• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beta Wulf Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try that then. Figuring out where the chair is has been a problem for me too. I wish there was an indicator for where it was because if I just throw it I immediately lose track of it v-v

Reactions: Fumako and Denizen
Here are some things I've noticed

Chair St.hp

Really good move, but suffers from having the hurtbox come out before the hitbox. Makes its uses as an anti air/ space control move difficult and you can't use it on reaction to things, it has to be a read. If it hits though, you get a combo off it because of wolf blitzer, so it is still a very strong move.

Double Snap

I've been doing Snap -> St.LK, St.MP Mic Drop, Cr.HP -> J.HK (uncombos here) repeat. Builds 1 level of hype if your opponent had full health. St.MP Mic Drop -> Cr.HP is really weird though... so I just mash Cr.HP once I see the mic has dropped.

Heavy chair toss reversal

I guess all you get out of this is arm? Or the air grab super if you're in that range. Kinda sucks that's all you get, but you get people off you + corner carry. Cons obv are you lose your chair and its annoying to get back, and usually you can't combo off of arm.(I believe if you time arm correctly you can, but I haven't done it yet)

Hype

Do any of you know how to reliably get this in game other than just killing a character and then taunting? Having it is kinda really important. iirc 4 mic drops = 1 taunt, any combos routes out there to take advantage of this?

Thing that looks weird: I think mike would be interested in this, but I wont tag him because I think he reads this anyways?

Beowulf/L Beat Extend. If you call beat extend and grab your opponent before he gets hit you end up behind big band until the finisher.

Getting a Excell/A-Train assist helps you get a free level of Hype without needing to KO a character first, especially H A-Train

Throw finishers will build hype eventually.

I hope so. People keep mentioning that and that would really help a lot and encourage more throw finishers.

Reactions: Denizen
Throw finishers will build hype eventually.
I didn't hear about that, holy shit that would change things up.

Alright guys, I been lurking here and there for a bit. Beo can do the damage, but my question and thinking is how the hell does he get in aside from j.HP? I really love the character, but comparing him to the rest of the cast so far, seems like he have a hard time getting in unless back up with an assist that can help him out. Hows been the match up's been so far for those who played against other people in beta?

Alright guys, I been lurking here and there for a bit. Beo can do the damage, but my question and thinking is how the hell does he get in aside from j.HP? I really love the character, but comparing him to the rest of the cast so far, seems like he have a hard time getting in unless back up with an assist that can help him out. Hows been the match up's been so far for those who played against other people in beta?

I really don't feel he has a hard time getting in on anyone aside of you guessed it - Peacock. All you have to do in other match ups is put your opponent in blockstun (jhp, shp and even c.hk all work really well even at max range) and you can almost get in for free with Wulf Blitzer. Even if you happen to get push blocked out you are back at optimal j.hp/s.hp/c.hk range so rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Alright guys, I been lurking here and there for a bit. Beo can do the damage, but my question and thinking is how the hell does he get in aside from j.HP?

I'm by no means the best but heres what I can gather from playing:

- Chairless Sweep -> tech roll forward is good approach, paticularly good for peacock where your match up is ASS otherwise
- Grendal Arm, this ones pretty risky but that can be why it can be so effective, they wont expect you to use it just to fly in, also the invuln will eat through a lot of stuff, so its not all bad to throw this out if you see them so much as twitch. Also, its pretty damn fast even with the start up it has, Squigly thinks shes safe charging silver chord at fullscreen? My sides.
- Airwulf (leap) this ones just a glorified jumping hard punch, but its good because its hard to punish
- Command Grab, I am a grappler player, so I appreciate the mind games of just completely disrespecting your opponent and going balls deep with this, and it works sometimes. Your mileage may vary.
- Wulf Blitzer - see command grab, but you can get some cheeky crossups if your savvy.
- Chair toss, honourable mention because if you're a nutter and manage to get a hit in with one of these at full screen you got a arm confirm or a hop dash in depending on distance

I really don't feel he has a hard time getting in on anyone aside of you guessed it - Peacock.
Really? Peacock I found to be one of the better match ups to land hits in for beowulf because of chairless sweep. She loses the ability to throw projectiles because its a free hit, and if she throws a projectile and calls an assist the assist is getting bodied too. This wrecks Peacock/LNL/Brass/Bomber zoning patterns.

