• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

toph.png

Excellent.

Reactions: Jutsei
......Meh. I might just stop watching.

Damn this shit's getting intense yo. Like I very much liked this most recent episode. It's a bout time they got away from the crappy angsty stuff and got into serious things. I'm glad that there was a turn around like that.

Also IROOOOOOOOOH!!! SQUEEEEE

Firebenders fuck everything up. A firebender caused the world to become unbalanced. Firebenders indiscriminately attack spirits. It's like everything that's wrong with the world could be trace back to a firebender.
Firebenders fuck everything up. A firebender caused the world to become unbalanced. Firebenders indiscriminately attack spirits. It's like everything that's wrong with the world could be trace back to a firebender.
Didn't a Firebender kill Asami's mom, and both of Bolin and Mako's parents?

Didn't a Firebender kill Asami's mom, and both of Bolin and Mako's parents?
They also killed off an entire airbending population, laid seige on an Earth Nation capital for hundreds of years, burned down many earth nation villages, tried to take over the water tribes, yada yada.

However, the firebenders are responsible for discovering that Fire is not just destruction, but also life. Sun Warriors are probably the only cool firebenders ever.

However, the firebenders are responsible for discovering that Fire is not just destruction, but also life. Sun Warriors are probably the only cool firebenders ever.
What about Zuko and Iroh?

They're pretty awesome.

What about Zuko and Iroh?

They're pretty awesome.

They both visited the Sun Warriors at one point in their life. That point is also the point where they became cool.

Finale was too hype. Absolutely amazing.

It was cool to randomly see Zhao again. He was my favorite villain of TLA first season. Giant Cosmic Korra > Avatar State. It really sucks that she lost her link to her past lives. It sets a giant reset button as far as being an avatar is concerned. I'm curious where Book 3 and 4 go from here

episodes 13 and 14 are up on Nick.com if you want to see them.

Caught the Finale on nick's website

thoughts:
- Bolin & Eska was a thing?
- So many things happening! I sorta expect many retcons now next year.
- The spirits being more visible sounds like it could be amazing going forward.
- Varrick is the best vaguely villainous character ever.
- No really Bolin & Eska was a thing?!

Hey... I'm going to backtrack just ever so slightly to Avatar Wan for a sec here.

In TLA, the first earth benders were Oma and Shu who learned from badger moles, yet, in the story of Avatar Wan, everyone could earthbend should that potential be unlocked by lionturtles regardless of even knowing or meeting a badgermole.

While it's possible that Oma and Shu predate Avatar Wan, I like to believe that the avatar was the first bender... I don't think that's specifially stated anywhere actually so there is no real conflict here I guess...

Carry on.

Hey... I'm going to backtrack just ever so slightly to Avatar Wan for a sec here.

In TLA, the first earth benders were Oma and Shu who learned from badger moles, yet, in the story of Avatar Wan, everyone could earthbend should that potential be unlocked by lionturtles regardless of even knowing or meeting a badgermole.

While it's possible that Oma and Shu predate Avatar Wan, I like to believe that the avatar was the first bender... I don't think that's specifially stated anywhere actually so there is no real conflict here I guess...

Carry on.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa wait a sec.

Back in Avatar Wan's time, people could only bend the elements if the Lion Turtles gave them that power. After the Lion Turtles stopped loaning bending out, there's a big unexplained hole as to how the people learned to bend the elements themselves. I guess that's when the moon, the dragons, the badger moles and the air bison come in.

My thoughts on the finale:

It's amazing how much of a polar opposite this forum is compared to the TeamLiquid forums. Everyone's doing nothing but complaining about the finale over there. I thought it was great how everything managed to come together, and how we now have another 10,000 year Avatar lineage to look forward to. Starting with a clean slate. The fights were good, the music was better. Kinda wish Korra kept her scars.

Carry on.

