• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter 4

Guile's outfit reminds me of D. Dark. Sonic Boom Explosives anyone?

Guile's outfit reminds me of D. Dark. Sonic Boom Explosives anyone?
It is Doctrine Dark's outfit. Did they have to get that past Arika or something?

*waits for Skullomania*

It is Doctrine Dark's outfit. Did they have to get that past Arika or something?

*waits for Skullomania*

Makes me wish they would just pay them so they can make SF EX4.

Last edited:
Arika is an entire company.

After a year of playing more often, I noticed myself landing links and doing attacks with so much ease now. I've never been that good at fighting games, but this is honestly such an incredible feeling, it just makes me want to play even more.

That’s great, I know the feel, Street Fighter 4 is not really my style but if you get the hang of it its pretty fun.

I think I use the new costumes to push myself into SF4 again. I played Ultra a few times; problem is I only really know how to play Hugo now. I tried to play Oni again, I remember being fairly good with him back in AE, but I got my ass kicked so bad I crawled into a corner and wanted to die.

So my Oni will now put on a mask so that nobody can remember him and laugh, and I will try to figure this demon out again.

Also guys, have some new titles that can be unlocked through the "Prize Code" option in "Player Data":

Capcom Fighter - 8TGIXJVLEKEHG8
Chocolate-Chip Cookie - 2592B6JIV6CR49
Breath of Summer - H3EO9O5MZTCMLQ
Cheers! - 0QLBUU3LB7R8WO
Better Luck Next Time! - M42OLW0IHGLGMJ
Pro Animator - T9N4MH7IIHT3R0
Angry Dog - LPTPV4J9PMLW5B
Justice till the End - 1H98PF2079P43T
Best Combo - 82SPR56FW3JX48
Lightning Blast - XVCXTA1Y16R9AG
Bold Cat - OFU11HD1VC3TJ5

Last edited:
Reactions: Nonckiewicz
Got my copy a couple of days ago. I waited for the retail version to spare my HDD, get the DLC costumes and mostly in hopes it would be a little more polished than the digital release...and how wrong I was! In less than one hour, I was already stumbling upon load screens that don't go anywhere and playing vs CPU completely disabled the HUD. Top notch work, Capcom! d(^_^)b
A quick Google search led me to folks facing the same problem and the solution was deleting the SSFIV data and install the USFIV one.

Anyway, I haven't played the game in ages (truthfully, SG has been the only fighter I played in the last couple of years or so) and it's being tricky to get re-accustomed to the game's pace (namely the frame-traps and vulnerable jumps). And after all the time with SG, some of Mike's gameplay design criticisms are really hitting home, namely the use of 3P/3K. Even with the button macros, it feels more cumbersome than hitting two of those. Not to mention the mess that is using teleport moves with characters that have DP moves...

From the new characters, I'm liking Poison the most. Been playing her a bit like how I play Juri (my main), mostly trying to keep the opponent just within reach for c.MK, s.MK and s.HP.
Oni (he's new for me) seemed interesting too despite the fact I was disappointed by his inclusion (besides the usual Shoto complaints, he seemed a bit too DBZ-y for SF) but I really his move set and the Niou Guardian elements that permeate the design. Somehow, he felt much harder to use than the average Shoto.

Got kind of a direct but probably very complex question: any tips for dealing with corner-pressure? It's certainly my Achilles' Heel in this game. With the aforementioned frame-traps and unsafe jumps, I really have no idea how to deal with those situations.
As a Juri player, I have the (probably bad) habit of using neutral j.HK to or a EX 214+K to try and get out of corners. I know that with Juri's particular case, she has 214+P but it's kind of a gamble.

As with SG, if anyone is ever interested in some FKN CASUL matches, feel free to let me know.
PS3 / Europe (with maybe a decent connection with US East Coast)

you deal with corner pressure by being patient blocking and waiting for an opportunity

as people blockstring you they will be pushed away and give you room to control space and stop them from moving back inside

most players like to jump to try to open you up if you're blocking strings, which is your opportunity to antiair them and get outside

as juri specifically s.mk is your best poke to keep people from walking at you, s.lk is very good also, cr.mk xx lk senpusha will give you a lot of space and is relatively safe as long as you use it towards the end of cr.mk range

if they go low constantly you can use s.hk from farther ranges or f.mk at closer ones to go over lows

cr.mp is your best antiair, and juri can typically dash under after that aa so that they are in the corner and you are out, j.mp is her best air to air if you know someone is going to jump, j.mp cl.hp xx ex fuhajin (lk mk) will give you a lot of space

ex senpusha is a good option if they're constantly going for tick throws or unsafe mixups but it should be used very sparingly as it's more or less a free ultra punish in most matchups

Reactions: Balder
I mainly Turtle and the only offensive characters I play with are Ibuki and Guy.

Played some games with Oni, slowly getting my experience back. I love this character, even if he looks a little bit out of place. And that new costume looks awesome, I like it.

Shame that all the cool guys around here play on PSN, I would love to play some matches with you. If there are any 360-players who search for a punching bag, add me. But please remember I live in Europe, timezones and connection are a thing. I get a much better connection in September, maybe its nicer then.

I mostly like to play Guile, Ibuki, Guy, and Honda.

speaking of, I hate Honda's costume, if only because his gut seems to be sticking out way too far.

I want to give this game another shot, but I don't know who to play. I always fall back on things like projectiles or command crossovers, so I'd like to play a character with good footsies and no fancy stuff. Like Makoto, but maybe easier to play? Any suggestions?

well, if you want projectile versatility, Gouken's hadokens can go in 3 directions depending on input.

Ryu isn't in dire need of fancy stuff to succeed.

I'm not an expert so please dont hit me, but I think Cammy is pretty much straight forward too.

I would say the play whoever you like and have the most fun with but with you mentioned specifically Ryu mainly for fireballs and straight forward footsies, Fei Long because he is the street fighter equivalent of Bruce lee and Guile because he is good defensive character. Note I am not that great at this game so this might not be the best advice.

I always recommend just going back to Ryu. He's still extremely solid in most areas ( 3-frame reversal, easy to connect Ultras, great normals and can link pretty much anything, etc... ) and playing Ryu really allows you to practice fundamentals. Except for like, Viper and Seth and Fuerte, pretty much the entire cast is just some sort of variation of Ryu.

Plus, one of the best aspects of Ryu is that you can play him in a variety of ways, so it really lets the player play how they want to more than some characters let you.

edit: too many words

Thanks for the ideas! I'll give cammy and fei long a try. I used to play ryu, but I'm sick of hadokens being my crutch.

I'm recently trying to get into Ultra Street Fighter IV, but the inputs are so damn strict compared to Skullgirls. I'm trying to learn Poison, but she doesn't have any trials, the training mode is garbage and neither Shoryuken or Event hubs have any standard bnb's for her to learn.

I'm recently trying to get into Ultra Street Fighter IV, but the inputs are so damn strict compared to Skullgirls. I'm trying to learn Poison, but she doesn't have any trials, the training mode is garbage and neither Shoryuken or Event hubs have any standard bnb's for her to learn.

Ask and ye shall receive, video not made by me.

Reactions: Balder
I want to give this game another shot, but I don't know who to play. I always fall back on things like projectiles or command crossovers, so I'd like to play a character with good footsies and no fancy stuff. Like Makoto, but maybe easier to play? Any suggestions?

balrog is probably the best choice

rose is another good basics oriented character but her pacing is less flexible and she's more reliant on an understanding of frame traps

guile and fei long are two decent choices, but they're heavily stacked towards defense and offense respectively so you might find them too limiting

cammy is mostly setplay and links, she isn't a terrible choice but if you wanted to work on fundamentals she wants to spend as little time as possible in neutral so you won't really do that much

Reactions: MysteriousJ
ePeAHv5.gif

There, now I never have to play this game again.

well, if you want projectile versatility, Gouken's hadokens can go in 3 directions depending on input.
I recently try "to Gouken", and it was great. He fits into my playstyle.
Fast and multi directional fireballs, grest sweep, DP palm goes over projectiles, Ex Tatsu got big range. Plus, demon flip's always cool. And tons of juggles (but most of them are too tricky for my skil,l at this moment). Also inputs are not that demanding. I think i'm gonna stick with him.

But if you want character with good footsies, give Boxer a try. I like him a lot. He have lots of armored moves (also Ultra and TAP, that goes over projectiles).
I also like Yung. He have better buttons than Yun (for neutral game), and he's just much more fun to play.
Rose is cool, but i can't get used to her, cos her pokes are strange to me. But yeah, you can win Evo with her fundamental play ;).

Also, Ryu and Flowchart Ken ofc :)

Balrog has some of the best normals in the game, definitely a great character for learning footsies and space control.

