• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Cooking Thread

Lettuce salad, rice and noodles.

Reactions: gllt
What a coincidence, I also made and am currently eating tortillas. Fillied with grilled chicken, cheese, taco sauce, and bell peppers.

Lettuce salad, rice and noodles.

Lettuce actually makes a great sandwich with a little mayo and salt. Rice is fantastic with butter and salt or a quick, thin gravy. Or even a bit of broth.
And I love noodles of most any kind with butter and garlic!

I tried to make oatmeal but it exploded...

I'm still learning.

You can make it in the microwave, oatmeal is kinda funny to cook, it really is. I like mine with brown sugar, maple syrup, and honey, because I'm bad. I eat the package pre-flavored ones because of this. It's also good on toast and with a slice of bacon or a fried egg sandwich. You should learn to fry an egg, it's a great way to get started!

What a coincidence, I also made and am currently eating tortillas. Fillied with grilled chicken, cheese, taco sauce, and bell peppers.

That sounds fantastic, I love grilled chicken and especially paired with tortillas, sauces, peppers, and cheese. I wouldn't mind a bit of spanish rice in there too, though, and some refried beans and chips on the side.

Reactions: Smarts and Calypsx
WOOOOAH. I need to learn how to cook for I'm going to be fending for myself when I move out in a few years (READ: College, blah blah blah). Any kitchen/newbie friendly recipes?

Wait, you can do that? The more you know~.

pasta sauce done with sweating the onion in rosemary and later adding basil
Greek salad and oh good lord you don't want to see what i'm making soon

WOOOOAH. I need to learn how to cook for I'm going to be fending for myself when I move out in a few years (READ: College, blah blah blah). Any kitchen/newbie friendly recipes?

Grilled cheese sandwhich and scrambled eggs are great starts, IMO. Also learn the basics of using the stove through some, well, half-hearted cooking. Heat up a can of soup, y'know? But if you're past that point, just start doing basic things. Fry some french fries from a bag is a good way to learn to deep fry. Bake some muffins from a mix that only requires milk/water and maybe an egg, follow the directions. Learn to cook a rib eye steak in a skillet or maybe a hamburger patty! You can find recipes for everything online and usually simple ones are available for people who want to work with limited ingredients or learn to cook it the first time. Branch out later and try things on your own, like adding milk to your eggs before scrambling them, or a new spice maybe.

• Grilled Cheese
  • Scrambled Eggs
  • Muffin Mix
  • Canned Biscuits
  • Sauteed Onions and Bell Peppers
  • Cheese Toast
  • Fried Eggs
  • Turkey Bacon (I find this would be an easier start compared to real bacon, a lot less grease to deal with when frying)
  • Rib Eye Steak
  • Fried Ham Slices (You can buy a ham steak (already cooked) and cut out a chunk about the size of a biscuit and fry it on both sides until it's brown)
  • Pretty much a lot of breakfast food actually is a good start
  • Soup from scratch! Broth (from bouillon or a can) some vegetables (fresh, frozen, canned) some meat (Frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts are a good idea, you can simply boil them!) maybe some noodles! Try to match a simple can of vegetable beef but with chicken and chicken broth.
  • Try making tacos! This will take a bit of learning about, but it's fun and you'll enjoy it. Try making something like sloppy joes first instead if you like. Learning to fry hamburger meat is good.
  • Boil eggs!
  • Make a salad! Learn to chop veggies.
Here's a simple soup I make. You'll learn a few things if you get it right.

