• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

DAT END
1310650820313.jpg

RWz54vc.jpg

They're literally listening to the fanbase as much as they can

Don't stop, Nintendo. You got this.

now just add ridley

If anyone, ANYONE says Nintendo isn't listening to Smash Fans for Smash 4, they are wrong. Just simply wrong.

The tournament, the players, the announcers, the host, the controllers... everything. Perfect.

Apparently "items on" and Geoff K as host are "ruining" the tournament for Smashboards.

Sigh.

Why can't we just be happy

Geoff K is bad but I doubt he'll be doing much besides opening statements. The items on thing is probably just a way to show off the full game to the public who don't normally care about tournaments. The fact that grand finals are pretty much a standard Smash ruleset is alright with me.

Would've preferred having multiple rounds per match but you can't get it all. This is good.

I'm so tempted to make Realistic Mario my new Skullheart icon.

Also, not sure if I'm getting the Gamecube Adapter. I'll consider it.
I already got the Wii U Pro Controller, so.

Anyone want to bet which characters won't get played at the Smash Invitational? I'm dead sure absolutely no one is going to pick Zelda.

Character Draft

On the morning of the tournament, each player will draw a number from a hat, ranging from 1 through 16. Players will then pick characters one by one based on their numerical order starting with 1. After a character is chosen, they are no longer selectable by any other player. Players must keep the same character throughout the entire event.
Super Smash Bros. Invitational Highlights

Single-Elimination Tournament
4 players per match, 4 stock, 5 minute time limit
Top 2 players determined by score advance from each match to the next round
2nd place scores have the following tiebreakers:
Most Kills
If the number of Kills are tied, 2nd place will be determined by fan vote
Quarterfinals: Items on Medium
Semifinals and Finals: Items on Low
Grand Finals: Items off (1 vs 1)
Stages will be unveiled at the tournament.
*Grand Finals is a 4-stock, 8-minute, 1-on-1 match on Battlefield as an homage to the competitive Smash Bros. community.
Fan Favorite Voting during the Tournament

We are also going to be running a concurrent Fan Favorite bracket during the event. This Fan Favorite bracket is completely separate from the Invitational Tournament. To gain entry into the Fan Favorite bracket, players from the Invitational need to be voted in by the audience as a Fan Favorite. At the end of each Quarterfinal and Semifinal match of the Invitational, members of the audience will be encouraged to hold up character cards provided by Nintendo to vote on the player they feel performed with the most heart, courage, creativity, and style. The player that gets the most votes from the crowd wins a spot in the Fan Favorite Bracket.
In the Fan Favorite bracket matches, the highest scoring winner will advance to the next round. A second player will advance based on a fan vote. The objective for the players in this bracket is not only to win, but to do their best to win the hearts and votes of the fans.
Fan Favorite Bracket Highlights

Single-Elimination Bracket
Up to 4 players per match, 5 minute time limit only
Two players move on to the next round:
1 by Highest Score (Kills minus Falls)
1 decided by Fan Vote (the decibel level of the fans will decide a tied vote)
All Rounds: Items on Medium
Grand Finals: Winner is determined by score only
Stages will be unveiled at the tournament.

Anyone want to bet which characters won't get played at the Smash Invitational? I'm dead sure absolutely no one is going to pick Zelda.

Considering it's going to be a lottery, it might be inevitable.

Wow, pretty fucked up that the players can't just pick a character themselves, though I guess it's a good way to keep from everyone just picking their old mainstays without any new characters picked.

I like those rules, since it prevents the tournament from having more than one Fox and Marth. The less of a chance I have of watching Fox or Marth in finals, the better.

Apparently "items on" and Geoff K as host are "ruining" the tournament for Smashboards.

Sigh.

Why can't we just be happy

I'm not happy about Geoff K either but let's face it; he's the face of the video game press to the mainstream. I mean, this could turn out to be really good. Maybe people who traditionally don't pay attention to Nintendo games at all will tune in just because they saw a (practically) celebrity name they recognized on there.

Holy shit... they actually did it.
My exact response

[looks up gc controller prices]
Aaaaaaand GC controller prices just sky rocketed. Fortunately since nintendo is making an adapter, I'm expecting them to do a limited run GC controller sale.....for not 60-70 bucks

Fortunately of the two I have, one is in great condition and the other is just missing the thumb nub

I want Bowser to win
the Koopa King's reign must be eternal

Since Peach isn't in the tournament and absolutely NOBODY is going to pick Zelda, I'm okay with this outcome. I'd rather see Rosalina or Little Mac take it but Bowser is fine.

Well, they did JUST announce him, that seemed kinda likely that Ike wouldn't be in the demo.

FTR, the not-in-demo list is Diddy, Ike, Yoshi, Sheik, Lucario, Toon Link, Peach, Luigi, King Dedede and Charizard.

I like those rules, since it prevents the tournament from having more than one Fox and Marth. The less of a chance I have of watching Fox or Marth in finals, the better.
This was probably part of the reason for that clause. The other being public doesn't exactly associate with the competitors, they associate with the Nintendo characters. Nintendo probably thought of this and decided to make it fair by having each player associate with a specific character, that way the public will recognize a competitor by their character.

My exact response

[looks up gc controller prices]
Aaaaaaand GC controller prices just sky rocketed. Fortunately since nintendo is making an adapter, I'm expecting them to do a limited run GC controller sale.....for not 60-70 bucks

Fortunately of the two I have, one is in great condition and the other is just missing the thumb nub

I'm expecting this too. For the Wii Nintendo actually produced a line of nice-looking White GC controllers. Japan-only, but imports were relatively inexpensive. I regret having mine stolen from me; the craftsmanship of a first-party controller cannot be matched.

Also....this would work perfectly for GC virtual console games if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Holy crap the "wired" pdp controllers.....I wonder if they'll be usable on the adapter.

Also....this would work perfectly for GC virtual console games if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Holy crap the "wired" pdp controllers.....I wonder if they'll be usable on the adapter.
Considering it plugs into a wiimote, I doubt it.

If you can use the GC controller with that adaptor as, say, a classic/pro controller for other games, then I don't think I'll be purchasing the PDP ones. If not, I might purchase one, just so I can play Wii VC games on my WiiU with a not-kidney-shaped controller.

I mean, if the Dualshock can go through 3 generations with minimal change, so can the GC controller.

Actually, I remember some kids at my school when we were kids said they HATED the GC controller because it felt like a kids toy, like LEGO, and rubbery and "safe".

That might be why I love it, actually. Durable. Dependable.

Also the Clicky L and R

It's funny, every Smash game has been playable with the Gamecube controller in some form or another, even Smash 64 on the Virtual Console.

Back