• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

What is Next for Skullgirls After Robo Fortune?

if Squigly is necessary for a canon ending (should it be made), it seems wrong to have a DLC character required for something so central to the game.

x: Crucify me now.

Blazblue wanna talk to you lol

I didn't even understand a fraction of that...

Squigly is a character required for the canon story mode. In order to unlock the true canon story, you'd have to buy her DLC then.

Squigly is a character required for the canon story mode. In order to unlock the true canon story, you'd have to buy her DLC then.

Um, I thought Canon was Umbrella/Dahlia/Marie...?

At any rate, I'd like to see something done with the setting and story, even if it's a pop-up book. Especially if it's a pop-up book. Though I'd also be interested in "Lab Zero's Relaxing Pizza Vacation." How many pizzas can the Lab Zero crew eat? And can they eat their pizzas with pizzazz? These are the important things we need to know!!!1!

Um, I thought Canon was Umbrella/Dahlia/Marie...?

At any rate, I'd like to see something done with the setting and story, even if it's a pop-up book. Especially if it's a pop-up book. Though I'd also be interested in "Lab Zero's Relaxing Pizza Vacation." How many pizzas can the Lab Zero crew eat? And can they eat their pizzas with pizzazz? These are the important things we need to know!!!1!

Squigly was slated to be in the original roster but Valentine was added in order to have a "baddie" if I remember correctly. This is why the fundraiser was about her first and not Marie/Dahlia/Umbrella. She was needed anyways.

I wonder if there'll be a new voice pack since R. Fortune is now her own character. One of the other characters could get one, personally, I'd think it would fun to give Beo' a "Dan Hibiki" voice. Maybe something along the lines of saying "You didn't win, you didn't win...", "I did it!!(sobbing)", etc. Salty Dan/Hercule (DBZ) attitude.

As for the future, I'd want SG grow in content more than a sequel. Simply build on the current foundation (like KI '13), unless MikeZ finds that the Z engine (currently) needed to become remade. Like what we've seen with Unreal Engine (1-4), Frostbite (1-3), etc... Mike mention in one of the Salty's for Robo Fortune that her moves(?) and lighting effects pushed what the engine can do, I assume by how much can on screen at a time. So yeah, publishers help build the game or pay for a sequel to add more content when the L0 is ready, or build on the Z Engine to run more of the possibly (but most likely) crazy characters and their fantastic abilities.

Good luck getting Kai all the way back to Cali.

Honestly if they had to decide what to do next with SG (after L0 let some time pass and got their vacation finally) I'd say the best thing could be to improve the engine, since it was stated that Eliza's blood mechanic couldn't be implemented because of some limitations (can't remember if it was with consoles or the engine), which could then lead to a sequel if they want to. Making other characters for and engine that can be improved and/or has limitations can be a risk, not to mention the limitations for DLC on consoles.

But first maybe they want to do that metroidvania game in which I'm VEEEERY interested but have little info about.

Well, for the engine, they explained in the past that they're at the limit memory-wise for all the sprites frame and sound. That's why the next time, if there is one, it will be on the newer generation only. I guess the blood mechanic wasn't possible because of that, Eliza already being a character bigger than the average. The engine itself seeems rock solid as far as i know!

Reactions: Wenzel
But first maybe they want to do that metroidvania game in which I'm VEEEERY interested but have little info about.

What other game?

It's something I've heard here on SH but I got no detail about it, apart that it might have to do something with Alex Ahad's "Vulcan Heel". I'd be happy if anybody could correct me on any of it.

It's something I've heard here on SH but I got no detail about it, apart that it might have to do something with Alex Ahad's "Vulcan Heel". I'd be happy if anybody could correct me on any of it.
Was it called "Black Torch"? I remember some kind of game or online comic about a post-nuclear world where the main character was a cockroach (with more human proportions, of course).

Was it called "Black Torch"? I remember some kind of game or online comic about a post-nuclear world where the main character was a cockroach (with more human proportions, of course).
black torch is a comic book anthology thing which had a couple of the Skullgirls art team be a part of, I dont think it was a thing owned by Lab Zero

Reactions: Wenzel
Do you suppose even if Umbrella/B. Dahlia/Marie never become playable and/or we never get a Skullgirls 2 we will still somehow find out what the canon story is? Like maybe in a comic book or something? Or would we just be left hanging forever, never actually learning how Skullgirls ends or what really becomes of the characters? The thought of never knowing the "true" plot of my fave video game is worrying! :0

in my opinion, if they were to make more DLC, it would be awesome if they made special color palette packs like they did back in SDE

in my opinion, if they were to make more DLC, it would be awesome if they made special color palette packs like they did back in SDE
Well even if it's just palettes that would require money to pay the uhh... paletteers? Still, I don't know if I'd pay for a palette pack.

Would depend on what the palettes would be for me to buy.

That would be cool if they were more character based pallettes and such. What if the developers are reading this now.
please read this mighty overlords!

Reactions: SolemnSiren
If autumn doesn't want to make an SG2 (they expressed interest in the past but who knows what condition they're in now), I hope someone hire Lab Zero to make a new fighting game. This genre needs new IP's.

Lab Zero could theoretically buy the IP back, if fans were willing to pay the difference.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure where I'd like to see the franchise go. On the one hand, Skullgirls getting constantly updated and re-released is getting a bit tiresome, considering the game's been out for years now and only just got what's likely to be it's final, definitive edition a paltry two months ago. On the other hand, a sequel that was more or less just the game as it is now plus the characters required for the true story mode, along with the true story mode itself, wouldn't be much different then if they just kept adding in characters plus the story mode eventually.

Either way though, I want that frickin' story mode. Whether through another game, or a comic book/graphic novel series. I really like the world the team that Lab Zero's built thus far, and am dying to see more of it. They've dropped some pretty intriguing hints throughout the stories we've seen in the game so far.

Reactions: Todpole