• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Smash Run gets a helluva lot more fun once you start using powers. I used to think it was shit by now I find myself coming back to it in between online sessions.

Smash Run is pretty fun but,
I dunno something about the finishing competition feels a bit anticlimactic.
Maybe if the mode ended with like, a boss fight or something or you could adjust the time spent in the maze I'd like it better.

City Trial was great but it had the same problem.
The best part about it was actually exploring the city and reacting to events and setting little goals for yourself like I'm gonna destroy all those blocks by the parking garage or whatever.
The minigames that came after always felt a bit unrelated and arbitrary, except for like actual Air Rides.

That's probably the biggest flaw with Smash Run; it's City Trial with the best bits taken out. I just don't find the Smash Run world fun to explore. Add to that the fact that even the end mini-games (The worst part of City Trial) aren't as good as City Trial's, Smash Run just comes off as boring and repetitive.
The series representation from the enemies is cool, though.

Smash Run is fun, but yeah the ending battle isn't as good as it could've been.

I think I especially don't like the fact that ending matches are only timed at the end. Trying to win those with characters like Jigglypuff is a pain.

Keep fully smashing the crystals, and if that fais, use one of your powers. Horizantal Beam and Spinning Blades work best.

So, like, I recent my 3DS to factory settings and later found out that was dumb, so I got a new 3DS friend code.
2165-7535-9927
Delete the old Cyanide if you have me on there and use this one.

Can I just say that anyone who likes Dr. Mario because "he's essentially Melee Mario" can bite me? First of all, I hate the idea of Mario being a shotoclone in Smash Bros. And second and the whole point of this comment: He's fucking cheap. It's like he can counter anything you throw at him w/o any repercussions. I swear he's the only that needs to be tourney banned.

That's like... not true. Like, not even SLIGHTLY true. Dr. Mario is fucking easy, shield-grab down-b, reflector characters reflect pills, short crawlers crouch pills, everyone else shield pills. How did you even come to that conclusion? That fucking baffles me. Could I have the context? Because I am incredibly curious what makes you think that.

That's like... not true. Like, not even SLIGHTLY true. Dr. Mario is fucking easy, shield-grab down-b, reflector characters reflect pills, short crawlers crouch pills, everyone else shield pills. How did you even come to that conclusion? That fucking baffles me. Could I have the context? Because I am incredibly curious what makes you think that.

Online matches w/ Dr. Mario players who pull that Down + B edge guarding tactic. Throw in the fact that his Down B's vacuum effect has quite the range to it.....

Online matches w/ Dr. Mario players who pull that Down + B edge guarding tactic. Throw in the fact that his Down B's vacuum effect has quite the range to it.....

Dr. Mario can't go deep at all for kills; counter-pick a character with good recovery and you're fine. I would recommend any of the Dudes (and chicks)(and angels) With Swords. Once again, shield Tornado; if he stays on the ground, shield-grab; if he's above you, up-smash or up-b OOS. Tornado has a shit-ton of ending lag.

Who are you playing as? Because it sounds to me like you're just over-reacting to a bad match-up.

Yeah, I've fought a surprisingly large amounts of Docs on For Glory, and I've never seen any try to down-b off-stage.
That just sounds like a bad idea.

i'm still at a loss for words at mario's original down b being the tornade and not like
that single thing mario does to things
what was it
stomping?
i think that was it

There is a very rational and sane answer to that question of yours.

tumblr_n71bxm3xaT1s1sn5lo1_400.gif

and I'm sure someone else could tell you

i'm still at a loss for words at mario's original down b being the tornade and not like
that single thing mario does to things
what was it
stomping?
i think that was it
Have you ever made a game?

Shine OP.

Can I just say that anyone who likes Dr. Mario because "he's essentially Melee Mario" can bite me? First of all, I hate the idea of Mario being a shotoclone in Smash Bros. And second and the whole point of this comment: He's fucking cheap. It's like he can counter anything you throw at him w/o any repercussions. I swear he's the only that needs to be tourney banned.

