• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

I'm sure they'll change her story a bit to make her fit.
tbh, I really don't mind her since she comes off as a homage to Athema Asamiya from the Psycho Soldier games and the KoF games.
and are we really gonna go into OP characters when we got a guy who is so physically strong that he has to put his arms in cuffs just to make fights fun, AND Charlie?

yeah see but there's reasonable OP and then there's unreasonable OP
Like Date's Heart Break Shot in Ippo is reasonable OP, because even if it's OP, it needs to connect
If there was a boxer whose signature move was shooting you in the face with a gun and it was allowed, then that would be unreasonable OP, because he shoots you in the face
with a gun

Reactions: Shockdingo
I think the thing I dislike most about it is the fact she's apparently connected to Bison for a very thin and stupid reason.
Like, ok.
You want me to believe the most iconic villain in the franchise who was around for 10-15 years before this white haired tart was retroactively changed to have his power from this fancy pants motherfucker who literally never showed up before?
No, i'm not swallowing that pill.
You already complicate shit enough with Rose and her opposition to Bison.
Speaking of that, what's Ingrid's connection to her, huh? :T

Well, Rose and Bison are 2 sides of the same person...

The common idea is that Rose is Bison's good part, that he got rid off to maximize his psycho powers. At least is what i've heard.

And stupid powerful characters?like akuma, or oni? There isn't a single crime in Ingrid that hasn't been done before with anoter street fighter character, honestly.

The crime is the stupid retcon that comes out of nowhere.
If she had absolute 0 connection to Bison they'd be fine.
stupids retcons from nowhere are a common thing in street fighter.

Like, how Bison survived the Shun Goku Satsu, or how gouken is alive, maybe even Akuma existence in SF2 can be considered at this point.

Well, Rose and Bison are 2 sides of the same person...

The common idea is that Rose is Bison's good part, that he got rid off to maximize his psycho powers. At least is what i've heard.

And stupid powerful characters?like akuma, or oni? There isn't a single crime in Ingrid that hasn't been done before with anoter street fighter character, honestly.
in the comic, Rose is actually a student of Bison's former master.
and that the psycho powers are actually a forbidden art.
and that Rose is actually a body with the consciousness of his former master infused inside, which grants her the same power as her master.

Yeah again she time travels and has a purified power of the psycho power bison has.... yet you can defeat her in a fight.... again how is she 100% with flaw and any chance for reason classified as op... or is just being a god and a pretty light looking psycho power mean screw this anime chick she is op?

Although again I would totally be 100% down with her story being reworked so she makes "sense" to the people that don't like her so.

I hope they add her and make gamer dudes mad like they did with Lucky Chloe. Besides they said they wanted to add characters that make you go "What really?!?" so far this seems like a good candidate judging by the reactions of them even tweeting some fan art.

in the comic, Rose is actually a student of Bison's former master.
and that the psycho powers are actually a forbidden art.
and that Rose is actually a body with the consciousness of his former master infused inside, which grants her the same power as her master.
What the fuck

... Wow actually by Caly's point that makes sense by peoples reactions to add her.... I wonder what other few returning characters might fit into that reaction factor.

i just dislike the fact that Ingrid is a freaking goddess who was fighting with common Street Fighters.

It just takes out all the fun seeing two somewhat normal fighters using fantastic fighting styles and unbelievable powers to beat each other up, only to have a God roll up and be like yeah I want to fight too. Gods don't belong on the streets kicking around mortals, and don't even say that people like Ryu or Rose could try to match Ingrid's power, she controls time, is seemingly immortal, and she holds near infinite power. Ingrid is on a whole different lvl compared to Ryu.

Besides they said they wanted to add characters that make you go "What really?!?"
You can only do that so much though, we're half the cast in and there are already a minimum of two characters who fit the bill, I'd argue Vega as well, that caught most people off guard, that makes a third of the revealed cast, over doing it is rash, especially when a lot of people are expecting Ono to pull a switch like this in October anyway.

who was fighting with common Street Fighters.
What game are you playing? Capitalization, cute.

What the fuck
I don't remember it exactly to a T, but I think I remember that's pretty much how it went in the comics.
I don't wanna check my trade paperbacks because every time I do they fall apart more each time.

why the trades gotta be like that Udon?!
WHY?!

