• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

What is Next for Skullgirls After Robo Fortune?

VictorVonGoomba

Reaction score
Double Valentine
Hey guys,

I am a new Skull Girls player, I picked it up during the 75% off Steam sale a little while back. I have absolutely loved it, beating all the story modes, and even trying my hand in a few online matches (even winning a few of them!). This is the first fighting game to really grab me in years.

So, all of that said, I am curious about the future of the franchise. I know there are two more DLC characters (Beowolf and Robo Fortune), but after that I have read conflicting things on where the franchise is headed in the future. I have read some people that expect more DLC characters to come out like Marie, Umbrella, or Black Dahlia. I have also read somewhere that the developer would like to go on to Skull Girls 2 after Robo Fortune. I have also read that the publisher is having legal problems of some kind. I realize that the answer to this question may not be entirely clear, but to those that have followed Skull Girls for a longer time than I have, what do think is most likely to be the future for the franchise after Robo Fortune?

There are no solid plans for DLC after Robo-Fortune. The publisher legal issues happened long ago, in 2013. They've been resolved.

I think they're still doing alternate voice packs (Republican Double, Valley Girl Painwheel, Drunk Announcer), but after that? Hopefully take a well-deserved vacation, I worry about them. After that? Who knows.

presumably, the next step after Robo is getting the PS4/Vita ports done.

anything beyond that is rather unclear.

If I had a PS4 or Vita I'd definitely buy Skullgirls again (the release is sometime in the Spring 2015, right?).

To expand on The Dave's point, Indie GoGo supporters accomplished stretch goals for alternate character/announcer voice packs (free DLC). They are:
  • "Republican Double" by Kaiji Tang
  • "Robo-Fortune" by Kimlinh Tran (cancelled when Robo-Fortune was set to be created)
  • Female Announcer by Cristina Vee
  • "Salty Parasoul" by Erin Fitzgerald
  • "Drunk Commentator" by Joshua Tomar
  • "Valley Girl Painwheel" by Danielle McRae
  • "Saxploitation" by Rich Brown
  • "Anime Peacock" by Sarah Williams
  • "Real Soviet Announcer" by MikeZ
That's a lot of work!

Ideally, a major publisher will notice Skullgirls' excellence and double triple all of Lab Zero's salaries and commission the continuation of the franchise.

That's the 100$ question really! Long story short : The team are exhausted and underpaid and althought the interest in their works is clearly there, it's more a matter of survival at this point! If a new publishing deal get made then a sequel will probably be developped in the far future, otherwise it will probably stop there.

The conflicting matter here is that on one side the project is of sky-high quality, but on the other hand it's unclear if it attract enough player for a Publisher to consider picking this up. That's why theory and opinion are going both ways about the future of the series.

In all cases, let's hope for the best!

If it's possible, I'm certain it'll happen. I doubt Lab Zero could bring the story of what Skullgirls has done and been up until now to a new publisher and get turned down. Fans ready to throw money at it (IGG, Evo Drive), tons of positive press, sales figures, good crew. If it's legally possible, I don't doubt that SG2 will become a reality.

Last edited:
Well I thought about this they could always add the 2 characters that didn't make it umbrella and Annie I belive robo fortune is releasing alongside the ps4/vita port. The fact that they are working on 2 characters at the same time and at an alarming rate of progress shows that lab zero is getting more money.

I've wanted to reply to a post like this for a while, honestly.

I agree with Zidiane, SG2 is a possibility. I don't know much about the economics of video games and how much money L0 has gotten from sales/merchandise, but they are a talented company with a lot of contacts to make stunning artwork and animation. While some people may not like the ART STYLE, per say, no one can argue that the animations themselves aren't something to marvel at. Every character has, well, character showcased in their animations, which is hard to come by nowadays. Hopefully L0 gets to work on other projects that do well so they can possibly come back for another Skullgirls.

