• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

ArcSys takes down Skullgirls videos on YouTube, gives strikes

Goodbye18000

Let's Player / Sonic Show Member / Canadian
Reaction score
Website
www.thesonicshow.org
Steam
Goodbye18000
PSN
Goodbye18000
Big Band Fukua
So I've been uploading Skullgirls videos for a while, with zero copyright garbage from LabZero because they're COOL DUDES. But today, I was going to go to bed when suddenly I recieved TWO YOUTUBE COPYRIGHT STRIKES on Skullgirls videos. Most of the Japanese videos were removed, but ALSO SOME ENGLISH ONES. Not only that, but since these are STRIKES I lost all my YouTube privledges until NEXT NOVEMEMBER.

So I'm a little mad. I doubt someone from LabZero could help with this, knowing how tough communicating with third parties is, but man, I need some advice on what to even do. It's the Japanese branch of ArcSys that took the videos down - I doubt writing back IN ENGLISH will help.

What? Why would they take down some of the English ones, as well the Japanese ones? I am more confused on the English ones, to be honest. I hope I don't get strikes for the Story Modes, combos, and Survival attempts I have done. I am at a loss at what to do if that happened besides contacting ArcSys. Sorry to hear about what happened, man. :(

I've sent in counter-notifications for the English ones as they legally cannot take them down, but the others, they are sadly in the legal right to. That said, apparently this happened to a bunch of BlazBlue fans who uploaded story mode footage as well - they said they were able to contact them to remove the strikes with the stipulation of "no story mode videos".

I just want my channel back - if they sent a warning I would have gladly taken the videos down.

Wow, that sucks man. Some of these companies are getting pretty trigger happy with the strikes. I can understand their position, of course, but what's sad is a lot of these strikes are probably just coming from lawyers paid to run down the list of popular vids without caring about context or even their company's past history with a channel. It'll probably be just a matter of months before the next Toei wave knocks TFS down again.

I will see if we can get them not to do this. No promises...

And I already made a comment about it. This is just scary because I uploaded footage of the US version of Skullgirls because I want to support you guys. The version you guys made which I enjoy.

In regards to ASW, I was hit by it a month ago and I had no choice but to remove all things related to their content which is what I did. But the fact that it now spreads to Skullgirls despite the fact that they only publish the game in Japan but not own the game.

All I can say... is seriously. It's a reason why I don't do any of their games ever again.

I will see if we can get them not to do this. No promises...

Thanks Mike. I've emailed t_tanaka from ArcSys on recommendation by @DestinyDecade regarding it, so hopefully it's seen. I didn't think they would have the power to do remove videos from games they just published but they did - all I can do is wait now.

Reactions: DestinyDecade
Thanks Mike. I've emailed t_tanaka from ArcSys on recommendation by @DestinyDecade regarding it, so hopefully it's seen. I didn't think they would have the power to do remove videos from games they just published but they did - all I can do is wait now.

They better not do this to the US version because if they do, I'll be pissed. As a victim of this, I don't like it one bit.

I mean, I'll certainly say publicly: neither Lab Zero nor Autumn cares what Skullgirls videos you put up. We never have, we never will.

However, I don't know if we can make Arc stop doing this, or if we can only ask, because they did publish the JP version. So far, we are asking.

I mean, I'll certainly say publicly: neither Lab Zero nor Autumn cares what Skullgirls videos you put up. We never have, we never will.

However, I don't know if we can make Arc stop doing this, or if we can only ask, because they did publish the JP version. So far, we are asking.

At least its good enough because you do appreciate the fans that do upload stuff involving Skullgirls. A reason why I respect you guys in high regard.

Wow, that sucks man. Some of these companies are getting pretty trigger happy with the strikes.
ASW has been doing this for a while, though. Remember the thing with the hitbox and frame data for UNIEL?

ASW has been doing this for a while, though. Remember the thing with the hitbox and frame data for UNIEL?

I remember that. Uncool.

Yep. I'm mainly thinking back a few years, to around when Nintendo felt bold enough to start that initial policy of theirs, but really my mind reflects on Post-Google Youtube in general. I'm not against a company's general ability to strike a video, but over the years it appears that smaller channels have just become more powerless to defend themselves when these things happen.

Yeah I could care less about Copyright claims - oh well I can't make money on a vid, whoop dee doo.

What I do care about is the fact I can't upload videos longer than 15 min (I do RPG videos), monetize at ALL and can't even make unlisted videos.

And thanks Mike, I appreciate it.

It's official - ArcSys sent me a third Copyright strike on my channel for FULLY ENGLISH SKULLGIRLS VIDEOS and I have a week before my entire channel is deleted.

