• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Mortal Kombat Thread

I will say having a block button on a standard stick is a pain in the ass IMO. give me a regular block any day.

I extremely disliked the block button in MK9 simply because it felt really unnatural to me and caused me to never block ever

it doesnt really bother me but i would have preferred a traditional block

Sorry, but this is Mortal Kombat. Block button is tradition, its regular here, and its good they're not changing it. Sorry if that sounds mean, but go and play another fighting game if you dont like the block button.

I kinda hate how we still have interactables.

worst part of Injustice IMO.

All of them are blockable in the new MK.

Reactions: Israel and Killjoy
I'm not saying I don't want a block button in general, I just feel they're used better in fighting games where your evasion options are just as good as your defensive options. like the 3D mortal Kombat games and other 3D fighters. I just don't like it in 2D fighters

I'm not saying I don't want a block button in general, I just feel they're used better in fighting games where your evasion options are just as good as your defensive options. like the 3D mortal Kombat games and other 3D fighters. I just don't like it in 2D fighters

Thats perfectly understandable since many, if not all besides MK, 2D fighting games use this kind of blocking. But Mortal Kombat has always used the block button and it always worked out, so I dont see the point of it being such a drama that the mechanic is again present in MKX.

That would be like if I would demand of Street Fighter having a block button in SF5 instead of holding back to block like it always was before. I would be hated to death for even suggesting such a thing.

Reactions: Killjoy
Also:
Something MK has always done good is make character based on classic movies

Raiden is just a Big Trouble reference after all

Something MK has always done good is make character based on classic movies

Raiden is just a Big Trouble reference after all
The entire first game is basically Enter the Dragon.

tumblr_n6z402CiKL1rwxvn2o1_1280.png

M9_FRED_KR.jpg

i know it isnt freddy krueger

I would totally be down for a Private Investigator type character in Mortal Kombat X.
They got a policeman, why not go the hardboiled route?
There's a chance they could become LITERALLY hardboiled.

A fighting game character who wears a fedora and a coat?

234043-larcen_tyler512.gif

Besides Q, I also got reminded of Larcen Tyler from Eternal Champions, one of the MK ripoffs of the 90s.

Reactions: LordCeno
dude, what if she desiccates her opponents. fills them with venom then just sucks them completely dry like a capri-sun?

dude, what if she desiccates her opponents. fills them with venom then just sucks them completely dry like a capri-sun?
That or vomits Brundlefly juice on them and melts them. Though that's usually Reptile territory.

That would be quite nasty. Also, here's some aftershow gameplay showing the fatalities of D'Vorah (Bug Lady) and Sub Zero that were shown in the E3 trailer.

I think that those silhouettes might just be red herrings at this point. The characters that are currently revealed just stare straight at the screen with straightened shoulders. Some of the silhouettes look like they could be like developer pictures.

PlayStation E3 2014 | Mortal Kombat X | Live Coverage (PS4)

Mortal Kombat
creator Ed Boon took to PlayStation’s official E3 stream yesterday to debut new gameplay footage of Mortal Kombat X running on PlayStation 4.

You’ll get a glimpse at the new character select screen, which features 24 slots, as well as four new characters: D’Vorah (the insect girl), Cassie Cage (Sonya Blade and Johnny Cage’s daughter), Ferra/Torr (a little girl and giant brute), and Kotal Kahn (an Aztec god of war). You’ll also get a look at the game’s new Variations, which includes three different styles of play for each character.​

Still think all this is super neat.
Fucking MK9- 25 years in the FUTURE?!
That takes fucking balls to not only have a huge time gap, but possibly aged characters, new generation characters, and just new ones in general.
The last game to do that was Street Fighter 3.

I kinda hate how we still have interactables.
worst part of Injustice IMO.
While I’m not entirely opposed to stage hazards and interactables in 2D fighters, those damn pigs, drones, and turbines had me considering trying to return the game a hell of a lot more than the technical issues I was having. It’s nice to hear that at least not as many of the interactables will be unblockable in MKX, but I’m still pretty apprehensive about the inclusion of interactables in any game from NetherRealm at this point.

