• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Unpopular gaming opinions

so by your logic, all companies should say "hey, look at this guy who made our game better by himself without any budget and only his free time that we couldn't be bothered to do ourselves!"
that sounds like developers would get tons of love from publishers and their company owners.

yeah, no thanks. I'm gonna judge a game based on what the dev and publisher deemed acceptable to sell me at the price they chose to sell it to me. if that dev wants to make add-ons, be my guest. I will judge the add-on seperately from the game. but I won't judge them both as a single unit.
Please stop being so fucking stupid. I never said that the shipped game doesn't count for shit, I said that mods count too.
I'm saying that mods add a very significant amount of value and quality to a game, and that you should assess the whole game, including what it can be if you're willing to mod it. If you're trying to assess the quality of a game you don't just push a bunch of it off like "this doesn't count, only what comes shipped with my game counts as real content!" It's a backwards and ridiculous and dated mindset and it's unbelievable that people still use it. It asserts that you're supposed to judge video games the same way you judge movies and music and literature because it's easier and you won't ever have to bother with thinking abstractly.
Although here's a good mindset for that developer: "Hey, those modders made our game better! Let's hire them!" because I don't know how that doesn't happen all the time considering how well it's worked out for valve.
And if you continue to use a mocking tone I'm not going to reply again. I prefer to speak to people that are at least slightly open minded.

I think you could say for the developers "the game is easily moddable and that should make it more replayable" as a + for the developers, but I don't think any serious review of Super Mario World would factor all the romhacks as something the game itself actually does right.

I also don't think that I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is sexist nor ablist nor homophobic nor racist nor cis privileged.

you got a little confusing with the double negatives there, honey

you got a little confusing with the double negatives there, honey
Yeah I saw that as well.

Because a girl was raped this game is misogynistic?

That's how that works now?

I like gen 4 the most.

Yeah I saw that as well.

Because a girl was raped this game is misogynistic?

That's how that works now?

people have no idea what a game can and can't show. like, when Bioshock Infinite showed the racist parts and everyone was flipping shit over like "OMG! why would you have this racism in the game?! you're racists! thats the only explanation for why you would put this in!"and I was sitting back like "this is how it fucking was back then. read a book about american history"

but no one ever talks about how Fitzroy's army ALSO became the racists because they were so focused on revenge over true equality.

Last edited:
I like gen 4 the most.
gen 4 was an interesting point in pokemon history
Personally, I find Diamond and Pearl to be incredibly droll and slow with not much going for it, mons-wise.
Platinum really spruced the engine up though (i expect the third version of XY, if there is one, to accomplish similar results in ironing out the kinks) and added a lot more diversity to Sinnoh.
Sinnoh itself suffers from what we call "why are there so many caves what did I do to deserve all these caves" syndrome, but has an interesting lore behind. Even more so, i feel that Gen 4 is when the world of pokemon started to feel more like an actual world, with history and such. Everything before then is mostly just guesses and teasing.

Technically, Gen 4 dropped a major bomb by adding the special physical split, which made the metagame shit itself. The split really helped a lot of mons, like Feraligatr for example, find their place in the metagame as well.

not to mention that the HGSS games are even sharper than platinum, and had a ton of great features like the pokewalker and the pokeathlon. And even minor aesthetic stuff like pokemon following you.

plus, Gen 4 introduced Cynthia and she's a 10/10 cute (Skyla's 11/10 because thighs though)

I think the best Castlevania Metroidvania is a tie between either Circle of The Moon and Dawn of Sorrow.

Circle of The Moon is amazing as a hybrid between the classic style Castlevania and exploration. It's really good.

Dawn of Sorrow is basically the most polished and well designed out of all the SOTN inspired sequels, and the most fun to actually play.

Portait and Eclessia are good, but they were trying to take the formula in a new direction (like circle of the moon, were trying to get a blend between the oldschool linear level designs and combat and the exploration). But neither of them were perfectly polished or designed (though still very, very fun). Sad they never got a third game like that, could have been really awesome.

Symphony of The Night IMO only has one real advantage over the rest of the series: That huge sense of all these unexplored hidden things from the developers. All the spells, secrets, easter eggs, etc. The sheer number of them dwarfs the rest of the series. But in terms of gameplay I don't think it's nearly as polished, balanced, or well designed as Dawn.

I think the best Castlevania Metroidvania is a tie between either Circle of The Moon and Dawn of Sorrow.

