• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Project Annie...In Motion!

skullmageddon's doing more than we are, that's for sure

skullmageddon's doing more than we are, that's for sure

Too bad I've been busy doing this instead.

MegamAnnie.jpg

Skullmageddon, you should race the skullgirls animation team. Do all of Annie's animations before they finish Eliza. You can do it. I believe in you.

(And Pkstoopkid for his lazy shading and color map :PUN:) It's good to see someone meet the demands of Annie fans

You're right, you deserve props: "PKStoop and his godlike lazy shading too."

Reactions: PKStoopKid and DDB
SKULLMAGEDDON. YOU BEAUTIFUL MAN.

Reactions: Skullmageddon
Heyoooo

So I haven't had much time to do anything Annie related and I'll probs be busy all week, but because I'm one persistent sonofabitch I took a moment to do some quick sketches. They're just roughs again, but I'm trying not too spend too much of my time on this stuff right now so I'll just share things as they are and you guys can have fun critiquing all you like :)

AnnieAltIdleCompare2.jpg

Again, please feel free to give any feedback you can think of. Just keep in mind that if it's something related to her proportions, details, or the quality of the line-work then I probably already know and simply intend to fix it when I do the final piece.

p.s. These are both based on references provided by Night Phyre (thanks again for the detailed images).

I think they look somewhat awkward with posing, although the first one does look like a blocking pose

It's probably because she's holding Sagan in the other hand, it makes it look a bit strange. For the second one, I'd have her bend her knees a bit more.

Good work as always! c:

p.s. These are both based on references provided by Night Phyre (thanks again for the detailed images).
Blade edge goes the other way these :P

I think these are pretty awesome! Very impressive.

For the second one, I'd have her bend her knees a bit more.
I agree. Will give her a more, "ready-to-strike," quality.

Blade edge goes the other way these :P

I think these are pretty awesome! Very impressive.

I agree. Will give her a more, "ready-to-strike," quality.

Heheh I know, I honestly just got lazy and didn't want to redraw the sword (simply inverting the sword looks worse than just making it face the wrong way) and I'll just fix it later.

I think they look somewhat awkward with posing, although the first one does look like a blocking pose

It's probably because she's holding Sagan in the other hand, it makes it look a bit strange. For the second one, I'd have her bend her knees a bit more.

Good work as always! c:

I agree, I'm not really a fan of the first one because it's just an awkward pose all around. And yeah, I'll make the one on the right bend more at the knees :)

As someone mentioned earlier, the fist one looks like it could be a blocking animation but the second one looks more attack ready. I would just use the first one towards a blocking animation maybe turn Sagan around so Annie keeps her eye on the opponent

I think those stances look awkward, uncharacteristic, and I don't think Annie will fight anything like that.
Regardless I'm just happy that there are people like @Skullmageddon who are willing to use their artistic talents so generously for such a small fan base. Annie doesn't have a guaranteed spot on the roster yet she still gets a massive amount of attention here on the forums, possibly even more than a guaranteed character like Beowulf.
It really warms heart to see all of this.

Last edited:
... HEY WULFMAN, WHO YOU CALLIN' A SMALL FANBASE?

Reactions: Denizen
DDB alone is enough fanbase for 10 characters and they're all annie

Reactions: DDB
I think those stances look awkward, uncharacteristic, and I don't think Annie will fight anything like that.
Regardless I'm just happy that there are people like @Skullmageddon who are willing to use their artistic talents so generously for such a small fan base. Annie doesn't have a guaranteed spot on the roster yet she still get's a massive amount of attention here on the forums, possibly even more than a guaranteed character like Beowulf.
It really warms heart to see all of this.

Of the two most recent iterations I prefer the one on the right, though I agree with you that they both seem awkward and perhaps somewhat uncharacteristic. I think the one on the right could work well if I put a little bit of time into exacting the pose, but of all the stances I've drawn I still like the one with her sword over her shoulder the most (in particular the one with the sword in the arm that's away from the opponent).

I can only assume certain details about her character considering what little information we have about her, but I've always imagined that she might act rather casual (if not arrogant) during battle. Her attacks would be strong and with precision due to her experience as a warrior, but at the same time her mannerisms and attitude would be completely opposite, even during a battle. I just can't imagine that a veteran such as herself, after who knows how many years, would still act so stern and rigid during combat.

