• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Nah I'm preordering it on Wednesday.
Hopefully there will be copies left.
Hopefully.

Might depend on where you live. The base game itself should be fine - I was able to preorder that. It was just the GC Adaptor bundle that I couldn't.

... Didn't stop Tink (Since Melee if you count YL), didn't stop Falco (Since Melee), didn't stop Weegee (Since 64, heavily de-cloned in Melee).
By that logic, Tink/YL should have been cut off by now, and Falco should have been cut off by now, and maybe Luigi.

I'm not speaking in absolutes here. I'm saying it contributed to his cut, not that it was the #1 only reason leading to his cut. All of those characters (aside from Luigi) were always liable to be cut.

The first FE game got re-released on the DS waaaaaay after Melee came out.

But was it re-released waaaay after Brawl came out? My point was that Marth became relevant to the west post-Melee while Roy didn't.

My point is that if Roy's cut was because they didn't want to include a Japanese-exclusive character, then why was Lucas in Brawl at all?
IIRC Brawl's release was after the petitions had been met with silence, and was definitely after Tomato's translation project started.

You don't get my point. Like above, I'm not saying that Japanese only character=100% cut, I'm saying that being Japanese only is a factor which lowered his odds of returning. All these factors added up to result in a cut.

Maybe it's just the people I talk to, but all my casual friends think Roy is cooler than Marth.

It's the people you talk to.

The only reason people even know what the hell a Fire Emblem is, is because of Smash.

Yep. Though who's to say it wouldn't become popular in the west if they launched it without putting them in Smash? And this applies to Roy as much as it does Marth.

Being the star of FE 1 isn't as illustrious a position as one may think; it sold very poorly and is generally regarded as a bad game.
I still don't get how Marth, even now when we have access to all the games, is still regarded as the poster-boy, by fans and IntSys, even though he is the blandest lord in the series by far. He may even be the blandest character in general, which is really something when we're in a series that includes Awakening.

I dunno.

It's funny because Roy's coolness is entirely DA FIRE

I should know I used to be a Roy main.

Reactions: Fat-Ass ♪
I never did like Roy. His game was very fun, but Roy? Eh.

Oh, the Fire Emblem one! Yeah, still stands.

And correct me if wrong, but how many FE games has Marth been in? At least four?

Ok, so here's something all you guys should do:
1. Cancel your smash preorder
2. Make a Best Buy Rewards account
3. Go to Best Buy, get a $15 no contract phone (or pricematch with a nearby Radioshack for even less), recommended models: AT&T Z222 and LG TracFone
4. Pick up a Gamers Club Unlocked card in the gaming section
5. Go to the cashier, hand him the stuff, give them your phone number to confirm the best buy rewards account, watch the $120 price tag on the GCU card drop to 0, and get 2 years of 20% off all new games for $15. Don't even activate the phone. If the cashier contests show him the fine print here.
6. Pre-order Smash at best buy and, provided you get the bundle, pay off those $15 with one game. Even if you don't get the bundle, next time you buy a new game the difference will be paid off.
7. Take advantage of your 2 years of deals and watch Best Buy go out of business from this ridiculous deal.

Ok, so here's something all you guys should do:
1. Cancel your smash preorder
2. Make a Best Buy Rewards account
3. Go to Best Buy, get a $15 no contract phone (or pricematch with a nearby Radioshack for even less), recommended models: AT&T Z222 and LG TracFone
4. Pick up a Gamers Club Unlocked card in the gaming section
5. Go to the cashier, hand him the stuff, give them your phone number to confirm the best buy rewards account, watch the $120 price tag on the GCU card drop to 0, and get 2 years of 20% off all new games for $15. Don't even activate the phone. If the cashier contests show him the fine print here.
6. Pre-order Smash at best buy and, provided you get the bundle, pay off those $15 with one game. Even if you don't get the bundle, next time you buy a new game the difference will be paid off.
7. Take advantage of your 2 years of deals and watch Best Buy go out of business from this ridiculous deal.

Or

1. Buy it at whatever store cause you're fucking lazy
2. Get it

Also we don't have that in Canada so yeah

And then Crayolan was the Best Buy Employee in disguise.

Reactions: Goodbye18000
Or

1. Buy it at whatever store cause you're fucking lazy
2. Get it

Also we don't have that in Canada so yeah

ngbbs51610f76266a8.png

And then Crayolan was the Best Buy Employee in disguise.

6CbxaPc.jpg

I'm an unemployed college student, lol

But was it re-released waaaay after Brawl came out? My point was that Marth became relevant to the west post-Melee while Roy didn't.

