• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Today's picture.

daily.jpg
Why is Link such a chick magnet?

Reactions: 80% Lean
Today's picture.

daily.jpg
Why is Link such a chick magnet?

Because chick's have been attracted to him since Link to the Past. When he thrusts his sword upon them, they came in flocks and began swarming him.

Reactions: Crayolan and Jutsei
Can't remember off the top of my head. I want to say it was one of the first times they started using the MS Paint portrait of the characters. It was a while back.

Yeah that was way back in 1.X days :P Shit was really messed up back then. They really stepped it up in MAX. Give it a try sometime.

I think the thing is that Brawl was heavy on detail compared to 4. 4 is going for a less "gritty" artstyle than Brawl was and frankly looks all the better because of it. I never understood Mario TP-ized in Brawl for instance.

I think 'frankly' is a matter of opinion, but I liked that they had a uniform style in Brawl. It looks sorta odd when you have Fox with detailed hair/fur and Peach with barely textured yellow just because that's more like the Mario artstyle.

Just weird because looking at the two, I'd guess Brawl was the one on a stronger system.

I think the thing is that Brawl was heavy on detail compared to 4. 4 is going for a less "gritty" artstyle than Brawl was and frankly looks all the better because of it. I never understood Mario TP-ized in Brawl for instance.

I wouldn't necessarily say it was more detailed, just a different style. Sakurai decided to use dirt and hard/gritty textures (like denim, cuts, and stuff) to differentiate the style from Melee. This was probably because technicality wise the hardware of the Wii wasn't much more powerful than the GameCube, so he couldn't really do things like change the lighting system or support better antialiasing or anything that would be more taxing on the system, effectively making the game from a technical standpoint the same as Melee. So the next logical thing to do would be to make the game look different by hardbaking different textures into the skins to give the game a different look from a purely artistic standpoint instead.

I feel like Smash 4's simpler look fits the Nintendo universe better because most of the characters come from very cartoony games, and with the new real hardware spec upgrade new systems like better lighting and antialiasing really make the simpler style stand out better. So far the only two characters that come from "grittier" styles in their original games are Link and Samus, but even then their subtle stylistic changes still make them fit in just great in Smash 4, not to mention we already know Link does well in non-gritty styles from Skyward Sword even if they're still using his general design from Twilight Princess.

I vote for Smash U looking the best. I feel like they got it spot on with this one. All the excess detail isn't hardly noticed when you're kicking the shit out of someone and even witht he camera that far away. It makes it so there's a lot less to focus on the characters themselves and so more focus can be put on actually battling.

And how bout that update? Damn footstooling :/

So, yeah. It seems the "Footstool jump" technique has returned.

daily.jpg

I think it was confirmed a while back in an interview with Sakurai. I think he said that tripping would be gone but footstooling still around. A way to give every character a meteor he called it.

I hate when you accidentally footstool someone... hopefully it can be mapped to a button or a feature like that

hopefully, fox's reflector is jump cancellable again, I loved that in melee, samus looks alright in her other M suit, I don't know why people hate it so much :c

hopefully, fox's reflector is jump cancellable again, I loved that in melee, samus looks alright in her other M suit, I don't know why people hate it so much :c

It was roll cancellable after you reflect something with it in Brawl, but I know that's not nearly as noteworthy or useful as jump canceling. I can't imagine them putting it back in though...

Sakurai left a small caption along with this photo, stating that Samus' charge shot has seen a drastic improvement in speed and power. He went on to mention that this could potentially put her in danger, though, as seen in the image.

I hope "power" in this case means "knockback", because that's really what she needs after the nerf in Brawl.

I hope "power" in this case means "knockback", because that's really what she needs after the nerf in Brawl.

this, I hate that even with screwed DI, that thing dosen't kill until 150ish%

this, I hate that even with screwed DI, that thing dosen't kill until 150ish%

Nah, even with really good DI it'll kill at 120%

It's usually because of reasons like this whiner is mentioning: http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/email-sakurai-has-added-an-other-m-stage-to-brawl/ (I gotta stop bringing him up everywhere I go but in this case it's apt because THAT IS pretty much the reason why the Other M references in this game get attacked: because 99% of society hates Other M and hate the idea of it being referenced in a Smash Bros. game out of fear that the next Metroid game will be just like it. It's also why the idea of Retro making DKC Tropical Freeze gets hated on)

Seriously, does this guy and everyone else whining about the Other M stuff NOT know that Sakurai usually just picks elements from the most recent games at time of development to reference when he makes this stuff for Smash Bros? It's been that way since the beginning though Melee and Brawl made it more obvious. It's why we had the Frigate Orpheon from Prime, Delphino Plaza from Mario Sunshine, Spear Pillar from Diamond and Pearl, and Rumble Falls from Jungle Beat as stages in Brawl. And he's doing the same thing here.

that article reminds me that we should have the "Faces of Evil" as a stage in Smash 4, or "Bowsers Hotel"

Other M wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. To be honest I kinda wanna revamped version with somethings fixed [like skipping cutscenes and slight rewriting] for the 3ds or wiiu

"One thought I keep trying to dismiss but, due to the actions and behavior of Nintendo, I cannot is that Nintendo has become a ‘Japanese Pride Parade’ company and will not consider non-Japanese games including ones they own."
. . . considering like 90% of their games are Japanese and they are trying to please as many people as possible and we barely know any of the cast and "Japanese Pride Parade" wat and and *brain explodes nullifying anything this guy has to say

I can imagine base knockback is increased, knockback growth increased, speed increased but does the same amount of damage. I think that's rather fair.

I can imagine base knockback is increased, knockback growth increased, speed increased but does the same amount of damage. I think that's rather fair.
Pretty much, shouldn't Samus' charge beam be that big awesome attack you love using?

RIDLEY IS BIG AS SHIT!1!1!!!!

As loud as this man is, he does have evidence to support his claims. He also took evidence that would be used against him and crushed it. Personally, I didn't think the modded Ridley looked all that weird. Just needed some more work done on it. In any case, it does seem that Ridley is a bit big for Smash canonically. Maybe they can just put in a 8 bit NES Ridley, haha.

We need news about this game, at least a new video ):

I don't know how many times I have watched the reveal haha.

Also does anyone think that Project M could impact this game? I mean they must have seen it and now that they're adding Roy well.. project m doesn't look that bad

So today's screenshot seems to be Peach accepting Mario's hand in marriage.

Boy, Sakurai would blow the whole world's mind with that one if it was true. I know it's not gonna happen, but still.
daily.jpg

Sakurai posted the words "Who is the ring for?" on Miiverse, adding a layer of ambiguity to proceedings. Also, if you look closely, the ring is on the wrong finger of Peach's left hand, at least if Mushroom Kingdom marital traditions are the same as those of the real world.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
This is just the many possibilities of the continuum shift!

Hahaha sorry about that...

Maybe this is just to annoy the hell out of people with FANFICTION!!!

Peach already has her ring on in a few screen shots though

I know that, but this could of been a thing in the past. It might hold some secret ability or something.

As loud as this man is, he does have evidence to support his claims. He also took evidence that would be used against him and crushed it. Personally, I didn't think the modded Ridley looked all that weird. Just needed some more work done on it. In any case, it does seem that Ridley is a bit big for Smash canonically. Maybe they can just put in a 8 bit NES Ridley, haha.

Well ridley by himself looks fine it's just that compared to samus he seems like a baby ridley and that is what makes him look awkward/bad. along with the fact he was already a boss gives him a comparable size to everyone else in smash.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Well ridley by himself looks fine it's just that compared to samus he seems like a baby ridley and that is what makes him look awkward/bad. along with the fact he was already a boss gives him a comparable size to everyone else in smash.

THANK YOU. Ridley is NOT going to be a playable character y'all. It just ain't happenin so get over it. They've already established his size in the smash universe and he's, quote "big as shit". If they do for WHATEVER REASON make a part in the story mode where he shrinks his size for the sole purpose of kicking ass in smash, then that story SUCKS

Why the hell is he even shrinking when he could just crush shit in his massive jaws? AGH it doesn't make sense. Ridley is not going to be playable.

Errr... Size is no reason to exclude someone.

Olimar_and_Pikmin_Smash_pic_8.jpg

Reactions: Jutsei
Nice job posting a screenshot of two characters from two different games that have no relation to one another for size comparison.

Really, good job.

The point is that Olimar should be the size of a penny in his own game and Bowser is supposed to be at least twice as tall as Mario. The fact that they're pretty close in size in this game is a good indication as to why size shouldn't really be an issue.

Did you even watch the video up there?

Olimar is from a game where there is no other characters to compare him to in size OTHER THAN THE PIKMIN. Therefore, so long as Olimar is in the same size ratio in comparison to his Pikmin, he can be any size he wants and still be perfectly acceptable. The problem with Ridley is that he is already established to be massive as all get out IN COMPARISON to Samus. Downsizing him to the size of Samus would be incredibly awkward, look absolutely horrendous, and would be the work of very poor fan choice (where has that happened before?) which is exactly the kind of thing that won't happen to a good game like Smash Bros. They know better than that.