Dr. Mario isn't even high tier, lmao. Learn the match-up, dude.

What are you going on about, name one game where Mario beat anything by stomping on it or jumping on it's head.
That's right
you can't.

Uhh...
Uhhhh...
Mario Tennis? No?
Man I'm bad at trivia.

Shine OP.

That is fucking hilarious.
Fox top-tier again confirmed.
RIP in peace Villager/Fox match-up.
"Fire!" still sounds stupid.

Yeah, I've fought a surprisingly large amounts of Docs on For Glory, and I've never seen any try to down-b off-stage.
That just sounds like a bad idea.

It's more like they're doing it mid way after I've used up my triple jump.

Dr. Mario can't go deep at all for kills; counter-pick a character with good recovery and you're fine. I would recommend any of the Dudes (and chicks)(and angels) With Swords. Once again, shield Tornado; if he stays on the ground, shield-grab; if he's above you, up-smash or up-b OOS. Tornado has a shit-ton of ending lag.

Who are you playing as? Because it sounds to me like you're just over-reacting to a bad match-up.

My usual mains of Pikachu, Fox, Pit, Bowser and Ness. Oh and Shulk, Palutena and Rosalina. Although the Dr. Mario matches in question were played with me as Shulk.

It's more like they're doing it mid way after I've used up my triple jump.

My usual mains of Pikachu, Fox, Pit, Bowser and Ness. Oh and Shulk, Palutena and Rosalina. Although the Dr. Mario matches in question were played with me as Shulk.

If you're constantly getting gimped on your recovery as Shulk, try switching to jump stance at higher percents to jump right over their edgeguard.

The jump thing is good; as a bit of general advice, if you find yourself constantly getting gimped, think about what your opponent is doing; all the angles they can come from, and mix up your recovery accordingly.
What I think may be happening is you were recovering predictably, and the Doc took advantage of that.
And, for future reference, NEVER try to start a debate about character balance with "he's the only that needs to be tourney banned" because that is Johning HARD, and stuffing fair debate, and is overall just plain stupid.

Nair is good, but it's not unbeatable, and CERTAINLY not ban worthy.
Like, how could anyone consider anything in the game this early ban worthy.
This is how you kill a meta.
Welcome to Smash. I think Meta Knight got his rep because of this kind of early flipouts and ban-happiness.

I hate it when people just assume the smash community just 'banned' Meta Knight. The difference between that and this is that when MK was banned, there was MONTHS of debate behind it, arguing over implications and stages and how it would effect the meta and the tier lists, and when the decision was finally reached, people (namely the Tri-State Area) still didn't follow the new rules, for very good reasons.
People think we banned Meta Knight because he was a good character; they're wrong. We banned Meta Knight because we came to the conclusion that he was harming the game. Meta Knight being legal was hurting the games already shaky competitive viability, and having him there was doing infinitely more harm to the meta than removing him ever could.
MK being banned was NOT an "early flip-out" or "ban-happiness"; we talked about it, heard all sides, saw all angles, and decided for the good of the community that this was just too much, and people writing this off as the competitive community being 'close minded jerks' or being 'afraid to adapt', and people who were using this as a way to try and John out every character they didn't like are incredibly close-minded and stupid people, who were, and still are, missing the point.

Your suppose to find the crystal's weak spot (shown by a X shaped crack) by generally smashing the smaller crystals first.

Holy crap, I never noticed that. That's actually really helpful, thank you. I now know how to stop hating that stupid mini-game.

Say, speaking of which, what monado arts power works best in Smash Run? Does the buster work better with enemies or is it the smash one?

Say, speaking of which, what monado arts power works best in Smash Run? Does the buster work better with enemies or is it the smash one?

Word of God says that enemies can be both knocked off the screen and have they're HP depleted, so whichever you want, I guess.

Back