• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Palettes of Skullgirls

@BallotBoxer Make that 22 for Peacock. She got a new palette today.
3OUjOAF.png

I think it looks cool. I have a thing for awful colors though.

Big Band's 3 was already awful but this one? Jesus. Try to play two hours in a row with that. Really needs to be toned down a bit

Oh? I thought Mike's thing "Its, uh. It's. Obvious" meant it was a reference to something obvious, but maybe it meant that it was obviously an original color.

I like that new palette! Its pretty groovy! (And pretty)

Reactions: Rachel Phoenix
I think eventually all characters will have 22 colors. Either through the unknown amount of IndieGoGo backer choices left to go and the staff picks (see Filia and Squigly #22) everyone will be even. Should be even, in my mind.
It seems that way, but I got a small hope (which exists based on no actual evidence) that maybe they'll bump it up to 24 total for everyone.

24 is just a more mathematically interesting number to me.

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss
It seems that way, but I got a small hope (which exists based on no actual evidence) that maybe they'll bump it up to 24 total for everyone.

24 is just a more mathematically interesting number to me.
Switch it around and you get 42.

Reactions: chickenwithtie
The new Peacock palette looks like something that can give a man eye cancer.

I'm considering maining it.
I knew you would say that. Why you dropped Double Rainbow Double, why.

I think Painwheel has some rad palettes, some of which are really good references. Although I would like some more for her, I can't think of anything she could possibly reference.

I scrolled all the way to the bottom of this first page just to tell the OP that their thread rocks.
Excellent stuff, mayne or womayne.

I always associate purple with him. I guess it would depend on your favorite version.

Her ribbon could've passed off as Daisy's brooch instead of being solid orange.
George and Lenny could've been Bob-ombs.
Kuribo's shoe could've been colored like a Kuribo's shoe
and so forth...
So, about the changes to Peacock's palette. She has the Kuribo Shoe and Bullet Bills, Tommy seems to be a Thwomp, her teeth are white like the Chain Chomp's, her grab appears colored similar to the Snag Bag, George Car seems to mimic Daisy's vehicle in Mario Kart, her beam and Argus Eyes are green (Daisy stuff usually has green somewhere). Couldn't find any other references. The Bob-ombs are pink-ish, which is weird. I know there are pink bob-ombs, but when I think Bob-omb I usually think the other ones, like black-ish/purple-ish/blue-ish.
250px-BobombNSMBU.png

So, about the changes to Peacock's palette. She has the Kuribo Shoe and Bullet Bills, Tommy seems to be a Thwomp, her teeth are white like the Chain Chomp's, her grab appears colored similar to the Snag Bag, George Car seems to mimic Daisy's vehicle in Mario Kart, her beam and Argus Eyes are green (Daisy stuff usually has green somewhere). Couldn't find any other references. The Bob-ombs are pink-ish, which is weird. I know there are pink bob-ombs, but when I think Bob-omb I usually think the other ones, like black-ish/purple-ish/blue-ish.
250px-BobombNSMBU.png

Bob-omb buddies seems more appropriate given how Daisy is considered to be good-aligned

However, right now I will let the Mario fanatic inside me take over for this post.

Item drop whistle could easily pass as the Warp Whistle from SMB3 instead of a black one like it is now.
Warp_whistle.PNG

George's plane is green for some reason, when Sky Pop that Mario flew to save Daisy from Tatanga was yellow.
120px-Sky_Pop_SML.png

Andy Anvil could easily pass as a Broozer
cb3175fda8.jpg

Avery's color doesn't really seem to be anything other than a yellow bird with a yellow outfit, although he could pass as an Albatoss from SMB2 pretty easily.
210px-AlbatossBob-omb.jpg

The smoke that appears when Avery disappears or the from the drag of her cigar have faces on them. Other than in chapter 6 of Paper Mario, non-enemy clouds with faces on them have always been white.

Also I know I had a gripe about her ribbon not attempting to reflect Daisy's brooch but the argus eyes are deliberately colored to reflect it so I'm not too perturbed.

Okay now I'm done nitpicking about shit that bothers me and only me.

EDIT: Nope not done nitpicking.

Peacock's arm segments are orange for some reason, Daisy's never had sleeves when wearing a dress so her skin is bare there.

The hammer in her jLP is black for some reason. If it's to mirror the Hammer from Donkey Kong that appears in the Smash games, the handle is erroneously green instead of wooden.

If Tommy's supposed to be a thwomp, his color is too dark.

Okay now I'm shutting up.

