• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Unpopular gaming opinions

I personally believe that Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance deserves Game of the Year. And it's soundtrack deserves that Grammy it's aiming for.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 have aged better than Mario 64. Especially 2. The Knuckles segments were actually fun (get to explore some really cool environments with speedy high flying controls), and the only bad part of 2 were the tails/eggmans segments, and even those weren't too bad.

Reactions: Agent York
Majora's Mask is the worst Zelda gameplay-wise all the masks were stupid except the stone mask. Goron felt slippy and clunky at the same time, Deku controlled alright and Zora wasn't bad either.

The dungeons were too fucking easy that is until you reach stone tower temple which is just a giant FUCK YOU for anyone trying to play for the first time those who have already played it multiple times would say otherwise but honestly it would be like playing zelda 1 and 2 without the instruction manual or at least a goddamn map. I PRAYED for a Navi style hint but there were none. Ever. Tatl wouldn't say anything the fuck do I do about this thing I never saw before? just use everything in your inventory 'til something works apparently. Also you got 3 hours (less if you went from one temple to the next) to do it and the temple flips have fun.

Side quests were fun though that's about it. the only characters I found interesting was the couple that was supposed to marry on the final day. Now THAT'S a story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Error Macro
I actually don't like The Legend of Zelda series. I think Mario Party is a good series, same with Sonic Riders.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 have aged better than Mario 64. Especially 2. The Knuckles segments were actually fun (get to explore some really cool environments with speedy high flying controls), and the only bad part of 2 were the tails/eggmans segments, and even those weren't too bad.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Majora's Mask is the worst Zelda gameplay-wise all the masks were stupid except the stone mask. Goron felt slippy and clunky at the same time, Deku controlled alright and Zora wasn't bad either.

The dungeons were too fucking easy that is until you reach stone tower temple which is just a giant FUCK YOU for anyone trying to play for the first time those who have already played it multiple times would say otherwise but honestly it would be like playing zelda 1 and 2 without the instruction manual or at least a goddamn map. I PRAYED for a Navi style hint but there were none. Ever. Tatl wouldn't say anything the fuck do I do about this thing I never saw before? just use everything in your inventory 'til something works apparently. Also you got 3 hours (less if you went from one temple to the next) to do it and the temple flips have fun.

Side quests were fun though that's about it. the only characters I found interesting was the couple that was supposed to marry on the final day. Now THAT'S a story.

dean-what-gif.gif.pagespeed.ce.AxPbTeh-08.gif

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
-Final Fantasy is not an rpg. It's a linear story telling game that just happens to have gameplay mechanics (turn based battles, leveling, etc.) that are common among rpgs. There is no actual role playing in the series beyond the first game (and MAYBE the third, if I'm being generous), so I don't think they should be called rpg's.
There's a MASSIVE difference between a JRPG and an RPG. JRPG's are very much their own thing, and were always meant as a linear story telling genre. They're more based on the VN genre than anything else, whereas western RPG's are developed off of D&D.
(Note that the split between western RPG's and JRPG's doesn't have a thing to do with the geographical location of the author anymore.)

-Turn based battles are not obsolete. They can have the same sense of excitement as any action game battle, they just go about it differently. Action vs Turn Based both have their advantages so it's more of a trade off picking one over the other. Turn Based leads itself more to the "imagination" aspect of rpg's though.
When did this become an unpopular opinion? I know a lot of people who dislike the traditional turn based stuff, but not much more than a vocal minority that would call them "obsolete."

anything indie in its name is a joke.
If the game actually put indie in the title, yeah, it's probably a sarcastic joke.
In fact, I think I want to make a game called "Indie Simulator 2014" now.

the problem is that the market for indies sort of whores out the word "indie" alone. it worked for fez, and people bought it. it works for braid and people buy it. I hate how the TERM itself is just so whored out in its entirety. a game should stand on its own merits, not because of how its made.
Fez and Braid weren't considered good games because they're indie, though. That's kind of a baseless claim. You might say they got popular by being indie games, or used the term to advertise, but that's a different story.
My problem with "indie" is that it doesn't mean shit anymore, because at this point most of the games that call themselves indie have a publisher. To most people it means that it's not AAA, and stuff like Bastion or nearly any Double Fine game or even Day Z get called "indie." It's really just a buzz word at this point.

