• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Project Annie...In Motion!

Yeah, nobody's got the popularity levels going as high as The Stars.

How did I forget about this? This stuff is awesome!
Alex seemed to make a character that can thrives as both a defensive character or an offensive one and be incredibly viable in both. thats something I could go for.

Except for two specific characters

*braces for impact*

I think I should make something clear before we continue.

Despite my recent attention to Annie, despite what my current avatar suggests, despite my frequent posting here,
MY FAVORITE SKULLGIRLS CHARACTER IS STILL BEOWULF. Nothing will ever change that.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapnWTF and DDB
Don't worry, Zen. You'll come to learn the stars' powers soon enough.

Reactions: Rellek
And then they shall be brutally murdered, and we'll end up asleep as robo-mummies on distant pla...

Oh wait. Wrong game.

Don't worry, Zen. You'll come to learn the stars' powers soon enough.
I guess I have to be careful around you, it seems that despite our alliance the Star Cruisers would readily consume The Wulf Pack if given the chance.

Reactions: DDB
I think it would be interesting for Annie to exhibit various styles of swordplay that come together to form her own, personal style. She's so old and experienced that I would expect her to take influence from many cultures and individuals. While the nature of her sword and personality will have a heavy influence on how she fights, I could see her having some interesting moves that pull from various styles.

Also I could see her doing a chiburi, perhaps something more aggressive like a quick swipe towards the ground. Alternatively, I thought it would be cool if (either for a move or win pose) she aggressively threw her sword into the ground and crossed her arms.

Reactions: DDB and Kai
well considering Annie has had many weapons over the years, I imagine she's had plenty of fighting styles
but I think something that accentuates her current weapon would work best

Alternatively, I thought it would be cool if (either for a move or win pose) she aggressively threw her sword into the ground and crossed her arms.
That's a given man, I'll deep fry my work boots and eat them if she doesn't have that.

Reactions: Kai
bonus points for it happening over your opponent's dead body

OH MY GOD ANNIE DESPERATELY NEEDS A SCARF TO BLOW IN THE WIND.
F9o6Ldz.gif

That's what we're saving for Pink Annie.

OH MY GOD ANNIE DESPERATELY NEEDS A SCARF TO BLOW IN THE WIND.
F9o6Ldz.gif

This is exactly what I was thinking. I can't believe I forgot that Ike had this taunt.

now if only someone had the perfect idea for that
Sagan forms her scarf, obviously
If only....

because there totally isnt a character thats say, pink, that has a scarf for with which to flow in the wind.

nope.

none at all.

cant think of a single one.

anyone got any move ideas inspired by guts? been a while since i catched up (hurry the fuck up miura, you finished gigantomakhia, stop playing idolm@ster and get back to work)

anyone got any move ideas inspired by guts?
Sliding on knees with the sword held sideways.
Hitting with the sword really hard.
Sword impale into over-the-shoulder throw.
Somersault into vertical sword slam.
Hitting with the sword really really hard.

Overall, gotta agree with Sanoblaze and Denizen. The kenjutsu stuff doesn't suit Annie at all. Would be best to leave that for Regina.
Bearing in mind that the point of the character is "subversion", having her prancing around with twirly fancy moves would be the exact opposite of that. As Bucky Barkley suggested, keeping it brütal and simple is the way to go. If fancy moves are a must, then I guess Soulcalibur's Siegfried would be one to watch. Taking a peek at Dragon's Dogma's Fighter and Warrior classes wouldn't hurt either.
If you want to see lots of moves by a little girl carrying a big ass swordI can't think of a better example than Naotora. (Fun starts at 02:45.)

Also kinda dawned on me that the original discussion (the idle stance) might have its conclusion by simply looking at the IGG illustration.
20130225220506-DLC_Annie.png

Some of these artworks like Taliesin, Ottomo, Eliza, Beowulf and pretty much all of the Egrets have a distinctively sketchy look while Annie's has a clearly polished, in-game model-like appearance (as was the case of the priority line besides Dahlia and most of the Lab 8 characters).

As for the sword toss pose, I certainly agree they should go for it. If it's to copy Sol's idle/walk cycle/signature move, might as well go all out and copy the win pose as well. *shrug*

Oh...hey! This isn't my stop.

So you're telling me Alex spent more time on Annie than on Eliza?

Reactions: DDB
A minor update.^^

Ended up moving some frames around and redoing a bunch of things. The startup frames should look more fluid now, compared to before, where I put Alex's first key frame as the first frame and animated her pulling back before moving forward for the slice attack. His keyframe is now the 3rd frame. Oh, and Annie's hair is confusing to draw at different angles.^^;

I also realized I don't have a jump idle to return the pose to. I'll just go with whichever jump animation you do, Skullmageddon, and then I'll adjust this one accordingly.

Here's the first animation I posted earlier for comparison:
wip_annie_saturn_slash_by_southpawper-d799zq3.gif

Animation attempt #1 Yuck! I don't know how managed to mess it up. I should have followed the notes.^^;
wip2_fail_annie_saturn_slash_by_southpawper-d79mw10.gif

Attempt #2 This time I tried to stay on track after I rearranged the sketch frames. Startup looks much better now IMO.
wip2annie_saturn_slash_by_southpawper-d79mw52.gif

So you're telling me Alex spent more time on Annie than on Eliza?
Well, Annie is one of Alex's earliest characters, so it makes sense.

What if

What if Annie is the original Skullgirls character

I wish I could find this fight from kamen rider w forever where this guy is fighting with this heavy sword and I wish Annie could pull this with her sword like its THAT heavy.

Artists tend to exaggerate the size of Annie's sword, it doesn't look that heavy at all.

It's still at least half her size. That's a pretty hefty sword in comparison to her.

It's still at least half her size. That's a pretty hefty sword in comparison to her.
DDB aren't most longswords half a person's size?

Actually this brings up a good question, exactly how tall is Annie?

Artists tend to exaggerate the size of Annie's sword, it doesn't look that heavy at all.

It's actually really, REALLY, EXTREMELY, VERY heavy. But only Annie has the strength to wield it.

Or it could be like Marvel's Mjolnir or even Excalibur, where only those worthy are able to use it, let alone lift it. In this case I could imagine Parasoul picking it up and tossing it to Annie during a battle, similar to how Captain America has done in the past for Thor's hammer.

DDB aren't most longswords half a person's size?

Sorta- They aren't normally that wide or thick, though.

A little taller than Umbrella, Persona said... So if we go by this
CaButler4f8b587db263c.jpg

She's probably about Peacock's height or taller.

I'm estimating somewhere in between the range of Squigly and Painwheel.

Sorta- They aren't normally that wide or thick, though.
I still think that Annie's sword wouldn't be that tough to swing around. In fact I bet it's magically augmented to be virtually weightless, this is a magic space sword we're talking about.

Reactions: CrackedMarbles
I still think that Annie's sword wouldn't be that tough to swing around. In fact I bet it's magically augmented to be virtually weightless, this is a magic space sword we're talking about.
By the same logic, it could cover up entire dimensions in size and weight. Or something.

By the same logic, it could cover up entire dimensions in size and weight. Or something.
Let's not take it that far.

Are you calling Annie fat

Reactions: SmashBlade
Here's how I see it. The point of making it look heavy wouldn't so much be to emphasize its size or shape, but rather to accentuate the impact and strength behind her moves. The sword itself isn't that big, but relative to her it's rather large. Regardless of whether or not it's heavy to her, I think it would be good for it to appear as though it carries a decent amount of wait so that the impact of her moves, while fast, would also feel very strong.

Annie's probably got mad muscles.