• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

The Avatar lost to an earth/metalbender. That's just pathetic.
Kuvira does look better with her hair down.
Bolin did the thing :')

Man do i pledge my loyalty to the great uniter... or Varrick, he was sexy as fuck this episode.

The Avatar lost to an earth/metalbender. That's just pathetic.

I know right?! Did Korra completely forget that She can Metal Bend?! and that those stupid little metal arm bands could have easily been redirected or could have been collected into a weapon or something. BLLLLLLLEEEEEGGGGGG COME ON KORRA STEP IT.

Reactions: KaboomKid
I know right?! Did Korra completely forget that She can Metal Bend?! and that those stupid little metal arm bands could have easily been redirected or could have been collected into a weapon or something. BLLLLLLLEEEEEGGGGGG COME ON KORRA STEP IT.
Or she could've done what Kuvira did, and shifted the ground under Kuvira. Considering Korra has 3 other elements over her is just.... Eck.... But of course, the writers could always counter this argument with Korra's mental trauma.

Eck.... But of course, the writers could always counter this argument with Korra's mental trauma.
I'm calling 3rd party spirit interference.

I thought Korra seeing herself wasn't in her head because didn't that little spirit who led her to the swamp see the apparition too?

I'm calling 3rd party spirit interference.

I thought Korra seeing herself wasn't in her head because didn't that little spirit who led her to the swamp see the apparition too?
But then not a single other person in that entire field see what Korra saw? I don't know, this is kind of a gray area for everyone.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is tired to see Korra get her ass kicked everytime...seriously in the episode I wanted more Varrick and less Korra. And saying it kinda hurts me because I like her

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is tired to see Korra get her ass kicked everytime...seriously in the episode I wanted more Varrick and less Korra. And saying it kinda hurts me because I like her
I don't mind her losing, but damn that was bad, really really bad.

She only touched Kuuriva once, and that was a surprise attack during the avatar state with a style most people on the planet barely know how to fight.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Toph is actually dead, her spirit flew to the swamp, and took the form Toph wanted to take.

Reactions: Rynozilla
Man, Korra's gotta hit the lab. Apparently she forgot how to block lows.

Kuvira with the combos off of sweeps tho

Reactions: iLoli
Yeah,
it's almost as if she's been doing nothing but struggling with trauma and ptsd for several years and is still in a lot of shock and has been feeling increasingly irrelevant and without purpose.
Why can't she just put all that aside and beat up the person in whom she's constantly seeing a better and darker version of herself?
God, what is she, human or something?

Yeah,
it's almost as if she's been doing nothing but struggling with trauma and ptsd for several years and is still in a lot of shock and has been feeling increasingly irrelevant and without purpose.
Why can't she just put all that aside and beat up the person in whom she's constantly seeing a better and darker version of herself?

Nah man she Avatar
Always succeed
No room for failure

If failure she dumb
NO ALLOW FAILURE, AVATAR

NO ALLOW

Reactions: Rynozilla
But then not a single other person in that entire field see what Korra saw? I don't know, this is kind of a gray area for everyone.
We're talking about spirits. Sometimes things are weird.

Yeah,
How about before the trauma, she still got bopped.

Last episode kind of implied she 'moved on' from the past trauma.

I'm not mad she still has ptsd or something, I'm mad the last episode was like "okay, she's over it', and right before she wins a fight, she freaks out with an issue I thought we just resolved.

Could she have not just avatar state'd airblasted Kurriva, lift the big rock up, see her face in Kurrviva's, and just put the rock down and told her to surrender?

She does get that the fate of the world is here right? She does get that everyone asked her if she was okay and that she could rest and SHE herself (with bei fong) were the people who were putting themselves in the conflict.

Also, I don't get the avatar state thing, the Avatar state is there when the Avatar gets in a pinch and needs emergency power to set right the course of nature, if you're gonna play that kind of game anyways and go against Zaheer's core principles, just DO IT, KORRA. Why play nice when there is a literal standing army in front of you?