Oma and Shu didn't pre-date Avatar Wan. Humans had to live on the backs of Lion Turtles before Wan had the spirits go back to their own world. Lion Turtles weren't unlocking potential. They were giving bending to whoever asked for it. They gave people bending but that doesn't mean they knew how to use it. Wan was a shitty firebender until he learned from a dragon.

Last edited:
Oma and Shu didn't pre-date Avatar Wan. Humans had to live on the backs of Lion Turtles before Wan had the spirits go back to their own world. Lion Turtles weren't unlocking potential. They were giving bending to whoever asked for it. They gave people bending but that doesn't mean they knew how to use it. Wan was a shitty firebender until he learned from a dragon.

I guess so. I'm just trying to understand the timeline of things. I would've thought that bending occurred before the avatar and that the avatar developed as a means of balancing the four elements over time. But obviously bending has always existed and humans have always had the ability to bend through the help of Lion turtles...

I'm having the tough time because I never saw the lion turtles giving them the ability to firebend, they simply unlocked a part of the human that allowed for firebending. Kind of a bias happening there in terms of my train of thought.

I mean look at Amon, he was able to perfect his abilities so well that he gained the ability to energybend throughout the course of his lifetime and without the need of a lion turtle (Like a lion turtle would grant a selfish man like that the ability to energybend... srsly?). So he unlocked a part within him to allow for energybending instead of having it bestowed upon him by a lion turtle. The whole lion turtle thing seems to me to be a placebo thing :P

About the finale
I kind of don't agree with Korra's decision that spirits and humans coexisting giving their track record, but hopefully things will work out. Hopefully this isn't the end of Korra. It's too short and I want to know what happens next T_T
I'm a little sad Bolin didn't end up together with Eska, though.

I guess so. I'm just trying to understand the timeline of things. I would've thought that bending occurred before the avatar and that the avatar developed as a means of balancing the four elements over time. But obviously bending has always existed and humans have always had the ability to bend through the help of Lion turtles...

I'm having the tough time because I never saw the lion turtles giving them the ability to firebend, they simply unlocked a part of the human that allowed for firebending. Kind of a bias happening there in terms of my train of thought.

I mean look at Amon, he was able to perfect his abilities so well that he gained the ability to energybend throughout the course of his lifetime and without the need of a lion turtle (Like a lion turtle would grant a selfish man like that the ability to energybend... srsly?). So he unlocked a part within him to allow for energybending instead of having it bestowed upon him by a lion turtle. The whole lion turtle thing seems to me to be a placebo thing :P

Amon used bloodbending to seal a person's bending. The how sadly was never explained. Fans have theorized that he was blocking the chakras with his bloodbending. Amon perfected his abilities to the point he could bend just with his eye movements.

As for Lion Turtles, the one in Wan's city always gave firebending to people that went to hunt in the spirit wilds and returned the bending when they got back. Lion Turtles stop protecting humanity they stopping giving them the bending power.

Just found this on another forum:

QBdxj2J.jpg

Guess there was never much room for more Avatars in this cycle, eh?

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
I just had a silly idea about the final battle:

It was the Intro to Symphony of the Night!

Korra is Richter Belmont
Vaatu is Dracula
Jinora is Maria with that assist that bails you out when you run out of HP

Reactions: erkicman
I just had a silly idea about the final battle:

It was the Intro to Symphony of the Night!

Korra is Richter Belmont
Vaatu is Dracula
Jinora is Maria with that assist that bails you out when you run out of HP

Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!

So just watched the last 4 episodes and here's my thoughts (conveniently spoilered because I don't know why)

So first off I want to just say that the story they had here makes TLA's stpry look so fucking petty it's unbelievable. The story was powerful, however, the execution could have been better which brings me to my next opinion.

They spent too much time fuckin around at the beginning of the season... We all saw the bad guys coming from a mile away and we knew exactly how the story would ultimately play out. At least with TLA there was the chance that Aang could've lost because of his stubbornness to using firebending, but it was totally obvious Raava would've been revived. The story is awesome, but the scripting and execution fell short a little bit.