Potato Soup
  • Peeled and diced white potatoes (red are fine too)
  • A white onion (yellow is fine too)
  • A red tomato (any size is fine)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • A chicken bouillon cube
  • A pot
  • Water
  1. Peel and dice your potatoes (red potatoes can leave the skin on, but wash and scrub them a bit!)
  2. Put them into a small pot of cold water and bring it to a boil. Add some salt and pepper.
  3. Peel and dice your onion, I just go with quarters of rings, honestly. You'll figure it out! Cut the ends off the onion first, that's a good start. You don't want the dry flaky layers.
  4. Put the onions in the soup.
  5. Boil the potatoes until they are close to what you'll learn as 'fork tender' (easy to pierce with a fork, but don't fall apart) You don't want them FULLY fork tender yet.
  6. Put in some chicken bouillon! You can do this to taste, it will dissolve in the hot water and it has a bit of salt in it, so don't oversalt or you'll not have so much fun. More potatoes will absorb oversalted soup.
  7. Put in hunks of tomato! You can use the canned 'stewed tomatoes' if you like, pull/cut out the little parts on the top and bottom and the stringy part from inside.
  8. Cook until the onions are soft and the potatoes are desirably tender. Sometimes I let mine fall apart a little.
  9. It's good with cornbread! You can use a cornbread mix package if you like, it's a good way to learn and work your way up. Get a 6 cup muffin pan, nonstick. It'll be good for other mixes too. Or put it in a big square pan, which you can also make brownies in.
I like mine with a slice of bacon, some fried ham, a breaded chicken tender (baked in the oven!), or just the cornbread. I make this a lot when someone is sick.

Okay, I need to right this down! I can't wait to try this when I get the time.

Yes! FOOD!!! I have no idea how to work this fancy camera but

rvv0JxY.jpg

Grilled cheese sandwich with sharp cheddar, green apple, black pepper and cayenne. And I realized I grated way too much cheese so I made it inside-out style. :D It was pretty dang good but I would probably leave out the black pepper next time. Also butter is not necessary if you are going to make an inside out grilled cheese (so oily >_<).

I'll be dead by 30

Also, to add onto all the awesome guidance gllt has given, I can say that most of the stuff I know about cooking (including super nuanced stuff like baking bread) I learned from channels on youtube and other resources on the internet. https://www.youtube.com/user/foodwishes presents practical recipes in a way that is really easy to digest, and has taught me a whole lot.

I also agree 100% with gllt on how scrambled eggs are a great start for cooking, because they are easy to make but difficult to cook just right, and the path to learning how to cook the "perfect" scrambled egg is filled with general cooking knowledge. :D

I'm not much of a chef, but sometimes I like putting together quick meals. In the southeastern US we have a grocery chain called Publix that puts out these badass recipe cards every week. I've been collecting them for years, and some of them are definitely favorites of mine to make in a quick fix. Years ago they had a "Sante Fe Salmon" recipe with a Rotel+Mayonnaise sauce that's hella fast to make, and actually tastes really good on Tilapia. Every so often I like to serve that up with some rice or mashed potatoes/cauliflower and have at it!

Speaking of fish, why does everyone have this thing against cheese and fish? I can certainly understand the flavor clash in some cases, but the way people describe it makes it sound like some unholy combination. How can something that's supposed to be bad taste so darn good? The recipe I mentioned above tastes amazing with some melted mozzarella on top!

My fav is pasta with sauce and eggballs for lunch but it's difficult to eat such a hot plate as pasta everyday in summer, so I often make friselle. It's toasted bread with tomatoes and hot mozzarella or tomatoes and casorelli(a cucumber-melon breed specific of my region), all with some salt and basil. For dinner I like to make eggs in various ways, my fav being scrambled and fried eggs with canned meat or boiled potatoes. When I'm way too lazy I just get milk and cereal

Reactions: drewski
NO IDEA if these are any good. HERE WE GO. Experiments are cool!

I'll say more about them later.

EDIT: THEY GOOD

gllt [ASG] #PunkIsDad: the left one is onions, mushrooms, pepperoni, mozzarella, and extra sharp cheddar (and a white flour tortilla with pizza sauce)
gllt [ASG] #PunkIsDad: the right one is pizza sauce, extra sharp cheddar, salsa, jalapenos, onions, and broken tortilla chips

Last edited:
Did they get soggy in the middle?

Only -very slightly- and in the very center, for the most part they handled better than my frozen pizzas come out.. size helps too though, smaller item, better soggy/crisp distribution. You could put them in an iron skillet and get a lot further!

Pot Roast + Gravy + Rice

Sirloin tip roast slow cooked in a crock pot with beef broth, worcestershire sauce, red wine and lime, salt, pepper, basil, garlic, onion, salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin.

