• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Wulf Den

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of this moment, SALTY! for this week is now LIVE.

Reactions: Denizen
I wasn't a fan of Professional Wrestling, but I turned on WWE tonight because it's a tribute to The Ultimate Warrior who had recently passed. I thought I could at least honor his memory by watching a night of wrestling.
I'm gonna be honest here, pro wrestling is sooo stupid, but it's the kind of stupid that I like. It's the kind of stupid that you see from adults playing football at a barbecue. It's the kind of stupid that you see between a couple of kids roughhousing in the backyard. It's over-the-top, hold nothing back stupid!
IT'S BEOWULF STUPID!
This is actually the first Beowulf avatar that I've ever used on this site.
Beowulf Avatar.png

It's the main reason why I want Beo to be stupid. so dumb but nice enough to be a good guy that is dumb but you can't help but love.

It's the main reason why I want Beo to be stupid. so dumb but nice enough to be a good guy that is dumb but you can't help but love.
A direct quite from Alex Ahad:
"Beowulf’s intelligence might not be particularly noteworthy, but he gets the job done."

Sorry Sano, Beowulf may not be the smartest guy in the world, but he is by no means an idiot.

I'm not saying I want him an idiot, I just want Beowulf to not be smart in any way shape or form in terms of intellectual attributes, but have a good sense of right and wrong and love fighting.

Entertainment is a craft requiring skill and wit. It takes a really smart guy to pull off a convincing over the top stupid attitude. Not necessarily PHD kinds of smart, though. Less scientific knowledge and more situational awareness and flexibility + a good sense of context. Less smarts that has to do with books and more that has to do with people, how they work and how to make them have a good time.

The same goes for combat, a great warrior trains not only his body, but his mind and soul as well. I would know.
I find it hard to believe that a fool could go undefeated for his entire career and defeat two giants with nothing but his bare hands. In order for that to happen a man needs brains as well as brawn, and a fighting spirit to match.
Strategic ingenuity and knowledge of combat are a must for a man in his field. Beowulf doesn't solve the problems posed by the greatest minds in history, he solves practical problems.
For instance, how is he going to stop some big mean mother gigan from tearing him a structurally superfluous new behind? The Answer? Use a brain, and if that don't work, use more brains.

In other words JOSEPH JOESTAR, JUST ACCEPT IT.

In other words JOSEPH JOESTAR, JUST ACCEPT IT.
As long as he isn't Johnathan...

What's wrong with Jonathan? You know, other than not having a Stand. Kappa
He got blindsided and bodyjacked. Also, he was a wimp before the Ripple/Hamon elements came in.

I'm not saying I want Beo to be stupid :/ I just want him to be like "1+1 equals a good fight" or something like that.

Reactions: Top hat walrus
That's a perfect example of stupidity.

I think what you want is a dumb but loveable guy like Goku, but you don't want to outright call him stupid even though that's exactly what dumb means.

Beowulf isn't turning out the way you want him to Sano, sorry but that's how it's going to be.

well, I can still hope. we know nothing concrete since Beo hasn't even been started on, nor do we know how Alex is gonna deliver Beo's personality.

for all we know, we're both wrong about the character that is Beowulf.

We actually do know something concrete.

1. He would act like Kamina.
2. The real life pro wrestlers in his gameplay inspirations.

Neither Kamina nor any of those pro wrestlers strike me as fools, but I'm going to refer only to Kamina for now. People may call Kamina an idiot, but consider what intelligence really is for a moment. Is intelligence an IQ test? Fuck no it isn't, nor is intelligence a GPA or a vocabulary. I believe that unlike raw strength, intelligence is by conventional means an immeasurable trait. I believe that it's remarkably difficult to say, "That guy is so much smarter than this guy" with any real certainty. I believe that a person's intelligence is expressed not through words or numbers, but through actions and attitude.

I believe that the farmer who stares at a field and sees life and beauty is more intelligent than the theoretical physicist who sees only plants and food. I believe that the community college student who understands right and wrong is far more intelligent than the ivy league student who feels entitled to what they want. Intelligence is understanding universal truths, and one of those truths is that all sentient beings deserve to be free.
Unlike everyone else Kamina understood this, and he was willing to fight and die for that truth. Where other people saw a wall Kamina saw a path just waiting to be carved out with his drill. Kamina understood things that even the most "intelligent" minds in that show couldn't.

Beowulf and Kamina are not geniuses, nor are they fools, they are men who get the job done. If you want them to be dumb then you are insulting them on a fundamental level, because fools cannot do what these great men have done.

Reactions: TechPowah
We actually do know something concrete.