The characters I have the most trouble with are Valentine and Squigly. Unless you have 1 level of hype built up, they can kinda jump around you all day really easily, and you don't stand a chance if you want to air to air them. St.HP works okay, but suffers from having its hurtbox come out before the hitbox, and while its a small window it usually ends up with me getting hit very often. Being unable to do dash up low without it being really easy to see is what hurts him the most here I feel, so I resort to J.hp and blitzer like you mentioned, but its hard to land a clean hit I find. At least when you run Beowulf + LNL. Other assists would probably help him convert off random hits a lot better.
- Command Grab, I am a grappler player, so I appreciate the mind games of just completely disrespecting your opponent and going balls deep with this, and it works sometimes. Your mileage may vary.
Ahhhh everyone just up backs!!! Conditioning people to get hit by this is so hard lmao

Reactions: Denizen
Ahhhh everyone just up backs!!! Conditioning people to get hit by this is so hard lmao

THATS WHY ITS GENIUS, MUHAHAHAHA

then again, I use excella as an assist and I'm quite twitchy with doing Airwulf on reaction to a jump. So maybe I just got the tools :D

I don't feel any matchup is particularly terrible for Beowulf right now. Neutral against Fukua can be annoying and Peacock requires you to throw away the chair if you want to compete, which is risky, but does give quite an advantage.

Getting in on anyone else is just spacing a normal and then wulf cannon.

why is it that grapple > da grendel killa (b.mk) on the ground does more damage than the jumping version???

Presumably because jumping gives you easier positioning than walking does, and that's to compensate.

Heavy chair toss reversal

I guess all you get out of this is arm? Or the air grab super if you're in that range. Kinda sucks that's all you get, but you get people off you + corner carry. Cons obv are you lose your chair and its annoying to get back, and usually you can't combo off of arm.(I believe if you time arm correctly you can, but I haven't done it yet)

!

You're alive! Thanks for the video. I'm gonna check when I can do this later.

I really don't feel he has a hard time getting in on anyone aside of you guessed it - Peacock.

Don't you end up having a field day with Peacock if you land Dead Arm Time? Wallsplat, corner positioning, all that good stuff that Peacock doesn't want Beowulf to have?

Don't you end up having a field day with Peacock if you land Dead Arm Time? Wallsplat, corner positioning, all that good stuff that Peacock doesn't want Beowulf to have?

My initial experience against a peacock as Beo was against Swiftfoxdash. I didn't have much experience with the character at the time and I played strictly with the chair in hand. I was too afraid of the extra chip Beowulf takes without it. After playing more matches since then, yes. All of those things make the match up tons easier. It was more the way I was playing Beowulf opposed to what I should've been doing. Ah the learning process!

Reactions: dekillsage
I've been messing around with Beowulf in the lab.

I've only tried this with a couple of characters, Filia doesn't work so far. +9 close up seems really nice on a forward tech, and the high hitting chair with potentially a low hitting assist or grendel arm also seems nice.

There was a mention of safe jumps a bit earlier in the thread, so I tested a few characters.

chair dance into jump back j.hp is super easy and works on a lot of stuff. Parasoul gets up slowly, so delay with a tiny walk back before jumping. Valentine's counter can be baited on a read by cancelling j.hp late into qcf+hk and then re-directing to punish. Fortune's fiber upper is better to block than make it whiff, so if she's meterless a neutral jump is better. Fukua's level 3 straight up beats this setup. Filia's gregor trades.

Also some frame traps might be handy to know. MP, MK or hop j.MK into HK seem ok. c.MK qcf+throw looks like the designated command throw setup. LP leads into LK or plinked throw obviously.

Still messing around in the lab;

HP chair is +12 on block. +12. What?

That means you can use sweep into qcf+hp on their wakeup, on hit they can tech towards you and you're +9, if they're a character who gets hit by the chair on a back tech, you get advantage that way too. On mash, chair beats pillar and recovers before updo. Then there's +12 on block.

Canis major press as oki is interesting. Painwheel's get up animation lets you hop j.lk (or j.hp) to get to the other side and land with c.lk to catch jumps. You can high/low by walking for a moment, then hop j.lk or just stand lk. Those two normals look very similar on the upper body, so it should be tricky to block. the hop is safe against pillar etc, and you could try lk cancelled to qcf+hp to bait reversals, but it wouldn't combo if the low hits.

I think hp chair is fair, because he can only really use it "once" and he needs to retrieve the chair again

Can anyone tell me why they use 2LK 2MP as a confirm instead of 2MK?

It seems to be a theme among all new characters that people do things like this that I just don't understand.

Reactions: ClarenceMage
2MP does more damage and has further range. 2MK is mostly only for hitting low and/or doing grab stuff.

2MK hits from absolute max 2LK range, so that is completely irrelevant in this situation.

