• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beginner Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assists have a two frame startup before the assist move's normal animation starts. Therefore, if it's an invulnerable startup AA, they have the two frames of startup then they're untouchable. When/Where is this two-frame period; the time it takes them to get off the bench and onto the screen, or once they "land" from their entry into the screen?

tl;dr: when do i jab napalm pillars for lockout

unless im mistaken (in which case isavulpes will nail me) it is after they land. keep in mind 2 frames is a tiny amount of time and you will need some luck as well as reaction time to get a jab in there.

Once they land. The 2f vuln startup are immediatly before the actual startup of the move, so it goes
- Fully invulnerable entry on the screen (takes, say, 30f)
- 2f vulnerable bonus startup
- Actual move startup

You can test this really easily btw by turning on hitboxes in training mode, putting Speed to 10% and calling Updo assist :P

(And yeah, hitting that 2f window reliably is.. very hard. Espec with low active frame normals like Jabs.)

I've read through most of this thread and have been reading most of the threads here to learn stuff, but I still found a bunch of particular questions...Thanks in advance!

• Does SkullGirls have interrupts? I.E. Can I ever poke someone out of a combo? (I'm in particular thinking of Vals hp x3. (I have had no success with this yet) Or Can I only do this if they fail to hit confirm and end their combo in a special?
  • Are there traditional reversals on wakeup? Actually, IS there a wakeup game?
  • Are there reversals in general?
  • Do Anti-Airs play into SkullGirls basics or is it just better to block?
  • How does team building work? Is it basically point/assist/anchor?
  • What is the most popular solo character / team right now?
  • The Skullgirls scene seems a lot smaller than most other fighters, why do you think this is?
  • Most fighters have a pair of 'Core' characters that are recommended for players new to the series. For SF it's Ryu or Guile, BlazBlue was Ragna or Jin. What would be Skullgirls? (I.E. am I screwing my self right now trying to learn Parasoul/Squigly first)
  • Are there any other things you wish people told you about SkullGirls when you first started?

I've read through most of this thread and have been reading most of the threads here to learn stuff, but I still found a bunch of particular questions...Thanks in advance!

• Does SkullGirls have interrupts? I.E. Can I ever poke someone out of a combo? (I'm in particular thinking of Vals hp x3. (I have had no success with this yet) Or Can I only do this if they fail to hit confirm and end their combo in a special?
  • The Skullgirls scene seems a lot smaller than most other fighters, why do you think this is?
  • Most fighters have a pair of 'Core' characters that are recommended for players new to the series. For SF it's Ryu or Guile, BlazBlue was Ragna or Jin. What would be Skullgirls? (I.E. am I screwing my self right now trying to learn Parasoul/Squigly first)
  • Are there any other things you wish people told you about SkullGirls when you first started?
  • No.
  • Yes.
  • Yes.
  • You can anti air in this game but it is not as big a part of the metagame as in other games. There's a lot of really bullshit jumping normals with giant disjointed hitboxes in Skullgirls and trying to anti air them with your own standing normals doesn't always work for all characters. This isn't to say it's better to block; your best option is to call Updo assist.
  • Because you can make 2 character teams, you don't have to add a third character, and most people don't unless that third character is adding something really incredible (like Updo). It's more common to see teams of 2 characters that work well with each other.
  • I guess the team I see most often on ranked is solo Cerebella.
  • I don't really think Skullgirls has a character like that. Every character is really different from every other character; I don't think any one character really teaches you fundamental Skullgirls. I guess just play whoever you like.
  • Not really.

For those of you that have played in offline events:

Can you actually hear someone mashing out reversals/supers and just drop your combo but block to take advantage of it? Are there people that mash dead buttons to mess with you if you're paying attention?

For those of you that have played in offline events:

Can you actually hear someone mashing out reversals/supers and just drop your combo but block to take advantage of it? Are there people that mash dead buttons to mess with you if you're paying attention?
Yes and yes. Both these things will happen in offline tournaments. I personally can't hear shit, because I wear noise cancelling headphones when I play in tournament, but in casuals I've heard people trying to mash something out and was able to bait it. And I know people who hit the dead buttons to make you think they're mashing something when they actually aren't.

not entirely sure what you mean by this. if they wiff, yes you can hit them if you time and angle your attack correctly. if you are blocking you can alpha counter for 1 bar (if you have a team), if you are getting hit you can only burst if they activate undizzy or IPS.
depends on the character. some characters have DPs, everyone has supers. yes there is a wakeup game.
yes there are, but not all characters have them/good ones.
depends on your character, your opponents character and how your opponent is playing.
play whoever you want, you can probably find some good chemisty between all the characters if you look
ummm.. donno.
its not made by an established company and it has had all sorts of issues with its release and updates.
the core characters i would say are filia, cerebella and peacock, but even then not really as strong as sf or bb. you are not screwing yourself for learning other characters, play who you want, everyone is viable.
i first started right as the game came out so not sure this applies. but what i tell everyone who touches the game "play through the tutorials. they start out super basic but end up covering a lot of good stuff"

hope this helps

Well I'm proud to announce that I DID play through all of the tutorial. This time around I didn't even get frustrated like I did two years ago!

