• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf Thread: Retiring from Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I looked at his channel first. I guess he hasn't had time to upload yet? This Donkey Kong style grab interests me.
youtube takes it time to process things. I mean, is up but not available yet.

youtube takes it time to process things. I mean, is up but not available yet.

Yeah I feel ya. But I was impatient and got the archives to work somehow and watched it there.

Bless you Mak.
They showed the intro too around an hour ago I think? It looks really great!

No kisses for those who spell my nickname wrong.

At 04:04:30
tumblr_nbu2gcRuh61r8n1s8o1_1280.png

Possibly Kinu and Ahad in the background?

At 04:04:30
Possibly Kinu and Ahad in the background?
That's Kinuko and Richard in his maid outfit which is a recurring joke.
I think this is Alex's?
That's Kinuko and uhhh...
I always forget his name, but it's not Alex.

Reactions: Cas Chronon
Looks like Brian [EU03] aka the palette guy

It's Richard guys. In the maid costume. The other one looks like Brian.

I mean besides making a wicked derp face...
I didn't even realize how walleyed he looks in that pose until now.
To answer your question, it could be meter gain, it could be a counter state, we just don't know.

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss
I hope there's a version with Mike too

It better be this face
index.php

Anyways, when I saw Beowulf's grabs, the first thing I could think of was the strong grapple and weak grapple system from THQ's Smackdown games. (Press O to tie up, then pressing O and a direction gives you a different throw depending on which direction you press)

I hope one of those throws is an Irish Whip of some sort

Beowulf update knocked the board out cold for a few hours. The hype is real!

Anyway - opponent carry grab mechanic? Well, I can safely rest knowing my support for Beowulf has been vindicated.

Side note, I'm wondering if Mike's Irish accent is a hint. I hope so. Hell! I was the one asking for Irish Whip move and Riverdance taunt.
(It would get Lab Zero into so much trouble but I'd love a "Incomprehensible Irish" voice pack.)

Anyone care to speculate on what holding down his punch'll do?
Disrespect the opponent.

Disrespect the opponent.

That's what all his moves do so far tbh
taste my yaoi hand, bitch

Side note, I'm wondering if Mike's Irish accent is a hint. I hope so. Hell! I was the one asking for Irish Whip move and Riverdance taunt.

Nah Mike was just messing around with us at the stream :d he went from russian accent to pirate(best) to irish to chinese etcetera. You have no idea how good it feels to tell MIKE SAY ARR and him going ARRRR

Last edited:
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
WHAT IF YOU CAN GRAB AN ASSIST LIKE THAT AND THROW THAT ASSIST AT THE POINT CHARACTER TO DAMAGE THEM BOTH LIKE A GOOD OLD FASHION BEAT 'EM UP?
Probably not since you can't grab assists.

It's not like it would be above anyone to lift the restriction on one move or something. Cosindering Beowulf is supposed to be all about "dat grab" it would even fit for him to able to do something no one else can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Denizen
Holding s lp seems to me like a type of crowd pleasing thing. So yeah, he could gain meter or something from that for the more fans or cheering he has.

Reactions: Cas Chronon
I'M LATE AND PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY SAID WHAT IM GONNA SAY BUT IM GONNA SAY IT ANYWAY

my theory on beowulfs lp came from when mike said it will do something important when held down. It made me think that, what if you held it for a certain amount of time and then you heard a crowd cheering audio cue (pretty much what everyone else has said, right), this made me think what if its one of these things:

1. The beginning of his taunt: some wrestlers have it in their taunt routine to drum up a reaction and then go into a pose, obv example would be hulk hogans ear thing (the inspiration obv) into muscle flexing. If this was it then the crowd reaction would probs signal the completion of the taunt (or the completion of a segment) like Bands note effect.

I can even see the ear bit being only part of his taunt command (a segment like I mentioned above) and the additional commands could be entered after the crowd is heard, also you could probably be able to keep listening just like band can keep saxin'

2. the start of a level 3 or higher BB: similar to taunts, you got wrestlers that showboat in a specific way to signal their finishers, and again, drum up crows reaction. So the crowd soundbyte in this effect could be the timing to throw out a BB motion and mash shit up. I cant remember if Ninja mentioned this here or not, but his idea of the lp staggering the opp could fit here too.

3. special mention goes to chickens meter gain idea, cause DAMN WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT! Its also arguably the most likely to happen out of it and the two above. I find this idea really cool because it sounds like Thor's mighty speech in MVC3 and i do remember someone hoping for beo to have a mighty speech move using a mic, so that would be pretty cool even if the mic is missing.

closing thoughts:

also that cr HP... OH LAWD. Can we use that as an assist? That'd be mad good surely...

also, pls dear god. I would vomit rainbow hype if any grabs done off that beat em up grab were the start of chain throws rather than a single grab.

Last edited:
Yes I know that, but this grab could be an exception.
Think outside of the box, embrace the possibilities.

Reactions: maysey
Yes I know that, but this grab could be an exception.
Think outside of the box, embrace the possibilities.

well there is that concept where he hurls them across the screen from a supposed normal throw... Could work, could work.

Holding s lp seems to me like a type of crowd pleasing thing.
Thinking a bit more about it, I'm wondering if it isn't something like the Salvo system in Shadow of Rome. Basically, after performing certain "crowd pleasing" actions, you could goad a response from the crowd to increase the style points and earn bonuses.
In this case, after doing certain actions like landing a Blockbuster or a counter-hit, the player has a limited time to hold s.LP and get a "reward" for it (maybe the meter gain that is being talked about). This would lend a heavy high risk/high reward component to Beowulf's gameplay as well as give it a sense of "dynamic showmanship".

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if Beowulf is already complete on paper. Every move, gimmick, etc already settled.

Man. Skullgirls really impresses me with all the character unique systems.
Persona Arena kind of is THE game for character specific systems in my book, although I definitely prefer Skullgirls overall. It wasn't until Big Bands parry that I really started to pay attention to and appreciate all the different playstyles offered by each character.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
"Finally.....THE ROCK HAS COME BACK.... TO OHIO....*cheers*.... your rooty poo...candy a..... "

I honestly like the idea that his throws are going to be more based around a hack'n slash beat 'em up. That hybrid mechanic just makes too much sense for it not to have been used yet (seen more, I dunno). The chair being rendered is also really cool. Really progressive ideas and really fun but then again so is the rest of the game.

I can't wait to see more wrestler references though. The intro shown at AX is fantastic. I think Beowulf's retirementception is going to take us all for a.......spin.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
i still want chain throws and i want the opponent to be mashing tech while i end up doing 15 throw movements at once

i really like buttons

Reactions: chickenwithtie
I want chain throws too, but I hope it's more like King chain throws and less like Mila. I love Mila but that's too many damn buttons.

Abel in sf can hit you with a launcher, roll, and AA grab.

I would love to see something like that with Wulf (eg. if throw recovery would be dash cancelable - throw > dash > grab > throw etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.