Am I the only one who believes Annie has one of the best character designs..... :PUN:

Of the two most recent iterations I prefer the one on the right, though I agree with you that they both seem awkward and perhaps somewhat uncharacteristic. I think the one on the right could work well if I put a little bit of time into exacting the pose, but of all the stances I've drawn I still like the one with her sword over her shoulder the most (in particular the one with the sword in the arm that's away from the opponent).

I can only assume certain details about her character considering what little information we have about her, but I've always imagined that she might act rather casual (if not arrogant) during battle. Her attacks would be strong and with precision due to her experience as a warrior, but at the same time her mannerisms and attitude would be completely opposite, even during a battle. I just can't imagine that a veteran such as herself, after who knows how many years, would still act so stern and rigid during combat.

Heh.. I imagine her battle intro would involve her being surrounded by her fans(little girls and grown up dudes wearing Annie of the stars show and skullheart forums shirts) trying to get her autograph, she giving the last autograph to the air and everybody following and trying to catch it ..leaving the screen, quickly changing her stance to a proper ready to battle one.

That is how I wish things would be if she was an actual character.

Am I the only one who believes Annie has one of the best character designs..... :PUN:
You wanna encourage me don't you?

Reactions: loonieboy9697
So I finally got back to working on some Annie stuff today and my Wacom tablet broke on me...again... :(

Somebody buy me a new one :)

The Annie Curse in motion.

The Annie Curse in motion.
No. There shall not be a curse for Annie
So I finally got back to working on some Annie stuff today and my Wacom tablet broke on me...again... :(

Somebody buy me a new one :)
How much? I probably won't have the money to buy it anyway lol

the small wacoms are like $80. at least mine was $80.

I was planning on ordering a Cintiq 13HD sometime soon. Now that both of my tablets are broken I'll probs just order it tomorrow and borrow my friend's tablet until it shows up. He doesn't use his anyways :P

oh we have a professional here :) only professionals get the cintiq. that thing can set you back like $1000.

oh we have a professional here :) only professionals get the cintiq. that thing can set you back like $1000.

Googles Cintiq 13HD ... it looks professional.

I'm just gonna throw this over here.....

When's Annie? you might ask.. the answer is here!:
Aparently Annie is confirmed for Skullgirls, exclusive footage of unfinished Annie npc!!!
Men..look at her gaze, ready to jump into battle at any minute!
annie_in_motion_final_by_karlaaldana-d76o9jf.gif

6y2gx_by_karlaaldana-d76omv5.gif

If by pure curiosity you want to know how did I get this...click the SPOILER..sorry, this might destroy your hopes and dreams.
Spoiler.. This is not an actual lab zero official work in progress Annie npc...

All credit for the linework and animation goes to @Skullmagedon !, all I did was shorten his amazing Annie idle animation and apply some base coloring to the frames; which I must say were pretty damn difficult since his animated gif did not had transparent frames (for obvious reasons).

Also.. I didn't have enough time to make the shading layer on each frame so.. there's that; I might add them on the future.

If you want to feel like a true lab zero employee you can also use this cardboard cut out of Annie, and paste it in your most beloved screenshot stage!!!
annie_in_motion_question_mark_test_1_by_karlaaldana-d76o9j0.gif

(Sorry if is all jacked up, I don't know how to export transparent gifs cleanly)

Last edited:
Awwwwww Yeah, we Annie now :)

If you're interested in doing the coloring and shading work, I can give you a better format to work with. I can selectively choose the frames, touch up certain aspects of the animation so it works better at a lower frame rate, and hand them off to you in a format that would be easier to do the coloring and shading work in. Or if you're not interested then that's fine too :P

Awwwwww Yeah, we Annie now :)

If you're interested in doing the coloring and shading work, I can give you a better format to work with. I can selectively choose the frames, touch up certain aspects of the animation so it works better at a lower frame rate, and hand them off to you in a format that would be easier to do the coloring and shading work in. Or if you're not interested then that's fine too :P

Heh.. that would be an great!
I feel like part of a team now..

Well here's another shot at establishing a proper idle stance. The idle is on the left side, while the right side illustrates some possibilities for how her run, s.lp, and s.mp might look. I just put those there to illustrate how she could transition into various things from her idle stance. I was going to sketch out a sequence for her s.hp as well as some other moves, but I got so caught up in thinking about new ideas for her play-style that I forgot that all I'm trying to do is establish an idle and running animation. But I digress...

AnnieAltIdleCompare3.jpg

I'm not going to comment on my decision making this time. I'll simply let you guys respond however you like and explain my reasoning whenever necessary.