Thanks for the advice guys, and thanks for being an awesome seeming community.

Reactions: evilben
Is there anything you can do against an enemy that maintains a good distance away from you? This normally happens in solo matches for some reason.
I'm running solo Fortune but I can't figure out what would get me to reach that enemy and also be safe. I guess an assist would make it cake and I'm bad at timing assists but that's on the "things I have to learn" list.

Is there anything you can do against an enemy that maintains a good distance away from you? This normally happens in solo matches for some reason.
I'm running solo Fortune but I can't figure out what would get me to reach that enemy and also be safe. I guess an assist would make it cake and I'm bad at timing assists but that's on the "things I have to learn" list.

I would say that when it comes to your playing Solo Fortune at least would be to utilize her movement like a hyper active child. Using H Fiber Upper into forward air dash for example leads for a good setup, is safe, as well as getting in fast. Otherwise in general would be character specific, obviously, so I can't say much on that. Just my two cents I suppose.

Spacing.

In Fortune's case, head control is really really critical for getting in on some characters.

If it's Valentines or Painwheels giving you grief, that's just a matchup specific thing. They're really good about running away from Fortune and only engaging when they're at an advantage.

I have been starting to learn Filia and I was wondering how do you get the timing for airball cancel? I can do it less than 20% of the time.
Thanks and much appreciated.

So I'm pretty casual with this game but I've been trying to play Val/Cere for a while now and I just can not comprehend playing a grappler in a game where people are just zooming all over the place on the ground and in the air. If I'm not really planning on become more than mediocre at best with this game do you think Val/Para would be a better team for me?

Did you guys know that you can't grab while the enemy is in hitstun?

I didn't.

Yes, and something related, I was not aware that some moves had longer block stun than hit stun. I'm pretty sure val's cr.lp is way better as tick throw reset than normal tick throw...

Also something I found annoying, people can burst out of nom without me starting a new chain. Bleh.

So I'm pretty casual with this game but I've been trying to play Val/Cere for a while now and I just can not comprehend playing a grappler in a game where people are just zooming all over the place on the ground and in the air. If I'm not really planning on become more than mediocre at best with this game do you think Val/Para would be a better team for me?

Nah, Cerebella is good to play, but you have to understand that she isn't a grappler in a footsies game, she has many tools in order to compensate for the neutral game of skullgirls. Characters like zangief are pure grapplers that are designs for things life whiff punishing and walking forward/taking hits. So you aren't going to get that kind of grappler in this game, but if that's your style the best you will do is cere. If you aren't planning on being anything more than a casual player it would make sense to play the style you want, don't changed to parasoul just to mash napalm pillar.

Hi guys! i'm new, just got the game last night.

And i already have a noob question.

When steam loaded the game into my library i got both
"skullgirls"
and
"skullgirls endless beta"

Skullgirls wont run it just says (unknown error)

but skullgirls endless beta works. Can somebody shed some light on this for me? is "skullgirls endless beta" the game? or is "skullgirls" the game?

try redownloading skullgirls if its not working.
the endless beta is where Mike Z makes changes and experiments with the game while Skullgirls (encore) is the actual game.

Did you guys know that you can't grab while the enemy is in hitstun?
fun fact. if you can put your enemy in a stagger state (cere s.mp or fortunes head roll, etc) you can grab them!

So, how do you guys get over the dreaded feeling of being absolutely terrible at this game.

Seems like no matter how much I play the feeling never goes away.

So, how do you guys get over the dreaded feeling of being absolutely terrible at this game.

Instead of thinking that way, you think about how you can improve and look at just small elements of what you are doing wrong, picking away at them a bad habit or un-evolved skill at a time. When you know what you are trying to change, its easy to see the results, even if you aren't necessarily winning games any more than you used to.

Not really a beginner question, but this is the closest thing to a question thread I could find.

I've been using the Beta version of the game for as long as I can remember, and I haven't used the normal Skullgirls version. So today it dawned on me:

I didn't get Squigly when she was free.

So... will the Beta ever close, preventing me from playing Squigly again? I need to know if I should pay or not.

i have not heard of any talk of the beta closing.

Not really a beginner question, but this is the closest thing to a question thread I could find.

I've been using the Beta version of the game for as long as I can remember, and I haven't used the normal Skullgirls version. So today it dawned on me:

I didn't get Squigly when she was free.

So... will the Beta ever close, preventing me from playing Squigly again? I need to know if I should pay or not.
its called infinite endless beta, so I hope not haha.

Are DHC's into Parasoul cars safe? (You know after the first super gets blocked so you go for the safer one.)

I want to know if Fortune/Parasoul/Double would be better than Fortune/Filia/Double and this is the tipping point.

Actually I'm gonna go ahead and make that another question:
What seems better Fortune/Parasoul/Double or Fortune/Filia/Double?

Last edited:
Are DHC's into Parasoul cars safe? (You know after the first super gets blocked so you go for the safer one.)

I want to know if Fortune/Parasoul/Double would be better than Fortune/Filia/Double and this is the tipping point.

Actually I'm gonna go ahead and make that another question:
What seems better Fortune/Parasoul/Double or Fortune/Filia/Double?
Honestly Fortune/Fillia/Double is probably slightly, ever so slightly better overall because its team top 3 characters in the game. With Parasoul there though, the team is a bit easier to play and you can get away with a lot of reversals because of Bikes.

I am trying to do the Beginner Filia Corner Combo, got it yesterday most of the time, for some reason I am not able to do it today.

After the s.hp, jump on the second throw part: If I hit the j.lp on the first possible frame, and immediatley use j.hp. I am always missing the j.hp, no matter how fast I am doing that. However if I delay the j.lp I'll hit with the j.hp (Man that took me so long to figure this out, I thought it was totally random at first).
In the beginning for the combo (1st throw) I have to immediately use the j.hp after the jump, so I am not too far off the ground for the otg. c.lk. That kinda gets me in the habbit of using it asap. Thats what causing me trouble on the seond throw part.

Reference video:
notice I am missing the first two j.hp, the third one after delaying the j.lp is a hit.
1) Any hints regarding the execution or should I just get used to it, that I have to delay the j.lp a bit contradicting to the fast execution on the first throw in order to land the otg c.lk
2) I noticed that I can easily add an c.lp as the first attack on the combo. Is this perfectly?
3) Is the terminology used in this post fine? I want to be technically correct.
4) What is adc and otg, when referred to in combos?

Thank you :)

1) Any hints regarding the execution or should I just get used to it, that I have to delay the j.lp a bit contradicting to the fast execution on the first throw in order to land the otg c.lk
2) I noticed that I can easily add an c.lp as the first attack on the combo. Is this perfectly?
3) Is the terminology used in this post fine? I want to be technically correct.
4) What is adc and otg, when referred to in combos?

hi i followed you here.
1) this has to do with filia's momentum. when you delay a bit you are allowing you upward momentum to die off a bit do you dont keep moving up as quickly when the j.hp comes out.
2)you can do lp before the lk in your combo if you want. you may end up doing less damage overall due to scaling, though.
3)you use throw weird. a throw is when you use lp + lk. do you mean launcher? (launcher is a jump cancellable move that knocks your opponent upwards. filia has two, s.hp and c.mp)
4)otg is off the ground. it is what you are doing with the 2nd c.lk. adc is air dash cancel. you can dash cancel any of filia's jumping normals and her air hairball. this does use your airdash for the jump, though (and you can only adc air hairball once per combo)

hope this helps!

Hi, thank you for the quick answers.

1) So I just gotta delay the j.LP a bit in order to get lesser momentum and not fail the j.HP, did I get this right? I've seen posts yesterday where delaying seems to be required on some combo moves. And I thought I would be fine with using moves on the fisrt possible frame :).
2) Never heard of scaling, gotta look that up, thanks. Edit: Adding an c.LP before each c.LK does infact lower the combo damage by rougly 300.
3) Yes, meant launcher. I'll be going through the tutorial again and write some stuff down.

Thanks again for you fast help, I was on the verge of just knocking FG's down. Thanks to you (I mean it) I tried Skullgirls again and made some serious progress. Not going to stop now. I've been following Fighting games for quite sometime but never really get to play them.

Last edited:
basics of damage scaling:
each move you hit with reduces the damage of each successive move by a certain percentage.
the weaker (and faster a move) the more it tends to scale.
multi hit moves also tend to scale pretty badly.
each move has a minimum damage it can deal, no matter how much your combo has scaled so far.
(i dont know the scaling data... its probably out there somewhere, but it is something you can play around with if you want.)

I need to wrap my head around when to pushblock as opposed to just holding back and anticipating a throw tech. I'm an intermediate SF player and never got into games with it in it like Mahvel. I get its to prevent offense and resets n stuff, but not really...I remember playing SG when it first dropped or even Marvel many moons ago and not really knowing if I was doing it in the right spots..I just kinda mash it when i feel I'm getting too much pressure
Could someone paint a scenario where its smart and what it prevents?

Last edited:
I'd assume we'll get rid of it when the game's complete / if we move on to the next game, since at that point no reason to have a beta, but who knows when THAT is. (^.^)

Though we probably should do something to make people play the real game, heh. That's a good notice.

I need to wrap my head around when to pushblock as opposed to just holding back and anticipating a throw tech. I'm an intermediate SF player and never got into games with it in it like Mahvel. I get its to prevent offense and resets n stuff, but not really...I remember playing SG when it first dropped or even Marvel many moons ago and not really knowing if I was doing it in the right spots..I just kinda mash it when i feel I'm getting too much pressure
In the majority of situations you want to push late, the last hit of a safe string to give your self some room.

ie. Fillia dashes in with j.HP 2LK 5MK 5HP

5HP is only (-3?) on block so is safe in most situations in the game. You have a choice, pushblock the 5HP and reset the game to a more neutral position.

OR take the advantage you have and start your own pressure, the danger being Fillia's reversal updo and any assist she could be calling. Pushblock is the safer option.

Now lets complicate things and add an extra option/scenario.

Fillia instead dashes in with j.HP j.HK

Now, this is a situation that is a little more complex.

You COULD pushblock the j.HP, which would make the j.HK whiff. If the Fillia reacted slowly this would give you a punish opportunity usually, or at least good advantage.

However Fillia could simply notice the pushblock and whiff cancel into an airball + an asisst. This puts her back on top of you with a mixup opportunity you cannot pushblock out of.

A Fillia that is alone however could only try to frame trap (let you leave blockstun and try to catch you pressing a button for a counterhit) you with a super. The early pushblock there would make sense because if Fillia chose to do anything, she would be at enough disadvantage that you could easily punish her.

Ok, so basically, the general rule is you want to pushblock late, usually the last hit of a string. However there are other situations in which you should probably pushblock that will become apparent to you as you play with the mechanic yourself and gain general SG experience.

Don't get too used to pushblock EVERY string though, or you will lose punish opportunities more than you will create them.

Reactions: D.R.E.

the one thing that Tomo alluded to but i wanted to explicitly point out is that if you block another move during push block it cancels you push block. this means you need to push block at the end of strings or in places that will move your opponent far enough away that the next move will wiff. you can just keep mashing it and get out of some stuff, though.

like above, dont pushblock in situations you know you can punish. like at the end of a lot of supers. keep them close and make em pay.

First thing you should pushblock is jumpins, which otherwise put you in a huge amount of frame disadvantage with an opponent right on top of you. Getting an unpushed blocked jump-in (e.g. because they're stuck in a lockdown assist, or because you did something like airdash cancel a pushed jumpin into another jumpin) is a full blown tactical goal in SG.

Pushing a jumpin late is generally a bad idea because it means you take almost the full guardstun from the jumpin and then you are locked into the pushblock animation - it's very possible to push so late that they can dash back in and still be at frame advantage.

Pushing grounded stuff is all about specific knowledge of what the other character's moves and assists are, there's not really much boiling down you can do.

Is it possible to get a counterhit throw?

I ask mostly for undizzy purposes. I know Lights, Mediums and Specials, Heavies are 25/50/100 bonus undizzy each on a counterhit, but not sure if throws have a bonus for being counterhit, if it's even possible.

There's a couple ways I've seen people get over that with fighting games and sports over the years:

1. Think like you're solving a puzzle rather than putting yourself in a fight/contest.

2. Another idea is to really find out what is fun about the game to you and do that as much as you can, so you're focusing on the fact that the game is a game, and not a hyper-competitive test of self-worth and vindication.

For me, both of these points work together. That's figuring people out. I thrive on the fun that comes from trying to dissect how someone thinks/plays, and every new person is an opportunity to have fun with that observational skill, or lack thereof when it blows up in my face. Combos or beating someone don't even register as fun in my brain, it's all in the uncertainty and deduction of patterns/responses in the neutral game for me. I love spacing, I love blocking/teching/bopping resets and approaches, I love figuring things out.

3. As far as building your own confidence up, a lot of it stems from just putting effort/time into the game and recognizing that you deserve your wins or that you deserve your losses. Maybe that's lab work, maybe that's grinding games against a lot of players, maybe that's studying your own play and the play of others in response to you, maybe it's spending time watching other players that use your characters.

Being able to tell yourself in a successful moment "I have worked on this for X hours, and played Y good players" is good for your confidence. Being able to tell yourself in an unsuccessful moment "I was not prepared for what bopped me because my preparation did not include [insertbophere]" is good for shaking out of despair and putting yourself back into work-mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.