• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Cooking Thread

baking is extremely hard, it's a science and unlike cooking you can't make one error

But science is in everything

Anyways if someone can explain how to make macarons not hollow that would be fantastic. I've looked up and tried a lot of things but they aren't workong out most of the time.

I've tried that

The one batch that turned out right used

2 egg whites
3/4 cup almond flour
1 cup powder sugar
1/4 regular sugar
@325 F for ~10 minutes (i think)

If you ever need motivation to step on puppies, I'd suggest trying to make these things come out right.

I'm a college student living on a low budget so I'm attempting to cook rice balls with part-rice part-sticky rice filled with abon (shredded jerky) on a daily basis. Hope it'll save me more money.

I'm a college student living on a low budget so I'm attempting to cook rice balls with part-rice part-sticky rice filled with abon (shredded jerky) on a daily basis. Hope it'll save me more money.

There are a lot of easy dishes you can cook on a tight budget, for example fisherman's pie or pork linguine.

Um I don't have an oven at my dorm (it's not common here anyway) plus cheap food in the West are usually relatively expensive here.

@Kuzlalala i'm not sure if you have this in asia (well because i never heard of any asian person using it) but if you're able to buy a crock pot (slow cooker) you can eat quite well and have big meals for quite cheap depending on the recipe.

http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/2012/12/12-easy-slow-cooker-crock-pot-asian.html
http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/8-ways-to-make-chinese-take-out-in-your-crockpot/

Honestly, it was a life savor for me because usually most recipes take about 6 hours, so what i would do is just simply before my classes set up my crock pot, put the food it and let it cook and by the time i got back it was nearly done

This is the first time in my life that I hear of recipes that take 6 hours
I think my fav thing in the world has to be boiled salmon
A pan, no oil, needs to be checked often, a lot of lemon juice and salt. Salmon is the food of the Gods, maaan. My mum makes the pasta with smoky salmon, black pepper and zucchini, it's something magical.

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja
This is the first time in my life that I hear of recipes that take 6 hours
I think my fav thing in the world has to be boiled salmon
A pan, no oil, needs to be checked often, a lot of lemon juice and salt. Salmon is the food of the Gods, maaan. My mum makes the pasta with smoky salmon, black pepper and zucchini, it's something magical.

Another good six hour dish is shredded lamb. Cook, serve and enjoy.

Reactions: agent13
Another good six hour dish is shredded lamb. Cook, serve and enjoy.

i really want to try beef stroganoff in a slow cooker to see how that turns out

anybody cook with Cast Iron pans a lot? I just got one and I seasoned it and all that jazz, gunna try and cook a steak tonight. My question is this, my apartment has poor ventilation ( it's an open layout, and the only window/outside door is on the opposite end of the apartment from the kitchen ) and I don't have a hood vent above my stove, but rather just a recirculating fan as part of the microwave. Just how smokey should i expect this to get? I'm guessing i should disconnect my smoke detector.

edit - also I agree with Chickenwithtie; Salmon is the food of Gods

anybody cook with Cast Iron pans a lot? I just got one and I seasoned it and all that jazz, gunna try and cook a steak tonight. My question is this, my apartment has poor ventilation ( it's an open layout, and the only window/outside door is on the opposite end of the apartment from the kitchen ) and I don't have a hood vent above my stove, but rather just a recirculating fan as part of the microwave. Just how smokey should i expect this to get? I'm guessing i should disconnect my smoke detector.

edit - also I agree with Chickenwithtie; Salmon is the food of Gods
Disconnecting your smoke detector is probably a good idea but as long as you take certain precautions it shouldn't be so bad. Don't go too wild with seasonings; salt and pepper is fine and anything more will add more smoke. Start with an oil that has a high flashpoint, like canola oil, peanut oil (better), or clarified butter* (BEST) on high heat until the meat is seared, then mop up the excess with tongs+paper towels. Lower your heat to medium high (or even medium for a bit if it seems smokey)** and then you can add in your flavorful oils that have lower flashpoints like olive oil or butter. Periodically spoon the oil over the meat to make sure it's cooked evenly and just do this until it's cooked to your liking. You can also sear the meat on the pan and then finish in the oven which is probably the best for smoke but I'm not familiar with the temperature/time you would need.

*If you don't know, clarified butter is made by putting a bunch of butter on medium heat until the milk solids separate from the fat, and then you filter out the solids. You can also let the solids cook longer in the butter until they get all brown and then filter them out (it's called ghee and omg it's so good). Not only does clarified butter have way more flavor than canola, it also has the highest flashpoint out of the three I listed earlier which means less smoke.

**Some might scoff at this step but it really helps to keep the smoke down. Spooning the oil over the meat will make sure that it still cooks evenly, so you shouldn't skip that. Also BE CAREFUL when using a metal spoon (it really does work the easiest) because that oil is hot af.

Man this ended up way longer than expected >_<

Last edited:
Reactions: dMags
I dunno, all i eat is blood.

I love that I can go to skullheart to get cooking advice, thanks drewski. If it comes out dank, I'll take a pic with my low quality phone camera.

Reactions: drewski
Steak came out awesome on the cast iron, and it didn't produce as much smoke as I had initially thought, so that's cool. I also made my own clarified butter, so now I have a tub of that in my fridge, which is also cool. next up is salmon, I usually cook salmon in a ceramic dish in the oven, so i'm excited to try it in the pan. following that I wanna try a pan pizza.

