• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

I was expecting more new characters but im really pleased with how ZSS has been upgraded, hopefully she will get a new Final smash, Smash finally has two seperate Metroid Characters

screen-10.jpg

MOTHER FUCKING SHARKS CONFIRMED

THROUGH BLACK MAGIC THEY HAVE MADE SAMUS HOTTER
screen-8.jpg

I'm liking how ZSS looks in this game. They didn't really go with the Other M look which is good. She's still got heels, but they're different enough, and a whole lot cooler, that they don't bother me. Helps that they also double as jet boosters.

EDIT: Hold up. Maybe someone should check that Pseudo-Palutena trophy for that Starman that was in the leak...
Haven't looked at it in depth yet but I swear I saw it the first time it came up. Currently going back through it in 1080p to double check.

I'm liking how ZSS looks in this game. They didn't really go with the Other M look which is good. She's still got heels, but they're different enough, and a whole lot cooler, that they don't bother me. Helps that they also double as jet boosters.
I just hate the mole. I don't want to think of Marilyn Monroe every time I see samus's face. I also don't like that come hither look all over her eyes.

The new Final Smash's make me EXTREMELY happy as well. All ones I wanted.

I just hate the mole.

WOAH BUDDY
THE MOLE IS THE BEST
MOLE PEOPLE ARE THE BEST

Yeah, he DID purposefully not show Ridley.

Won't stroke the flames though, cause we have enough to talk about FROM the trailer.

So Olimar got retooled and I've got mixed feelings on them.
  1. New air recovery
    • This looks really good and I'll have to see how it compared to his tether recover in actual gameplay.
    • One problem with Olimar's current recovery is that it can be pretty random. It's great that it can both attack and grab a ledge so you can dissuade ledge guarding with the right timing. However, if you get knocked hard or have pikmin already running around the field you lose that much length to your grab which can mean coming up short and falling to your death.
    • Balancing out the new recovery with the burden of having its range limited by how many pikmin you have out sounds like a similar condition to his current one, but it also give him greater horizontal movement which is a huge plus.
  2. Fixed pikmin rotation
    • This decision I don't really like, it feels like they are trading in Faust's Item summon from Guilty Gear for Teddie's in P4A.
    • Part of what makes Olimar an a strong fighter is his unpredictability, especially in the air. His down aerial can either be really devastating with a purple or yellow pikmin, or really weak with a white or blue pikmin. Likewise his ground grabs have differing lengths depending on who is standing in the front of the line. Learning to keep track of which pikmin is next in line, and shifting more desirable pikmin to the front of the line through attacks and specials is part of the Olimar learning curve but the payoffs are huge.
    • I can understand why they would do this though. It will alleviate situation where you are toting multiple copies of pikmin which may or may not be advantageous. It also means that opponents won't have to suffer for not being able to keep track of which pikmin is next in line because admittedly, once Olimar starts running around his pikmin kind of blur together. We'll see how it actually plays when the game is released.
  3. Reduce Pikmin count
    • Reducing Olimar's pikmin count from six to three is probably for the best.
    • All I can foresee from this is a change in how people utilize Olimar's side special when conserving pikmin for his more damaging smash attacks.
Either way I can't wait to play this guy. Now if they can just announce Mr. Game & Watch, 4/5 of my mains will be in the game.

Can someone link me to the Nintendo Direct? I tried going on the site but nothing is happening...

So this brings us up to 27 characters.
Not counting unlocks the roster is already bigger than Brawl's starting roster, and we still have at least 2-5 months to go.

Oh, also, I was probably the only one, but I got hype with the fake "we've removed ZSS from the game". Can't stand that version of her. Hated playing Samus in Brawl because of them forcing me to switch to her if I did the thing.
well you know
not like they aren't separated now

Ogh yes, that reminds me...
King Dedede only throws Gordos out now.
Hmmm...
Now what could that possibly mean?
:)
haHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
*GUITAR SOLO*

well you know
not like they aren't separated now
That they are the same person offends me (it doesn't matter that she has a seperate character slot). It's not her playstyle, it's her. Even ignoring how much I hate them parading my Samus around in that skin tight fanservice plugsuit, why would she ever fight without her badass bird DNA mech suit thing? Missles, Plasma beam, Super Bombs, Screw Attack, who would give that up willingly in a fight?