I usually stand by the writing of this show, but this "ptsd" sequence feels a little weak.

So she gets it, mops around, leaves house, finds toph, trains out of it and then still has it?

She didn't recover, go to a therapist, see her friends and try to actually heal?

Is this the writers saying "there's not time for Korra to heal properly, there's a fight she has to handle?"

If so, why imply she fully healed in Toph's swamp, if there was some foreshadowing I wouldn't have felt like this episode's end was stupid.

I can't say much about Korra constantly getting rekt, other than the writing team probably thought she was getting a case of the animes.
I'm pretty sure Zhu Li didn't actually betray Varrick because she was clearly just playing Kuvira's ego just so she could stay near him.

How about before the trauma, she still got bopped.

I've got no defense for that.

Last episode kind of implied she 'moved on' from the past trauma.

I'm not mad she still has ptsd or something, I'm mad the last episode was like "okay, she's over it', and right before she wins a fight, she freaks out with an issue I thought we just resolved.

That's just how trauma works, man.
People are rarely able to just get over trauma's like this even over the span of a couple years, even if they themselves think that they've moved on.
Like that's probably how best to describe Korra's characterization, she's trying to get past this stuff, and every time she think she has there's another roadblock telling her she hasn't. She's trying to heal, but it's not working, maybe because of the fact that she won't go see her friends (which I get the feeling is intentional).

I mean, it's hard to make overall statements about characterization before the season is over, but that's where I see this going.

Could she have not just avatar state'd airblasted Kurriva, lift the big rock up, see her face in Kurrviva's, and just put the rock down and told her to surrender?

Not when she's freaking out about having put so much time and energy into recovery and still not getting better.

She does get that the fate of the world is here right? She does get that everyone asked her if she was okay and that she could rest and SHE herself (with bei fong) were the people who were putting themselves in the conflict.

That's probably why she was so determined to do things herself.
She's been raised since she was like, 5, knowing she was the avatar and being told she was the most important individual in the whole world, that peace pretty much rested on her shoulders.
And now after a devastating string of injuries and only partial successes, she's grappling with the fact that she can't deal with everything on her own on top of her own personal problems. And she still hasn't accepted that yet, which is probably the main reason, writing-wise, that she got bopped so hard.

Also, I don't get the avatar state thing, the Avatar state is there when the Avatar gets in a pinch and needs emergency power to set right the course of nature, if you're gonna play that kind of game anyways and go against Zaheer's core principles, just DO IT, KORRA. Why play nice when there is a literal standing army in front of you?

She's not playing nice, she's injured and in way over her head because she's a human being.

It's not just Korra getting rect, I think Kuvira is a pretty lame villain too. After the Dark Avatar and an Airbender we get... dictator woman? I mean it's not even the dictator-thing, it's that this is Kuvira, the background-character from the last season. And she's so boring like... every cliché about every evil ruler ever. Thinks she does good, thinks she needs to unite something, totally not cares about the things she does to achieve her goal, produces weapons of mass destruction... army with Mechs and stuff.

Not feeling so good about the season so far, Toph was good but she was the same as always, and other then that it's the "Zhu Li, do the thing!"-Show.

@TheMightyBox I don't mean "play nice" as no fighting, I mean "play nice" as in "why wait to use the avatar state, just do it."

Korra's known since the middle of season 1 she couldn't do everything by herself, I don't think that's her problem anymore.

@TheMightyBox I don't mean "play nice" as no fighting, I mean "play nice" as in "why wait to use the avatar state, just do it."

Oh.
Hmm.
I mean, there was the feeling that she really didn't want to go into the avatar state, I think she outright said she only wanted to use it as a last resort so I guess,
it'd probably have something to do with it's connection to her fight with Zaheer and coming so close to dying and all the metal poison torture and stuff. Or maybe she's more aware of her own vulnerability in the Avatar State.
Maybe it was just a writing device so that Korra could get trounced some more before realizing that her recovery wasn't finished, I don't really know.