Qauntic Dream and David Cage are overrated and terrible. For example, Heavy Rain? The game everyone lauded as "the greatest"? I hated it; it's barely a game at all, and even then only because it has QTE. That's all.
For one, QTE's are really really unfairly condemned. A lot of games use them terribly, but that doesn't mean you should EVER say that a game is bad simply because it uses QTE's. Explain why it uses them poorly. This annoyed the crap out of me with The Walking Dead critiques, when in all reality it used QTE's very well; they produced good immersion, by having you perform frantic motions in frantic moments like mashing a button to push a zombie off of you and some calmer mouse/analogue stick motions when the actions performed are calm. The problem that QTE's have when they're haphazardly added to games is that they aren't consistent; you see that you're in a cutscene, you calm down, and then all of a sudden it has you press A for some reason, and you miss it, and you're forced to start the cutscene over... they use it as a lazy way to pretend like you aren't watching a cutscene, basically, and to not have you lose control of the character, when in all reality that's such a horrible way to do it that it's 500x as bad as excessive cutscenes.
And as for the "barely even a game" thing... well, you don't really understand what a game is. The definition of a game is extremely dependent on circumstance. It's a waste of time to attempt to make a unified definition of "game" because, much like "art", you're never really going to find one that fits every game. As such, it's silly to accuse one game of being more gamey than another game, since if we can't exactly define "game" then we sure as hell don't know what makes a game "gamey." This all kind of sounds like a run-on sentence because I've had to make this argument like a million times, I'm really tired of it, if you want me to go more in-depth I guess I can but I honestly really don't want to, look up a youtube video or something. Actually, here, hand selected youtube video that explains more:
Knock yourself out.

Ya could've foooooooooooled me. .-.
There's pretty much no one that's really involved with gaming that would tell you that games cause shootings.
Although, really really unpopular gaming opinion:
When studies are funded to test games as a cause of violent behavior, why the fuck does everyone freak out? There are 3 realistic outcomes to the scenario, and you benefit from all of them:
1.) Games really do make people psychopaths and it's probably a good thing for you to know about, considering you play them.
2.) Games are conclusively proven to not cause long term violent behavior, and you get to rub it in to your local pretentious housewife.
3.) The study doesn't prove shit, you laugh at them for wasting money, life goes on.
Nobody has any reason to be angry. Seriously.

Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina of Time. In fact, Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game ever (This opinion has seen some popularity recently as well!).
Majora's mask is the best game Nintendo has ever made.

I prefer Zelda 2.

Both N64 Zeldas weren't very good.

Reactions: KaboomKid
The Witcher series is generic and uninteresting, and the gameplay is garbage. Seriously, any time where the entire game community tell you there's a specific and counterintuitive way to play the game to enjoy it, the gameplay clearly sucks ass (e.g. "you just need to roll around constantly as though Geralt has a balance disorder").

For one, QTE's are really really unfairly condemned. A lot of games use them terribly, but that doesn't mean you should EVER say that a game is bad simply because it uses QTE's. Explain why it uses them poorly. This annoyed the crap out of me with The Walking Dead critiques, when in all reality it used QTE's very well; they produced good immersion, by having you perform frantic motions in frantic moments like mashing a button to push a zombie off of you and some calmer mouse/analogue stick motions when the actions performed are calm. The problem that QTE's have when they're haphazardly added to games is that they aren't consistent; you see that you're in a cutscene, you calm down, and then all of a sudden it has you press A for some reason, and you miss it, and you're forced to start the cutscene over... they use it as a lazy way to pretend like you aren't watching a cutscene, basically, and to not have you lose control of the character, when in all reality that's such a horrible way to do it that it's 500x as bad as excessive cutscenes.
And as for the "barely even a game" thing... well, you don't really understand what a game is. The definition of a game is extremely dependent on circumstance. It's a waste of time to attempt to make a unified definition of "game" because, much like "art", you're never really going to find one that fits every game. As such, it's silly to accuse one game of being more gamey than another game, since if we can't exactly define "game" then we sure as hell don't know what makes a game "gamey." This all kind of sounds like a run-on sentence because I've had to make this argument like a million times, I'm really tired of it, if you want me to go more in-depth I guess I can but I honestly really don't want to, look up a youtube video or something. Actually, here, hand selected youtube video that explains more:

I never said QTE was bad. I said that was only thing that Heavy Rain has that was anything like a video game, and I was implying it did it badly.

And when I say it's "barely a game", I say that because it's truth. Have you seen it? It's an interactive movie, not a game. Big difference. And the "interactive" parts are the only parts that have gameplay: movement and QTE. That's not enough to be a game; a game needs actual gameplay.

