• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Alternatively, they could also just not care and make Ridley the biggest character in the cast. Who cares if he's really big? It worked in Marvel 3 (kinda) after Sentinel was nerfed enough, and Skullgirls is doing it with Big Band.

Not that I really care, but has anyone considered them including Ridley, but keeping him large? Not exactly as large as in Brawl, but still like 2x the size of brawl's biggest character. I mean lots of other fighting games have huge characters, and just cause smash hasn't had one yet doesn't mean they can't.

Edit: goddamn ninjas

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
But this isn't even a fighting game :/ Sakurai himself says it's a party game :P Anyways, keeping him the same size AND making him playable just isn't going to happen. His moves would then gain priority over a lot of attacks and reach across half the stage which would be totally unfun.

Save the spot for something more feasible and fun. I dunno, like Dixie or something.

Considering how KOs and stuff work in Smash, I don't think putting him in as super gigantic is a good idea. It'd be like picking a slightly smaller Giga Bowser every round. And four of them? Yeah, that's not gonna work folks.

Reactions: Rellek
Are we really doing this?
This is becoming Pre-Brawl arguments.

I blame the schools.

Why would they suddenly gain priority? Just because they're long range doesn't mean the hitboxes have to be disjointed. Make his hurtbox attached to them and hey, suddenly you have a way to counter long range.

And remember, the main reason people want Ridley is because there aren't many more opportunities for Metroid representation besides Samus. Donkey Kong already has two reps (though I don't mind a third) while Metroid has been left in the dust for way too long now.

Last thing: if you want pre-Brawl arguments, I'll give you pre-Brawl arguments.
ridley+super+smash+bros+melee+shot+by+samus+aran.jpg

Well then Samus should've found a partner to adventure with. Or found a prince to fight metroids to save because she's gonna be alone for a long time.

You're right. Let's get back to important topics:

39a.png

This has given me Permanent Chuckling Syndrome. Now I have to go find some PCS medicine. I'm all out.

Did you even watch the video up there?

Olimar is from a game where there is no other characters to compare him to in size OTHER THAN THE PIKMIN. Therefore, so long as Olimar is in the same size ratio in comparison to his Pikmin, he can be any size he wants and still be perfectly acceptable. The problem with Ridley is that he is already established to be massive as all get out IN COMPARISON to Samus. Downsizing him to the size of Samus would be incredibly awkward, look absolutely horrendous, and would be the work of very poor fan choice (where has that happened before?) which is exactly the kind of thing that won't happen to a good game like Smash Bros. They know better than that.
His argument against the bowser one was extremely weak though. "Bowser is a turtle! It's different! I swear!" If it weren't for that point I might have taken him seriously.
Even if turtles come in different sizes... Ridley is a dinosaur, not a dragon. They come in different sizes. In fact he's quite a bit bigger than the average pterodactyl, which is obviously what he's based on. And even if he was a dragon, they come in different sizes too... in fact the tallest real dragon is about a foot tall.
I don't understand why he can't just be shrunk a bit and still be the tallest character in the game. Obviously he can't be massive but he can still be bigger than other characters, can't he?

Last edited:
But bowser has always been that size in comparison to Mario. NES he was a tiny bit taller, Super Mario 64 he was bigger still, but he's always been displayed as larger than mario, but small enough to be whipped around by his tail. In the Galaxy games, the same deal. He's classically been about that size in comparison to Mario.

Obviously he's obsessed with trying his best to be gigantic so he can stomp Mario (Probably why is FS is Giga Bowser) and a couple game display this (Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, etc) where he gains his unbelievable size with his master work of being an evil dunce that has no fallback on his plans. But regardless, he's definitely applicable for being put in the game without being so absolutely taboo looking. Everyone knows he's a bit bigger than Mario, but Mario still kicks his ass with his bare hands.

Whether Ridley is a dinosaur or a dragon makes no difference on how badly he would look in game. Either be a massive awkward mess of polygons and hitboxes across half the stage or be shrunken to a reasonable size and then look completely stupid.

Something's telling me you've got some other reason to be so against Ridley.

Reactions: Jutsei
Nope. Just being sensical and reasonable. I fuckin love metroid, but Ridley's gonna have to tank it. Sad to say, it just doesn't seem logical in any way whatsoever.

This has given me Permanent Chuckling Syndrome. Now I have to go find some PCS medicine. I'm all out.

Maybe I should start putting warnings before incoming black male disney sitcom actors.

And a Metroid violated their Mother?

Pics or didn't happen.

so little being said about 3Ds version....

I think there's gonna be a lot of people yelling in public, spewing death threats and taunts once the 3DS version comes out.

I hope it doesn't have the same issues that Brawl had with lag...

Oh boy all the public Salt!
I can already imagine the discussions at McDonald's

"mommy, whats a motherfuckin' salty bastard?"

Lets say if Bayonetta or any of the TW101 characters has a slot. Would you be ok with that?

Lets say if Bayonetta or any of the TW101 characters has a slot. Would you be ok with that?
I doubt it, but I kinda wish an Eshop character like Mallo, Dillon, or Patricia could get a spot too.

Personally I would rather not, due to W101 being a little too recent of a WiiU game(yes, even with the game being released a year from now) and Bayonetta currently having 0 releases on a Nintendo console.
However, with the increase in sales it would bring(specifically Bayonetta) and overall pleasing the fanbase, I wouldn't really be able to complain much.

But bowser has always been that size in comparison to Mario. NES he was a tiny bit taller, Super Mario 64 he was bigger still, but he's always been displayed as larger than mario, but small enough to be whipped around by his tail. In the Galaxy games, the same deal. He's classically been about that size in comparison to Mario.

Obviously he's obsessed with trying his best to be gigantic so he can stomp Mario (Probably why is FS is Giga Bowser) and a couple game display this (Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, etc) where he gains his unbelievable size with his master work of being an evil dunce that has no fallback on his plans. But regardless, he's definitely applicable for being put in the game without being so absolutely taboo looking. Everyone knows he's a bit bigger than Mario, but Mario still kicks his ass with his bare hands.

Whether Ridley is a dinosaur or a dragon makes no difference on how badly he would look in game. Either be a massive awkward mess of polygons and hitboxes across half the stage or be shrunken to a reasonable size and then look completely stupid.
After super mario 64, Bowser's size is at least twice as big as mario.
If you count before mario 64, you can count NES Ridley.

After super mario 64, Bowser's size is at least twice as big as mario.
If you count before mario 64, you can count NES Ridley.
except in most all the sports games.

Reactions: Rellek
we should stop concerning ourselves with Ridley and instead want the best character from Melee to return
Pichu_SSBM.jpg

Reactions: Rellek and Crayolan
we should stop concerning ourselves with Ridley and instead want the best character from Melee to return
Pichu_SSBM.jpg
Apparently you dont know Pichu WAS in Brawl. He just evolved between games. Dead serious. No Kappas here.

Apparently you dont know Pichu WAS in Brawl. He just evolved between games. Dead serious. No Kappas here.
I know, how else could it know Volt Tackle and wall jump?

Pics or didn't happen.

You don't need pics to picture that.

I can already imagine the discussions at McDonald's

"mommy, whats a motherfuckin' salty bastard?"

More like...

Cashier: "Yes, may I take you order?"

Player: "Yeah, I'll have a #3 with a side of fri---Fucking Bullshit! That asshole had 268% damage and he managed to live?! He should be dead after that last attack!"

Everyone: "..."

You don't need pics to picture that.

More like...

Cashier: "Yes, may I take you order?"

Player: "Yeah, I'll have a #3 with a side of fri---Fucking Bullshit! That asshole had 268% damage and he managed to live?! He should be dead after that last attack!"

Everyone: "..."
I seriously bet there will be some kind of nintenzone trophy item in smash 3d and people will go to MickeyD's to get it.... then swear up a storm.

I'm actually REALLY surprised here. I wasn't expecting ol' Toon Link to come back in, but I'm really glad he's back.

I knew it! Toon Link made it in because of Wind Waker HD. I'm a little disappointed he's coming back. I figured he'd be treated like Young Link, one game appearance and then not return for a more interesting version.

I mean he's just a light weight version of Link. I thought everyone wanted to get rid of clone characters, not celebrate their return. I would have much preferred Masked Link.

Anything Toon Link does, normal Link can already do. He literally brings nothing new to the table, aside from his different appearance and being faster than normal Link. However, I can't jump to conclusions yet as Sakurai might give him new moves. For example, his side special could be the Deku Leaf, on the ground it pushes foes back similar to Mario's F.L.U.D.D., and in the air it's a recovery move.

Last edited:
Okay not to offend anyone who's actually a fan of him but did they really need to bring him back? I only hope this nets us a cool stage for the WiiU version like last time.

I'm also confused why he returned, while some people are happy I'm not sure...

I hope that his moveset is different at least...

Because Wind Waker is the best 3D Zelda ever.