• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Ya'll are weak and won't survive the winter.
But if you really want to change the subject we can always go back to yelling When's ________? at each other.
When's Marvel?

More seriously, there's always fighting on Metroid stuff, fun stuff. I'm just surprised no one's going "How does Mario pull the Fluud device out of no where?" or "Where does Toad come from?" or "How the crap does Samus turn into the Maru Maru?" Especially that last one.

FUCK yes lets do it.

Back on topic, I kind of figured that the shoes are the LAST thing I looked at when looking at Samus, so its whatevs for me and it really should be for everyone else. Honestly, if that's the first thing you look at, you're just BEGGING for an argument.

The heels aren't the FIRST thing that I notice, but they're just an issue.
You can take a look at the breasts and the face and the figure and have an issue with the character design, but at the same time there are people who have large breasts and naturally pretty faces, those are aspects that the character cannot control or at most they have limited control over, and at the end of the day they don't really affect how well they can realistically do things like run and jump and hunt bounties.
Meanwhile, things like heels do.

When's Marvel?

More seriously, there's always fighting on Metroid stuff, fun stuff. I'm just surprised no one's going "How does Mario pull the Fluud device out of no where?" or "Where does Toad come from?" or "How the crap does Samus turn into the Maru Maru?" Especially that last one.

The Mario ones take place in the Mario universe, you know, a place with plenty of nonsensical allocations and usage of hammerspace.
And Samus has Chozo DNA, same reason she can jump like ten feet into the air.

we really debating the physics of a science-fiction series that never really strove for realism in the first place
we really debating that series and its representation in a series that has never been known for its unerring accuracy in depicting the characters that are playable
we really debating a fucking piece of fiction video game about a magic alien space bounty hunter that barely does any bounty hunting and here we are debating how the magic alien space bounty hunter raised by magic alien space birds can't possibly wear a certain kind of footwear in her magic alien space not-bounty hunting

we really debating the physics of a science-fiction series that never really strove for realism in the first place
we really debating that series and its representation in a series that has never been known for its unerring accuracy in depicting the characters that are playable
we really debating a fucking piece of fiction video game about a magic alien space bounty hunter that barely does any bounty hunting and here we are debating how the magic alien space bounty hunter raised by magic alien space birds can't possibly wear a certain kind of footwear in her magic alien space not-bounty hunting

But you're completely missing the point of the complaint in the first place. The point is that she isn't the type of person who would wear high heels and fight in them.

we dunno jack shit about samus's fucking taste in footwear or her combat profiency while wearing said footwear of choice. Rarely, if ever, have we gotten a look at samus's life outside the job. We don't how she kicks back and spends her free time. she could spend her days off punching orphans and drowning her sorrows for all we know.
more so, Smash always has its own interpretation of the characters that they represent.
You remember Zero Suit's two lines in brawl? Both were sassy "come and get me"s that no one would expect normal samus to say. heck, we've seen Smash 4 Samus make a pretty opaque tease towards little mac's height in his reveal trailer. Someone like Samus would never mock someone for their short-(heh)-comings like that!
Heck, the interpretations aren't even consistent across games (compare oblivious to the world peach from brawl to the lusty peach we've been getting in screenshots).
maybe smash 4 samus thinks she looks fucking rad in rocket heels and wanted to kick ass in them, maybe she's aware that she's in a more cartoony world than her own and decided "hey I can get away with sticking stiletto rockets to my feet and even get stronger for it!" We don't fucking know. And you can't say that you do unless you've got a gateway into the minds of the developers (and if you do, when's Takamaru)

What i'm trying to get at here is
Smash Samus isn't Metroid Samus

Yeah, why not?
It's fun.

I go to BioWare for one fucking day and I come back to this again

have some Sonic
mariosonicmegaman.jpg

CAN WE STOP TALKING ABOUT THE FUCKING HEELS?!
GOD DAMN!
Shit's ridiculous!
Let's talk about fun things, like Kirby!
SINCE HIS GAME COMES OUT THIS WEEK

Kirby got a 6/10 on IGN because it wasn't the reviewers type of game.

Can we talk about how IGN just doesn't get how you should give games to reviewers who actually LIKE the series? It's like someone giving me Cack a Dooty: Spoopy Ghosts to review. I would give it a 5/10 for similar reasons of "Fans might like it, but it's not my type of game".

Thankfully it has a 80 on Metacritic because other reviewers actually like "kiddie" games.