Now, I like the idea about keeping the spirit portals open, but that basically makes the Avatar useless... Now she's more like a guardian which I guess I can deal with. It just doesn't feel 100% to me really. I mean, now Koh can freely move in and out to steal everyones faces for his collection in which Korra's gonna have to go in and slap him on the wrist. She's gonna become a ghostbuster so to speak. Just answering to all the problems people have.

And that's about it really. Too bad the connection with past avatars is severed... That made me sad.

Just watched episodes 10-14 all at once. (Long) Thoughts:

In short, everything not related to Korra is pretty good, as usual. Sigh.
Bad stuff:
-So what's really sticking out to me in these episodes is the inconsistency in fighting. One moment Korra is a total badass and can beat the shit out of someone, the next she goes down 1 hit, and can't redeem herself. I'd also like to point out a theory I have that her Avatar State is an incomplete one. Aang could take out entire armies and battleship fleets by his lonesome in the Avatar State, yet for some reason she doesn't use it to attack the spirit portal? And she can't beat Unaloq before he fuses with it? Wtf? She also seems to dip in and out of it quite commonly, so something's up here.
-Second, fuck the ending. Seriously, nothing makes any sort of canonical sense/is explained. Okay, I can see why Unaloq becomes a monster when he fuses; he's basically Vaatu but with a human form, and he's super powerful with Rava dead for the time being. But then why can Korra turn into a giant spirit monster? Just cause she's the avatar? Oh wait, she's not. Considering she has a weak spiritual connection and no longer has Rava, there's no reason she should be able to do this. In theory, technically EVERY OTHER HUMAN should be able to do this if she can. It's really just deus ex machina bullshit, and a really dumb way to do it too (giant fighting spirits, really?). And don't even get me started on Jenora, her "help" makes even less sense.
Minor gripes:
-Okay, so Varrick was evil and all, but he was evil for a clearly good reason, no ulterior motives or anything. So then why bother even making him evil? Just seems like a pointless sub-plot to waste episode time. And they make you love Varrick so much, it'd make more sense for him to be seen as good. Nonetheless Varrick is still the best character.
-Korra: "We..don't work together"
*Korra kisses Mako*
Me: "WTF?!" WHAT SENSE DOES THIS MAKE IN ANY WORLD AT ALL?
-Vaatu technically wins, then the first place he goes is republic city, since clearly he knows the entire layout of the earth 10000 years later. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
-They went for the "save the day" ending again, despite setting themselves up for a great "Korra loses" ending like season 2 of TLA. They better have a good reason this time.
Good things:
-The humor was spot on from beginning to end. I was laughing pretty consistently every episode this season, so good job comedy writers. Too bad their story writers don't share the same talent.
-I can't say why, but I really love Eska+Bolin. Why can't they just start living together? D:
-Tenzin had more character development in 1 episode than Korra had in the entirety of these 2 seasons.
-Watching Bumi take out an entire camp by his lonesome may have been the best thing to come out of this entire season (other than Wan's story). Also "THE CANNIBALS!" LMAO
-Korra in the spirit world was well done. And seeing Zhao in there was kind of crazy. I'm happy they brought him back, and am suuuuuuper curious exactly how he got there and if he's immortal living there, or is dead and somehow his spirit lives on there.
-Varrick is absolutely hilarious.
-Korra keeping the spirit portals open may have been the smartest decision she's made in both seasons. This definitely has a lot of potential.
-Watching fused Unaloq take Rava out of Korra was fucking creepy, in a good way.
-Though I probably wasn't supposed to be I was laughing really hard at the cheesy slow-mo punch Tonroq did towards Unaloq, and laughed even harder when it failed terribly.

Where will they go from here? They certainly haven't set themselves in a clear continuing direction....again.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Episode 10 was godlike, almost as good as any of the first 10 episodes of book 1. The last 5 episodes made me not permanently disown the writers, which was going to happen.