I'm pissed right now - beyond pissed. These were ENGLISH VIDEOS of Skullgirls that were taken down.

Ok, now that really doesn't make any sense. Why are they adamant about the English versions and want them taken down?

I really hope that other people are not getting hit like this else where...

I HOPE I'M NOT GOING TO GET HIT...

*worried*

WTF, and you've been posting those Skullgirls videos since before 2nd Encore! Did these people not even have to look at the freakin' dates? That was clear proof that they had no legal grounds for making that strike, yet there's no screening process to ping them for it. That's just ridiculous.

WTF, and you've been posting those Skullgirls videos since before 2nd Encore! Did these people not even have to look at the freakin' dates? That was clear proof that they had no legal grounds for making that strike, yet there's no screening process to ping them for it. That's just ridiculous.

That's because no real human looks at the claim made. It's all automated robots. Youtube is a Guilty until proven innocent system.

Actually I checked - it says these were all manually selected by ArcSys. It wasn't automated. They took these down specifically themselves.

I've attempted to contact them every way possible, and contact YouTube every way possible, but not one has even replied.

6 years of work destroyed because of a Japanese businessmen thinking my videos are "harming sales". Amazing. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't in one of the darkest places I've ever been right now.

It's official - ArcSys sent me a third Copyright strike on my channel for FULLY ENGLISH SKULLGIRLS VIDEOS and I have a week before my entire channel is deleted.

I'm pissed right now - beyond pissed. These were ENGLISH VIDEOS of Skullgirls that were taken down.

This is disgusting. I propose we boycott Arc System Works and all products and companies they associate themselves with!

I didn't mean the people that puts the claims. I meant the system that reviews them. Regardless there is still a system that "reviews" the claims.

Regardless I am sorry that happened to you. This is why I kinda am distancing myself from Arc System works. Skullheart box from japan is probably my last purchase from them because they nickle and dime the customer so much with their constant updates and they do unfair things like this.

They are really pushing my buttons.

Good news: I have been contacted by Takashi of ArcSys and he says he will remove the strikes if I remove all the Skullgirls videos from my channel. He notes that any more repeat offenses will not be allowed to have them removed again if I they hit me again.

So basically all my Skullgirls videos are private, as they've hit English language ones as well which I feel is absolute garbage. Be warned, friends. ArcSys can ruin your channel if not treated carefully.

Eh, not so much good news, but fair to middling I guess. At least you can get your channel back for now. Autumn really needs to step in and sort this out though, because ArcSys is starting to assume powers over all Skullgirls content, which they probably didn't pay for.

hey man, it's good enough news for me. But yes, it would be nice for Lab Zero and Arcsys to have a chat about it but knowing ArcSys (from me emailing them) and Lab Zero (from how it always is with other companies), I doubt that'd get anywhere.

But now it's the waiting game again - I agreed to their terms and now have to wait for them to remove ALL the strikes.

I am glad that you have your channel back, Goodbye.

Not yet - they've yet to remove the strikes. As soon as they do, I will delete every Skullgirls video from my channel regardless of language as I just can't take the risk anymore and then I will be free.

This is only story mode right?

All my videos were of Story Mode, yes, but I can't risk it again. Who knows where they'll extend to next.

Not yet - they've yet to remove the strikes. As soon as they do, I will delete every Skullgirls video from my channel regardless of language as I just can't take the risk anymore and then I will be free.

All my videos were of Story Mode, yes, but I can't risk it again. Who knows where they'll extend to next.

Just wondering, because i am worried about match uploads played with japanese audio. I'm glad if it's not the case.

The email I got from ArcSys says it does not allow any videos to show any footage of their games without express permission from them - they said it "especially" applied to story mode but was not limited to it.

All I'm saying is to be careful. Look into GeoBlocking Japan if you can, or just remove any and all signifiers that it's Japanese - I had in big bold letters in the thumbnail that it was.

I wonder if this is going to affect the uploading of tournament matches/footage, if people aren't allowed to record/stream/upload skullgirls footage then that's going to be a huge loss for the SGC as a whole

I have a bunch of tournament matches on my channel. And 1 or 2 outdated tech videos from the beta. I'll let you guys know if I get any notices.

I am confused as to why they didn't give me any strikes before, to be honest. I did the English Story Modes, with and without the voices.

Aaaaand I'm not buying anything anymore from Arcsys. Hope they don't get to publish Indiv in Japan or the hypothetical SG2 for that matter.

Wow. That really isn't cool. I'm not sure why they're doing this and I really have no guesses but wow...
But I'll let you guys know if I get any notices too.

Well I like how ArcSystem works gets to police someone elses game. idiots.

Last edited: