• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Valentine Tech Thread: Small/Big Tips & Strategy YOU Notice?

So earlier I tried my burst bait string on a filia player. She bursted after scalpel super and air gregor'd out of the corner. Is there a special property that I'm missing with burst baiting with projectiles?

Hit Fillia faster.

She was still falling from the whiffed burst and I was on the ground waiting for her ass to come down. She bursted soon after the scalpels hit and cancelled into air super.

Recreate in training room and footage pls?

make sure scalpels hits before burst or misses, even projectiles count as a "touch" & won't grant you that bait.

I just want to throw this out here: if you cancel 214+LP+LK from any chain ending in s.HP, you get a reset that beats out 5f normals (e.g. Filia's s.LP). Ihmoen above suggested cancelling from the 1st or 2nd hit of s.HK, but this does more damage before the reset (950 vs 400/850 total).
Not earth shattering, but then again I'm not that great. Hope someone finds this useful.

Hey guys I need some help with my Valentine air game, and neutral game overall. What is her priority air move (fastest startup)? I am sure it is j.lp but then again I could be wrong. I would be very appreciative of some tips on beating out other characters air attacks (like Filia's j.lp). Also, why do some moves beat out her j.hk when I have it already out. I have made certain assumptions but peer feedback would help provide some insight. Overall neutral game tips would be helpful too since I play a mixed style (switching between rushdown and staying back). I usually play Valentine with Bellz and parasoul (Though I am trying my hand at learning every character more or less).

jump back j.hk is a good move to stuff people trying to rush in on you, j.mp is a really quick move that is its own hit confirm, especially good angle when cancelled into from an air dash, deadly cross is awesome, using an assist is also necessary. Her air mobility is really good so utilize her double jump and angled dash. If you need to get in quickly and you don't think your opponent is gonna push a button in the next 1 second you can do AD xx j.mk xx deadlycross.

j.hk has a disjointed hitbox so if you are getting hit then you are either at a bad angle or the active frame have already passed. It's not the perfect move but its still good for air to air when she needs it. My tip is to go to the match thread and watch duck play val. Just look at the buttons he uses and when he uses them.

Does anyone else (other than duckator) use fast fall in their reset game? Every time I see it in a match people get hit so I'm wondering if it is just being under utilized, so allow me to explain why it's so good.

When done right fast fall completely throw off the opponent, the only necessary set up is that you have passed the apex of your jump and you can cancel the first hit if h.mk and get a fast fall. They can try to react but at that point you have at least a 50/50 with low/throw not to mention using val's awesome ascending airdash mid fast fall to turn it into a crossup set up. You can also get a pseudo fast fall from cancelling j.mp because it is a change from a slower fall to a normal fall. It really forces your opponent to be onedge at times when they normally don't have to.

Please start using these in your val resets. I don't even need to post a video because you can incorporate them into any combo.

On an unrelated nte I've been messing arous with using superjump IAD j.lk as a crossup that comes out at a pretty weird angle, the spacing isn't very sensitive but i need to teat out its practicality in a match.

Edit: seriosuly fuck typing on my phone why are there so many typos.

Last edited:
My favourite fast fall reset is right at the start of my Val BnB.

Basically it is just after launch:

j.HP j.HK xx dash
j.LP j.MK(1) j.HP

It's super early, you only get about 3k damage or so, but Val needs some early resets now with how fast she builds stun.

Off this you can:

- go low
- go throw
- dash under (except on Double and I assume Big Band)
- rejump air throw (difficult on Double, not sure how it goes on BB)
- 44 xx 66 j.HP or similar, can cross up on some characters here. Best instant overhead for the situation in my opinion.

There's a slight mixup if you don't do the fast fall when they are flustered. j.LP j.MK(2) can cross under them, even Double, not sure about Big Band.

Fast fall is all about momentum, all you need to do for fast fall is to currently be falling and then do a j.mk(1) and cancel it into j.hp (where the j.hp is cancelled by landing or it whiffs). I think the move was designed in such a way that the second hit of the j.mk gives it all of the upward momentum, so canceling it makes you drop to the ground.

I've found that any mix up that involves j.lk is not very effective because everyone knows that's val's easy "its time to do some shit" button. If you want to get mileage off of it you pretty much have to get a good read on the opponent.

burst bait set up
If you burst any of the hits val can combo off of it and if you don't burst at all your in a hard knockdown state and val could use H savage bypass to get close and do a mix up. There is a small period of time between the second and third hit where the opponent can burst safely but it can be avoided if you don't do the 3rd hit since most people will burst the first or second.

Reactions: Hilary
has anyone else tried using the counter super as a burst bait? I think it still counts as getting hit since the dummy remains invulnerable in the recovery period and doesn't get frozen or injected. Lame.

has anyone else tried using the counter super as a burst bait? I think it still counts as getting hit since the dummy remains invulnerable in the recovery period and doesn't get frozen or injected. Lame.

Yeah using counter super on a burst counts as you touching the burst so they can block.

Just gonna leave this here in hopes that some better Val player can do it better and create something crazy with it.

Edit: was planning on annotating minor details, but youtube wants to act fugly.

Interesting tech however if you think about it, s.HP mash catching isn't really worth doing. If they don't mash then you lose your combo, it's a big gamble to take.

Meh, it's not like you die if you don't get the reset you want and they block a s.hp. From there you could go mortuary drop/call assist/dead cross.

Anyways, this is a thing and apparently intentionally is like that. Poison effects only go away if Val gets hit. Any other character and it won't work. So keep that in mind if they get stuck with a poison vial I guess.