I always thought Balrog was an aggressive character capable of good pressure instead of a footie based one

I always thought Balrog was an aggressive character capable of good pressure instead of a footie based one
Balrog can play very aggressively with his excellent jab, jumpins, dash punches and frame traps

can play extremely defensively with his highly safe space control tools and invincible aa and excellent normal aas

or can alternate and play a footsies game with his excellent counterpokes and walk speed/tick throw game with his jab

balrog is good at anything he's doing, you just have to be cognizant of the situation and what you want to do since many of his options require a charge

he's an excellent option for someone trying to get good at neutral in particular because all of his play is spacing and timing dependent, and you have a lot of offensive and defensive options none of which could be considered "gimmicky"

Reactions: dMags
So, guys, I need some Goukens bnb for Ultra.
Can anyone help me?

Which one? U1 can be used after a forward throw, as well as the super, you even get full cinematic out of it. There’s certainly fancier ways to do it, but when I played Gouken I just did Throw->U1. I’m not good at SF, I know ;P

U2 can be used like many fireballs, as juggle, if you don’t load it. Think it even works after the EX-charge move if timed right, but I’m not sure, never played with that one much.

Reactions: Nonckiewicz
Hey, if some beginner/casual player want to spar, give me a call on PM :)
I can play on PC (best option), or PS3 (can do, but i prefer PC).

(for best connection - central Europe area)

I have ultra but I can never combo lol I don't get the hole how to connect the hit anyone mind sharing tips on how to connect/link combos in this game I decided to finally try out street fighter total noob xD thanks

Ok, so i am probably worst person to answer that, because i have never did a single combo on real match (in training mode, sure :D ).

Secret to comedy and combos, it's all about timing.
With links, you have to input next move, in the moment when animation of previous move ends.
So you have to wait a bit.
With Ryu lp > lp ~~ mp, you have to do in rhythm: BAM BAM wait for it BAM.
Set dummy to autoblock, and try that.
If move don't come out, you are doing it to fast (looks like this: lp comes out, lp comes out, you press mp and mp doesn't come out)
If dummy blocked, you're doing it to slow (looks like this: lp comes out, lp comes out, mp comes out but dummy blocked).
You have to find this moment between this two speeds.

I can link some video guides about it, but thats basically it.
And, i use Ryu as example, but combo lp lp mp xx special works on (i think) every character, with small adjustments (sometimes only one lp, sometimes lk, sometimes mk, you can google it or test it).

I am a lame player, but i am trying to git gud, so i know few things - I will by happy to help :)

Reactions: ArchangelOfFate
Also, you don't really need combos, you can punish with some simple cancel, like Ryu cr.mk xx fireball.
cr.MP and cr.MK are usually special cancelable (again, with some variations, you have test of look into frame data)

I took a break from SFIV shortly after Ultra came out because of some of the in-game issues, and I haven't really been keeping up with the news either. Has there been any indication if/when the big list of problems people found will be addressed?

I have ultra but I can never combo lol I don't get the hole how to connect the hit anyone mind sharing tips on how to connect/link combos in this game I decided to finally try out street fighter total noob xD thanks
It'd help if you could give us an idea of what characters you're playing.

Reactions: ArchangelOfFate
Plinking helps me get the timing right you should try that

Has there been any indication if/when the big list of problems people found will be addressed?
Are you looking for bug-fix list, or balance changes?
For bugs, i don't know.
But for the balance - go to capcom fighters YT channel (they did video about every character), or SRK wiki (more detailed lists of changes).

my two cents:

- plinking is great and excellent for difficult combos, but it may be a tad much to think about for a beginner so if you can't grasp this concept or if it makes things too hard at first, don't worry about it. You can get by without it
- I always always always recommend beginners play Ryu first. He is the most fundamental character and is extremely versatile in how you can play him. Almost all of his normals can link into eachother and he will allow you to practice almost every aspect of the game.
- TRIALS -> if you need help with combos, this is your best bet. Even though they are all from Super SF4, majority of them still work and this mode will give you a very solid "lesson plan" to follow

Are you looking for bug-fix list, or balance changes?
For bugs, i don't know.
But for the balance - go to capcom fighters YT channel (they did video about every character), or SRK wiki (more detailed lists of changes).

He talks about bugs and stuff like weird hitboxes that basically make Elena a ghost.

I have heard them working on it, but no real announcement to that matter yet.

Yeah, I was talking more about the bugs relating to each character - moves that were supposed to no longer do X after the changes doing X even more than before, etc.

or like DeeJay's CH Medium upkicks doing less damage than normal upkicks.....RIP

Aside from all the bugfixes and the trials that we were promised, I really hope the netcode issues get resolved, it's miserable playing on PSN now.