Sure it does 100 more damage, but you are using a -ve move when 2MK is there and is +4, seems silly to me.

Like, if you are autopiloting past medium, you are susceptible to PBGC, so stopping at 2 hits is usually the best on block as your layer 1 of mixup. 2MK is +4 2MP is -ve, so.

Reactions: ClarenceMage

So this is an almost unblockable I found with beo. The only way to block it to block high then switch to cross-up low REALLY FAST or to block high then push-block IMMEDIATELY and hold down. also big thanks to @worldjem for figuring out how to block it.

I do love wulf cannon crossups on knockdown, can time them to be really hard to reversal, lots of fun.

Low assist does look like it makes it dirtier, hitting mid makes the setup so good, that's a different type of hard to blockable I hadn't considered.

You don't have to block the crossup if it's as fast as depicted in the video. Absolute Guard from the initial blocked hit will autoblock the crossup for you; all you have to do is pay attention to the high/low and which direction the first hit is blocked.

From what I understand, the only way to negate the initial left/right of the setup is to block it high right? If you crouch it is a deadly 50/50. If you stand you then have to block down back the other side very quickly.

Then there would be further layers to the setup, whiff a forward beast cannon over them to make the assist crossup and catch their attempted block switch, just plain crossup overhead etc.

Looks like a pretty nice setup to me, the question is how easily reversed it is with the timing shown.

This is a pretty no-brainer fuzzy that I don't really see people doing enough.
Works on everyone that isn't Cerebella or Painwheel. A little strict on Peacock outside of the corner. Most consistent way I've been able to do it is neutral jump j.LK > delay j.HK but against a few character you can jump forward.

EDIT: Seems more reliable to do j.HP instead of j.HK on Peacock.

EDIT EDIT: Just realized why my timing is off sometimes. Depending on if you do wulf press slam or chair trepak, the opponent will be positioned slightly differently when they stand back up, partially due to the stand-up animations being flipped depending on which one you do.

Last edited:
That is not an instance of fuzzy guard. That's an instant overhead that works because you're hitting on the first frame of the to-crouch transition.

Stuff like that also doesn't work if they're actually holding down-back because of pre-block (crouching pre-block vs air was readded specifically for this reason)

Last edited:
Reactions: Izzmo
Stuff like that also doesn't work if they're actually holding down-back because of pre-block (crouching pre-block vs air was readded specifically for this reason)
Hmm, you're totally right. Didn't realize the readded preblock effected this.

1. btw when does beowulf drop for Retail?
2. Don't you think the command grab should be able to go through ONE projectile or have ONE piece of armor?? just saying....

Don't you think the command grab should be able to go through ONE projectile or have ONE piece of armor?? just saying....

Seeing as Beowulf is a grappler that has an amazing amount of options at mid to close range I don't think armor would be needed since he can close distance in other ways. Besides that command grab is meant to be used at mid to close range as well as for resets and mixups not to close distance and then some. Or I could be completely wrong. Skin me alive accordingly if I am.

Last edited:
1. btw when does beowulf drop for Retail?
2. Don't you think the command grab should be able to go through ONE projectile or have ONE piece of armor?? just saying....
1. Two Weeks like always.
2. HA HA No... I think it's fine just the way it is. It's speedy after startup and covers alot of ground. Best used when doing a dirty reset with a lock down assist like LnL, or copter but you'll have to time the move just right to make it so it doesn't whiff because the opponent is still in block stun.

Beowulf is arguably a grappler, he just occupies the weird "semi grappler" sub type, alongside the likes of Abel and (never played him but looks like it) Alex. This sub type often has a command grab for mix up alongside a high low game rather than having the command grabs as your main game plan ala true grapplers like Zangief and Bella.

This sub type is weird because you can easily blur the lines betwen a semi and true grappler, as semi grapplers CAN be played like a true grappler, it just deoends how much the player decides to use the grab. I play abel for example and use his command grab alot like I would use Zangief's (walk ups, empty jumps etc) in order to cover for the fact I'm still learning the mix up game of his standing overhead, high low rekkas and dash kick etc.

TL:DR: beowulf in my eyes is a semi-grappler, you have ytour command grab and in this case your normal throws as a mix up tool to supplement your wider mix up game, as opposed to it being your primary damage and fear tool we expect from traditional "true" grapplers

Also, theres a lot of street fighter in this post, allow me to balance it out with some skullgirls common stuff; Waifu, Waifu, Skullheart, WHY IS MAN IN GAME IS SKULLGURLS DUH. There we go, all balanced :)

Reactions: Cas Chronon
Status
Not open for further replies.