• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Steven Universe Thread! [SPOILERS]

Why the heck am I reading this in this thread.

I think people don't even know what actually written in "Horrible Gay propaganda law".
Its not about silencing errione in LGBT community its about protecting children UNTIL they can choose for themselves.
Its actually fine to be gay, talk about it and defend your (and your community) rights.

Why am I talking about this anyway...

I always thought that Gems are asexual and afaik reproducing asexually.
So its hard to say if they can be straight or gay.

I think it's pretty clear that Gems are more "made" than "born"
less "reproduction" and more "mashing shit together and infusing it with magic bullshit until it's alive"
Steven is just a special exception (and even then, Rose had to physically sacrifice herself for Steven to be born)

they are aliens, so it makes more sense to me if they had a nonstandard kind of pairing/relationship going on for them.
They actually do (have nonstandart pairing). They fusing in act of "perfect harmony" with each other. I think this is enough due to the fact that they don't need to create couples to reproduce (because they don't).
I just thought about fusing as an act of sex and felt awkward.

series of ninja edits

Why the heck am I reading this in this thread.

I think people don't even know what actually written in "Horrible Gay propaganda law".
Its not about silencing errione in LGBT community its about protecting children UNTIL they can choose for themselves.
Its actually fine to be gay, talk about it and defend your (and your community) rights.

Why am I talking about this anyway...

I always thought that Gems are asexual and afaik reproducing asexually.
So its hard to say if they can be straight or gay.
Well first off, that law is still super dumb because it's not like anybody is making media that's pressuring kids to be gay. They just want to have openly gay characters. That's what breaks the law; just LGBT characters in cartoons. You don't have to break the fourth wall and point at the screen and say "if you're not gay, kids, then you suck!" to break the law, you just have to show kids that gay people exist. Whether or not that's what the law says, we know that's how it affects cartoons because the people who work on Adventure Time and Gravity Falls have come out and said it outright.
And if you're going to say that Russia has a good track record on LGBT rights, you would be even more wrong; the country is one of the most hostile in the world towards gay people.

Plus, if you think they can't prosecute because they're aliens that are so far only female, the law words it as "non-traditional sexual relationships" so they could absolutely use it to attack steven universe if it made them uncomfortable.

Why we discussing this here?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Saudi_Arabia
Yea its much worse in Russia where they have dis stoipid law. Almost like when ppl get flogged, castrated and executed for being gay in Arabia.
Also this law is not federal (people in 77 out of 85 regions don't care about this law). Pls don't enlighten me more.

Why we discussing this here?
I just pointed out that the reason you don't see a lot of lesbians is cartoons is because it's against the law in russia. That's a well established fact.
You came in ranting about how it isn't "that bad" and saying that I don't even know what's in it so I ain't even putting up with this shit. If you didn't want to start a discussion on Russian LGBT propaganda laws you could have easily pm'd me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Saudi_Arabia
Yea its much worse in Russia where they have dis stoipid law. Almost like when ppl get flogged, castrated and executed for being gay in Arabia.
Also this law is not federal (people in 77 out of 85 regions don't care about this law). Pls don't enlighten me more.
"one of the most hostile in the world towards gay people"
Also, how is this an argument? Saudi Arabia having worse LGBT issues than Russia doesn't make Russia any better. Russia is still a pretty damn awful place to live if you're openly gay.

Someone can't accept bulshit called on mother russia lmao
You have no idea how important LGBT representation in cartoons is
Being in children's media means you being you is finally accepted, it's not a taboo anymore.
You guys can believe what you want, but it's clear that the show has gay undertones.

Last edited:
I caught up with the rest of the episodes and the relationships presented by the Gems would totally make sense if they have the same gender.

I'm gonna just derail everything previously going on and talk about how well the fact Garnet's a fusion explains her earlier actions
In the arcade episode, she got addicted to a music rhythm game, appealing to the one that sings.
When Steven first fused, she was the most excited, since she loves her own fusion
It explains why there are 5 gems on the door to the cave, to represent the two that make up Garnet.
There's probably more hints but I can't think of them right now.
All in all, the writers did a really good job.

Most likely Lapis to Steven?
2. the Pearl + Garnet fusion is going to be called Spessartine, and will appear sometime in Season 2. Maybe very soon...

Why Spessartine?

it's a type of garnet, but it's orange, which doesn't make sense cause pearl is light blue and Garnet is red-ish purple.

