• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beginner Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as a Bella main, I feel my input would be biased. However, most of the best players run 3-man teams, for the versatility and "second chances," I suppose. I think Val/Fortune/Bella would have decent synergy. I see a lot of Valentines and Cerebellas together, so I'm sure there's some merit to it. I don't know a lot about Nadia, though, other than she's really fun to play.

If you really wanted to do a 3 man team, the best bet would probably be Valentine/Ms. Fortune/Cerebella in that order. And you'll only get blown up as a 3-man team if you're not used to the game yet.

If I had to say, a good starter for you would probably be Ms. Fortune and Cerebella as a duo. They've got pretty great synergy together.

I only recently discovered how amazing Cerecopter is for Ms. Fortune, and they can just seamlessly DHC into pretty much any of the other's supers.

Plus they're adorable, yes.

Thanks for the fast replies lad, WHO SAYS THIS GAME IS DEAD?!

Thanks for the suggesiton, I'll probably start with Fortune/Bella. Then get Val in there later on. Back when the game was first released I've seen people use the Double butt bomber assist to augment their rushdown. Does Cerebella herself have the butt bomber move? Or would I have to stick with Cerecopter.

Anywhere I can find resources for combos? I tried to do one I saw on the Ms. Fortune character forum, but I couldn't OTG with cr.LK into st.MK after slide. Am I just bad or is that out of date?

Cerebella herself doesn't have Hornet Bomber, but that doesn't mean Cerebella is lacking at all in the assists department. In fact, she's got arguably the most versatile set of really good assists that see a lot of use. She has Cerecopter, Lock n' Load (Most people use H, but I've seen some M and L around too), Battle Butt, Excellebella (Anti-air grab), and even one weirdo who uses Devil Horns. Ms. Fortune on the other hand, doesn't have much at all in terms of assists aside from H Fiber Uppercut.

You can peruse the Cerebella and Ms. Fortune sections for combo resources. Cerebella Combo Collection should be good for Bella, and there's also Zidiane's Cerebella guide. Ms. Fortune's combo stuff is slightly out of dated but aside from the head-on to headless combos, this thread should suffice. There's also Khaosmuffins' amazing Fortune how-to video.

Val/Fortune/Bella isn't too bad, but Val can't confirm off of Fiber Upper.

You'd be better off with Val/Filia/Bella or Val/Parasoul/Bella with either Updo or Napalm Pillar (Updo is slightly better, since it's easier to confirm off of).

I've been around for a while, now, but I still kind of suck so I thought I'd take this opportunity to ask a question.

Why do all the really good players never/rarely ever tag out when they're on a team? I do this all the time, especially when I'm playing a duo, because I really like being able to recover that red health. I don't know why they don't do it, and, presumably, they don't know why I would do it; so there must be some different mentality in strategy here. I am aware that it's generally a very stupid move if you get hit by a "raw-tag," but even if they don't get hit by it, would that really be such a big deal? In my experience, they don't leave you open for very long if at all.

Because if they block the raw tag, they're gonna get hit. And arguably end up worse for the wear than if they had just stayed in with the other.

I've been around for a while, now, but I still kind of suck so I thought I'd take this opportunity to ask a question.

Why do all the really good players never/rarely ever tag out when they're on a team? I do this all the time, especially when I'm playing a duo, because I really like being able to recover that red health. I don't know why they don't do it, and, presumably, they don't know why I would do it; so there must be some different mentality in strategy here. I am aware that it's generally a very stupid move if you get hit by a "raw-tag," but even if they don't get hit by it, would that really be such a big deal? In my experience, they don't leave you open for very long if at all.
It's an ok reversal attempt, but it is suuuuuuper risky. raw tagging in general is suicide, I only do it if I'm confident that can defend my opponents resets or I'm not in a ratio where I can be killed straight up, so I basically only do it in 3v3 or when my opponent has low meter.

Raw is basically just too easy to punish and they come out slow, its like giving away a character to your opponent just to regain a little red life. A safe DHC is better in 99% of situations, despite costing meter.

Are Bella's command throw (diamond drop, merry go-rilla) techable?
No, command grabs by definition are not techable. There ARE some exceptions though, such as Grab Bag, but that's the only one in SG

Thanks, now I hate Bella more than ever :)
Don't worry, she doesn't get much off her command grabs in most situations, and you can just hold up if you think she's going to do a ground one.

3 Questions:

1. When it comes to finding the most damaging/effective combos in training mode do I use 1:1 ratio ,2:2 ratio,or 3:3 ratio?

2.On average in tournament what do you see most: 1 character team, 2 character team,or "Itz Marvhel Baby" team?

3.How good could a Filia/Squigly/Bella team be?

1.) Ideally you want you use ratios 1:1, 2:2, 3:2, or 3:1, which have normal damage multipliers. Ratios 3:3 and 2:3 have a 1.3x damage multiplier.

2.) I don't play tournaments but people typically play 2 or 3 character teams. Solos are considered "bad" since you miss out on fun/important stuff like assists and dhcs.