That's why I find her interesting, she reminds me of slayer who's not even really fricken trying in the least in GG makes me appreciate there abilities even more to say the least... also Rose's story always bugged me a bit.... I mean I respect she is here and Ive seen great players use her... but am I the only one who wants to understand why Bison's...umm good side is a women? Or was the Game story for her the same as the comic... iono she always kind of confused me a little.

That's why I find her interesting, she reminds me of slayer who's not even really fricken trying in the least in GG makes me appreciate there abilities even more to say the least... also Rose's story always bugged me a bit.... I mean I respect she is here and Ive seen great players use her... but am I the only one who wants to understand why Bison's...umm good side is a women? Or was the Game story for her the same as the comic... iono she always kind of confused me a little.
If i'm not mistaken, all the dolls are Bison spare bodies, and Abel, and Seth...

Maybe Rose is a doll body, posessed by bison's good side?

That would actually make rose more interesting in my opinion.

I don't understand how people can hate ingrid so much.

She is just another awesome character that never got the proper spotlight the deserved and had fans wanting more and more of them every iteration since their first appearance.

see: Ingrid, Karin, Q, Skullomania, R.mika, etc

Reactions: Lunerstep
the dolls are girls who have been brainwashed except for Cammy and Decapre who are clones of Bison.
in the comics, Rose was a girl who was studying under Bison's master.
and Bison obtained psycho power through forbidden tomes which Rose's master hid kept secret.

I actually did pull out my trades just to find it.
thankfully they didn't crumble in my hands

Thank you Sano ^^

the dolls are girls who have been brainwashed except for Cammy and Decapre who are clones of Bison.
in the comics, Rose was a girl who was studying under Bison's master.
and Bison obtained psycho power through forbidden tomes which Rose's master hid kept secret.

I actually did pull out my trades just to find it.
thankfully they didn't crumble in my hands
Is just wise to remember that comics are not necessarily canon. But i don't know, Alpha series is so confusing.

Is just wise to remember that comics are not necessarily canon. But i don't know, Alpha series is so confusing.
oh I know the comics aren't exactly the most canon.
but they do provide some explanations to things to things that aren't exactly explained themselves.

On a related note, Capcom UK released those videos some time ago, they might be helpful.

Rose is a character that i like a lot, i want to see her eventually in SFV, being honest.

...was I alone in the thought that rose's sprite kinda seemed cooler then her 3D model?

Vanilla SFIV 3d models are bad...

I mean, some people say SFIV in general, but i like a lot of characters that were made after super. (makoto, juri, poison, Oni, etc).

As far as Ingrid goes, I think it'd be cool if they possibly played up her arrogance, or made her, while still some powerful being, into someone who misteps their bounds and ends up creating more problems for the heroes rather than fixing them a la Deus Ex Machina-style. Possibly even being captured by Bison or something due to her scoffing at humanity trying to use her powers. This could also possibly be an excuse for her to get powered down and be more on the level of everyone else. Hell, instead of Bison, it could have been a showdown with a now super-powered Gill or some such and thus the Illuminati got ahold of her.

Point is I think there are things they can do with her, provided they play up certain aspects of her personality and make more relevant to the prologue and as a creator of problems, whether as a good guy or not, than as a savior of everyone's ass.

Or she could be a non-canon for whatever story is going on and just have for the sake of having her...but I'd prefer that for after the initial roster.

I know this is pointing out the obvious but most of the hate in this thread, most, not all, is on a story basis. And this is Street Fighter we're talking about, it's almost always stupid, and yes, Ingrid is her own level of stupid, but this is a fighting game. I don't know how she plays, but I think that's more important to her inclusion.

Which brings me to the second, obvious, point; we're talking about this because the Street Fighter twitter tweeted fan art of her and basically said "will she appear again". That statement doesn't mean anything, personally I think she could show up as DLC at some point, but there is nothing suggesting that now. Hell, the twitter also recently put up a Honda cosplayer and Alex's Rival Schools art, somehow I really doubt either of these characters are in the SFV launch roster either.

I never liked the idea of Ingrid being a mainline Street Fighter character. Her presence always seemed more fitting for crossover games, which she was originally designed for anyway. I think the criticisms against her inclusion in SF are fairly valid from a thematic standpoint. Just because SF characters are over the top doesn't mean that all manner of exaggeration necessarily fits the series' aesthetic. The logic that considers Ingrid a good fit for Street Fighter could also be applied to characters like Morrigan, or Captain Commando, who have appeared in more games alongside SF characters anyway. If even Ingrid's supporters are generally okay with Capcom rebooting her backstory, or personality, to me that just reiterates the issues with her character in regards to this franchise.

