• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Chainsaw Incident - Another fighting game being crowdfunded

Yeah, it looks like they use a lot of software tweening in their animations, which means they don't have to animate as many frames. They probably have fewer moves per character, too, based off the assumption that they aren't using 6-button controls.

I wouldn't back them, anyway. The page doesn't have any good info on the mechanics and the guys behind it didn't know what hitstop or other basic things are when asked. Fighting games attract people who don't know how they work trying to make the Newest Hit One.

Reactions: ClarenceMage
The breakdown that skullgirls gave for their own project does not necessarily mean that every fighting game project needs that much money. The animations in chainsaw incident are of much lower quality than skullgirls'.
It's kind of difficult to actually scam people on kickstarter; if they don't do what they say they'll do, you get a refund. This goes double when they apparently worked hard on a demo version.

Looks like Flash.
Wouldn't say that. Flash is a pretty shit program for making pretty much any game, doubt they would actually use it for this.

edit:
I wouldn't back them, anyway. The page doesn't have any good info on the mechanics and the guys behind it didn't know what hitstop or other basic things are when asked. Fighting games attract people who don't know how they work trying to make the Newest Hit One.
"forged by the minds that brought you Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur and more"
How would they have that many veteran fighting game devs but not know what hitstop is?

Looks like Flash.
Wouldn't say that. Flash is a pretty shit program for making pretty much any game, doubt they would actually use it for this.
By that, I meant:
Yeah, it looks like they use a lot of software tweening in their animations
Using such methods requires much less time and manpower. Quality is a matter of opinion.

This game looks decent. I will say that it has some insane looking character designs though.

I might keep my eye out for this game.

"forged by the minds that brought you Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur and more"
How would they have that many veteran fighting game devs but not know what hitstop is?
You, sir or madam, are the demographic they are marketing towards.
Do you also believe that Coke as a faceless corporation cares about how happy you are when you drink it? :^)

Remember there are many different aspects of making a game, in any genre.
I doubt many animators/character designers/modelers know what hitstop is, let alone grok most other aspects of fighting game design.

Need to see more about the gameplay and mechanics.

But it really looks cool.

Don't misunderstand me... It looks cool as hell, and shows a lot of potential, but sometimes you just don't "feel" the game well...

It's hard to explain...

I like the look of the game, but I agree that something feels odd about the Kickstarter. Even "tweened" animation at this level takes a lot of man-hours, so either the Animation Director has been doing a ton of work on his own time, or he's been pulling favors from somewhere. Anyway, with such a tight budget, I'm really curious to see how the end product turns out.

It's almost too bad that this is aiming to be a traditional fighting game. I actually think the visuals would fit right in with a Guardian Heroes style beat-em-up.

The reason you aren't feeling it is because there is no hitstop/screen shake and even the hit effects are quite week.

Basically it feels like they are punching soft pillows or something.

The reason you aren't feeling it is because there is no hitstop/screen shake and even the hit effects are quite week.

Basically it feels like they are punching soft pillows or something.
By "quite weak" there's no hitsparks or pushback. The hitsparks are one thing, but without pushback this pile of shit is gonna be Infinite City.

Between mandatory fatalities, misuse of the word "super," 2 bizarre unintuitive extra buttons, no decided upon movelists for the characters, an inability to look like they actually know how to play the game well in the promo videos (worse than Injustice, and those were 5 minute long stretches of pure pain), a freakishly low budget with only a vague outline of how it's being spent, and microtransactions already announced (why the fuck isn't anybody talking about this?) I will actually think less of the idiots who give these shitheads money.

I deleted a bunch of stuff in here. Try to stay loosely on topic for at least the first page of the thread.

My main issue with this KS is the ludicrous pledge rewards they have listed. The $295 tier offers a huge stack of stuff, including a Razer arcade stick, mini figurine and T-shirt. The Razer alone costs $200, with the others probably coming to $30. Even if they get discounts for ordering bulk amounts of stuff that's still going to be a gigantic dent cut into the amount of money going to the game. (I'm not even factoring in shipping into this)

I watched the video and I was confused because of how there was no collision sensory and I couldn't tell whether its were happening. I wish they got their bearings before beginning this and showed us they had a full understanding of their own game.

I deleted a bunch of stuff in here. Try to stay loosely on topic for at least the first page of the thread.
This post needs to be deleted too. Caio said (in the post that you deleted) that he only made this post to spite Broken Loose. It is not on topic.
Im gonna give them money

I am gonna give them money tho

I am gonna give them money tho
I'd recommend against that, considering they don't know how to make a fighting game. Like given what we've seen here, about no one knowing the mechanics behind fighting games or how to play them being involved in the project, it's pretty clear the game they would make would be very bad.

Sorry for making an off topic post!

So far, what bothers me about this game is the LACK of an indication of hits. Visual and sounds, that shit is important in fighters (for me, at least). That was actually part of an issue for me when Skullgirls was developing. Hopefully, this is just very early on and they will integrate it further in development.