I also made my own clarified butter, so now I have a tub of that in my fridge, which is also cool.
I should mention that a grilled cheese using clarified butter is the most gorgeous/perfect looking sandwich ever

I can't remember the brand/model we had, but growing up as a kid we had one of these sandwich toasters. holy crap the BEST tuna melts ever

1469327_R_Z001A_UC1520367

So I remember a ghetto breakfast sandwich I made the other day:
Bread, Hot Dogs, Egg, and Cheese

- Butter on toast
- Cook scramble egg
- Cut hot dog in half long way then cook it
- And put it together

Snapshot_20150206_1.JPG

The one on the picture has leftover rice added to the sandwich because reason.

Reactions: dMags
You know what's better than Olive Garden? Doing Italian yourself :PUN:

Snapshot_20150404.JPG

The goods:
Pasta of any kind (the one on the pic is Ziti)
Meat of any kind (on the pic is chopped chicken but I normally do hot dogs)
Pasta sauce
Shredded cheese
Oil

Instructions:
- Pre-heat stove on High
- Pasta normally comes in one pound bag/box. But you only need 1/4 of it for yourself.
- Fill the pot with water fill half-way full
- Pour the pasta
- Add two tablespoons of oil
(Optional) Add Italian seasoning or all purpose seasoning
- Let the pasta cook for a while it will take anywhere from 15-25 minutes until it's fully cooked
- Once you see the water boiling toss your choice of chopped meat
- Always stir the pasta often or else they'll stick to the pot (and keep an eye on the pot might over flow)
- After 15 minutes, try a noodle and see if fully cooked. If it tastes rubbery, it's not done yet.
- Once you know the noodle is fully cooked be ready to drain the remaining water. CAREFUL: DON'T SPLASH BOILING WATER ON YOU!
- After draining, pour the pasta to a plate/bowl and add your choice of pasta sauce
(Optional) Sprinkle shredded cheese (or shake Parmesan cheese) on top of the sauce and microwave it for 30-60 seconds to melt the cheese

You also sprinkle cheese first, before adding pasta sauce if you prefer it that way. Adding Oregano to in the end makes it a perfect touch for flavor. i forgot to buy some :/ Bon Appetit!

Last edited:
Reactions: scottvincent
yo, the only thing I cook anymore is like, ramen.
but one thing you should always do is cook the noodles for six minutes instead of two.
the noodles get way softer and they're delicious.

also, beef ramen with just a little bit of Worcestershire sauce is just
oh, and if you can add in some grilled steak tips.
don't even get me started.

yo, the only thing I cook anymore is like, ramen.
but one thing you should always do is cook the noodles for six minutes instead of two.
the noodles get way softer and they're delicious.

also, beef ramen with just a little bit of Worcestershire sauce is just
oh, and if you can add in some grilled steak tips.
don't even get me started.
As I always say, Ramen is for pussies and your stomach will teach you a lesson one day.

Reactions: SanoBaron
I cook almost everyday and started to take photos to post for this thread, but never got around to doing it. I'll upload a few soon

As I always say, Ramen is for pussies and your stomach will teach you a lesson one day.
I still love it though. :P

Made my first Pizza from scratch yesterday

It consisted of:

Water
Pizza Yeast
salt
sugar
Bread Flour
Soy Oil (Since I was all out of Olive)
Mozzarella Cheese
and Bell Peppers

Is was my first time making anything like that so it wasn't exactly
the best thing in the world.
My older brother asking the pizza pan since he decide to make one too and
me having a really hard time saying "No." to just about anyone didn't make things
any better. The bottom could be compared to an overdone biscuit :P

But all things considered,
I think It came out pretty well n_n
cSEKYAy.png

Sorry for the quality, Took the pic from my phone n_n"

Last edited:
Reactions: 6-Let
Made my first Pizza from scratch yesterday
Snip
Man it's shame my oven don't work because I've been dying for some pizza. So I'm going to attempt a no-oven Pizza soon. There's a technique to do it on a stove top.

making a Pan pizza in cast iron has been on my list, haven't tried it yet though

also, I def recommend checking out this guy Matty Matheson, he's extremely entertaining to watch and certainly knows what he's doing. If you like this video, check out some of his other recipes

NSFW language

Reactions: 6-Let
Man it's shame my oven don't work because I've been dying for some pizza. So I'm going to attempt a no-oven Pizza soon. There's a technique to do it on a stove top.
Sounds Awesome,
I never knew you could cook pizza on a stove top.
(I guess that's where the term "Pan Pizza" refers too.)
Would love to hear how that turns out because, I might
end up making on my self.

I know this video recommendation probably wasn't meant for me but,
I'll check him out some time.
I doubt the Pizza yesterday will be the last thing I cook from scratch (| ‿◠)

I originally started taking photos for this thread several months ago, but now have too many to upload. Since there are so many I've created a Dropbox link to share all of my photos without breaking the thread:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z04ploocj1dz1i2/AADoSmcTW7mbEwg_l2_suKqfa?dl=0

The camera on my phone isn't very high quality, so there are a few blurry photos mixed in. More photos will be uploaded regularly through this link

I originally started taking photos for this thread several months ago, but now have too many to upload. Since there are so many I've created a Dropbox link to share all of my photos without breaking the thread:

The camera on my phone isn't very high quality, so there are a few blurry photos mixed in. More photos will be uploaded regularly through this link
WOAH! Shit just got real!

Reactions: Thrasher08

Your food looks absolutely superb!
Whatever you're doing, Keep it up!
n_n

Reactions: Thrasher08