Also, people bring up Athena Asamiya as a counter example, but don't forget that KOF is considered a crossover game for the SNK universe, which is why characters like Ralph and Clark also fit in. While they did make those characters feel more grounded compared to their source material, they still probably would not have been considered for SNK's more "conventional" fighting game series, like Art of Fighting/Fatal Fury/Garou.

Obviously none of this matters if Capcom decides to put Ingrid in SFV, but we'll see what they end up doing. I would personally prefer them to just make a new young female type character instead.

If even Ingrid's supporters are generally okay with Capcom rebooting her backstory, or personality, to me that just reiterates the issues with her character in regards to this franchise.
wait, why would it be a bad thing if they are aware there are problems with Ingrid's story?
wouldn't fixing those things be y'know, a good thing?
and tbh, I think people are okay with it because people seem to have gona ape shit over Ingrid getting some love in general.
hell, even Woolie got upset over that Ingrid tweet.
this is like, dangerously close to Decapre salt levels.

wait, why would it be a bad thing if they are aware there are problems with Ingrid's story?
It's not a bad thing, but if people acknowledge "problems" with Ingrid's story, then they're also acknowledging "problems" with Ingrid. It's obvious that a lot of people don't care much for the story aspect of Street Fighter, but other people do. Changing her backstory significantly would basically be like creating a different character.

It's kinda like with SG, how some people want Fukua to be written into canon, while other people don't. The difference with Fukua, is that she was always considered a joke character from the start, so in future games, L0 could rewrite her in whatever manner they felt appropriate. Ingrid's origins, on the other hand, are more ambiguous. Any big changes to Ingrid's backstory could basically retcon her presence in Alpha 3 Max, which is the game that makes us consider her significant to SF in the first place. Just seems like it's not really worth the trouble to reinvent the character that much to keep her in the series.

Personally, I don't really have a problem with Ingrid's existence in the SF universe (like with SFxT), I just don't think she needs to be playable in another Street Fighter game. I'd rather see Capcom work on a new crossover fighting game instead, and feature her alongside other Capcom characters that could use the attention.

But street fighter has a problem with its story, period.

Every reason, besides the "she is too powerful", for someone not want ingrid in a street fighter game, is the same for not wanting any character in the game.

And the fact that she is too powerful is passable, we already got characters way above the power tiers: Oni, Oro, Cody, Gen, Akuma, the fact that she is above that level doesn't make a difference, because those characters should be unbeatable already.

I'm okay with Ingird coming back, and I'm saying that if they wanna change her story a bit to make her fit better/make people happy, by all means, let them.

creators can change whatever the fuck they want about their characters. or they can keep them the same. who am I to tell them what to do?

I don't need my Street fighter to make perfect sense, just like I don't need my Skullgirls to.

Ingrid, though, is just the laziest shit. I'm sorry. "Ha, ha, ha! My power levels dwarf your own!" is the most boring character trait of all time, right above, "I don't need anyone's help," and, "I refuse to reveal my dark secret even though it's really not a big deal and not telling it is actually fucking up everyone's situation."

Yes, Akuma is stupid, as is Sephiroth, as is every 14 yr old boy's fantasy of what a super cool evil magical martial arts guy is. Ingrid and her ilk are just the 14yr old boy's fantasy of what a cute magical school girl goddess is. They shouldn't be making more stupid characters just because there's a precedent.

Reactions: Shockdingo and Aden
so you're saying that all characters who only pretend to get knocked out are bad characters?
because that's the kind of thing Elizabeth and Hazama do.
also Slayer.

Oni, Oro, Cody, Gen, Akuma
Well, look at those guys you listed. They all look like people that enjoy hitting things. That's at least the one aspect of Street Fighter that Capcom's been fairly consistent about over the years.

Basically, if a SF character doesn't fit a martial arts movie or wrestling trope, they at least show up wearing their fighting gloves/sport gear/thong/super-powered fighting suit, or he/she is just some brutish freak of nature like Q or Blanka. Ingrid's the only character I can think of that doesn't fit this mold in some way, and I think that's why she stands out. Her default look and demeanor are like a SF character's Alt costume.

On that note, when was the last time we saw a female "freak" character in SF anyway? I'm starting to wish that they had made Necalli a girl.

creators can change whatever the fuck they want about their characters.
Yeah, I think we all know this. At least, I hope we do. We're just talking about video game stuff on a messageboard. *shrug*