Also crayolan I should point out that her connection to the spirit world is not equivalent to the strength of her spirit (aka soul), the former is the one we know is weak.

So me and my sister just watched a marathon of Season 2 of The Legend of Korra.

As usual the Avatar series is fantastic but I would have made some changes to the story of this season.
I definitely enjoyed this season more than I enjoyed every previous season of Avatar, but I feel like it could have been a lot better. Then again I thought the same thing about every season before this so I guess I'm just doomed to never see the Avatar series reach it's true potential.

Regardless I still enjoyed watching, I can't wait for Book 3.

I hate Mako.

not the actor.

the horrible character who should not have been named after the deceased actor whom we all love.

I believe that Avatar is being choked by it's TV-Y7 rating.
I believe that if Avatar had the liberty of going a little farther than family friendly it would unlock it's potential as one of the best animated series of all time. I guess I'm just going to have to settle for what we have now, but I'm not all that sad about it. Avatar is pretty great as it is now, there's no use in wanting what we can't have.

I believe that Avatar is being choked by it's TV-Y7 rating.
I believe that if Avatar had the liberty of going a little farther than family friendly it would unlock it's potential as one of the best animated series of all time. I guess I'm just going to have to settle for what we have now, but I'm not all that sad about it. Avatar is pretty great as it is now, there's no use in wanting what we can't have.
Hey now, let's not forget the insane shit they got away with in the Season Finale of LoK Season 1.
I was just sitting there dumbfounded for a good five minutes.

Hey now, let's not forget the insane shit they got away with in the Season Finale of LoK Season 1.
I was just sitting there dumbfounded for a good five minutes.
I was surprised that they got away with that too, and it makes me angry because that's just a taste of how good Avatar could be if it was rated TV-14 instead. I would definitely rank that moment as one of my Top Ten Avatar Moments, and it's because the writers did something they don't normally do.

Especially since it basically took your expectations (Both of them coming back in another season, or reforming), and tore them apart in such a brutal and unexpected manner.

theres a lot a show can do with a TV-Y7 rating. just look at Young Justice.

I also felt Last Airbender had some darker stories than Korra.

it also doesnt help that I think Korra is probably one of the worst Avatars, even my friends will agree with that.

also, I think korra jumping from Y7 to 14 is a bit steep

going to TV PG is perfectly fine.

still wouldnt help the garbage that goes on in there.

I loved the last airbender series.

Yeah, I don't think any story problems present in Avatar are really the result ratings restrictions. Batman: TAS definitely proved that the good writers don't worry about restrictions, they just work around them.

Heck, I think restrictions can actually be a good thing sometimes. Like, I personally feel Invader Zim would have been worse if Jhonen Vasquez had been allowed to stick to his usual brand of humor and imagery. He had to be a lot more clever with how he handled certain subjects, and I think the extra effort made the show a lot stronger.

TV-PG, TV-14, and TV-MA aren't necessarily better than TV-Y7, they're just less restrictive.
I'm not saying that Avatar would be better at a higher rating, I'm just saying that it wouldn't be worse.
Also Avatar, Batman: TAS, and Invader Zim are different kinds of shows, it isn't really fair to compare them.

I'm not saying that Avatar would be better at a higher rating, I'm just saying that it wouldn't be worse.
Um, okay.
Pk91oTS.gif

Reactions: Crayolan
Um, okay.
Sorry I probably worded that badly.
I just think that Avatar would be better if it was a little more mature and I don't think it would be any worse if it had the freedom to do so. Time for a topic change, who's your favorite character?

I dont think adding more mature themes would've helped the Korra series. like, Mako is irredeemable, the show jumps left and right on what its wanting to do, Amon shouldn't have been a bloodbender and instead an actual human who stumbled into the spirit world and learned how to lock bending because they kept showing how opressed non-benders were, and no, I will not say amon's and his brother's ending justifies anything, regardless of how dark it was.

Also, its not the first on screen death in Avatar. Remember when Sokka killed Combustion Man?