When the roast is starting to fall apart, take the meat out. Pour the leftover broth into a saucepan, melt butter into it, whisk flour in until it's thick.

Split the beef up as much as you like, serve over rice and be crippled by the itis a few minutes later.

pita bread stuffed with cheese and pepperoni

It's like a lazy man's calzone

I had tried cooking my one food every so often but I am not so great at the moment though I do have a question @gllt, In your long list foods the one one post 11, an item stuck out at which leads me to ask, what are Canned biscuits?

have you guys had grilled cheese with egg in it? it is amazing

I had tried cooking my one food every so often but I am not so great at the moment though I do have a question @gllt, In your long list foods the one one post 11, an item stuck out at which leads me to ask, what are Canned biscuits?

007-600x450.jpg

have you guys had grilled cheese with egg in it? it is amazing

I've been making grilled cheese and turkey sandwiches lately. Wheat bread, one slice of provolone on one side, grated cheddar on the other, turkey in the middle. Fry over olive oil + basil.

Then I make this weird dipping sauce for them that's basically greek yogurt + tablespoon of milk + spices. The spices are more or less greek seasoning albeit with less basil and no mint; garlic, onion, basil, thyme, marjoram, oregano, salt and pepper.

NO IDEA if these are any good. HERE WE GO. Experiments are cool!
My aunt showed me those a long time ago! They're definitely an old standby. Next time I make 'em, I might go for a budget Flammkuchen instead, since I've discovered the textures are very similar. I think that'll call for a sour cream+cheese base for the sauce, but I'll have to try it out.

Naan is also pretty gdlk for fast pizza. Heck, if I'm lazy, sometimes I'll cover that stuff with some spinach and melted cheese, and just dip it right into the jar of tomato sauce.

'Course, I'm sure Chicken laughs at us whenever the topic of pizza comes up!

Reactions: chickenwithtie
That sounds interesting. Is it sweet?

Depends, if it's more near the melon family it's very sweet; if more the cucumber, it's spicy. It generally has a very refreshing taste so it's perfect for summer
caroselli-1024x682.jpg

DSC02459.jpg

'Course, I'm sure Chicken laughs at us whenever the topic of pizza comes up!

More like I'm horrified.

You could just make your own. I'm pretty sure I posted the recipe somewhere on skullheart.
I half-took your advice and made some chicken sisig because a separate post in that thread made me hungrier.
MS7cYgj.gif

XFJSlF6.jpg

It was also my first experience cooking with ghee (browned, clarified butter) and man what a super-delicious and useful oil. Definitely making more of it.

I forgot about this thread

1969173_10204965753331752_6470087090122014167_n.jpg

cooked lamb breaded with a parsley/garlic crust with Brussels sprouts cooked with walnuts and butter mixed in with a nice bit of beans done with mirepox topped off with some lovely au jus sauce

the rest of the au juice sauce will used with a mixture of rice tomorrow

I didn't make it but my buddy did.
It looks like asphalt but it tastes like oreo rice.
w-...

what is that?

Aaahhh I didn't know this thread was a thing!

Now I gotta take pictures of food when I make it. Was a culinary college student, will be again soon. But my friends and I are all over that cooking good meals on a budget jam.
We're also on that "making things that no one else thinks of because they can kill you" jam. Such as things loaded with sugar or grease. (I swear we're not high... probably drunk though.)

So I'll post what I can.

Reactions: agent13 and drewski
@Fizzxwizz oreo rice pudding, i haven't that in forever!!

Ok time for a new plate

10646887_10205028213573219_2883226762036306664_n.jpg

Butter sauteed aspargus with sweet potato surrounded by a nice chipotle salsa and on top for that a pork tenderloin marinated with lime juice + zest/parsley/ thyme and garlic. Oh and braised cabbage which funny enough turned around and tasted like candy.

how about baking does that count

i've tried to make french macarons like 10 times and they've only turned out right once because the world hates me

how about baking does that count

i've tried to make french macarons like 10 times and they've only turned out right once because the world hates me

baking is extremely hard, it's a science and unlike cooking you can't make one error

I cook often, I should take a few photos and upload them.