Last edited:
However, right now I will let the Mario fanatic inside me take over for this post.
Yo. Peacock is a lot less separate than you think, colors for a bunch of things overlap. Like all her metal in everything is the same color, including her whistle, and Avery's clothes are the same color as Peacock's. None of that stuff CAN be separate. At this point everything is a reference (Andy is a Bullet Bill, Tommy is a Thwomp, etc) without making it so that one reference makes the rest of the things that use that color look weird.

I agree with the white clouds, but it's up to Brian if making all her dust white is weird. So y'know, quit while you're ahead. :^)

Oh, and there are also gameplay considerations, which trump everything else. Her bombs are pink because actual flat black Bob-ombs are impossible to see on some stages.

Yo. Peacock is a lot less separate than you think, colors for a bunch of things overlap. Like all her metal in everything is the same color, including her whistle, and Avery's clothes are the same color as Peacock's. None of that stuff CAN be separate. At this point everything is a reference (Andy is a Bullet Bill, Tommy is a Thwomp, etc) without making it so that one reference makes the rest of the things that use that color look weird.

I agree with the white clouds, but it's up to Brian if making all her dust white is weird. So y'know, quit while you're ahead. :^)

Oh, and her bombs are pink because actual flat black Bob-ombs are impossible to see on some stages. There are also gameplay considerations, which trump everything else.

Thanks for the response.

Without explicit references to know which colors are reused and overlap where, I just kinda have to go off my gut. And it seems that this time my gut was incorrect. I was, at the very least, attempting to cover bases where something could be potentially forgotten instead of assuming everything could be done ever. Such as bringing up the white clouds.

Were blue-tinged bob-ombs considered but swept aside due to George's default color being too similar? Bob-omb buddies work fine as is, but it'd be nice to know for the sake of knowing useless trivia.

Were blue-tinged bob-ombs considered but swept aside due to George's default color being too similar? Bob-omb buddies work fine as is, but it'd be nice to know for the sake of knowing useless trivia.
Yep. When possible we try to avoid important things having the possibility of being the same color for multiple palettes.

[edit] For the amount of time a palette should take, reference palettes combined with this kind of stuff take too much. :^)

Yep. When possible we try to avoid important things having the possibility of being the same color for multiple palettes.

[edit] For the amount of time a palette should take, reference palettes combined with this kind of stuff take too much. :^)

Also, a bit of a tangential question, would it be painless to denote a specific color of the pallete to not inherit color effects much like the character outlines do? "Dark" palletes where the face is obscured to become what is basically a black void come to mind when asking this. Only ones I can recall off the top of my head that do this are Peacock's second pallete and Big Band's Dick Tracy pallete. Not necessarily a high priority by any extent, but it seems a tad off to have a pallete that masks their facial features but if you counterhit them, hit them with a fire-based attack, poison them, or have them PBGC you can see the facial details that were previously hidden.

If it's a headache to undertake then don't bother. I can live with a slight "immersion" break in an already-unrealistic videogame, I'm not that petty.

Yo. Peacock is a lot less separate than you think, colors for a bunch of things overlap.
Does this save memory? Are the colors picked from somewhere in RAM? (if colors even work like that)
Or is just to save time?

Also, a bit of a tangential question, would it be painless to denote a specific color of the pallete to not inherit color effects much like the character outlines do?
Extremely painful, actually. That's not at all easy.
But if that breaks immersion for you I can only imagine the weeks of therapy that Peacock's SoiD shadow not inverting with everything else's shadows must entail. :^P

Does this save memory? Are the colors picked from somewhere in RAM? (if colors even work like that)
Or is just to save time?
It's mostly to save time, because metal-is-metal-is-metal eliminates lots of cleanup errors where THIS metal isn't THAT metal but they're both the same color in-game so it's hard to catch wrong colors until we have a palette where they aren't the same. Many more of those errors happened on characters, like Eliza or Fortune, who have a bunch of different areas that are usually the same color but are different source colors so they can be different colors in-game. Memory is the same whether the character has 10 colors or 250.

I like the original palette a lot! Not really a fan of the Wolverine one. Must be the yellow. Or the fact that Wolverine dresses up like a damn moron

I do actually kinda like the original palette too. Wish I could have seen it front and center for a little bit. And to be fair, not many super heroes DON'T dress like morons. Though... I guess Wolverine does have some special issues.
3978571-wolvhair5.jpg

That original palette is pretty cool, I can't wait to see a shirtless one.
Oh hey, I never posted here before.

We are getting a new palette. Don know what or who