• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beta Wulf Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
good to know val is a grappler
I'd like to know what makes a character a grappler.
I'd like an explanation that isn't just "zangief is a grappler".

2. Don't you think the command grab should be able to go through ONE projectile or have ONE piece of armor?? just saying....
Nope.

Reactions: Flotilla
2. Don't you think the command grab should be able to go through ONE projectile or have ONE piece of armor?? just saying....
That's be straight up overpowered.
Give it to me.

I like to think of grapplers as characters that have command grabs as a fundamental part of their mix up game, beowulf's only grabs are a reactable ground grab, a punishable and semiblockable lv1 super and a lv3 so not a grappler at all.

Reactions: Cas Chronon
good to know val is a grappler

Fair Point. Although, there's little stopping anyone from playing Val Grapple-centric, with her normal throw being damn good. I sure did, not optimal at all but it made for some fun "there's no way he'll throw me again" mix ups.

I suppose where my logic falls off could be the mechanical differences of SG vs SF4. Abel may very well be a semi grappler as I described because he's always got his command grab in his back pocket because if hes trained the opp to block his other tools he can do it for a free knockdown and subsequent mix up (this being pretty damn important iN SF4) not to dissimilar to a grappler.

And then you have the Skullgirls side of things where Valentines command grab and normal throw that is arguably very very similar. But despite this, even taking into account how the game works, it still doesn't feel as core to me. Not to mention she has to spare meter on scalpel to convert off her grab, it feels like something you just throw out on occasion if the opp falls asleep. Val players feel free to slap me across the face if I'm wrong, my inexperience may obviously start showing.

Beowulf on the other hand, given grab modes mechanics and all the different tools and conversions it offers you it feels a lot more core. You're rewarded a lot with a lot more than just a scaled down combo ala vals throw, you can use splash or chair dance to get your grappler style knockdown, where your cross up options are not at all too dissimilar to a certain Russians knees and Body Splash. Given grab mode bleeds into his command grab, you have a real reason to reset with it to open up for more mix ups, which to me at least is a much better prospect than having to throw some scalpels to convert.

Same with his normal throw, where Val has hers in the corner of her mind, Beowulf's feels like a real threat and a all round better option for when youve suitably trained someone to block your shenanigans because of what you get out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if you lot were scoffing at the Street Fighter comparisons, but this idea that if you get the grab on a trained opponent, you can get that knock down mix up (on top of your usual small combo into reset through knees -> whatever) it feels a lot like Abel and how he uses his grabs which are a very important tool for him. So that's why I make the comparisons

But I dunno, if not for Grab Mode I would be having a super hard time explaining my points, even moreso than I already am... Beowulfs grapple tools definitely feel like something he should really REALLY consider, even if situational. As opposed to simply throwing it out because your a hipster/rebel/sneaky ninja. Thats my piece, Im aware its hard to agree with, bring on the snarky responses!

I would talk about his leap and stuff, but this is too long. As for what makes a grappler a grappler though its definitely if they have a grab as part of their mix up, but it had to be a very important tool that they are always actively considering and have ready. Something that, if anyone read and understood my messy arguement, Valentine does not actively do any of these things whereas IMO Beowulf definitely does/should

AND BREATH.

Last edited:
A normal throw is a part of every character's mixup game, it doesn't make beowulf more of a grappler because of what happens after you grab them, you don't get more reward than anyone else going for throws just because they act a bit differently

Reactions: mcpeanuts
A normal throw is a part of every character's mixup game, it doesn't make beowulf more of a grappler because of what happens after you grab them, you don't get more reward than anyone else going for throws just because they act a bit differently

I suppose?

feels much more than a "bit" though...

I like to think of grapplers as characters that have command grabs as a fundamental part of their mix up game
So fukua is a grappler?

so then this iceskater would also be a grappler too?

1bAIlYz.gif

cause that move is totaly an atomic buster.

i'm sorry. nah not really.

So fukua is a grappler?

interestingly, this isnt illogical. She ticks all the semi grappler boxes I mentioned in my wall of texts, but its not a widely used archetype so I dont know if its enough to label her a grappler if Beowulf cant.

you could certainly play her as a grappler, mileage may vary on that grab startup though haha.

I knew I should have added the mention "this is a genuine question"...
I'd love to keep the conversation going, but it looks like it will be completely off-topic. If someone kows where it would be relevant...

I knew I should have added the mention "this is a genuine question"...
I'd love to keep the conversation going, but it looks like it will be completely off-topic. If someone kows where it would be relevant...
Technically she is and is also a zoner. Like fastest grab is designed to push the oppnonet back into zoning range. imo she is more of a zoner tho than a grappler because of her most annoying tools are zoning type

A grappler is based around making the opponent fear the command grab. Their normals often are good for swatting you for trying to get away from the command grab or putting you in situations where you remember the command grab. Zangief, Hugo, Makoto, Abel.

When did Makoto become a grupplah
Her whole gameplan is to get into karakusa range and fuck you for guessing wrong between that and strike. Just blocking a hayate is a bad idea.

The premise of fukua's gameplay was to put pre-alpha zoner filia and grappler filia together in one character, she is WAAAAAY more grappler-like than beowulf although her grabs are not relevant enough to make her a "real" grappler imo

Fukua's command grabs feel like panic buttons

Fukua's command grabs feel like panic buttons
You panic in a very weird way then

Beowulf makes me relieved to have taken an interest in VSav when I did.