Oh, also, I was probably the only one, but I got hype with the fake "we've removed ZSS from the game". Can't stand that version of her. Hated playing Samus in Brawl because of them forcing me to switch to her if I did the thing.
I'll admit I got excited. Zero Suit never appealed to me from a visual design standpoint and to make it worse, they nerfed Samus so badly in Brawl that you basically just chose to start the round as ZS because she was a better character. Now if they could just make one of Samus' alternate costumes the fusion suit or Varia suit from Prime we can put all this Other M nonsense behind us.

It's also worth noting that charizard and ridley have incredibly similar power sets.
Also ZSS needs a justin bailey costume, that's the only condition in which I would play as her.
So Olimar got retooled and I've got mixed feelings on them.
Olimar's fate kind of depends on whether or not you can still get a full team of fat pikmin.

I still hold to the idea that Other M Ridley is a boss or something, while classic Ridley is playable.
But you never know, as they said, same place as before.

I'm just hyped as fuck Bandanna Dee might have a chance without that toss now.

Though, I also can't help but wonder...
Those four trophies we got, were they hints?
Fire Emblem, Metroid, Zelda, and Kid icarus.
Hmmmm...

Now if they could just make one of Samus' alternate costumes the fusion suit or Varia suit from Prime we can put all this Other M nonsense behind us.
Also ZSS needs a justin bailey costume, that's the only condition in which I would play as her.
Both of those would be pretty cool, actually.

That they are the same person offends me (it doesn't matter that she has a seperate character slot). It's not her playstyle, it's her. Even ignoring how much I hate them parading my Samus around in that skin tight fanservice plugsuit, why would she ever fight without her badass bird DNA mech suit thing? Missles, Plasma beam, Super Bombs, Screw Attack, who would give that up willingly in a fight?

I will say that the true samus will always be her in the suit, I love seeing samus outside of the suit. I mean, it's what surprised everyone when they played the first metroid years ago. It's a staple in nintendo history.

Although I am a little disappointed that the Wii U version will come out in the Winter, nothing will deter my hype for 3DS in the Summer!

That just means the Wii U version will have far more cool shit!

And who knows, maybe Wii U will have more characters which 3DS will get for free?
...You never know!
Either way, hype for 3DS Smash, gonna get that and it'll keep me docile until the Wii U version

That just means the Wii U version will have far more cool shit!

And who knows, maybe Wii U will have more characters which 3DS will get for free?
...You never know!
Either way, hype for 3DS Smash, gonna get that and it'll keep me docile until the Wii U version
Thanks for the positivity! :)

It's also worth noting that charizard and ridley have incredibly similar power sets.

Olimar's fate kind of depends on whether or not you can still get a full team of fat pikmin.
With the new changes there won't be any repeats on your pikmin team. And while Purple pikmin are great for racking in damage, you should try edge guarding with a yellow pikmin powered down aerial. It's beautiful to see.

I will say that the true samus will always be her in the suit, I love seeing samus outside of the suit. I mean, it's what surprised everyone when they played the first metroid years ago. It's a staple in nintendo history.
That is true. But, I mean, the surprise initially was epic cause the player just assumed it was a boy they were playing, but then you find out it was a girl the whole time. In all the gameplay, it doesn't matter what gender Samus is, you can't even tell unless you beat the game that she's a girl (Except a couple games). Even in in the first two Smash games, her gender was irrelevant. Now it's just like... bleh. Well, I did like playing her in Zero Mission, that was really cool. But the times where it's just "oh hay, ZSS ya'll, feast yer eyes!" just bugs me to no end.

Guess I should stock up on different Wii U games until the Wii U version comes out.
again, doesn't matter, 3DS Version is fanfuckingtastic

Back