• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Steam - Windows 60fps problem? Specs inside

acfan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Steam
acfan
PSN
acfan17
Painwheel Double Big Band
Hello!
Ever since the latest patch, or perhaps even earlier I've been unable to run Skullgirls in a constant 60 frames fullscreen at 1920x1080 unless I turn off 3d backgrounds. This doesn't bother me per se but I am curious as to if it's my machine that's causing these problems or something else.
Now I have a computer that I built in 2012 that should be able to run Skullgirls flawlessly. My specs are as follows-
i5 2500k
8gb RAM
gtx 770
Any ideas on what could be up? I can run SF5 on high at 60 constant. @Mike_Z

EDIT: i might be completely wrong in my question, will update soon

Last edited:
No, borderless window. It might run 60 on fullscreen but I'm currently away from my machine. Will test tonight.

EDIT: after testing in fullscreen with 3d backgrounds on skullgirls runs 60fps constant. it must have something to do with borderless window but i don't know how any of that works.

Last edited:
Also have this issue, which going in fullscreen fixes. Very odd since my Radeon HD 5770 ran the game in fullscreen no border just fine, but my gtx 750 Ti SC gets frame drops unless I set it to fullscreen, despite being a more powerful GPU.

!snark
Mike is this a real issue yet or just me :^)

I run GTX660, so we all have Nvidia cards if that helps.

4cfdeae1c2.jpg

0ac84f7a93.png

Last edited:
No, borderless window.
"Borderless window" means "a window the size of the desktop" rather than "get rid of the desktop and make the game really full screen", FYI.
So the correct answer was "yes". :^P

I run GTX660, so we all have Nvidia cards if that helps.
It might. When was the last time you updated your drivers?

I'll look into it - the code has changed a lot, but theoretically it's only supposed to have changed for PS4 and Vita.

Mike is this a real issue yet or just me :^)
Still just you. :^)

"Borderless window" means "a window the size of the desktop" rather than "get rid of the desktop and make the game really full screen", FYI.
So the correct answer was "yes". :^P

It might. When was the last time you updated your drivers?

I'll look into it - the code has changed a lot, but theoretically it's only supposed to have changed for PS4 and Vita.

Still just you. :^)
I've updated and downgraded my drivers recently with no immediate change but I need to do more testing.

I'm a little late, but I also have this problem in borderless window/windowed mode. Setting priority of Skullgirls.exe to "High" in Task Manager helps reduce the frequency of the frame drops I noticed, but my game still occasionally drops to 35fps then goes back up to 60fps every few seconds, even while not streaming while OBS is closed.

My specs are:
  • AMD Vishera FX-8350 @ 4.2 GHz
  • Radeon R9 280X 3GB Vram
  • 16 GB DDR3 RAM
From what I've noticed it seems to happen equally on AMD/Nvidia cards.

Yeah, atm borderless and windowed are just not an option for playing.

Can people go test their versions of the game currently in windowed mode and borderless fullscreen and see if they are getting drops if they were getting drops previously.

My drops and Darkkv's drops have vanished mysteriously.

Please post here again if you are having frame drops.

Well I recently played in windowed mode and I had no such frame drop problems.

My issue is a bit ambiguous because I actually don't have a graphics card at all in my rig right now. I run the game windowed at 720p with 3d backgrounds and it keeps a constant 60 fps regardless of what's on the screen, but occasionally (something like 5% of the time) it begins lagging real hard for anywhere between 5 to 30 seconds straight. I don't have any other programs running besides steam, so it doesn't seem like some app is randomly launching in the background and causing the lag, but I could be wrong.
Has anybody else tried removing their graphics card to see if the problem persists?

Try the latest build as of this post. I MAY have done something, but maybe it doesn't help...?

Nothing different :(

Came here to to say I have the problem too. Haven't played since mid April, started yesterday again and the fps counter gets too low often. I've tried switching to fullscreen but no relief. Would try turning background to 2D if it wasn't done since my day 1.

I play in window mode and don't get any (noticeable) frame drops. I do however, get frame drops (and input lag) during the trial mode, though only when the first red paint slash comes on screen. I have yet to try if this still occurs on fullscreen. I'll test both that and the window mode on the latest build a bit later.

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 360
CPU: AMD FX-8800P Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G
RAM: 16 gigs

Last edited:
Do you know when it started?

I mean honestly yours sounds like a not-SG problem...

Mine started after I upgraded my GPU so yeah that's very possible.

After initial testing the game runs fine at 60 frames in borderless window but I'll keep seeing if it holds stable for a few more days.
Thanks Mike.

Reactions: Mr Peck
GPU: GeForce GT 650M
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
RAM: 8 GB

I believe that the frame drop problem started around last week for me.

i too have this problem.

Game is unplayable against half of Europe for me at this point
The other half is fine, QuickMatch never had an issue (even when I run into the same guys who are unplayable in Lobbies),
But Lobbies with half of Europe's players feel like 200ms+ despite showing sweet 50s in the Lobby.
Sometimes it's terrible all game, sometimes it's sweet for most of the game with random 10s periods of 15 FPS
People outside Europe also seem to be largely fine, I played some random Sets with some guys and the connection never felt any worse than it used to

There is one guy in EU who lags with nobody except me, who actually shows 250ms in the Lobby (and the games feel more like 300ms+ ones)

At some point I tried going from Windowed to Fullscreen, made the next 3 games smooth but then it came back

Today my connection was very murky and eg I pinged 120 to Google, showed 120ms in Lobby with an EU player, we tried anyway, played fine (well, like USE connection, but good enough)
Half an hour later my connection had calmed down (pinging ~16 to Google as per usual), but the games ended up being 300ms+ ones

Don't know what any of this is about, but yeah I don't think it's just me

E: I don't have any issues in Training Mode, so it's some kind of connection question .. is this even the real place then

Last edited:
Just wanted to add that sometimes game runs at stable framerate (like it used to), but most of time it's unplayble regardless of whether I play against someone or practice at training room.

I found that the game runs perfectly when i have my charger plugged in, but un plugged i drop frames. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

You might want to change your laptop's power plan? It could be throttling your CPU/GPU to save battery life. On my last laptop, it did something similar by default so Windows 7's Aero would instantly disappear upon unplugging it from the wall.

You might want to change your laptop's power plan? It could be throttling your CPU/GPU to save battery life. On my last laptop, it did something similar by default so Windows 7's Aero would instantly disappear upon unplugging it from the wall.
i changed it to primarily AC use it didn't really work. I still get frame drops when i play with out my charger.

NO, but before i do could running my PC in high performance for hours over work my computer?

NO, but before i do could running my PC in high performance for hours over work my computer?
It won't overwork your computer, but it will drain your battery faster.
That's why it goes into lower power settings by default when on battery. If you want it to use high performance when on battery you have to tell it to do that. :^)