• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

I used a hyperbole. It's still a problem, though, when it's part of the review to begin with.

Look at the game for what it is. Don't bring in personal notions about the company, the ideals and opinions brought about by the game, the political message, the companies budget, etc etc into the equation. Review the game as a game.

Whatever though. Reviewers are bullcrap anyways. Just try it for yourself.

Goodbye18000 said they dropped 8 points from an otherwise 10/10 game. I said they were mostly 9s
Oops. Looks like I missed the - of the -8 points, sorry about that.

I used a hyperbole. It's still a problem, though, when it's part of the review to begin with.

Look at the game for what it is. Don't bring in personal notions about the company, the ideals and opinions brought about by the game, the political message, the companies budget, etc etc into the equation. Review the game as a game.

I completely agree. Last week I spent a large chunk of time looking at reviews for MK8 and noticing this as well. 4 out of 5 reviews brought up the Wii U's status and of the remaining 1 out of 5, most of them gave the game a 9.5 or higher. Interesting.

Oops. Looks like I missed the - of the -8 points, sorry about that.
All is forgiven.

Back on the topic of Smash 4, I was kind of hoping for custom revival platforms for each character.

Like, Mario gets his from Mario Bros, Fox gets an Arwing, Sonic gets Tails to carry him, Mega Man on Rush Jet, stuff like that. I mean, yeah, it's understandable why they wouldn't cause holy assets Ninja Baseball Bat Man but it would be kind of a cool touch.

And that idea isn't totally ripped from earlier builds of Super Smash Flash 2, nope

Back on the topic of Smash 4, I was kind of hoping for custom revival platforms for each character.

Like, Mario gets his from Mario Bros, Fox gets an Arwing, Sonic gets Tails to carry him, Mega Man on Rush Jet, stuff like that. I mean, yeah, it's understandable why they wouldn't cause holy assets Ninja Baseball Bat Man but it would be kind of a cool touch.

And that idea isn't totally ripped from earlier builds of Super Smash Flash 2, nope
Who knows if they implement it? After all, we got Cuccos as an item :PUN:

I mean,
the point of reviews to begin with is, Jeez I don't have enough money to be frivolously spending it on games I'm not even going to enjoy, I'm going to get someone's educated opinion on whether this game is worth 60 fucking bucks.

Whether the reviews themselves are educated or whether or not the game is actually 60 bucks or more reasonably priced (especially for download only games) is all debateable, but the idea of just try the game for yourself and form an opinion is kind of a moot point.

Between instore demos, public demos, previous knowledge of franchises and friends, there's just a lot more ways to determine if a game is worth your money than just some website saying "2/10, does not save Nintendo".

I dunno. I've enjoyed more 4/10 and 6/10 games than I should have according to a lot of popular gaming websites. In a world of cynicism regarding games, I just really don't want to trust them.

That's not to say you can't use reviews for information. For instance, them saying something like, it has a shortage of tracks and characters compared to previous franchises is good knowledge to inform your choice. A number, however, means nothing. Take away facts, not opinions.

You know, now that I think about it, why has nobody made jokes about Samus's Chozo DNA?

Most jokes about armorless Samus are on her body or her bad representation in other M or her heels.

Are we...are we just going to ignore the fact that Samus has super future space chicken DNA in her?

I've literally never seen one joke about this, it's a little worrying.
There have always been jokes about that.
The other m jokes are new territory.

Between instore demos, public demos, previous knowledge of franchises and friends, there's just a lot more ways to determine if a game is worth your money than just some website saying "2/10, does not save Nintendo".

I dunno. I've enjoyed more 4/10 and 6/10 games than I should have according to a lot of popular gaming websites. In a world of cynicism regarding games, I just really don't want to trust them.

That's not to say you can't use reviews for information. For instance, them saying something like, it has a shortage of tracks and characters compared to previous franchises is good knowledge to inform your choice. A number, however, means nothing. Take away facts, not opinions.
On the IGN system:
For the most part, games that are graded 5/10 and below are the ones that actually deserve it. Occasionally the reviewer was just a fucking moron, though, like with god hand.
6/10 and 7/10 ranges are either average games or games where the reviewer had no idea what they were talking about.
8/10 games are good games that didn't bribe the site for higher scores.
9/10 games are games that bribed the site for higher scores or super hyped games.
10/10 games are games that were super hyped AND bribed the site for higher scores.
So really, mainstream reviews are usually useful for determining whether a game is absolute trash or maybe decent. That's about it.