Partially because I feel bad for the Skullgirls team in terms of Alex Ahad's story and vision never really being finished. If we're talking characters, Squigly and Big Band were added which all make sense within the current story of the game considering the first 8 characters, but the absence of characters like Umbrella and Black Dahlia is a shame because we could have never gotten a coherent story mode if L0 even wanted to try. Story mode as in an MK story mode, I still kind of consider the story mode we have now as an Arcade Mode because if you look at it from a story perspective more than one person can't obtain the Skullheart haha.

Also because I want SG to stay alive because there isn't a game like it on the market right now. Nothing can really replace it in my opinion, its systems and the way it plays is too unique.

Also Killer instinct added a story mode and characters after it's release so don't lose hope

Well I thought about this they could always add the 2 characters that didn't make it umbrella and Annie I belive robo fortune is releasing alongside the ps4/vita port. The fact that they are working on 2 characters at the same time and at an alarming rate of progress shows that lab zero is getting more money.
Our development process has always allowed for overlap in development cycles between characters, and I wouldn't say progress has been faster than normal. Saying that there's an influx of funds is purely speculative.

I'm gonna watch this thread...
... even though I doubt we'll get an answer out of it.

Basically my hope is that the PSV and PS4 ports make the team lot's of cash, so that they will have room for future projects but also make some proper money after months of being underpaid.

@Flotilla you'd know something like this: Obviously the prices of the Vita and PS4 version are unknown, but the team will be making a proper profit this time round, right? I mean they'll actually make cash for each copy sold as opposed to last time in which, if I remember correctly, they weren't seeing any of the profits until a few months ago.

So yeah we got Voice Packs and ports on the way after Robo-Fortune.
And wasn't there a rumor of adding taunts to the non-dlc characters? Sorry to feed a rumor, just musing.
At any rate after Robo's out the team will probably let us know what the future holds.

If it's possible, I'm certain it'll happen. I doubt Lab Zero could bring the story of what Skullgirls has done and been up until now to a new publisher and get turned down. Fans ready to throw money at it (IGG, Evo Drive), tons of positive press, sales figures, good crew. If it's legally possible, I don't doubt that SG2 will become a reality.
Is it legally possible? I thought Lab Zero lost the license to the Skullgirls IP or something.

All I want are b dahlia and umbrella so we can have a canon story, imo should have been the first after squiggly. It would be nice to have them as dlc so they can go into SG2 with a new story, if that happens.

Is it legally possible? I thought Lab Zero lost the license to the Skullgirls IP or something.
I don't know, I'm not a lawyer. And I'm not privy to all the inner workings of Lab Zero. Maybe someone has been working on using the IP and is under NDA and so they can't tell us until it is fully finalized and finished.

All I know is that I haven't seen anyone from Lab Zero give out that hella depressing speech that companies sometimes give when they're done, one that sounds like "R.Fortune will be the final character, and we'll all go our separate ways. Thank you for your support, and please support us on our next project as well."

Some of the things Mike has said recently have suggested that SG 2 isn't an impossibility, too (like, at one of the latest UGC's he told everyone that if SG2 happens, those new Super Jumps are staying and we'll have to deal with it). So while nothing seems certain or even likely, I'm not convinced we're seeing the end of SG quite yet.

Reactions: Dean[SG]
If autumn doesn't want to make an SG2 (they expressed interest in the past but who knows what condition they're in now), I hope someone hire Lab Zero to make a new fighting game. This genre needs new IP's.

If doing another IGG remains off the table, then ultimately the fate of Skullgirls rests in Autumn's hands. Assuming Autumn is financially stable, and wants to retain ownership of Skullgirls from here on out, we should probably anticipate one of three scenarios:
1) Autumn will re-invest in LabZero/Skullgirls once the IGG work is complete. It's understandable that Autumn currently wouldn't want to risk losing money on tasks that they didn't contract themselves, so they're simply waiting for LabZero to fulfill their obligations to their backers. If this outcome is possible, then it's likely someone at LabZero already knows about it (but pls don't ask them about it).

2) Autumn will let the IP rest. Either they'll do this so they can make future decisions on the property based on its long-term interest from consumers, or so they can more easily hide it in their vault when/if they decide to rebrand themselves.