So, random reset I found: opener, c.HP, j.LK, jHP, j.HK (1 hit), ADC, Throw. It's really sneaky, and you can DHC off of either Scalpels or EKG (EKG won't work on Double, though).

Tested on Peacock, Bella, Parasoul, and Double.

You can dhc into val's lvl 3 to avoid double's car super. I totally did this on accident and it worked then I got hype.

you can also EKG right into it if youre about 2/3 of the cars height in the air, youll get hit once and casually land like nothing happened.

You don't have to be in the air to EKG into the last 1-2 hits. Did it on the ground a couple of times, but it's distance specific. Also Val's counter super works against car, but nobody likes doing it.

I did berserker claws for chip, he did a counter car, then I mashed out a counter lvl 3 and everything worked out.

I just watched Duck's video on the double-jump combos, can someone explain how they work? Are air normals jump-cancelable and not just dash-cancelable? And if yes have they always been like that and I'm just a dummy?

no air normals are not jump cancelable. It's just certain moves like vial toss (not green) that have just enough hitstun and recovery that you can link a jump and a j.lp and keep the combo going. Timing is very strict though.

Airblock > PBGC > Flatline/Scalpels

It's my number one go-to for Painwheel since she doesn't have a special reversal of her own, but even with Val it's pretty cool. Not to mention really really nice for DHC Install or Cat-heads.

Most Vals I run into have a psylocke assist they use in similar situations, but I think it's cool to remember that Val has defensive teeth with meter.

Also, with the amount of Brass Knuckles assists that are inevitable at this point, it's cool to note that Bypass goes right through it since the armor still counts as a hit for Val's travel purposes. Not sure how useful it'll be in application, but neat nonetheless.

Last edited:
Well pbgc double jump is also viable vs stupid people who use fullscreen assists to get in. This is made rather irrelevant though because you can reaction super jump to make it whiff then get a really good punish. you need to be careful using horizontal assist vs valentine because she can stay in the air for as long as she needs to get into a position to punish them.

Val scrub question:

When practicing combos, there's situations where j.HP at the end of an air chain will actually connect at the bottom/rear part of j.HP's hitbox and fling the opponent from behind Val over her head and in front of her. It's as if it hits as a crossup mid-combo, and then they just fly overhead in front of her again.

Of course it happens when I'm practicing BnBs and I have no clue how/why. Any tips on reproducing this consistently? It seems like a great time to go for a 50/50 reset.

Def

definitely a hella good question...I've been working on this myself and I'll have to upload the footage I have, but I've noticed when I do a super jump (yes super jump) on the second air chain after the typical j.lp, you do j.mp and Draggggg it out. You should be at forehead or almost directly a over them. Do j.hp and shake n bake

that would explain how my scrubby ass found it lol, I was trying to find all kinds of Val stuff by super jumping and trying different air strings. I wanna say the one I found didn't require the superjump and had something to do with val's ADC giving her some extra altitude.

Last edited:
Apparently Val's DPS poison only goes away if you hit -Valentine- not just their point character. Pretty cool if you have Dead Cross set as assist, load up a vial or three, DHC out and then use the assist in a combo later.

Flatline > Install > Poison is kind of silly.

So this is more like something really dumb, but I do it sometimes if I'm feeling myself. Basically if you're like 1.5 characters away from the corner before the opponents next character is gonna jump in (after point gets beat), when you load a vial, it'll hit them actually. Now if they block you might wanna cancel into a super for a frame trap when they attack, but it's pretty funny sometimes.

Sorry if it was posted already.

Also, I don't do it much these days cuz I usually like saving meter for other occasions, but you can cancel vial load into super whenever you want and it's glorious to bait people to hit you when you just cancel on them loll.

Obviously won't be used much, but when you're ~kinda~ melee with a Peacock and she drops Lenny to zone you, use super lvl 3 and don't cancell the animation. Lenny will explode before it ends and she'll not be able to dodge the super because of Lenny's casting animation.

Obviously won't be used much, but when you're ~kinda~ melee with a Peacock and she drops Lenny to zone you, use super lvl 3 and don't cancell the animation. Lenny will explode before it ends and she'll not be able to dodge the super because of Lenny's casting animation.
Which one is Lenny...? The plane? Or walking one? Or the huge bomb?

Which one is Lenny...? The plane? Or walking one? Or the huge bomb?
Lonesome Lenny is the lvl 1 giant bomb.

And it's also this dog.
lonesome-lenny-movie-poster-1945-1020198073.jpg

Realistically though, Peacocks wouldn't be dropping the fat one on you unless to troll or to style on.
(e.g. lp Bang! xx Lenny, grab xx lvl3)
If you got in, chances are they're teleporting, upback j.hp, or mashing mp BANG!

She was pretty dumb, I guess.
Anyway, other than this case, I think it's disrespectful to not cancel the animation on :QCB::PP:.

I don't see how it's disrespectful since the game originally didn't give you the option to skip it. Now that they give you the option to skip it, it's like you have to skip it or you're being disrespectful? Out of all the lvl3s in the game, Val's lvl3 gives off the biggest impression that it is a lvl3 because of that cinematic. It's one of the reasons why I picked up the character.

Keeping it on topic though, vial toss xx lvl3. The life drain keeps going on even during the cinematic. More reason to be "disrespectful."

About the vial I agree, but for me the animation is pretty much "look at me dancing in your body". I mean, there's no reason to not cancel the animation besides the ones we said and they are pretty much specific.

About the disrespect thing, check this video. He teleports to the back of the enemy and instead of attacking him, he dances in front of him simply as a form of disrespect.