I'd recommend against that, considering they don't know how to make a fighting game. Like given what we've seen here, about no one knowing the mechanics behind fighting games or how to play them being involved in the project, it's pretty clear the game they would make would be very bad.

Sorry for making an off topic post!
I'll get beta access and a bunch of stuff, I have 20 bucks to spare so I might as well give it a try before dissing it. Besides, if they don't reach their goal I'll still get my money back. I really don't think I'll regret doing it.

It's almost too bad that this is aiming to be a traditional fighting game. I actually think the visuals would fit right in with a Guardian Heroes style beat-em-up.

One of my dreams is an Skullgirls beat'em up spinoff with the characters that don't got onto the game. Then there would be new "campaigns" added with a new character, stages and enemies added as DLC every now and then. Add online and offline multi-player where 2 people on one computer could play with other two online.

Also, the main cast could be added as a bonus on these DLC (like "download hive 'queen of the lab' campaign and you can unlock Peacock as a bonus character to your game"

A man can dream, can't he?

Am I the only one who thinks putting a limit on the number of people could donate the lower pledges is a very stupid idea? Some of their lower pledges have limits and a majority are all gone.

Am I the only one who thinks putting a limit on the number of people could donate the lower pledges is a very stupid idea? Some of their lower pledges have limits and a majority are all gone.
It looks like the pledging is screwed up? Because the limited pledges look to be the same as some of the unlimited ones. And one of them appears to have no description of the rewards in that tier.

upload_2014-5-8_15-23-56.png

To be fair, it's only two dollars.
I love the concept of chains everywhere.

So, I think I have seen some teasers of this game floating around the Internet before, but looks like they started their Kickstarter about 10 days ago. Don't see any discussion of it here really so figured I'll make a thread.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/origo/the-chainsaw-incident-a-dark-fantasy-fighting-game

The art looks pretty nice but the gameplay they have showed or explained so is pretty minimal so I can't find anything to be get my excitement up. They did get a pretty experienced Japanese developer into the project but the vast majority of the guy's CV is in 3D fighters so I have no idea how his skills would transfer to a 2D fighter. I also have no idea how the game is supposed to work with their explanation:
  • In tune with the theme of the game, the combat system within Game has 5 buttons - Light, Medium, Heavy, Gas, and Clutch.
  • The Gas allows players to chain combos, but is of limited use.
  • The Clutch can be used for balancing chain combos and enhancing or canceling special attacks.
  • Each character will have a basic super attack and the ability to and if we reach our milestones, there will be up to 3 movesets to select from.
  • Every character will have a distinct, fully animated final super move that can be activated at the end of the final round.
Okay, so L, M and H are obvious enough. Dunno what exactly the Gas button is supposed to do.... maybe something like the Killer Instinct combo system? And the Clutch button is for "balancing" chain combos. Huh?

I'll probably pledge a small amount and keep an eye on it. What do you guys think?

don't know why but I think it would do great on the ipad or other touch pad like devices (it just has that look)
also untill I hear about it's boxer character potential I'm indifferent...good art though

I want to get hype for this game, I really do. I love the goth aesthetics and the character designs and the twisted humor and chainsaws and all that good stuff... But they haven't really discussed the actual gameplay at all. Maybe I'll be more excited when development is a little further.

If it turns out to not suck, I could totally get into it.

I've been aware of this via Facebook since late last year.

I was initially really turned off by their Kickstarter, but it seems they've gone back and made some adjustments and reworded some stuff. On day one you could get beta access pretty cheap, but it was $70+ to actually get the game upon release. That's since changed, so maybe I'll reconsider.

Yeah, the Kickstarter isn't looking too good, with only about 7% pledged after 1/3 of the time passed. They might be better off to relaunch a better-designed campaign later. And the FGC isn't really going to be very excited with so little info about the actual game.

Are there any match videos of the game in it's current state? It looks like they have two working characters.

The video was a mock up of the possible gameplay, its not real gameplay, just an example of what it could be.

We just had a thread about this, it seems.

http://skullgirls.com/forums/index....-make-a-fighting-game-with-a-low-budget.3035/

Long story short, the game looks terrible.
Oh whoops. Mods please delete and/or merge this thread with the older one then. That one doesn't have the game title in the topic so I didn't know it was about this.

But yeah, the mockup looks completely terrible and obviously made by someone who doesn't know much about actual fighting game design, but I believe it was made before they got the Japanese designer on board so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see if a good gameplay designer (the Japanese guy or otherwise) will get involved in the project and make this game decent. Skullgirls started from similar origins, if you guys remember.

At least when Lab Zero was pitching Skullgirls to publishers, they had a playable demo, and MikeZ was taking the game in progress to whatever tournaments he was going to so that actual players could play it.

It's way too early for these guys to be making a Kickstarter and ask people for money. I need to see a realized concept at least.