• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

I think we all know which Earthbound character deserves to be playable.
136691-nessdad3.jpg

No man we need another Mother 3 rep:

Frog.png

Guys, guys
what are we doing
why must we fight, we are not enemies
the fact that we all want/think we should get another Mother/EarthBound character is enough
how about we hug it out

NINTEN DOES WHAT THE FIGHTERS DON'T

But...
If Ninten was in the game...
Wouldn't he be a fighter too?
So how would he do what he doesn't?
He must not do it, but he has to do it, but he must not do it, but he has to do it, but he must not do it, but he has to do it, but he must not do it, but he has to do it, but he must not do it, but he has to do it,but he must not do it, but he has to do i- ERROR ERROR ERROR EEEEEEeeeeerrrrroooooorrrrrr

Ninten isn't a fighter

he's a winner

------REBOOT--------
Loading badplay.exe...
Loaded!
Loading charactersuperiority.wav...
Loaded!
Loading assholematrix...
Loaded!
Preparing witty comment...
Preparing...
Preparing...
Witty comment failed to prepare!
-------------------

If Ninten is a winner, how come he didn't win his way into the roster?
BURN!

Is it because Gamestop is dying out to digital downloads?

It's probably just cause they're really feeling it.

So guys, my friends are organizing a Smash Wii U launch tourney at my school and asked me to assist. I'm in charge of anything ruleset-related, and already wrote up the rules, but I could use some advice on the legality of certain stages. Just note, I'm purposely being a little liberal in what's legal and what's not.

1. I think Pilotwings should be a starter but I've seen some people say counterpick. Has there been any sort of consensus on this?

2. What do you guys think of Duck Hunt? I haven't seen any hazards yet and I'm actually considering it as a starter.

3. Is Castle Siege okay as a counterpick? I'm pretty iffy on that phase 2, and even phase 3 seems a bit campy. I do have things like Wuhu Island/Mario Circuit (8)/Delfino Plaza as counterpicks, but I dunno. Castle Siege has always felt like it sticks in its phases for pretty long IMO, especially compared to moving stages.

It's best to play on the stages before hand with a group of folks before bringing the hammer down, imo.

My school is actually doing a tourney, too. But it's Melee, at the same time the folks organizing it aren't doing a good job. I wanna step in but I wanna see if they can do it.

Pilotwings should be indeed a counterpick, since it's the second-coming of Halberd.

I think it's too early to call for the Duck Hunt stage, so I'm not sure myself.

Phase 3 of Castle Siege being campy? Don't you mean phase 2?

1. I think Pilotwings should be a starter but I've seen some people say counterpick. Has there been any sort of consensus on this?

Once again, there's no backroom right now, so asking for a banlist consensus is a bit... difficult.
However, I would say that for a release day tourney, stick with CP for safety.

2. What do you guys think of Duck Hunt? I haven't seen any hazards yet and I'm actually considering it as a starter.

Maayyyyyyybe, not too sure about that, depends on how much stake you put into the random platform appearances and the concealing grass. Up to you.

3. Is Castle Siege okay as a counterpick? I'm pretty iffy on that phase 2, and even phase 3 seems a bit campy. I do have things like Wuhu Island/Mario Circuit (8)/Delfino Plaza as counterpicks, but I dunno. Castle Siege has always felt like it sticks in its phases for pretty long IMO, especially compared to moving stages.

I would say keep Castle Siege out, for now. It was a banned stage in Brawl, and from what we know it hasn't changed in any meaningful way. Possibly it could be legal at some point (Probably in Washington), but stick to the safe option for a realese-window thing.

It's best to play on the stages before hand with a group of folks before bringing the hammer down, imo.

My school is actually doing a tourney, too. But it's Melee, at the same time the folks organizing it aren't doing a good job. I wanna step in but I wanna see if they can do it.

Tourney's on the 22nd, I don't have time for that. I mean, I will play everything I can in the 1 day I have, but I need to have a list ready well in advance (and I already do).

Pilotwings should be indeed a counterpick, since it's the second-coming of Halberd.

Uhh...in what way? You never leave the planes and there are no hazards. The only stage interaction is moving from yellow plane to red plane, which is smooth and easy from what I've seen.

Phase 3 of Castle Siege being campy? Don't you mean phase 2?

I've been able to camp my friends there, but maybe they just suck. :P

Uhh...in what way? You never leave the planes and there are no hazards. The only stage interaction is moving from yellow plane to red plane, which is smooth and easy from what I've seen.