3.) Those characters can work together, but make it a Squigly/Filia/Bella team. That way Squigly has Filia's dp assist that can be combo'd off of, and has a low chance of ending up being anchor. Anchor Squigly suffers from having to find the space to charge stances in the late game. Anchor Fillia isn't horrible, but she's best with an assist that covers her heavy rushdown (or so I hear). Bella is the probably the only anchor you want out of those three characters, unless if you're against Peacock. What assists are you planning on running?

What assists are you planning on running?

Thanks for the reply.

Fillia(DP or H.Hairball)/Squigly(cr.HP)/Bella(Cerecopter or Command Throw)

The reason I want Fillia as my point is so she can use Squigly's cr.HP as a hard-to-blockable for incoming character,but that might not warrant enough reason to keep fillia at point.....is it?

I suggest Filia(dp)/Squigly(c.Hp)/Bella(Cerecopter). H.Hairball is just a lockdown and combo filler assist that Cerecopter is better at. Command throw assist is fun. I've played with it a while, but you have to make the opponent scared to press a button AND make sure they don't hold up-back. It can be used as an alpha counter, but then you run the risk of losing your anchor.

If the main idea for point Filia is going for a hard-to-blockable setup, then you'd essentially have to create a team that revolves around that point character so you can score that setup. I understand what you're going for since in UMVC3 I play Haggar/Dante/Deadpool and just do air pipe + quickwork assist unblockables all day. However, once Filia dies, you're left with team Squigly/Bella. Panda Girl Bingo plays this team and it's viable. However, Squigly has to deal with incoming mixups and pressure. Cerecopter is a wonderful assist, but it won't help her get out of that situation.

Of course this is all theory fighting, but a majority of Squigly players rock her on point since Squigly has the space to charge and set up a mid range game early on. If your defense and Squigly/Bella game is solid, then I won't stop you from point Filia. In the end, just play and don't forget to have fun. Explore and discover all the cheap, dirty, gimmicky stuff your team has to offer.

I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from with these chars and their assist.If all I have to do is practice my defense and make sure my Squigly/Bella game is on point,I think I'll do pretty alright. Panda Girl Bingo huh? I'll look him/her up and see what I can steal I mean what I can learn from this player. Thanks for all your help.

I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from with these chars and their assist.If all I have to do is practice my defense and make sure my Squigly/Bella game is on point,I think I'll do pretty alright. Panda Girl Bingo huh? I'll look him/her up and see what I can steal I mean what I can learn from this player. Thanks for all your help.
She plays a ton of quick match, you're sure to run into her if you play online

I'm gonna assume she plays on PS3......right?
I'm stupid and i constantly forget that not everyone is a PC player. She's on PC, so you probably won't see her in that case

As long as I've played skullgirls, I don't know what an alpha counter is. can anyone explain? and are they the best counter?

When is the right time to pushblock and burst?

I'm stupid and i constantly forget that not everyone is a PC player. She's on PC, so you probably won't see her in that case

Oh well.Its all good though,I find her youtube channel,so I'll look at her tech for Squigly/Bella team.
As long as I've played skullgirls, I don't know what an alpha counter is. can anyone explain? and are they the best counter?

When is the right time to pushblock and burst?

I'm just gonna assume that alpha counter work in Skullgirls like it does in the Alpha series.So basically while in blockstun do QCB + Punch or Kick and you will be tagged out with your next char coming in and doing an attack.Who that helps.

Oh it should also cost a bar to use

The assist move follows the normal cancelling rules. If the assist move was a normal, it can chain and be cancelled into anything. If it was a special, it can only cancel into supers.

Is it possible to take the button assignment from specific keys like LK, LP, etc, from controllers?

Is it possible to take the button assignment from specific keys like LK, LP, etc, from controllers?
I'm not entirely sure of what you're asking, can you rephrase this?

I mean, it's hard to explain. There are the key bindings for each button. Like, my LP, MP and HP are I, O and P respectively. I want to take out those buttons and leave it unmapped like this, but with the controller buttons (on the left column). Is there a way?

I'm wondering if you can play two people on one team. As in I tag and my friend is controlling the other character. Thank you

Sorry, none of that cross tekken stuff here. Considering that you have the option for 3 character teams, that would be hard to implement.
You do have the "typing of the skullgirls" mode tho.

From patch notes:
  • Alternate game mode enabled by typing “gottatypefast!” using any keyboard during the start up logos. Applies to Arcade, Story, Local Versus, and Marie 300%. Does not apply online, in Tournament Mode, or in any Training mode.

• When enabled, a team is under control of a player and a partner using a keyboard. All Blockbusters give a typing prompt for the partner. Additional game rules change to emphasize typing:

• Both teams automatically generate meter.

• All attacks deal 33% base damage.

• A failed typing prompt deals 10% base damage for the Blockbuster, a complete prompt does 100%, and a perfect typing prompt does 150%.

• In single player modes, the player controlled team can complete the computer’s typing prompts to reduce damage.

I'm picking Skullgirls back up after being away from the game for such a long time and I noticed that they added frame data in the training mode. I was wondering the numbers on the bottom after you hit someone is Startup of Move/Advantage on hit when they are actually hit and it's Startup of Move/Advantage on block when they block? Just need clarification is all :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back