• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Mortal Kombat Thread

And this didn't happen WHY?
I think they wanted Kratos instead.
The interview with Boon is somewhere on the internet.

Hmmm sweet tooth could have been fun

Ash from Evil Dead was considered too instead of Freddy; God i wish he made it.

As for legit crossovers; I think MK could only go up against DC again or KI.
Maybe the DOA cast too.
MKvsDoA would be rad. DoA characters on a 2D playing field? Yes please.

Music sucks ass, other than that:

It-has-begun-600x327.jpg

Mortal Kombat is back!

It-has-begun-600x327.jpg

Mortal Kombat is back!
Subby in the never ending struggle :/
But yeah, 2015 can't come fast enough.

they need to switch heads, sub zero's mask looks way too sinister and could fit scorpion more

why is SZ human again, didnt he turn into a cyborg last game?

why is SZ human again, didnt he turn into a cyborg last game?

Thats what I'm thinking. Either this is yet another dimension, or Sub-Zero has a third brother. And he not only turned into a cyborg, he died in the last game also, like so many other. Personally I hoped they would continue with this and would use the room for the characters of MK4 and a lot of new ones.

Maybe it's that lady Sub Zero? Frost or something?

Besides, it's Mortal Kombat. You can't not have Sub Zero and Scorpion. That'd be like a Street Fighter without Ryu.

It-has-begun-600x327.jpg

Mortal Kombat is back!
That music was whack. Kinda killed the video, sort of.

There are mulitple SubZeros guys.

I hate game trailers that don't show ACTUAL GAMEPLAY. However I thought the song actually fit the trailer.

I think that Mortal Kombat 10 looks amazing. I'm not to worried about the character re-designs because I'm sure they will release a classic costume pack or something. If they're trying to make the gameplay look like 0:29 in the video then they can take as long as they want.

There are mulitple SubZeros guys.

Right, two of them. But in MK9, both were killed. Bi-Han, the older one, was killed by Scorpion in the first tournament to happen in the game and later became Noob Saibot. Kuai Liang, the younger brother of Bi-Han became the second Sub-Zero, but was automated to become Cyber Sub-Zero and later killed by Sindel.

So if they continue from MK9, story-wise, they have to come up with an explanation for this. My guess: Either the good old resurrection or a third brother.

Is Mortal Kombat x Rap canon now?

Reactions: Killabyte
Thinking about it now, besides having better graphics I think Mortal Kombat may have a problem topping Mortal Kombat 9. What else can they do without radically changing gameplay? It's similar to the problem I think Capcom will have in trying to top Street Fighter 4, which is probably while they're still releasing versions for it. LOL

Meh. I think I'll be passing on this one. I still hope this game won't have those unblockable interactive environments like in Injustice (Trailer had tree branches being used).

I see in their press release it says, “Mortal Kombat has always been about over-the-top, visceral fighting and with Mortal Kombat X we wanted to utilise the power of new-gen consoles to give players our most intense game yet,” said Ed Boon, Creative Director, NetherRealm Studios. “The team has worked hard to make sure Mortal Kombat X delivers everything fans expect along with new characters, new game modes and an all new graphics engine.”

Mortal Kombat X combines cinematic presentation with all new gameplay to deliver the most brutal Kombat experience ever, offering a new fully-connected experience that launches players into a persistent online contest where every fight matters in a global battle for supremacy. For the first time, Mortal Kombat X gives players the ability to choose from multiple variations of each character impacting both strategy and fighting style. Players step into an original story showcasing some of the game’s most prolific characters including Scorpion and Sub-Zero, while introducing new challengers that represent the forces of good and evil and tie the tale together.

I'm definitely curious to see how the new characters look and play like.

I hate game trailers that don't show ACTUAL GAMEPLAY. However I thought the song actually fit the trailer.
The stuff with the side view perspective isn't that far removed from the new Killer Instinct, so I wouldn't be surprised if was actual gameplay.

I'll disagree with Vladislav_Paizis and say I'm fine with some Injustice style stage interactions.

Since Subby and Scorpion are as iconic to the franchise as Ryu and Ken are to Street Fighter, I'm not surprised they're the focus of this tease. However, it does make me wonder just a little if MK9 is being treated as a side story/what if, and if X is back in the original timeline. I'm fine with either, but I was curious if they could revamp Shinnok into something less lame.

The stuff with the side view perspective isn't that far removed from the new Killer Instinct, so I wouldn't be surprised if was actual gameplay.

I mean actual gameplay may be similar, but that was definitely a CG trailer.

I'm interested to see what they do with MKX, but they really need to fix the animations from MK9 (and I still saw some shades of it near the start of the trailer) or it's already losing points in my book.

Interactions are fine with me, tbh, but it's always nice to have options so an option to turn them off would be nice as well.

This game is going to be shittier than I thought.

Amusing when people talk shit like that when there isnt just no gameplay, not a single screenshot around, but also a few hours after the announcement.

Keep on hating dude, if thats what makes you happy.

What if when you break someone's arms with an X ray you impart the combo ability of the opponent for some time? (like breaking an arm make that punch slower)

You can't choose which limbs to break, so I don't think that system would really work. Also, the fact that limbs can be broken several times in a fight neatly explains why Fatalities are necessary.

Amusing when people talk shit like that when there isnt just no gameplay, not a single screenshot around, but also a few hours after the announcement.

Keep on hating dude, if thats what makes you happy.
We have more than that. We have MK9 and Injustice as evidence for shitty gameplay.

I'm a fan of Mortal Kombat but I won't let that hinder my evaluation of games objectively. You can be biased all you want, but a shitty game is a shitty game. Just look at Netherrealm's past works.

Now it just seems like you're hating. Any reason why you think Netherrealm's games suck?

Now it just seems like you're hating. Any reason why you think Netherrealm's games suck?
Have you not played MK9/Injustice?

To answer your question precisely I would need to go into essay territory. If you don't already know at least objectively why they suck, then there's no reason to think you care about quality in any game whatsoever, therefore rendering my explanations useless no matter what I say.

I've played MK9. Doesn't seem to be that bad.

I think you're trolling.

Any particular reason why the announcement made you think MKX will be worse than MK9/Injustice, @Verstande?