• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Yeah. I have a rule for Smash charicters and that is that NONE of Sonic's freinds are in the game.

What's wrong with Knuckles? He's one of the best friends, new characterization notwithstanding. Go back to Sonic 3&K and he's a badass. Heck, even in the Adventure games hes awesome.

If this was Shadow/Mighty/Vector/CHARMY THE FUCKING BEE JESUS then yeah it'd be bad but Knux is cool

Unlike Sonic he doesn't chuckle. He'd rather flex his muscles.

sonic's place in smash is dodgy at best and stupid at worst so adding a secondary character from a waning sega franchise is kinda of a dumbass thing for a nintendo series jamboree
especially when you could add like
literally anyone else

Here's the logic behind implementing Knuckles:

-Model already in the game, since he's a trophy, thereby reducing the work of making a new model as well as reducing the chances of a C&D (if there were characters that had zero assets in the game at all, then some copyright thing could happen. It's complicated).
-Easy clone of Sonic. Like Sakurai's mentioned in the past regarding the actual games, clones are essentially bonus characters that don't need as much work put into them as others. The Project M team put in enough work to make him different but he does reuse a lot of assets already in-game as you can tell by that footage.
-Recognizable, for better or for worse. It's part of the reason my dream of seeing Hector in a Smash game ever is but a pipe dream.

was everyone really hollering for a clone of sonic though
is this an occurrence that's been going on in the smash fanbase for some time that I haven't been privy to

i remember being told that the model was far too poor in quality compared to actual character (similar to AT) they probably redid it all based off of that model, but why a sonic char, idk

is this an occurrence that's been going on in the smash fanbase for some time that I haven't been privy to
Wouldn't blame you for ignoring the Sonic section of the fanbase, but yes, there are people out there.

Shadow_rivals.png

Yes, apparently.

While there are other characters that I would have preferred, I'm completely fine with the PMBR working on those three. I'm just thankful that the PMBR has managed to create an engine (or whatever the correct terminology would be) that would allow for the addition of characters without replacing any current ones. What they are doing now was pretty much impossible in Brawl beforehand, so I don't particularly mind if the characters are not my favorites.

I don't know anything about Lyn OR Issac beyond the titles of their respective games, and Knuckles... well, he's the single best non-Tails Sonic representative they could have chosen, but I didn't ask for another Sonic rep. That being said, the PMBR is adding three brand new, fully developed characters to the mod! Without replacing any characters! For free! So I am not about to complain that they aren't the ones I wanted.

But if they nerf Ganondorf, my complaining will shake the Earth itself.

But if they nerf Ganondorf, my complaining will shake the Earth itself.

Really, Gannon didn't actually get that much better in 3.5.
Dead Man's Float is hype as fuck, but pretty useless like, 70% of the time.
Dead Man's Volley does help with a few bad match-ups, but it's not Earth-shattering or anything. I doubt that it'll bring any of is bad MU up past 6-4, maybe bring Samus to 5-5, but even then it's a stretch.
The taunt-attack is more or less just that; a taunt, though I have gotten some sick edge-guards.
Gannon is a character that hasn't actually gotten much better in PM, just a lot cooler.
If anything, I would expect him to get buffed come next patch.

You say that as if coolness isn't a buff.

Oh, no, coolness is very certainly a buff, just not one that would have an effect on ones match-up rankings.
Coolness raises characters spots on the tier lists in our hearts, not so much on the ones in Smashboards.

I sort of hope Sakurai's gonna do something like "Here's an early picture of Mewtwo in Smash Wii U!" or something for the pic of the day sometime this week.

Cause the last entire week has been stuff we know.

Maybe a proper look at Kongo Jungle 64.

Maybe a proper look at Kongo Jungle 64.

Judging by the fact that we've gotten no footage of that stage yet, methinks it may be on Nintendo's naughty list of stages, meaning it's unlockable if you couldn't get past my wave of euphemisms. That means that we probably won't get any gameplay on it til' the game launches in North America.

btw how bad are recoveries now in PM? like how many more characters are roy level of they just can't recover from certain situations.

Sonic can no longer jump-cancel side-b mid-air, DDD wastes all his jumps with up-b, Diddy's up-b hitbox is smaller and the barrels do nothing, Ike can only wall-jump out of side-b once, Link's spin-attack has a smaller hitbox, Mewtwo teleport is like Melee (bad), Pit's side-b is slower and up-b doesn't go as far, we all know what happened with tethers, R.O.B. can't airdodge with no boosts remaining, Snake can't airdodge after Cypher, and Wolf has more start-up on his up-b.
That's only the tip of the iceberg, though; official changelist HERE.

Let's not mince words here; recoveries in 3.5 got fucking melted, re-purposed as manure containers, then melted again.
Like, this was more severe than I was expecting, and I expected it to be pretty severe.

Haha! That's certainly an interesting trophy though... Goes to show that they'll make a trophy of everything.

so nintendo lifted their restrictions on use of their IPs in fan created content
LPers rejoice

Japan only so far though.

Which means doujinshis

Doujinshis for days

Sonic can no longer jump-cancel side-b mid-air, DDD wastes all his jumps with up-b, Diddy's up-b hitbox is smaller and the barrels do nothing, Ike can only wall-jump out of side-b once, Link's spin-attack has a smaller hitbox, Mewtwo teleport is like Melee (bad), Pit's side-b is slower and up-b doesn't go as far, we all know what happened with tethers, R.O.B. can't airdodge with no boosts remaining, Snake can't airdodge after Cypher, and Wolf has more start-up on his up-b.
That's only the tip of the iceberg, though; official changelist HERE.

Let's not mince words here; recoveries in 3.5 got fucking melted, re-purposed as manure containers, then melted again.
Like, this was more severe than I was expecting, and I expected it to be pretty severe.
okay thanks for showing me the changelog.
also how is jigglypuff not the worst? and who is the worst if it isn't jigglypuff?

So I don't know if you guys have heard about The Legend of Masked Smasher FalcoMaster3000 that happened last weekend.

At my University, there was a masked smasher who never talked nor ate in the 9 hour timeframe and proceeded to destroy everyone. No one knows who he is.

Just who was that masked man?

I love how all of people are guessing like M2K or HungryBox or Reggie or freaking Dylan Sprouse

but like

this is EDMONTON. THE FROZEN NORTH. NO ONE VOLUNTARILY COMES UP HERE, THEY JUST GET STUCK

Back