Dawn of Sorrow is basically the most polished and well designed out of all the SOTN inspired sequels, and the most fun to actually play.
high-five-o.gif

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
i mostly don't like the IGAvania's because he's kind of a manchildish twat

plus we never got the Julius game so what's even the point in caring about the series any more

I think you could say for the developers "the game is easily moddable and that should make it more replayable" as a + for the developers, but I don't think any serious review of Super Mario World would factor all the romhacks as something the game itself actually does right.
Well, two things:
Obviously I'm not talking about mods that are total conversions of the original game, I'm talking about stuff that would be considered DLC if it was made by the original developers. Stuff that expands or changes on ideas presented in the game, not stuff that basically just uses the base of the original game to make something entirely different. For an example, Dark Souls PC version goes from a straight 0/10 to decent 9/10 or so because of all the big fix mods for it. I could see the vanilla as opposed to the modded versions warranting seperate judgment in some cases, but if the premise of your review is to judge a game's worth, which I don't know what you're judging it for otherwise, mods and moddability are a major factor.
The other thing is that this involves stuff that you can tack onto the game, not straight up hacks that would require an emulator and a likely illegal copy of the game to play. The big difference being that there's no practical way of modifying your super mario world cartridge to play your rom hacks.

people have no idea what a game can and can't show. like, when Bioshock Infinite showed the racist parts and everyone was flipping shit over it I was sitting back like "this is how it fucking was back then. read a book about american history"

but no one ever talks about how Fitzroy's army ALSO became the racists because they were so focused on revenge over true equality.
For me, it was less about the game itself being racist in its portrayal of the era, and more about it just kind of throwing racism out there as a major theme of the game without saying very much about it. It felt like "yeah, everyone was racist back then, and that was bad and stuff." It could have easily addressed racism without making it such a major theme,
Although it's really fucking stupid that they made daisy a villain. It felt so... half assed. Like she had perfectly good motivations and they never actually foreshadow anything but that the vox are considered bad people to the higher-ups in columbia society. But when you meet her they just kind of go the disney route and make her super duper evil. That part where booker says that she's just as bad as comstock made me cringe. Maybe if they at least implied that the vox were being too violent or something before they just throw daisy out there as a villain with no build-up... sigh. That's by far the worst part of the story.

No Sano, why are you antagonizing people on their unpopular opinions? That's quite rude.

let's antagonize people over their popular opinions instead!
that way we can feel superior to others because we like things that the majority dislikes or is otherwise unaware of!

gen 4 was an interesting point in pokemon history
Personally, I find Diamond and Pearl to be incredibly droll and slow with not much going for it, mons-wise.
Platinum really spruced the engine up though (i expect the third version of XY, if there is one, to accomplish similar results in ironing out the kinks) and added a lot more diversity to Sinnoh.
Sinnoh itself suffers from what we call "why are there so many caves what did I do to deserve all these caves" syndrome, but has an interesting lore behind. Even more so, i feel that Gen 4 is when the world of pokemon started to feel more like an actual world, with history and such. Everything before then is mostly just guesses and teasing.

Technically, Gen 4 dropped a major bomb by adding the special physical split, which made the metagame shit itself. The split really helped a lot of mons, like Feraligatr for example, find their place in the metagame as well.

not to mention that the HGSS games are even sharper than platinum, and had a ton of great features like the pokewalker and the pokeathlon. And even minor aesthetic stuff like pokemon following you.

plus, Gen 4 introduced Cynthia and she's a 10/10 cute (Skyla's 11/10 because thighs though)
Plus Cresselia made it all the more special. And yea, the game had an awesome feel to it, I loved the music, the Pokémon, everything, I don't see why it get's so much hate. (And Lenora is best gym leader)

Bravely Default is a bad game.

I don't mean it please don't hurt me.

Gameplay should always come first, before aesthetics, story, dialogue, the core gameplay should above all be the factor
I actually didn't mean to post this, I was going to write out a rather lengthy opinion on the matter, but decided against it.

Woops.

On topic, we need more games where you control real animals, ones that aren't wolves.

There needs to be an entire game based around pokemon-amie

Bravely Default is a bad game.

I don't mean it please don't hurt me.
If it makes you feel better it doesn't interest me in the slightest, I feel like the one person on the planet who feels that way right now.

Starring Cresselia and Hawlucha.

Come to think of it, how is there not a pokemon game with nintendogs gameplay?
Is this not the most obvious idea in existence?
And I swear to god don't pretend that hey you pikachu counts.