Shadow Dragon came out in the west about a year after Brawl, eight months after Brawl in Japan.
For the record, Shadow Dragon is the only FE game staring Marth to release in the west.

And correct me if wrong, but how many FE games has Marth been in? At least four?

He was in the original, the third one, and the two remakes.
So four technically, but only two that are original stories.

That joke is overused, unfunny, not clever in the slightest, and I now hate you for using it.
But god damn that is some bad-ass pixel art.

I was messing around in spectator mode today, and it has a few kinks that need ironing out. There were two matches where the person I bet on lost, yet the game acted like they won anyway and doubled my money. There were also two other matches that it gave me that were repeats, so I already knew who won and who to bet on.

I don't mind getting easy money because of these flaws, but still.

Man, it's been forever since I got linked a youtube poop by an only vaguely related message board.
I was on a good streak, there, why did you ruin it?

Um, I believe he could only Crayolan this thread, Ruin had nothing to do with it.

I should really stop trying to make jokes after midnight

for once in my life i didn't ruin a thread
i must be losing my touch

I should really stop trying to make jokes after midnight

I appreciated the joke.

zlCfzSnhX98zIxyRAq

Pic of the day. Here's the Fiend's Scale in Classic mode. When you raise the intensity in the 3DS version, the effects looked similar to a picture book. However, for the Wii U version, as you raise your intensity it looks like you're falling deeper into the underworld. The very bottom looks ferocious.

zlCfzSnhYGsY2-Eatx

The field in Classic mode has five different backgrounds determined by the intensity level. On low intensity, the background looks peaceful, but on high intensity, the atmosphere gets pretty intimidating.

I also notice that the stage selection in classic doesn't necessarily match up with the characters you're fighting at all, which is interesting.

Imagine Sakurai on a restaurant... Giving menus where you could only choose menus to eat

Why is it called Classic anyway, it's nothing like the old 1P mode.

Well, it's "Classic" in that the mode's gameplay is "fight a bunch of assorted characters (sometimes with specific conditions) until you get to the fight on Final Destination against a boss with HP for the battle gauge instead of damage percentage, with healing provided after every round"

Aw yeah, we got ourselves a good old fashioned Nintendo Direct coming tomorrow.

Probably won't have much to do with Smash outside of maybe the Duck Hunt trailer, but still worth mentioning nonetheless.

TIME FOR A SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
ICE CLIMBERS
are not playable. Instead...
They are a trophy you can obtain in Smash Tour mode. UNLIKE...
LUCAS
Who can be obtained by playing CLASSIC MODE
... as a trophy through random drops

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Dude are you serious with all the spoiler tags? I'm on my Telefono.

D I C K S Q U A D C O N F I R M E D F O R W I I U

(I'm just hoping for an english XCX trailer, honestly. Some more Zelda U too)

I'm mainly hoping for some new Splatoon info.

And hoping against hope for anything regarding Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem.

Reactions: Rellek
And hoping against hope for anything regarding Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem.

Well, they did mention it being in production for their financial report. They even included it among confirmed North American releases.

Isn't Atlus like, usually super tight lipped about their games? Look at how much we know about Persona 5, for instance.

I know about all that. I just want some solid gameplay or something. You can only get so hyped about a bunch of faces and saying "this will cross over soon".

Mario Kart 8 will be compatible with a lot of Amiibos

The webpage for it leaked early - text only. Smash Kart is becoming realer though

Get Mii racing suits
with amiibo!

Dress up your Mii in racing suits based on each amiibo character's look.

In order to use this feature, users will need to download the software update available on 11/13/2014.

amiibo-racing-suits.png

amiibo.png

Mario™
Luigi™
Yoshi™
Peach™
Donkey Kong™
Link™
Kirby™
Captain Falcon
Samus™
Fox McCloud
Figures shown not actual size. Compatibility and functionality of amiibo may vary per game. Visit amiibo.com for specific details on how each amiibo works.

Compatible amiibo
Available Holiday 2014
Learn more

Time for Ice Climbers.

HW DLC will also most likely come up. The Twilight Princess pack approaches.

Can you imagine though

UNLOCK SMASH WEAPON SKINS FOR ALL CHARACTERS WITH LINK, ZELDA AND GANONDORF AMIIBOS

• Darunia gets the Golden Hammer
  • Zelda gets Marth's Falchion
  • Link gets Lucina's Falcion plus the Fire Emblem
  • Ganondorf gets dual huge Monados
  • Zant gets Dark Pit's Silver Bow in it's blade form
  • Agitha gets Peach's Umbrella
A man can dream but holy that'd be awesome

That's probably the best idea that's ever come out of your mouth Tanner. Gratz.

Reactions: Goodbye18000