3) Autumn will let the IP rest, BUT with preset plans to reboot the property for a new audience later. This might mean a new game, or even a completely new product. Playskool Go-Bots, Toxic Crusaders, and the recent Big Hero 6 film are some examples of where this could go, but we could obviously come up with many others.
Of course, if #1 doesn't happen, then I'm still just rooting for another IGG. Screw the haters that might call it "begging." Anyone who's gonna doubt LabZero's dedication to their work at this point, might as well just doubt the laws of gravity.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
If autumn doesn't want to make an SG2 (they expressed interest in the past but who knows what condition they're in now), I hope someone hire Lab Zero to make a new fighting game. This genre needs new IP's.
Legend tells of an ancient piece of technology that can upgrade a Bot's hardware... The Skull Chip. However, if her hardrive is crawling with viruses, the upgrade will be corrupted and the motherboard will be turned into an immensely powerful, fragmented being of destruction... The SkullBot. A new SkullBot has booted up; who will dismantle it and install the Skull Chip?
AHHHOHHHAHHHAHHHAHHH

@Mike_Z

Last edited:
What exactly are you trying to tell me with this post. I don't get it...

You're not familiar with IP ripoff seemingly! He's just saying an example to keep a similar IP without being it.

Current real example : mighty number 9 having nothing to do with megaman...

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss
After Umbrella marie and black dahlia come for the canon story or the sequel will end it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dean[SG] and dead
None of those people you said were Annie though

We need Annie more.

There should be a code to play as annie,

and its just a hitbox with no art or moves.

We need Annie more.

Im triying to think realistic, remember SG needs them to finish SG1 canon story.

(Offf topic) In the past I love the idea of include Annie, now piss me off because all you Annie post, nothing personal.

We need Annie more.
I know you're just doing God's work by spreading the gospel and making sure we don't forget Annie,

But Annie, Scythana and Isaac (and Eliza, technically) kinda strike me as the big players of 'Skullgirls 2,' I can see Annie being heavily featured on the cover and appearing in every story mode, and quickly becoming the character that exsisist in every franchise that makes fans go "I can't believe they weren't in the first one! They're staples of the franchise!"

So what I'm saying is, let's wait for the big leagues, Beowulf can have his nice little story mode to top off Skullgirls Encore...
But when Skullgirls 2 happens it'll be Annie's time.

Of course there's the possibility that there won't be a Skullgirls 2 and we'll never see Annie again.

Umbrella marie and black dahlia he must the canon story or the sequel will end it

We need Annie more.
Well annie isnt needed 4 the cannon story (annie is my 2nd favorite character) so the game dosent want her as much as those three but annie might be after (i know your joking) possably ;)
umbrella is better (in my opinion )

Reactions: Loki_SG
I'd really like them to get the canon story out with the SG 1 engine, if they have to do a re release like encore that would be fine. People are happy to pay again for the new guilty gear or street fighter every time, I'd be happy to pay again if we got the 3 remaining characters and a completed story mode, so that lab zero can put the game away, maybe work on a smaller low risk product to build some revenue, and then come back swinging with skullgirls 2.

I wouldn't mind funding another indiegogo, I realize that they worked for scraps last time but I would be happy with them asking for more money per character, especially if it was with the express intent to finish the canon story and add the final 3.

Annie is really cool but she shouldn't realistically take priority over the other 3 (beowulf and eliza shouldn't have either...)

In the past I love the idea of include Annie, now piss me off because all you Annie post, nothing personal.

Yeah, myself have nothing against Annie, the idea and look is pretty cool, but those Annie post is starting to become tiring.

Starting to?

It only took a year or so.

The hypocrisy is deep

ISAAC.

I NEED DOC BROWN REFERENCES ON THIS THING.

Something tells me not even Lab Zero knows what comes next XD
My guess based on how Skullgirls is doing is to either expand what they have now, via maybe a story expansion DLC thing that just adds a new canon story as well as some more side stories, or possibly go onto a different project, let Skullgirls rest a bit before coming back to it.