Zelda Twilight Princess > Zelda Ocarina

Mario Galaxy > Mario 64

In both cases the difference is so drastic I am surprised there is debate on this at all.

Zelda Twilight Princess > Zelda Ocarina

Mario Galaxy > Mario 64

In both cases the difference is so drastic I am surprised there is debate on this at all.

http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/mediocre-mario-64/

There's a MASSIVE difference between a JRPG and an RPG. JRPG's are very much their own thing, and were always meant as a linear story telling genre. They're more based on the VN genre than anything else, whereas western RPG's are developed off of D&D.
(Note that the split between western RPG's and JRPG's doesn't have a thing to do with the geographical location of the author anymore.).

Maybe so, but I still feel that the term "role playing" should be reserved for games that in some way involve...role playing. Also there are tons of jrpg's that play like classic rpg's, not like every jrpg is final fantasy after all. Shin Megami Tensei might be niche here but it sure isn't in Japan, and that game is as classic role playing as you get.

Last edited:
Metroid Other M was a great metroid game and better than prime
Metroid other M was the bastard child of Fusion's entire plot and most of it's bosses, and Team Ninja doing a good job with the combat. Before Other M their was not a single bad Metroid game (Even Hunters was good).

I think Castlevania Judgment is okay.
I really liked the fact that you could fight enemies other than the character roster, it made the Castle mode unique to that game. I wish more fighting games would do that, it would make story modes longer for the right reasons and give some variety to arcade mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: DawnHibiki
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 have aged better than Mario 64
When was the last time you played any of those three games? I've played all three within the past year and while I have much better memories of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, they nearly made me vomit from how terrible they were in almost literally every aspect. Super Mario 64 still felt fun and well designed.

Reactions: Smilax
When was the last time you played any of those three games? I've played all three within the past year and while I have much better memories of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, they nearly made me vomit from how terrible they were in almost literally every aspect. Super Mario 64 still felt fun and well designed.
Read that article I posted before saying Mario 64 was well designed. And terrible in every aspect? No. While Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails may have been the only good parts of Sa1, Sa2 only had one bad part and that was the mech (Eggman and Tails) sections. Other than that they were good games.

I know I left a big list on the other thread, but I can't help but leave a few extra gaming ones here. It's kinda nice to get some of these off my chest and still be on topic.

-I think the Sega Saturn was better than the Dreamcast.
-I think Bust-A-Groove was more fun than DDR, but DDR was better exercise.
-I think Makoto's schoolgirl alt outfit in SSF4 is silly, and her shoe size is way too small.
-I still believe you can save General Leo. Somehow.
-I think Krystal deserves better. The original Dinosaur Planet should still be released.
-I don't think Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is a poorly made game, it's just not very fun.
-I think consoles are already dead, and we just won't accept it yet.

Reactions: Calypsx
Phil Fish is a fucking cunt.

I know its not unpopular to think this but you can't give me a good reason for not saying it regardless.

Pump it Up > DDR

I love PIU and it has a better step pad format, better music overall, and allows for freestyle which is cool if your into that sort of thing.

Read that article I posted before saying Mario 64 was well designed. And terrible in every aspect? No. While Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails may have been the only good parts of Sa1, Sa2 only had one bad part and that was the mech (Eggman and Tails) sections. Other than that they were good games.
Didn't see it before I posted, but after reading it my opinion has not changed. I still believe that the Sonic Adventure games are pretty much garbage, especially compared to Mario 64

So I just looked up Phil Fish...he looks eerily similar to grump of the many chins (if you catch my drift)
OH! Speaking of unpopular opinions! I REALLY LIKE DARKSYDEPHIL
Nope.
No.
I'm sorry.
I was gonna try and troll for a bit.
I couldn't do it. He's a total shit.

I never said QTE was bad. I said that was only thing that Heavy Rain has that was anything like a video game, and I was implying it did it badly.
Well then explain, ffs. I haven't even played heavy rain so I have no clue if it does QTE's well. Tell me why you disliked the QTE's, maybe you have a perfectly valid reason for not liking them, but the only thing you pointed out was that they were one of the only things there. That's like saying "Call of duty is a bad game because it's mostly shooting."

And when I say it's "barely a game", I say that because it's truth. Have you seen it? It's an interactive movie, not a game. Big difference. And the "interactive" parts are the only parts that have gameplay: movement and QTE. That's not enough to be a game; a game needs actual gameplay.
You should really watch that video I posted.