Grapplers want to be close to you rather than fullscreen. A requirement for a grappler is that there be a command grab, i.e. untechable. The other major requirement is that the command grab be a real part of their gameplan, i.e. you are going to be looking for it to dodge it and that lets you be hit by other things. That does not require that the grab be fast, just that it be scary if landed. The threat is the important part, and the other half of it is having something that's equally threatening if they DODGE the grab, like Airwulf or Excellabella. Even if you never land a command grab, as happens often while playing Makoto or even Potemkin, the fact that you have it means you can land other things.

Valentine is not a grappler because her command throw is not a MAJOR part of her gameplan, it's a sometimes part, and she hasn't got a guaranteed answer if you guessed the grab and jumped. You're not thinking about it very much when fighting her, because even if she lands it she doesn't get much off it, and most of her pressure doesn't involve it.
Fukua is not really a grappler for the same reasons, and the fact that she's comfortable away from you. She's Seth, you can sneak in grabs sometimes but you're equally happy not doing so.
Beowulf is a "hybrid" grappler as are Alex or Abel, in that he has lots of ways to deal damage that are not throws, but throws are also a major tool for him. He has options that cover both areas. If the opponent guesses a grab every time, you can Airwulf every time for free. The threat is there.

Also worth noting, his command grab goes into recovery as soon as it reaches you, which means even jumping it doesn't always get you a punish.

Thing that looks weird: I think mike would be interested in this, but I wont tag him because I think he reads this anyways?
Beowulf/L Beat Extend. If you call beat extend and grab your opponent before he gets hit you end up behind big band until the finisher.
This should be fixed already, right?

This should be fixed already, right?

I tried it earlier today and I couldn't get it to happen again with Beowulf so yeah it seems to be fine now.

Grapplers want to be close to you
That is also not true for beowulf with j.hp and blitzer. His normal throws are still regular techable throws and you don't have to look out for the command grab because it's easily reactable, air wulf is a bad option offensively and the lv3 is a lv3. Grab is as much an option for him as it is for anyone else.

That is also not true for beowulf with j.hp and blitzer. His normal throws are still regular techable throws and you don't have to look out for the command grab because it's easily reactable, air wulf is a bad option offensively and the lv3 is a lv3. Grab is as much an option for him as it is for anyone else.
He hasn't got a multi-use projectile, so he wants to be close to you in order to deal any damage. :^P
Air Wulf is safe, that's more than a lot of supers have going for them. And it hits up-back. Unsubscribe.

Reactions: Denizen
FINISHER'S BUILD HYPE
A LOTTA HYPE

yup so those combos that I made a while back have a reason to be doing so now

HAH AH HA HA HA I THOUGHT OF THIS.

i did not

Only builds hype if he lands on the chair

Wait, what? How is higher than average damage, higher than average meter gain, optional corner carry, and optional crumple not more reward than anybody else? Beowulf has literally the best throws in the game after they connect.

How is higher than average damage,
that's just not true
higher than average meter gain, optional corner carry, and optional crumple
the meter gain is only like 1/4 of a bar for 4 headbutts and some character probably get more overall from a full follow up then he does, and the corner carry and crumple are also not exclusive to him. Val for example can get all of thoses things and get almost the same meter. His throw is really good since you can choose what you want from it but it's not SUPER good and definitely doesn't make him a grappler.

@Mike_Z Hey Mike you can't DHC into BFF from Beowulfs grendel killa and diving wolf dog. Is that something that could be fixed? :(

I just bought this game, have had it for a while on PSN and happily surprised my laptop can handle it! Anyways playing around with Beowulf I'm having a hard time getting the timing right for commandgrab-Trashcan. I'm doing HPHK because the other is impossible for my layout and I can't get it no matter how hard I try. I can do it 8/10 if I put HPHK to Macro2 but I'm already using it and I feel like I'm doing it right with the manual simultaneous button push so I have no clue whether it's just super strict or dammit.

I just bought this game, have had it for a while on PSN and happily surprised my laptop can handle it! Anyways playing around with Beowulf I'm having a hard time getting the timing right for commandgrab-Trashcan. I'm doing HPHK because the other is impossible for my layout and I can't get it no matter how hard I try. I can do it 8/10 if I put HPHK to Macro2 but I'm already using it and I feel like I'm doing it right with the manual simultaneous button push so I have no clue whether it's just super strict or dammit.
What do you get instead? Can you put up a video?

@Mike_Z Hey Mike you can't DHC into BFF from Beowulfs grendel killa and diving wolf dog. Is that something that could be fixed? :(
Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lmao you found a general issue with BFF, she shouldn't step forward at all if it's a DHC, lemme see if fixing that helps.

the meter gain is only like 1/4 of a bar for 4 headbutts
Because it's a throw, it's 1/4 of a bar NO MATTER WHERE IN THE COMBO YOU ARE, even with your meter gain scaled down to minimum. Which is not true for other characters in that situation.

and some character probably get more overall from a full follow up then he does
I'm not sure what that has to do with being a grappler, since Zangief doesn't get any followups from an SPD etc etc.

and the corner carry and crumple are also not exclusive to him.
He's the only character that gets comboable meterless crumple, so that's exclusive to him, and he's the only character that gets a meterless assistless untechable knockdown after already using his OTG, so that's exclusive to him too, and he's the only character that can jump you across 1/3 of the stage into said meterless assistless untechable knockdown, so that's also exclusive to him.

You're not helping that whole send-Brazil-to-Combo-Breaker thing by continuing this. :^P

Status
Not open for further replies.