• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

tumblr_npxxa8JOfE1qesqm0o1_500.gif

You always have the best gifs and pictures
It makes me wonder if you guys have some kind of "gif" folder you just accumulate over time.
Or maybe I'm just not funny.

Reactions: Rellek
Donkey Kick and parry? This is the best. Why are people upset about this character?

Oh wow, that looks fantastic!
What is Pac-man holding and eating, though? Toothpicks?

"If you hit the opponent, press forward twice to cancel the animation and dash, then attack."

If you need me, I'll be in the lab.

Jesus Christ, I'm never going to escape this shit.

Well, I updated the post from where the original image came from. I knew it looked familiar.

I have a feeling Ryu is going to be really good, liker top-tier. Damage seems to rack up easily with him.
Here's his trailer, by the way, if anybody reading the thread hasn't watched it.
Kirby saying "Hadouken!" killed me. It's just too adorable.

Reactions: North888
Samus's up smash has been fixed buffed. The hitboxes string together reliably now and will most likely end on the last hit, which also has increased knockback. Pretty good, pretty good.

And yet again, Lucas is ignored.

I never realized how badly Smash players needed the "Git Gud" disease till now.

Reactions: DDB
Roy feels really satisfying to play as, more than Marth, even.

Like not "winning because you work harder to win" he's honestly just feels better.

I'm not saying anything about Smash being or not being a fighting game, but does it not seem odd these same hordes of people try to make Smash recognised as being a legitimate fight game then throw a fit when one character has the option of controlling like a fighting game character?

I don't play Ryu, not really touched SF2 or 4, but as a Smash fan I think this is just a really cool way to give a character fan service through game mechanics, and let's be honest, Smash exists for fan service, it's a celebration of Nintendo's history and now broadening a bit more to just video game history.

I'm not saying anything about Smash being or not being a fighting game, but does it not seem odd these same hordes of people try to make Smash recognised as being a legitimate fight game then throw a fit when one character has the option of controlling like a fighting game character?

I don't play Ryu, not really touched SF2 or 4, but as a Smash fan I think this is just a really cool way to give a character fan service through game mechanics, and let's be honest, Smash exists for fan service, it's a celebration of Nintendo's history and now broadening a bit more to just video game history.

The thing is, it's absolutely not the same people. Smash is a long running series with a huge amount of people playing it, and not all those people want the same thing.

My best guess as to why people are angry is because it changes the basic things to expect from the game. From what I've gathered, people want it to be recognized as having as much competitive value as a fighting game, not as a normal fighting game.
For myself, I think while it is a nice touch to have proper FG inputs for Ryu, that is going to feel awkward in the game, especially on the little analog you use for the game. It's not like it'll be on a d-pad, it'll be like playing a fighting game with a controller analog which is the same as hitting yourself until you become numb.
Either way I'm not going to play Ryu. His entire reveal/trailer screams "OH GUYS STREET FIGHTER V HAS BEEN REVEALED, GET EXCITED FOR IT" from Capcom's end.

The people complaining are not the people who push Smash to be "recognized as a real fighting game". They're casual elitists who bitch and moan at even the slightly complex mechanic Smash has. Regardless of input type.

I also think that the argument that it's just an option is stupid. "You have the option of doing a good move or the weak version of it.". Even the stupid people who are complaining can see that you're not really getting much by only using the Smash input.

Only character I wanted to play since the game was released. Been trying him out and he seems more interesting than in Brawl. Dat tether recovery length. Dat no lag on zair. But I don't really know enough about smash to really say something about how good he is in general.

it's absolutely not the same people.
The people complaining are not the people who push Smash to be "recognized as a real fighting game". They're casual elitists who bitch and moan at even the slightly complex mechanic Smash has. Regardless of input type.
My mistake. It's just an assumption from seeing a similar number of people being vocal about the same game.

I also think that the argument that it's just an option is stupid. "You have the option of doing a good move or the weak version of it.". Even the stupid people who are complaining can see that you're not really getting much by only using the Smash input.
I don't have my Wii-U so I haven't played, the direct made it seem more like you get a good version for the regular input and a somewhat better version for the real input, except it sounded like DPing could instant KO, which is kind of stupid.

I don't have my Wii-U so I haven't played, the direct made it seem more like you get a good version for the regular input and a somewhat better version for the real input, except it sounded like DPing could instant KO, which is kind of stupid.
If I'm not mistaken you only get invulnerable startup if you do the DP and it has no landing lag. On top of having more damage and knockback.
I can see reasons to use the smash input Hadoukens but the Shoryuken and Tatsumaki seem to be straight up better than the smash input versions. Unfortunately I only had money for one character and can't test it myself so I can't really confirm those for you.

You really WILL have to beat Ryu's Shoryuken to stand a chance
Oookay, then.
Anyone want a used copy of Smash 4?

Reactions: CountofBleck

You really WILL have to beat Ryu's Shoryuken to stand a chance
He...he can Punish counters....

He can punish counters which are meant to punish him for attacking by attacking through them...

Reactions: Meow-Professor
Here, have some fun times with Lucas

they should head to the doctor because it looks like there's an outbreak of Roybies

So I was playing around with Ryu and found that I was perfect shielding alot. Like, I don't know if it's was a mental thing or if I just didn't notice how much I perfect shielded before, but the parry sound really makes it obvious now.