• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Because they want Maneondorf.

Oh, and bias accusations. Because they really expected Sakurai to not show bias towards his own games.

See though, Daybreak was an item basically made for Smash to begin with. I was surprised that it WASN'T revealed long ago.

XoGsUbh.jpg

mfw people say KI:U is overrepped

Last edited:
Reactions: Hemijack
What does KI have in terms of representation now?

2 playable characters.
1 assist trophy
1 3DS stage
1 WiiU stage
6 +/- items
15 +/- Smash Run enemies

For a series with 2 games,
is probably enough.

Reactions: BeatNinja
Anybody else have a pessimistic outlook for the new Smash?

Reactions: Rellek
For a series with 2 games,
is probably enough.
3 games (apeit the one was a gameboy game but people take the mario land games and Metriod 2 seriosly so way not the KI game >:( ) and a rep in a cartoon in the 80's

Children, behave or someone's gettin' a paddlin'.

TBH, I've found I don't care know that I have the leader of the characters I want to play.

add in more KI:U if they want.

God fucking damnit, the dragoon was shit. Well now I know what's being turned off the moment I load up the game.

Also do we seriously need MORE Uprising items? Come on Sakurai, I know you made the game but that doesn't mean 25% of all items need to be from it.

Anybody else have a pessimistic outlook for the new Smash?

Be more specific.

Reactions: Rellek and Smilax
I just think that, while it's nice that Nintendo isn't openly antagonizing their playerbase anymore, they still don't quite seem to "get" it. They understand that people enjoy playing Smash Bros. in a more regulated, competitive environment. They still don't understand the nuances of what it is that people are enjoying, though. Just look at the two modes being offered: One just for casual play with items and scores and all the stages, called "For Fun", and the other, called "For Glory," which removes the items and all the stages except for Final Destination. They've actually bought into the "Fox only, No Items, Final Destination" nonsense! FD isn't even a neutral stage. It's as if they don't think competitive players actually have fun or enjoy playing the game. They're just appeasing the people they disagree with in an effort to shut them up, like Nixon and the EPA.

I just think that, while it's nice that Nintendo isn't openly antagonizing their playerbase, they still don't quite seem to "get" it. They understand that people enjoy playing Smash Bros. in a more regulated, competitive environment. They still don't understand the nuances of what it is that people are enjoying, though. Just look at the two modes being offered: One just for casual play with items and scores and all the stage, called "For Fun", and the other, called "For Glory," which removes the items and all the stages except for Final Destination. They've actually bought into the "Fox only, No Items, Final Destination" nonsense. It's as if they don't think competitive players actually have fun or enjoy playing the game. They're just appeasing the people they disagree with in an effort to buy them off, like Nixon and the EPA.

"For Fun" and "For Glory" are meant to be the mindsets for online mode. If you're just playing "For fun", then most likely you're not going to be playing on Final Destination with no items. "For Glory" is exactly what it says, it's meant for people who are playing because they want to be the best.

They're not saying you can't have fun when you're playing competitively, they're saying that if you're only playing "for fun" then the mode with items is for you.

And how does that make it more pessimistic? They're heading in the right direction. This is unprecedented for Nintendo. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I just think that, while it's nice that Nintendo isn't openly antagonizing their playerbase anymore, they still don't quite seem to "get" it. They understand that people enjoy playing Smash Bros. in a more regulated, competitive environment. They still don't understand the nuances of what it is that people are enjoying, though. Just look at the two modes being offered: One just for casual play with items and scores and all the stages, called "For Fun", and the other, called "For Glory," which removes the items and all the stages except for Final Destination. They've actually bought into the "Fox only, No Items, Final Destination" nonsense! FD isn't even a neutral stage. It's as if they don't think competitive players actually have fun or enjoy playing the game. They're just appeasing the people they disagree with in an effort to shut them up, like Nixon and the EPA.

I think people are happy they are giving nods to the competitive fans at all rather than alienating them entirely.

Maybe there will be a secret mode called "For Glorious Fun" where competitive players can play for fun

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Not inspecting the cavities of gift horses really worked out well for the Trojans.

Not inspecting the cavities of gift horses really worked out well for the Trojans.

a) It's a video game primarily targeted towards children aged 6-17, not a Capcom fighting game targeted towards the core players. You have to remember that we're not the primary audience and shafting them is a crime. They're a non-vocal majority.

b) It's that kind of pessimism that breed pessimism. If there's evidence that a game is going to be terrible, such as Sonic Boom's many glitches, then it's kind of warranted. But reading all the stuff from pro players saying this game has competitive potential should nullify that. Don't just judge based on Brawl (which I think gets too much hate).

Criticizing things is fine. But just saying "yeah I think it's gonna be bad" just breeds anger on the internet.

Last edited:
But, I'm NOT just judging based on Brawl (though, it's not uninfluential). I'm judging based on the fact that they want the competitive community to play on FD and FD alone. Do you remember that kid? Was playing with him any fun at all? And all of the other stupid stuff they've said up til now.

TL;DR Don't be a butt. Irl or on the forums. The only emotion anyone should feel is happiness.

I like the implication here that Nintendo's only taking steps to get competitive players more involved so that they can eventually invade the playerbase and kill everybody.

The only emotion anyone should feel is happiness.

Well, that's not the case. Feeling a bit disappointed because "For Glory" is only Final Destination isn't wrong, but being pessimistic for the WHOLE GAME because of one thing that doesn't even affect anything aside from online isn't that good.

I didn't say that EVERYTHING about the game was going to be terrible. I'm sure it will at least look pretty.

I didn't say that EVERYTHING about the game was going to be terrible. I'm sure it will at least look pretty.

Oooooooooooooooooooooh
my God.
That was the most condescending response I think you could have possibly given.
I'm not even upset at that, it's amazing, you have to have broken a record with that or something.

But seriously, there are plenty of neutral stages that you can use offline, online with friends, in tournaments, just because the online with strangers portion doesn't have any options you particularly like, doesn't mean that whole game's out of whack for it.

lol. Come on now, you can have low expectations but don't make stupid comments.

BE HAPPY,
HAPPY,
I like the implication here that Nintendo's only taking steps to get competitive players more involved so that they can eventually invade the playerbase and kill everybody.
good enough.

I don't want to sound negative, but nobody has to play this game online at all - that's what's great about it, you can play locally with friends or at tournaments where we can turn on or off whatever is appropriate. I personally don't care what Nintendo does with fun or glory or whatever since it's a feature that I won't be using.

Pfft. I'm fine with not being able to take Rochelle online, I'd rather be free of Miis online than seeing another dick or Hitler Mii.

I thought they said she was a male?

You can even decide not to use Mii fighters at all if you think they are out of place ps2-era polygon people that have no business being in this game.... you know, hypothetically.

I plan on using Miis a lot. I always use Miis in basically any game that allows em.
So who wants to have a 'Rochelle vs. some poor sucker who's gonna get rekt' match when the game drops?

I thought they said she was a male?

That.
Was.
A.
Joke.

During the Treehouse at E3 one of the guys made a joke about Sheik's true identity being a spoiler, for some reason everybody's been taking this as proof that she's actually a guy.