I think the problem is that people are saying "it doesn't fit her personality" despite her not being given any major character traits and what not in Other M, previously we all thought of Samus as some battle hardened vet who only lived to complete her mission,, however in Other M we were shown more of the soft side of Samus, we saw her fear, her anger, her sadness, those represent her feminine qualities. In smash 4 she still as as Stoic as ever (from what I see), however, because smash is a fighting game and Dialogue isnt major in it, in order to represent Samus' femininity Sakurai chose to giver her heels, but at the same time not majorly contrasting from her combat prowess (hense why they are rocket heels). At the end of Other M we saw that she was not just a Kickass bounty hunter, but also a woman and it would be unfair to ignore those parts of Samus in smash

I agree man so hard
good thing we stopped talking about footwear aha
The thing is that when I take a while to write a well written post you guys always seem to change the topic. . .Its like you guys don't even care anymore :'^(
also didnt IGN also donwrate Pokemon X/Y because it felt too much like a pokemon game?
I really don't think IGN should be a reliable source of reviews nowadays, i bet they don't want Pichu in Smash 4

also didnt IGN also donwrate Pokemon X/Y because it felt too much like a pokemon game?

Oh right, yeah.

IGN is like most people on the internet, circlejerking Nintendo hate because it's "cool"
I honestly don't trust internet reviews anymore. They only steer people away from games because a 6/10 is a fail according to the American Grading System but in reality a 6/10 game is alright and still enjoyable.

Though really when IGN gave Sonic 06 a 5/10 and Kirby's just apparently one point better something is fucking wrong with either the reviewers or the way they don't get paid off by Nintendo.

I think the problem is that people are saying "it doesn't fit her personality" despite her not being given any major character traits and what not in Other M, previously we all thought of Samus as some battle hardened vet who only lived to complete her mission,, however in Other M we were shown more of the soft side of Samus, we saw her fear, her anger, her sadness, those represent her feminine qualities. In smash 4 she still as as Stoic as ever (from what I see), however, because smash is a fighting game and Dialogue isnt major in it, in order to represent Samus' femininity Sakurai chose to giver her heels, but at the same time not majorly contrasting from her combat prowess (hense why they are rocket heels). At the end of Other M we saw that she was not just a Kickass bounty hunter, but also a woman and it would be unfair to ignore those parts of Samus in smash

I'm gonna go ahead.
And bring back up that link I posted a while ago.
And not continue the argument any further.
Since ya'll apparently can't have differing viewpoints on things.
But seriously go read it.

*AHEM* so how does everyone fell about that there Yoshi remaining mostly unchanged, other than his forward dash animation be different but still being exactly the same functionally.
Personally I'll be floored if he remains mostly unchanged from brawl 'cus he was my jam.

*AHEM* so how does everyone fell about that there Yoshi remaining mostly unchanged, other than his forward dash animation be different but still being exactly the same functionally.
Personally I'll be floored if he remains mostly unchanged from brawl 'cus he was my jam.
his whole stance was changed though

Does his upB have less range now?
Or am I just crazy?
It looks like it has less range than it did in Brawl, in addition to that rainbow trail.

Does his upB have less range now?
Or am I just crazy?
It looks like it has less range than it did in Brawl, in addition to that rainbow trail.
It looks it in the Direct, but whether or not if that is actually is max range or some one not aiming it to go max range is yet to be made clear. But if it is his max range I'd be fine with that cus his ledge hogging abilities with his egg throw where kinda silly. (From the ledge he can throw an egg half way across Final Destination and almost instantly grab back on the ledge again, so having it so the egg doesn't go as far fixes one of these things)

it has a very noticeable startup time and only seems to block oncoming projectiles
something like Zelda's fire will probably be able to bypass it

Can we talk about how IGN just doesn't get how you should give games to reviewers who actually LIKE the series? It's like someone giving me Cack a Dooty: Spoopy Ghosts to review. I would give it a 5/10 for similar reasons of "Fans might like it, but it's not my type of game".
Not to say that the ign review for triple deluxe isn't stupid as hell, but always giving reviews to people who already love the game is the exact same evil focused in the opposite direction. It's the reason like half of big releases seem to get a 90 or higher.
But seriously, kirby is too easy? That's like complaining that the newest call of duty game is cover based.

Not to say that the ign review for triple deluxe isn't stupid as hell, but always giving reviews to people who already love the game is the exact same evil focused in the opposite direction. It's the reason like half of big releases seem to get a 90 or higher.
But seriously, kirby is too easy? That's like complaining that the newest call of duty game is cover based.
At this point, I've learned to never listen to Reviewers unless it's unanimous praise or hatred.
Or if it's Angry Joe.
That dude knows what's up.

zlCfzR3XW_g89gKh9a

Pic of the day. Tether recovery? Yes, you can! And from even longer range than before. Multiple fighters can latch on--who actually grabs hold is determined by the same rules as the standard ledge grab.

Now wait a minute, I thought that the Tether Recovering was dropped. Why else would ZSS get a new recovery? Sakurai, you confuse me sometimes.

perhaps he's made so that tethering isn't the only form of recovery that they have
like olimar was boned with no piks he couldn't recover at all

At this point, I've learned to never listen to Reviewers unless it's unanimous praise or hatred.
Or if it's Angry Joe.

Destructoid and rpgfan have good reviews too

And Jim sterling

Or if it's Angry Joe.
Except when he skips part of the tutorial and then complains that the tutorial sucks.

NEVER FORGET.

Back