There have always been jokes about that.
The other m jokes are new territory.
Oh, really? I guess I just can't find them. I mean I looked up "Bird Samus" and "Bird Samus humor" into google search and, while akwardzombie's was there, it was all practically how Samus is normally portrayed on the internet.

Although I did find this, so the search was worth it:
samus-basketball.jpg

I find it weird how people blame Team Ninja on the story problems in other m, when it was the creator of Metroid in general who made the story.

Team Ninja just did the gameplay and I feel it is true to the Metroid franchise in general.

sorry for bringing up something that would probably be better suited for another thread, its just that theres no general Nintendo thread or a general metroid thread.

People misblame game stuffs all the time.

I mean, we all scream SAKURAIIIIIIIIII whenever we trip but we know deep in our hearts he didn't do it himself.

I find it weird how people blame Team Ninja on the story problems in other m, when it was the creator of Metroid in general who made the story.

Team Ninja just did the gameplay and I feel it is true to the Metroid franchise in general.

sorry for bringing up something that would probably be better suited for another thread, its just that theres no general Nintendo thread or a general metroid thread.

Define gameplay.
Like, the auto-lock was fine, it switched perspectives well enough, the gamefeel was pretty good, but it was way way WAY too streamlined with not enough exploration.
And the GOW-style boss finishes were kinda stupid.

Then again, it's been forever since I played the game, so maybe I'm wrong.

That would be the best joke character, if only for the self-entitled meltdowns his addition to the roster would cause. Anyone remember how angry people got over ROB? It was comedy gold.

Guys don't forget, last year, they apparently said Sakurai will consider Reggie if his petition got enough signatures.
Maybe it didn't hit the mark but made the message clear so he did it?

I honestly probably wouldn't use Reggie that often.
Like I'm not diehard against his inclusion, but he's not someone I'd actually realistically want to be in the game.
To be honest I mostly posted that as a joke.

But allow me to very quickly ruin your hopes and dreams now.
vcimx0r.png

Have you seen how low poly Waluigi's fist is? In the Wii U version?

It's not the fact that it's low poly, it's the fact that it's the same image.
Like, not even the same model, the same image. With like, some color altering to give it a skin tone.

It's not the fact that it's low poly, it's the fact that it's the same image.
Like, not even the same model, the same image. With like, some color altering to give it a skin tone.
Hey man, nintendo is falling on some hard times, they can't afford to model two different sets of hands.

I'd like to see the bottom screen first before I can call its veracity.
I might just be grasping for straws here, but besides the reflection the bottom half mostly seems to be comprised of blue, with a green box on the right side. There seems to be a white background for the upper half, with 2-3 rectangles. One of these rectangles seems to have a brighter tone to it, or it might be the quality of the picture. So one of them may be selected. There is a yellow box directly above the green box.

That's what I see from sight, at least.

zlCfzR-VEVoehnJyWf

"Pic of the day. The rocket belt from Pilotwings lets you fly upward by jumping. This is a really useful item for characters that have weaker recoveries. By the way, is that cape fireproof?"

Kinda seems like ROB's Up special as an item.

...why is it that wherever I go the longest threads are all about casual~hardcore smash discussion?

Reggie 2 hype

but, to whoever suggested custom revival plates, including Tails bringing in Sonic, I would be so mad if Tails had a character model and wasn't playable. Has the possibility of having Tails been shot down yet?

It's not on BestBuy.ca.

I'm a little worried. They might just say it'll be for Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.

Or worse, include Calgary. Ugh.

The Invitational will be streamed, but as for this...

dude. It's Smash. It'll be recorded by many, MANY people. We'll have matches fo days, enough to give us basically every single move and data on every character in the demo.

Define gameplay.
Like, the auto-lock was fine, it switched perspectives well enough, the gamefeel was pretty good, but it was way way WAY too streamlined with not enough exploration.
And the GOW-style boss finishes were kinda stupid.

Then again, it's been forever since I played the game, so maybe I'm wrong.
well, in terms of controls and feel, it combines the original metroid controls with the FPS feel of the metroid prime games. so, I guess not every metroid game, but just elements of some past ones.

Last edited:
using just the wiimote as the controller was a dumb design choice
Other M had a lot of dumb design choices
Other M was dumb in a lot of ways

I just want to point something out, in previous games Yoshi's second jump were never effected by jump boosting items (bunny hood) or jump enduring items (metal box), so I have to wounder if the the rocket belt will have any effect on him at all or if it will be the only item to effect his jump.

Back