Maybe so, but I still feel that the term "role playing" should be reserved for games that in some way involve...role playing. Also there are tons of jrpg's that play like classic rpg's, not like every jrpg is final fantasy after all. Shin Megami Tensei might be niche here but it sure isn't in Japan, and that game is as classic role playing as you get.
Perhaps JRPG is a bad name, since it's by no means a requirement for them to have you play a role and very few of them actually do, but it's not really a big deal in the long run. The term "RPG" has been abused to hell since when it's dissected and mixed with shitty semantics, it basically means every game ever, and various JRPG's aren't the first or the worst offenders here.

Didn't see it before I posted, but after reading it my opinion has not changed. I still believe that the Sonic Adventure games are pretty much garbage, especially compared to Mario 64

Disagree, I replayed them at the same time and the Sonic (and even Knuckles stages) are way more fun platforming than anything in Mario 64. But that's just my opinion.

Well then explain, ffs. I haven't even played heavy rain so I have no clue if it does QTE's well. Tell me why you disliked the QTE's, maybe you have a perfectly valid reason for not liking them, but the only thing you pointed out was that they were one of the only things there. That's like saying "Call of duty is a bad game because it's mostly shooting."

The reason I disliked the QTEs is because the majority are pointless, at least from my experience. I played it with my cousin (he had an Xbox at the time and I was too poor to get one) and I found that with those QTEs, if you remove most of them from the game, nothing would have really changed.

Literally, the majority of it, from what I remember, is "walk from point A to point B" and nothing else but some QTE to fill the space. Keep in mind "nothing else but QTE to fill the space". That's what those pointless QTE are there for; to fill up empty space and nothing else.

Even in the cutscenes and important story events the QTE feel pointless. You listen to the characters talking, and then a QTE prompt pops up like some kind of dialogue tree to make you pick what to say next. The reality of the situation? Remove the QTE from that, and nothing changes at all. All of that is not QTE done right, that's lazily tacking it on so that it qualifies as "interactive".

There's only two points when the QTE didn't feel pointless, and they're somewhere in the beginning and right at the end. And even then, it's just because those are action sequences. Which are entirely QTE. Once again making this use of QTE bad, by suddenly making it go from pointless to tedious.

The worst part of all? Despite claims that everything you do affects the ending, judging from our collective experience with the first action sequence, if you screw those two events up, they make you start it over with no consequences for fucking it up.

Also, I watched the video. I didn't say it wasn't a game. I said it was barely a game. Animal Crossing? That's a game. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance? Just as much. Heavy Rain? Barely.

For me, video games are judged by them having gameplay. All games are interactive in differing ways, all games have "winstates" of differing types, and to say "games are supposed to be fun" is shallow to the emotionally charged games out there that tug at the heartstrings, or whatever other examples you can provide.

But the fact remains, without the QTE, Heavy Rain would just be an interactive movie. Literally, by removing just one thing, just one part of the gameplay. That's why I say it's "barely a game".

Also, I disagree with the video on the "silence can be music" thing. First of all, he called it a song, but a song requires a combination of music and sung lyrics. Which 4' 33" has neither of. Second, music and song are weird art forms in that they are as much sciences as they are arts. And science has rules and set definitions, unlike art.

Second, music and song are weird art forms in that they are as much sciences as they are arts.
To be fair, you could say this about any art form. I mean, if you're going to paint something you need to know about lighting, composition, anatomy, draftsman ship, etc. There's a subtle science to all the arts and a subtle element of imagination to the scientific process (not saying Science is about imagination, just saying that like Einstein said, sometimes imagination is important for making the intuitive leaps of logic that sometimes moves science forward).

Reactions: DARKNESSxEAGLE
MGS2 is my favorite game in the series, but I acknowledge that it's not as good as MGS1 and Snake Eater. Also, while I'm on the subject, I thought Rising was better than MGS4, though they aren't even the same genre, and I really REEEAAALLLY hate Otacon.

Reactions: Vladislav_Paizis
Legend of Dragoon is the best JRPG ever.

I prefer visual novels to most game genres (excluding fighters which are my favorites)

I don't know why but I don't like vertical shoot 'em ups, I adore the side scrolling ones though (like Gradius and the like)

Last edited:
The worst part of all? Despite claims that everything you do affects the ending, judging from our collective experience with the first action sequence, if you screw those two events up, they make you start it over with no consequences for fucking it up.
That actually kind of turns me away from heavy rain. I thought the whole point was that when you fucked up the character you were playing as is canonically killed, and you start to play as the next guy.