AH HA NINJA-ED YOU

sorry i base future fusions off of colour, cause in all the fusions we have seen they have either both colours used in the fusion or it is a mixture of the base colours of the gems fusing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rynozilla
Why Spessartine?
It's a type of Garnet, I think. It was APPARENTLY confirmed, but until I see the source, I don't believe it (though it makes sense). Also. I have another theory, this time on how gems can be genderless, but procreate with humans.
As we know, gems can morph into almost anything. And just specific parts of their bodies, too. So.... Maybe gems can morph themselves to have genitals too... *Cough* Rose x Greg *Cough*
it's a type of garnet, but it's orange, which doesn't make sense cause pearl is light blue and Garnet is red-ish purple.

AH HA NINJA-ED YOU
Oh noooooo D:
Maybe it'll be Yellow. There's already an Orange gem.

Lol, the morphing of genitals is really...yeeeeeeeeeah, I don't think that will be the explanation of procreation with gems and humans. lol I myself am really interested on why exactly Rose and Steven couldn't exist simultaneously.

I am really interested on why exactly Rose and Steven couldn't exist simultaneously.
There can't be more than one gem with the same, well, gem. I don't know why, but it just can't happen, for some reason. That's why there can't be two Pearls, or two Amethysts. Because there can only be one gem with a Pearl gem, etc. But it would be GREAAAAAAAT if they would go REALLY in-depth as to why. I doubt it'll be any time soon though. (Unless it is and I'm super wrong)

There can't be more than one gem with the same, well, gem. I don't know why, but it just can't happen, for some reason. That's why there can't be two Pearls, or two Amethysts. Because there can only be one gem with a Pearl gem, etc. But it would be GREAAAAAAAT if they would go REALLY in-depth as to why. I doubt it'll be any time soon though. (Unless it is and I'm super wrong)

Yeah. I was thinking that, but I thought it was silly. Good to know that is true. I reallllllyyyy can't wait for the episode where Greg tells Steven about how he and his mother metttttt. Omgggg, can't wait for that. That episode needs to be a full thirty minutes. Maybe we'll find out a little then.

Reactions: Rynozilla
As we know, gems can morph into almost anything. And just specific parts of their bodies, too. So.... Maybe gems can morph themselves to have genitals too... *Cough* Rose x Greg *Cough*
This is canon, Ian (Animator for SU) confirmed that Rose had to shapeshift a vagania to make babies when talking about gender and the gems.

IanJQ said:
Steven on the other hand was created by mixing human and gem DNA so he’s a completely new kind of being. He is the only gem to be born thru biological reproductive means(Rose shapeshifted a womb for him to be born from). In Earth terms, he identifies as male so the Crystal Gems have no problem using he/him pronouns with him.

You're super wrong.
Different colors of the same gem definitely exist. The obvious example being Diamonds since Jasper and Peridot's boss is Yellow Diamond but the temple in serious steven and the pattern on the floor of Peridot's ship shows 3 diamond figures- Blue Diamond, which is coincidentally very likely the gem that haunted the lighthouse, and White Diamond. But more importantly and less obviously, Jasper is a form of quartz. In addition to all this Jasper heavily implies there are other Pearls when addressing her as "a defective pearl."

I mean how do you honestly create an entire civilization with a pool of like... 100ish gems max, especially accounting for fusion?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparties
This is canon, Ian (Animator for SU) confirmed that Rose had to shapeshift a vagania to make babies when talking about gender and the gems.
OMFG I WAS RIGHT!?!?
You're super wrong.
Well then. I meant like, exact same gems... Same color, same gem. >.>;
*Cough* Rose's gem *Cough*

Reactions: Horseman
Wow, o.o anything can happen in SU. LOL Would have never thought that the shapeshifting womb would be a real thing. I was expecting a...tremendous, extraordinary reason. It almost sounds like "the easy way out" instead of conjuring up some fantastical idea but -shrugs- whateves.

Regarding the Open Book episode, it was quite cute *^^*
All's I'll say about that.

i personally thought Cloud Connie was going to force Steven to confess his love to the real Connie. That would have been just like my childhood when I was 12. I sucked at confessing to that one cute girl that when to the library all the time. After confessing to her I ran and hid in the bathroom until the library closed, was so embarrassed. In the end I got to go out with her, but it only lasted a week and didn't get past the hug status. Q^Q

i need to get a girl friend, it's been some time now almost two years now... sigh......

Last edited:
Reactions: MysteriousJ
sorry.png what? i uh okay? thanks... I'm fine now. it was like 9 years ago i have had other girls in my life.

i personally thought Cloud Connie was going to force Steven to confess his love to the real Connie..

I thought that too, but I think they are aware of the feelings they both have for one another. Though it would have been nce to actually address it. ~hopeless romantic here~

"Joy Ride" will be next on March 26th and the UG crossover will be on April 2nd, one day off from April's fool day.