Amie just has so much thought and detail put into it that it's just too great a mode
like Honedge's sweetspot changing depending on how much it likes you
or Espurr swatting at the stuff you dangle over them

i dont think Team fortress 2 or Counter strike are good. they are fun for a while but it loses its charm afterwards, but thats not the biggest problem for me. its the community that really makes me not like these games. TF2 and Counter strike rank up there on the top 5 worst communities for me, the others being COD , LoL (slowly getting better though), and minecraft. they make wanna beat the crap out of them and be mean, but i have to tell myself that if i did that i would no better than them.

Reactions: Lavama
i dont think Team fortress 2 or Counter strike are good. they are fun for a while but it loses its charm afterwards, but thats not the biggest problem for me. its the community that really makes me not like these games. TF2 and Counter strike rank up there on the top 5 worst communities for me, the others being COD , LoL (slowly getting better though), and minecraft. they make wanna beat the crap out of them and be mean, but i have to tell myself that if i did that i would no better than them.
While I don't think they are the worst by any stretch of the word, I will say that the TF2 community really didn't try to stop the whole "Hats online" environment that permeates the game now and that's just sad. Making TF2 free to play is fine, but microtransactions and random drops don't make for a good FPS experience.

TF2 is one of those games that can be more fun and deep than most people give it credit for if played a certain way, but almost nobody does and instead just assumes it's a brain dead game.

Like, it's called TEAM Fortress 2, but in my experience most people just hop onto a random server, and screw around without communicating with anyone or using team work. Nothing gets done, the match is stuck in a stalement for hours on 2fort, and eventually they just jump off bored. Alternatively, you're playing it like an mmo and finding new and innovative ways to idle for maximum drops.

If you actually get a small party of close friends vs a small party of other close friends, and you all communicate and use teamwork, the game can really be a blast.

Not trying to be elitist in saying people are playing it "wrong", just seems like a lot of people who don't like it haven't given it a fair chance or put any effort into it.

Last edited:
Exactly as Squire Grooktook has said.

I'm an offensive Heavy player, so I'm always trying to get an attack together to take damage for the team. Sometimes it works, sometimes I break the enemies back alone and have no one to follow me and get stuff done when I die.

Such is the way of the Heavy.

I love TF2, it's one of my favorite games.... ever!

All of the Capcom games are absolute trash.

Super Mario RPG is disgustingly overrated.

Smash Bros Brawl was a massive disappointment.

Last edited:
All of the Capcom games are mediocre and absolute trash.

Super Mario RPG is disgustingly overrated.

With the exception of the SMRPG, I'm not sure those are all that unpopular, though it's pretty hard to be both mediocre and trash simultaneously.

i feel as though the word "mediocre" has gain a more negative connotation these days
i mean it has "medi" right in there
what else could it mean but "average, if slightly below average"

All of the Capcom games are mediocre and absolute trash.

Ghouls and Ghosts is god tier and wrecks your face.

Most people agree with this one.

i feel as though the word "mediocre" has gain a more negative connotation these days
i mean it has "medi" right in there
what else could it mean but "average, if slightly below average"

Well exactly. It means slightly below average, so you're technically calling it bad. Not terrible but bad.

Reactions: Smilax
I classify mediocre more as "could be better, but still playable and even enjoyable" as opposed to strictly "objectively and undeniably bad" as most people would think that it means, in the sense of a video game that is

who even knows at this point
language is an organic being, ever changing
a big dumb stupid organic being that I hate with all my being

a big dumb stupid organic being that I hate with all my being
We should just stop communicating with each other. It would solve all of our problems.

we need to communication through breakdancing and beatboxing
maybe scat as well if we need to get formal

It is possibly a generational thing as I missed the craze by a few years, but I think Pokemon is super overrated.

Edited to add: TF2 can be great and far from simple. The problem is the servers which cater to new people are often the first and last thing people see. You'll get 10 engineers all defending the flag which is fairly mindless.

Also, play the games with the correct number of players which is 24... not 36 which turns the game into a cluster fuck.

Try arena which lets the good players shine.

Finally, check out some competitive games (6v6). Those are a blast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smilax
Moba's would be more fun if they weren't hitscan and point and click based. Seriously.

Edited to add: TF2 can be great and far from simple. The problem is the servers which cater to new people are often the first and last thing people see. You'll get 10 engineers all defending the flag which is fairly mindless.
Oh god those games.
And then I would switch to pyro and go on voice chat trying to get the medic to uber me and he would keep ubering the heavy or the soldier like they had any chance of breaking a set-up with like 5 sentries. And then there was always some spy who thought continuously sapping one sentry and getting killed was somehow the answer to all our problems.

Edit:
Moba's would be more fun if they weren't hitscan and point and click based. Seriously.
Awesomenauts? Smite? (Smite isn't tab targetting, is it? It's in 3rd person...)