False; the Plane lets out onto the island eventually, and even goes onto a ski gate and fencing platform, unless I'm mistaken about the stage.
No hazards, though, so it's already better than Halberd was.

False; the Plane lets out onto the island eventually, and even goes onto a ski gate and fencing platform, unless I'm mistaken about the stage.
No hazards, though, so it's already better than Halberd was.

All the island parts are part of Wuhu Island, not Pilotwings. Pilotwings is just red plane->yellow plane->loop.

Reactions: musica
Last edited:
So guys, my friends are organizing a Smash Wii U launch tourney at my school and asked me to assist. I'm in charge of anything ruleset-related, and already wrote up the rules, but I could use some advice on the legality of certain stages. Just note, I'm purposely being a little liberal in what's legal and what's not.

1. Counterpick is the safe choice imo, but I could see it being starter eventually.

2. I'm iffy on it but I would let it be a counterpick just for the sake of experimentation.

3. Castle Siege is a great stage, don't ban it.

IMO the stage banlist for day one should be:

Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination/Omega
Smashville
Town and City
(Teams) Big Battlefield
(Teams) Kongo Jungle 64

Counterpick:
Mario Circuit
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Lylat Cruise (could also be a starter?)
Pokemon Stadium 2
Castle Siege
Duck Hunt (It will probably be starter eventually but I'm iffy on the platforms.
Wuhu Island
Norfair

Some of those stages are a little iffy but for the purposes of a launch tournament it's better to include stages than exclude them. Both because a lot of people won't know how to abuse them yet and because someone's got to test the questionable stages to find out if they're okay to play on.

so this week has been weird for me

on the one hand, sonic and mega man amiibos yay

on the other, I just played sonic boom rise of lyric and want to kill myself

Lmao that looks terribad. I was laughing from the very first cutscene, it just looks SO AWKWARD. Will be a great addition to the list of hilariously bad sonic games.

1. Counterpick is the safe choice imo, but I could see it being starter eventually.

2. I'm iffy on it but I would let it be a counterpick just for the sake of experimentation.

3. Castle Siege is a great stage, don't ban it.

IMO the stage banlist for day one should be:

Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination/Omega
Smashville
Town and City
(Teams) Big Battlefield
(Teams) Kongo Jungle 64

Counterpick:
Mario Circuit
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Lylat Cruise (could also be a starter?)
Pokemon Stadium 2
Castle Siege
Duck Hunt (It will probably be starter eventually but I'm iffy on the platforms.
Wuhu Island
Norfair

Some of those stages are a little iffy but for the purposes of a launch tournament it's better to include stages than exclude them. Both because a lot of people won't know how to abuse them yet and because someone's got to test the questionable stages to find out if they're okay to play on.

If you're curious, here's what I have right now:

Starter:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Town and City
-Lylat Cruise
-1 Omega Stage (all omega stages are counted as one--not changing this)

Counterpick:
-Mario Circuit
-Delfino Plaza
-Halberd
-Skyloft
-Wuhu Island
-Pilotwings
-Congo Jungle

It's in no way final, and was made before the Duck Hunt stage was even revealed. I'm planning on removing Congo Jungle and obviously adding Duck Hunt somewhere. Norfair is banned because lava is bullshit and Pokemon Stadium 2 is banned because the stage transformations are just annoying.

Pokemon Stadium 2 is banned because the stage transformations are just annoying.

Whoa, you maybe wanna stay out of Washington state for a while.
I hear they shank TOs on the street for saying that kinda thing.

Whoa, you maybe wanna stay out of Washington state for a while.
I hear they shank TOs on the street for saying that kinda thing.

Oh shit, I'm in Washington!...DC that is. But seriously, I don't think I'll get much controversy over what I ban as this is a mostly casual tournament. Or at least I'm guessing most of the attendees will be casuals, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Oh haaayyy! Someone who lives relatively close :D

Well, I go to college in DC. I live in New Jersey.

Though I guess I'm still in DC more often than not.