1. He would act like Kamina.
2. The real life pro wrestlers in his gameplay inspirations.
I think you're describing wisdom more so than intelligence. Which of course, would better suit Beowulf as a character trait.

Intelligence, knowledge, wisdom, who fuckin' cares what you call it, this is the cape and cloak problem all over again.

You get my point, Beowulf is not a fool.

I think you're taking my viewpoint of Beo as an insult when I clearly am not trying to do so.

When you say that you want Beowulf to be "not be smart in any way shape or form in terms of intellectual attributes" then I take that as an insult to him.

*WARNING SPOILERS FOR THE EPIC POEM AHEAD*

So I just finished Beowulf in class today and if the epic is going to be any thing like the SG incarnation, we can say:

-He's strong and brave to a fault where people are prone to want to follow him, but this also has people sometimes abandoning him in super dangerous situations where only he would be crazy enough to go on i.e. fighting Grendel's mom underwater for 3 days or weeks (the translation we had was weird about this but both are pretty damn impressive) and fighting the dragon (though on this one he kinda told everyone to back off from the beginning of the fight so he could handle it on his own).
-He's a great leader (was king of the Geats for 50 years) but not at all worried about someone taking his title by force or otherwise (the poem ends on his death and says nothing about him having a heir, kinda ensuring his kingdom to political doom)
-Respectable and meek (gave King Hrothgar the spoils from his battles overseas and turned down kingship offered by the queen herself because it would mess up the royal bloodline order)
-Can be known to mentor young children (he tutors the actual heir to the throne on how not to be a wimp and that goes pretty well...until he dies in battle and Beowulf has to take the throne by (bravely) default)
-He ain't going down like no punk in his story mode if he does die (Beowulf saw himself dying in the near future so he went to go fight the dragon and go out in a quite literal blaze of glory instead of rotting away as a sick man)

All in all, a decent guy that can get 'er done but kinda misses the finer points of things sometimes.

When you say that you want Beowulf to be "not be smart in any way shape or form in terms of intellectual attributes" then I take that as an insult to him.
that's more of the fact that I am awful with words.

they can be hard yo...

*WARNING SPOILERS FOR THE EPIC POEM AHEAD*
(the poem ends on his death and says nothing about him having a heir, kinda ensuring his kingdom to political doom)
*SAME WARNING AS SEEN ABOVE*
Actually, Wiglaf becomes the next king.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
*SAME WARNING AS SEEN ABOVE*
Actually, Wiglaf becomes the next king.

Oh yeah, he does, totally forgot. Still, it's like a "oh, uh, I guess I'm doing this" kind of election. It's just noted that securing a heir instead of kinda having kingship just fall on someone isn't on the top of his kingly duties.

Oh yeah, he does, totally forgot. Still, it's like "oh, uh, I guess I'm doing this" kind of election. It's just noted that securing a heir instead of kinda having kingship just fall on someone isn't on the top of his kingly duties.
You say he misses the finer points of things, I say that he ignores the minor details.
Beowulf's view of the world is most likely grand and larger-than-life, so it's understandable that he wouldn't be paying attention to some of the things that "smart" people would catch, that doesn't make him "stupid."

Intelligence, knowledge, wisdom, who fuckin' cares what you call it, this is the cape and cloak problem all over again.

You get my point, Beowulf is not a fool.

1a5da2b1a75fa45fbe6de8a3caca4324.gif

Reactions: Top hat walrus
Sorry? I Think?

I'm not sure how to feel about that Cawtime.

You say he misses the finer points of things, I say that he ignores the minor details.
Beowulf's view of the world is most likely grand and larger-than-life, so it's understandable that he wouldn't be paying attention to some of the things that "smart" people would catch, that doesn't make him "stupid."

That's all true. Beowulf certainly does "take the bull by the horns" (or is it take the Grendel by the arm?) when approaching life. He is also by no means dumb (50 years is an awesome term). A king has to fulfill two duties at the end of the day, the safety of his people and the longevity of the kingdom. He drops the ball on the second part by not making sure he had a heir, but that's the only major thing.

if it makes anybody feel any better I'd love Beowulf to have a lot of similarities to Kotetsu Kaburagi from Tiger & Bunny. I think Beo would find a kindred spirit with the Crusher of Justice.

if it makes anybody feel any better I'd love Beowulf to have a lot of similarities to Kotetsu Kaburagi from Tiger & Bunny. I think Beo would find a kindred spirit with the Crusher of Justice.
Why does this seem so perfect?
tumblr_lzkjpcqIEc1roslrvo1_500.gif

Welcome to the world of the superhero mascot turned up to eleven.

Status
Not open for further replies.