Reactions: Wildpony

Korra's known since the middle of season 1 she couldn't do everything by herself, I don't think that's her problem anymore.
"Why wait to go into a Megazord, just do it."

Reactions: iLoli and KaboomKid
"Why wait to go into a Megazord, just do it."
That would have saved a lot of time.

I thought Jinora was hyper sensitive to spiritual stuff? She was there during the fight, right..?
Maybe? When did she start astral projecting to call for an escape? I forget.

She probably learned it during the timeskip, but I think i remember her using astral projection though.

Maybe? When did she start astral projecting to call for an escape? I forget.

While Opal kept the army at bay with swirling tornado, Jinora astral-projected a call for help after Korra got slammed and propped-up in a rock coffin.

I think Korra's hallucination was caused by self-doubt. She was seconds away from using a giant boulder to turn Kuvira into a red smear of desert sand. She doesn't want to kill her because that won't solve everything. What next, annihilate the whole army too?

And I think the Kuvira vs. Korra fight would have went much more in Korra's favor if there was some water around. From the Southern Water Tribe, water is her most experienced element.

tumblr_neovhfiup71rdo3bfo1_500.png

this episode, man

Baatar is so going to accidentally Varrick himself trying to recreate weaponized spirit vine.

Yeah, so far I'm not digging Kuvira as much as Amon & Zaheer, but I will give her credit as being the "Better Unalaq." While Unalaq's one-note obsession with balance was given very little foundation, and had to be elaborated on afterwards, the events of Season 3 at least gave us a fairly strong base for Kuvira's characterization here. We got to see how screwed up the other parts of the world were, and so it was easy to empathize with Kuvira's no-nonsense approach in order to deal with them. Yeah it's cliché, but at least it's not Unalaq's literal "evil for evil's sake."

I also appreciate that they've re-emphasized how Kuvira's morals are still tied to what she learned in Zaofu. In a way, I actually see her as Su's karma coming back to bite her. Su got off pretty easy in her youth to pursue her life of carefree exploration, and Kuvira's like the other side of that coin. Now Su finally gets the beating that Toph never gave her.

As for Korra, I hope she gets her act together, but I don't mind that she's still struggling. People were worried that the swamp episodes were going to be a quick-fix for her, and I'm glad that's not the case. I just hope they don't have her chasing too many more "spirit-cures" at this point, and they really take this opportunity to dig into her character some more. It's definitely important that we have a good idea of what Korra's legacy will be by the time this final season is over.

By the way, Where IS Zaheer?

probably in prison crying over how much a loser he is

Oh, they caught him?

I'm starting to think that Korra saw her dark spirit in Kuvira because Korra actually agrees with some of Kuvira's points and reasoning. Thus, she can't just off Kuvira with a boulder just like that. Maybe she listened to Toph and is starting to learn from her enemies, and it's true... letting Zaofu hoard its riches while the wrecked kingdom right outside is desperately in need of relief and stability is not really favoring balance at all.

I'm really liking Kuvira as a villain. She's competent and a fantastic leader. I agree with a lot of her points sans the nuclear weapons thing. That, and I don't see a simple solution for dealing with her unlike how simple it was exposing Noatak as a waterbender in front of all his followers.

Oh, they caught him?

They put a sock in him.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
shout out to that guy voiced by Steve Blum
he was voiced by Steve Blum

also shout out to convection not existing

shout out to that guy voiced by Steve Blum
he was voiced by Steve Blum

also shout out to convection not existing

Quiet you.
Bolin is finally doing cool shit, don't ruin it for me.
wait...

nah I'm down with hollywood lava since it's (heh) cooler than the normal stuff

When is it gonna be over?
I know it's disappointing so I'm waiting till it's over.

ur face is disappointing
TBA, but unless they miss a week or something, it'd be 6 more weeks.
So right after Christmas, December 26.

Reactions: Zidiane