I would say keep Castle Siege out, for now. It was a banned stage in Brawl, and from what we know it hasn't changed in any meaningful way. Possibly it could be legal at some point (Probably in Washington), but stick to the safe option for a realese-window thing.
Okay we need to back up here, because who the fuck banned castle siege in brawl?

zlCfzSpNQMcDLDH4sK

"Pic of the day. Here's another new stage!! The Mario Circuit stage is modeled after Mario Kart 8, so the course flips upside down."

zlCfzSpNQTcFVuS6v7

"On the upside-down course, Shy Guys jump their karts upside-down too!! It's amazing how the course twists on this stage. Of course, the gravity for the fighters will always go downward."

Only sorta related to this, i'm still kinda ehh on no Electrodrome for the music. You'd think it would be a perfect fit for Smash Bros, but no. ;_;

I'm kind of hoping its at least unlockable. It strikes me as odd that they wouldn't use the Electrodrome music since they have been using it as background music for a few videos now.

Okay we need to back up here, because who the fuck banned castle siege in brawl?

It's one of those stages who's legality varies wildly from region to region.
Some places it's starter, some it's counter-pick, some it's banned.
By the official BBR stage list, it's starter, but surprisingly few people actually follow the backroom ruleset for Brawl.

So happy this song is in.

Style Savvy Trendsetters is an underrated game on the 3DS. My sis bought it and I honestly enjoyed my time with it. It's a really good retail simulator and you can make yourself into a cute girl and go on girlfriend dates and shop around and seriously it sounds bad but it's lots of fun

Also this on Wuhu Island and will be the only song I allow on this stage

Woah.

I'm not super into Project M cause reasons but these changes are insane.

WHO WAS LIKE "LET'S MAKE GANONDORF FUCKING FLY"

Also nice Charizard armor from the Lucario movie

I think someone in the PMBR loves Melee/P:M Ganondorf more than I do, cause they just keep giving him more and more love. Thank you, whoever you are.

Also, I knew that the date had to be close when they started that count backwards... but TWO DAYS!?! HYYYYYYYYPE!!!

Woah.

I'm not super into Project M cause reasons but these changes are insane.

WHO WAS LIKE "LET'S MAKE GANONDORF FUCKING FLY"

Also nice Charizard armor from the Lucario movie

Holy shit, HD Metal Cavern looks bad-ass.
Oh, also Event Mode and All-Star and balance blah blah, HD is pretty.

EDIT:
Gannon-specific notes from someone who had access to a dev build for 3.5:
- During Warlock Punch, pressing 'b' while in the wind-up animation will cause Gannon to backhand projectiles (Dead-Man's Volley).
- Gannon can no longer Warlock Punch mid-air.
- Instead, neutral-b in the air will begin Gannon's float move.
- You can not float-cancel aerials from this, and you can only move slightly (Though momentum is carried over).
- Attempting any aerial attack will end the float move prematurely.
- Pressing 'b' out of the Float will instantly begin a mid-air Dead Man's Volley.

This is coming from some rando from Smashboards, so take with the appropriate amount of salt, but it seems plausible.

Last edited:
So happy this song is in.

Style Savvy Trendsetters is an underrated game on the 3DS. My sis bought it and I honestly enjoyed my time with it. It's a really good retail simulator and you can make yourself into a cute girl and go on girlfriend dates and shop around and seriously it sounds bad but it's lots of fun

Also this on Wuhu Island and will be the only song I allow on this stage

It's a really good retail simulator and you can make yourself into a cute girl and go on girlfriend dates and shop around and seriously it sounds bad but it's lots of fun

you can make yourself into a cute girl

This appeals to my aesthetic.

All the gameplay changes from Brawl turn me off of PM, but those rebooted Smash 64 stages would be enough for me to get it on their own.

So PM-Ganondorf's NSpec is now Deadman's Volley (minus projectile cause they can't give him one, he reflects projectiles with a pimp slap) and his forward smash is now Warlock Punch. He also uses darkness for dodges and rolls

They're really making him better. That's cool. I do still like playing the Dorf in Smash 4 though.

Well it's a start but maybe if they also gave him a few things a mod by the name of Triforce Ganondorf has for attacks. Like say an Up Special where he does the ground punch from OoT or the ability to have dark energy swirl around him for an Nair attack for examples.

So PM-Ganondorf's NSpec is now Deadman's Volley (minus projectile cause they can't give him one, he reflects projectiles with a pimp slap) and his forward smash is now Warlock Punch. He also uses darkness for dodges and rolls

They're really making him better. That's cool. I do still like playing the Dorf in Smash 4 though.

The Ganon we deserve. Well, if deadman's volley had a projectile it would be anyway. This ganon should be in Smash 4.