I’m also getting the feeling that this “surprise returning character” that people supposedly wont see coming is Shinnok just like the last game was hinting at.

Still, Almost everything else sounds interesting and I’ve been fairly impressed with MK9 ever since I picked it up. Call me cautiously optimistic.

To their surprise... heheheheh, yea sure, pal... I can't wait to see these new guys, though.

There was a time when I considered not having a post-KO finisher in a fighting game a wasted opportunity. Now, when a fatality starts my main thought is that it just wastes everybody's time before the next match can start. I'd want to say they are fun to maybe watch at least once, but then, when it came to the fatality part, I felt the trailer just stopped being interesting.

It happened. I've gotten old and/or desensitized.

Reactions: SanoBaron
I can't wait to throw old ladies at people

Reactions: agent13
Still think all this is super neat.
Fucking MK9- 25 years in the FUTURE?!
That takes fucking balls to not only have a huge time gap, but possibly aged characters, new generation characters, and just new ones in general.
The last game to do that was Street Fighter 3.
I'd say GGXrd is trying to do that, but still ended up using the whole "Gears grow fast" as an excuse for it to apply to only certain characters. Mainly Ky going home and being a family man with Diz & Sin.

CASSIE CAGE HOLLYWOOD SUNGLASSES AAAAAAAA

Just an FYI, they confirmed MK X's interactables are blockable.
So people can't abuse them.

I'm also just really curious as to the fates of the old characters.
Like, yeah, they're all zombies, but they gotta be in there somehow.

Also, call me crazy, but I think the final boss will be Liu Kang.
he became a bad guy in two of the endings of MK 9, and he also turned evil in MK Legacy.

I'm happy that they continue with the story of MK9 instead of altering the events so that everyone survives. Also they seem to take advantage of the situation with introducing many new characters, thats good. The new characters look fine, especially Kotal Kahn. Im very curious about him. I mean... Kotal Kahn. Like in Shao Kahn.

I know its only a title, they will probably explain how war gods have the title "Kahn" and Shao Kahn gave it to himself after he took over Outworld. But still, since I'm a huge fan of the big bad boss, I hope there will be a little nod to that. I hoped Shao Kahn himself would be playable once more, but that seems unlikely.

Story wise, I think this game will "skip" MK4 in the timeline by stating that Shinnok already conquered the realms and now rules most of them, including earth, and somehow a new Mortal Kombat will take place to kick Shinnok of the throne. During that, the new threat arrives. And thats either Liu Kang or a mad Raiden.

Again, just gotta hand it to Netherrealm Studios to having balls and not giving a shit about Status Quo.
Pretty sure the events of Deadly Alliance or Deception won't happen either.
Because, well, Shang Tsung's dead.

I would definitely go for Sweet Tooth as a PS-exclusive guest, with Nick from Dead Rising 3 or Conker (for the WTF factor) for the X1 exclusive.

I hope Kotal Kahn(Aztec dude) is Shao Kahn's ancient ancestor or something crazy like that.

I hope Kotal Kahn(Aztec dude) is Shao Kahn's ancient ancestor or something crazy like that.

I thought about that too, but it dosnt work for me. Shao Kahn belongs to a race native to Outworld, while Kotal Kahn is a god of Earthrealm (presumably). They could be related, but personally I think its always stupid to intruduce a sibling, parent or ancestor of a big evil overlord.

My theory, again, is that "Kahn" is just a title for a war god or something similar and Shao Kahn just claimed one for himself after kicking Onaga of the throne. While were talking Onaga, the Dragon King needs to come back. Imagine what sick stuff he could do and how epic he would look now.

But one thing is for sure, Kotal Kahn is the most interesting character yet, he locks fucking sick:

11_mkxscreenshot03.jpg

RIPPC
Because I won't be able to play this marvelous looking game any time soon.