• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

The best part of this is
if the Inklings get confirmed anyway in spite of the Mii costumes, you'd need whatever new Smash Bros. Inkling Amiibo they release
since these look to be obvious unlocks from the Splatoon Amiibo

And yes, those facial expressions are already regular Mii faces, and not part of the Splatoon costumes

The best part of this is
if the Inklings get confirmed anyway in spite of the Mii costumes, you'd need whatever new Smash Bros. Inkling Amiibo they release
since these look to be obvious unlocks from the Splatoon Amiibo

And yes, those facial expressions are already regular Mii faces, and not part of the Splatoon costumes

The costumes are (as of now) a Gamestop exclusive pre-order bonus for Splatoon.

Ill do what i usually do in one of these...

BRAWL SUCKS, MELEE AND SM4SH ARE THE BEST AND SMASH64 IS FINE

Lol jk I actually love them all <3

Last edited:
I actually personally liked Brawl, thank you very much. I didn't really care about the tripping, I was having fun.

wow super controversial opinions there friend
I actually do like them all, just Melee and sm4sh a lot more

I actually personally liked Brawl, thank you very much. I didn't really care about the tripping, I was having fun.
Just kidding! i actually do enjoy Brawl

You know what's irked me about Smash's palettes? I don't know if it's because I'm spoiled because of Skullgirls, but for Smash not one palette swap changes any of the women's' skin tones. Not counting Miis of course. And almost all the men's as well (Dark Pit, Little Mac, and Ganondorf are the only ones with notable differences).

I don't know, like a big reason I'm rooting for Shantae in Smash is so I can finally play a girl of color that isn't a Mii.

Reactions: kantoskies
You know who has objectively the worst palettes
Palutena
her hair doesn't even change color

you know who really has the worst palettes? Chrom. Why? He IS a palette. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You know who has objectively the worst palettes
Palutena
her hair doesn't even change color
I noticed that Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer, and ZSS also don't change their hair colors at all, though Wii Fit Trainer has the male counterpart which balances. But they're fine because their hair isn't nearly as large as Palutena's. Seriously, on the 3DS the last two palettes are practically indistinguishable from one another unless you check by swapping colors back and forth.

You know who has a lot of indistinguishable color palettes? Dark Pit and Ganondorf.

Captain Falcon still reings supreme as the king of palettes.

anyone here plays the 3DS version? I need sparring partners.

Sakurai doesn't like making palettes beyond a character changing clothing it seems.
Hell, he barely wanted to change Lucario's fur or Mewtwo's skin, he DIDN'T change Pikachu's or Jigglypuff's.

Yeah, he's kinda weird that way.

Like if your going to make palette swaps, why not go all the way? Change the hair, skin, eye color, go crazy. Smash fans can take color variation, heck, we'd probably love it more than anything. I think Kirby's been one of my favorite characters just for their (Does Kirby even have a gender?) multiple palettes.

It feels less like keeping true to the characters and more lazily holding oneself back.

They went fuck-crazy with Robin's colors. There's the RED AS HELL one, the GREEN AS HELL one, and my favorite the PINK AS FUCK one.

Reactions: Covenant
kirby's always been referred to as a boy
Well yeah in America, but sources of Japanese sites point to them keeping it ambiguous.

Probably the whole "Kirby is fuckin' pissed" boxcover archetype that's behind it.

They went fuck-crazy with Robin's colors. There's the RED AS HELL one, the GREEN AS HELL one, and my favorite the PINK AS FUCK one.
I gotta admit I find Robin absolutely one of the better palette options, with gender, hair, and outfit variety. But again, just one different skin tone swap would be nice.

Well yeah in America, but sources of Japanese sites point to them keeping it ambiguous.
sources as in...? official websites? databooks? Game text?

Ah, here's a part from the Kirby Wiki:

Kirby's age[7] and gender[8] are never directly stated by Japanese sources, although this rule was initially broken when he was introduced to western audiences as a "spry little boy" in the English manual for Kirby's Dream Land. In most translations, Kirby is consistently referenced with masculine pronouns by default in subsequent games and in the anime. Assuming that Kirby is heteroromantic, this would be more in line with the hint of romance between Kirby and Ribbon in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards where Ribbon gives Kirby a kiss on the cheek in the good ending, making both of them blush in embarrassment. ChuChu's crush on Kirby in the non-canon manga also might imply that Kirby is a boy. In the anime, where he more or less acts like a little child, Kirby's peers Tiff and Tuff sometimes call him a "baby" (in the Japanese dub, Meta Knight implies he's a baby when he tells Tiff that he's born 200 years too early). Along with his high-pitched voice and "poyo language", it is implied that Kirby is at least young

You'll have to forgive me for taking the wiki with a grain of salt, but I did check out those sources and you do seem to be right on the japanese ambiguity, though it does seem to take a more masculine edge. That edge kinda makes me lean more towards male, personally, given Japan's more rigid gender binary.
Granted, Kirby's an alien
and also a pink spherical black hole with feet, so a gender neutral or genderless interpretation is valid enough to be respectable.
Kirby's english self is male, though. And that's the language I speak, so I'll be sticking to that, unless an explicit official statement comes out.

Fair enough. But I'll probably be referring to Kirby as they/them from now on just because. It's what I generally do with gender ambiguous characters (Like Mewtwo, the other pokemon, R.O.B., etc.)

Hey now, we shouldn't be intermixing facts and assumptions now.

There's no reason to spread around rumors.

We all know Kirby is a little shit, I mean come on guys.

Pikachu in smash is actually indeed a male one
He has a pointed tail end, and only male Pikachus have those. Female ones have soft, heart-ish shaped tails

Sakurai doesn't like making palettes beyond a character changing clothing it seems.
Hell, he barely wanted to change Lucario's fur or Mewtwo's skin, he DIDN'T change Pikachu's or Jigglypuff's.
False! Pikachu's fur does actually change colour. Mind you all of them can be described as "mostly yellow"

Pikachu in smash is actually indeed a male one
I do think the Pikachu in Smash is male. Though it might be because gender difference in the Pokemon games only got introduced in generation IV, and the original Smash and melee were made and brawl was in development at that time. So the design might have just stuck. But Charizard, Greninja, Lucario don't have any real indication, so I assume it's either or and call them they/them. Mewtwo is biologically defined as genderless in the games, so yeah. And I'll probably call Jigglypuff a she due to being implied to be female.

Well, Charizard, Greninja, and Lucario all strike me as masculine, and I've always just assumed they were male.
Jigglypuff is definitely female, considering the girly color-swaps with flowers and sunhats.

Also, on the topic of Kirby's gender, doesn't he have an implied crush on a female fairy in both the JP and US versions of The Crystal Shards?

Are you implying that Kirvy is a heterosexual?
Because that is funny to me.

Are you implying that Kirvy is a heterosexual?
Because that is funny to me.
I knew someone was going to say this, but I doubt Nintendo would dare to make a character that isn't heterosexual.

Kirby's also still a baby/child
you're not gonna ask a baby/child these questions

"Kirby, Honey, do you get excited when you look at girls, or when you look at boys?"

I don't understand people's obsession with video game character sexuality......especially when it has nothing to do with the actual character.

Reactions: Rellek