For me, video games are judged by them having gameplay. All games are interactive in differing ways, all games have "winstates" of differing types, and to say "games are supposed to be fun" is shallow to the emotionally charged games out there that tug at the heartstrings, or whatever other examples you can provide.

But the fact remains, without the QTE, Heavy Rain would just be an interactive movie. Literally, by removing just one thing, just one part of the gameplay. That's why I say it's "barely a game".
See, the problem is that you're interpreting minimal interactivity as being "barely a game." Yes, games need to be interactive in some way. But having less interactivity shouldn't make you less of a game. Interactivity is the building block of our medium, but using less of it doesn't make you less of a game, it just makes you a game that's less interactive than most. Games are more a binary thing, there's not really any iffy territory where it's less of a game. Yes, if you take away one thing it becomes an "interactive movie" (sounds like a game with less interaction to me.) Does that make it less of a game compared to one that requires you take 2, 3, or 4 things away to become a movie? It's such a useless distinction.

you trying to start a fight
because i don't start fights
i start parties
Mario Parties
let's go, nerd
OOOOOOOOOOHHHH!
YOU GONNA TAKE THAT SCRUBBY?
YOU GONNA TAKE THAT??

What I don't like is how they pretend that the limitations of their budget is something intentional. I would prefer if all the beep boop retro indie games would just come out and say "the game looks like this because we don't have a budget" as opposed to be claiming to be all hip and purposefully retro when we all know that if they could do something like Dragon's Crown, they'd spring for it.
This so much. I can't stand all these "ghetto on purpose" indie games.

Anyway, here's my pearls of rustling:
- I prefer 2D graphics to 3D graphics
- I don't give a flying monkey's backside about Nintendo's iconic IPs
- Suda51 has run out of ideas
- Tetsuya Nomura might just be THE worst character designer in the industry
- never played a FF game and never will. BONUS jimmy rustler - I'm nonetheless informed enough to say Kefka >>>>>>>>> Sephiroth
- Games by Ninja Theory are the most pretentious garbage ever made
- Borderlands is one of the ugliest things ever witnessed by this industry
- While I count P* among my favorite developers, IMHO they've been gradually dropping standards (glitches in MA, camera in MGRR)
- new Killer Instinct looks tackier than a porcelain dog
- I disliked MvC3 so much it nearly killed my over-decade old appreciation of fighting games
- I don't like crossover titles in general because IMHO they're creative cop-outs
- Despite all the shit they've done, I still support some of Capcom's titles
- I like SFIV's art style (but only for SFIV)
- I preferred vanilla Skullgirls' slower pace

2da.jpg

i think Tetsuya Nomura is a great artist and a cool dude
especially when we have motomu toriyama to compare him to

I hate the ATB battle system aside from Chrono Trigger

we probably need another video game crash

you trying to start a fight
because i don't start fights
i start parties
Mario Parties
let's go, nerd

You just mad cause you can't take the heat. I don't have the discipline to git gudder. Let's go, FT10 in Skullgirls. Ready when you are. COME AT ME BRO.

we probably need another video game crash

We definitely do though.

Let's see...

_ I believe the P:M devs made a far better job than Sakurai for Braw.... wait, thats probably a popular opinion.

ok...
I got nuthing

Reactions: keninblack
I don't think video games is a good medium to tell stories, and when they try it usually is at the cost of fun gameplay.

I don't think video games is a good medium to tell stories, and when they try it usually is at the cost of fun gameplay.

My favorite story telling in any video games are Odin Sphere and Majora's Mask.

Odin Sphere's gameplay was flawed but only because of their own laziness, had nothing to do with the story interfering.

I think Sakurai was right in toning down the competitive aspects of smash bros
The reason tripping is indefensible is because you have no option to turn it off. If it was just another random wacky item element that you could turn off like the series has always let you, that would be one thing. But Sakurai essentially decided to screw over people who enjoyed playing his game one way without giving any benefit to "casual" players.

Sakurai: "Oh what, you actually think that playing Smash for skill is really fun and exciting? You actually think players should have the freedom to play the game however they feel is most fun? Ha ha ha FUCK YOU *adds forced random element that can't be turned off and causes you to completely lose control of your character with no way of manipulating or controlling it*"

The sad thing is that Smash really is fun to play both ways, but with one of those play styles gone, Brawl is essentially half a game.

Last edited:
mmm gimme more gimme more of those delicious words that you're putting into my mouth mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm