• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Better translation from a dude on NeoGAF

Robin, the protagonist from Fire Emblem: Awakening

• Select male or female the same way you rotate colors
  • Uses the Levin Sword for Smash attacks and various tomes for his special attacks
  • Both weapons disappear after a certain number of uses and will automatically recover after a set amount of time passes OR the player "makes a mistake" (note: not sure if this means "whiffs an attack" or "gets hit")
  • Side Smash: horizontal slice with electric shock damage, automatically switches to bronze sword after a set number of uses
  • Forward Aerial: can use the Levin Sword a set number of times by Smashing the aerial (note: this implies that tilting to use the aerial will simply summon the bronze sword)
  • Down Special - Nosferatu: summons out a snake-shaped purple curse in front of him/her, drains % from opponents hit by the curse, amount recovered increases when striking an opponent from behind
  • Neutral Special - Thunder: chargeable projectile, press once to charge and cycle through Thunder -> Elthunder -> Arcthunder ->Thoron, press again to unleash spell, can shield while charging to hold the charge (a la Charge Shot) and press again to resume charging
  • Side Special - Arcfire: projectile that launches diagonally downward (a la PK Fire), summons a pillar of flames whenever the spell hits the ground/a character/an item
  • Up Special - Elwind: fires two projectiles almost directly downward and leaps up when performed in the air, doesn't even jump when the tome has expired (note: no news about how it performs on the ground
  • Final Smash - Pair Up: Chrom performs a dashing slash, opponents caught in the attack are launched into the air and subjected to an onslaught of slashes from Chrom and spells from Robin

Apparently, the part about a character being cut might actually be a mistranslation and Lucina was just an alt that got promoted to Marth clone.

The guy on gaf who tanner got his info from admitted he was mistaken. There was no cut.

Not mine, but

tumblr_n8sot615Gi1sntotwo1_500.png

So then should Marth get an Ephraim color? Though they would look largely the same.

if she got a Mia color I would actually consider using her

Not mine, but

tumblr_n8sot615Gi1sntotwo1_500.png

I would honestly play this color.
Mostly exclusively.
Sacred Stones was the only FE game I've ever played.

Captain Falcon, from the F-Zero series:
another winner of the Smash series perfect attendance award
very few changes to the character from the last iteration, so players used to playing with the Cap should have no problem picking him up this time around
Up Special - Falcon Dive: leaps up and grabs opponent, explodes to deal damage, functions as a grab and thus can strike shielding opponents
Neutral Special - Falcon Punch: charges up and unleashes a spectacular punch, very strong but leaves CF wide open, able to change direction and increase power(!) by tilting the stick in the opposite direction right after performing the move
Side Smash - Overheat Elbow: unleashes a strong long-range strike, considerably slow wind-up
Down Special - Falcon Kick: delivers a flaming kick, strikes diagonally downward when performed in the air
Side Special - Falcon Knuckle: dashes forward and uppercuts the opponent, lifts opponent upward when performed on the ground, sends opponents flying downward when performed in the air
Final Smash - Blue Falcon: summons his prized F-Zero racecar and slams into opponents directly in front of him

And then Lucina:

Lucina, from Fire Emblem: Awakening:
Uses the same techniques as Marth--probably because it's in her blood
Attacks do the same amount of damage regardless of which part of her blade strikes the opponent (unlikes Marth's tippers) making her an "easy character for anyone to pick up and use"
Just like in FE:A, she puts on and takes off her mask when appearing on stage and when taunting (note: no mention of whether or not you can choose to keep the mask on or off)
Side Smash: Slashes downward in front of her, quick and far-reaching and thus easy to use
Up Smash: Stabs upward with great force, sends out shockwaves to deal some damage to nearby opponents
Up Special - Dolphin Slash: jumps while slashing upward, very quick and thus useful for intercepting opponents approaching from the air
Side Special - Marvelous Combination: able to perform combos by pressing the button again after the first strike, slashes vary depending on which direction you tilt the stick in when pressing the button
Down Special - Counter: unleashes a counterslash when struck directly after performing the move, highly effective during free-for-alls and just after landing (note: seems to imply that landing lag has been reduced such that you actually can perform moves with relative speed after landing)
Neutral Special - Shield Breaker: sharply stabs forward, able to be charged, long-reaching but relatively slow wind-up

Since it needs to be amended, here's the current list of Assist Trophies that still haven't been reconfirmed from Brawl, even after all this time AND E3 AND World Hobby Fair:

-Barbara
-Excitebikes
-Gray Fox
-Helirin
-Infantry and Tanks (Advance Wars Units)
-Isaac
-Kat and Ana (Possibly replaced by Ashley and Waluigi's rebranding as a Wario character)
-Little Mac :P
-Mr. Resetti (Possibly replaced by Isabelle)
-Ray MK III

Falcon Knuckle
It's not called Raptor Boost anymore? DOES THIS MEAN FALCON FINALLY CALLS OUT THE NAME OF ALL HIS SPECIALS?!?

Down Special - Counter: unleashes a counterslash when struck directly after performing the move, highly effective during free-for-alls and just after landing (note: seems to imply that landing lag has been reduced such that you actually can perform moves with relative speed after landing)
Bullshit, Lucy can't inherent counter at all /NERDRAGE

It's not called Raptor Boost anymore? DOES THIS MEAN FALCON FINALLY CALLS OUT THE NAME OF ALL HIS SPECIALS?!?
The poster said he wasn't versed in Smash Lingo, so it could be the Japanese name.

>smash bros
>canon attacks

please pick one

Reactions: TechPowah
wasn't turnt falcon punch slightly stronger in brawl though too
unless it's like
noticeable now
that isn't new

also yeah Raptor Boost is called Falcon Knuckle in japan

wasn't turnt falcon punch slightly stronger in brawl though too
unless it's like
noticeable now
that isn't new

Honestly the first I heard of this.

That's pretty cool.

And yeah, I'm totes fine with no changes to Falcon - though I still want to see a Rapid Fire Falcon Punch Barrage

(A raptor is another name for predatory birds. i.e. a falcon)

(A raptor is another name for predatory birds. i.e. a falcon)

leavemealoneok.

Edit: IUSFGHIDSUFHGETIUGHTAIUF.

Hey, tacticians can't use nosferatu!
Give me canon movesets or give me death!

and yet they still got rid of Weegee Zone

Probably cause it was fucking stupid.

And also Nosferatu is an actual thing in Fire Emblem, Robin specifically can't learn it but others can and it works representing the magic-using cast of FE as a whole.

And Marth has a counter.
So it'd make sense that his clone would also

have a counter.

Probably cause it was fucking stupid.

And also Nosferatu is an actual thing in Fire Emblem, Robin specifically can't learn it but others can and it works representing the magic-using cast of FE as a whole.

Technically he can, just not as a Tactician. You have to change his class w/ a Second Seal to Dark Mage in order for him to use it. I'm hoping one of the variations on this move is the Book of Naga. That's the only Tome he hasn't been confirmed to use yet.

They really couldn't do anything to make Lucina different than Marth besides sword properties? I'm not really super up to date with all of this but that's all I've read.

We don't know all the changes, we just know that the sword properties are the primary ones.

Also, Lucina is apparently very similar to Marth in Awakening; she has a reason to be a clone.

well she spends half the game trying to pass herself off as him
then her hair volume triples and she becomes waifutrash

i will body all of you not even fronting

Brah I'll punch you with a vegetable, don't mess with me.

To you I say Boot to the head

Real talk tho: the people of Calgary need that money to move somewhere nicer

Cause Calgary succcccks butts

YEAH YOU HEARD ME YOU COWBOYS

Save the trashtalk for the tourney, hue.
I know it isn't really trashtalk don't hurt me '^'

"Pic of the day. We have Nintendogs plus cats! How could we forget them!! Just FYI, there are about five dog breeds in this game. This was me, reporting from the 3DS-exclusive stage, Living Room."
zlCfzSLPS8AN5JkEqV.jpg

Reactions: Hemijack
Judging from how Robin's official render does NOT separate them, I'm actually thinking we might get them together on one Amiibo. That's pretty cool.

I'd be very surprised if they even bother to develop an Amiibo for robin.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=121384840

Moar translations, Gematsu Dragon rises again.

Sakurai with the real talk, cutting out all the bullshit and getting to the point. Why did he choose not to have Chrom on the roster? Because we already have 2 blue haired swordsmen and don't need a 3rd.

It also pleases me to see that Sakurai is a gamer. I'm sure it helps to know your Nintendo franchises when you have to combine them all in the ultimate crossover.

When asked if there was going to be an Amiibo for every Smash character at E3, they outright said "Of course we're going to make them all."

In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

Dark Pit's totally an alt costume with new lines and name.

Reactions: Rellek

I mean who knows if it actually happens but in dis interview the general manager of Nintendo software planning and development says they plan to have amiibos for every character. Kinda makes sense considering the idea behind them and their intended functionality in-game.