• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Big Band Story Mode Discussion - MASSIVE SPOILERS

See animated cutscenes would be absolutely awesome, but as my fellow Wulf pack brother, Denizen stated, they're sadly strapped for cash. Plus, its more work to get in the way of their already busy schedule. That's why I mentioned the additional voice work for cutscenes. It would need far less cash and logistics and could be completed by part of the team while the rest focus on Eliza.

See animated cutscenes would be absolutely awesome, but as my fellow Wulf pack brother, Denizen stated, they're sadly strapped for cash. Plus, its more work to get in the way of their already busy schedule. That's why I mentioned the additional voice work for cutscenes. It would need far less cash and logistics and could be completed by part of the team while the rest focus on Eliza.
Voice actors need to be compensated for their work, so it would still be rather expensive to have voice acting in the cut scenes. But I would love to see that one day.

Voice actors need to be compensated for their work, so it would still be rather expensive to have voice acting in the cut scenes. But I would love to see that one day.
Oh agreed, that's why in my initial post I asked if L0 take donations. I know they're tired of crowdfunding at the moment, but I figured a few donations for this extra thing couldn't hurt and wouldn't be opposed due to the "waifu wars" component that caused issues over who would get in.

The more and more we talk about this storymode the more and more I wish we had Rich Brown narrate all of his story mode lines. I'm dead serious here, I'd donate quite a bit for a little extra audio from the cast. I know L0 is done with crowd funding and such, but do we know if they take donations at all?
That'd be around $2-3k, I think, including studio time and Vince implementing all of it. Best of luck!
Plus I am not sure we have the memory to spare during story scenes.

That'd be around $2-3k, I think, including studio time and Vince implementing all of it. Best of luck!
How much memory would it take to have audio during the dialog/cut scenes? I know some of them had some short sound effects. Also, Hi Mike!

Nooooo! Aww man, I'd totally be willing to try and round up folks for the 2-3k donations. What makes the sting worse is on my playlist, it literally just started playing a song named "Crisis" that's very "impending doom" in tone. D:

Thanks for the response by the way, much appreciated.

(Actually, it was Lab 3 who made the super soldiers! Like Panzerfaust. The more you know!)

Lab 0 is the off-the-books Lab that seems to be into producing human weapons like Lab 8, but with none of the reservations about committing horrible sins in the name of scientific progress. From what it seems, some of the other Labs might have been that way as well, but they're all shut down now anyway. At the very least, Lab 8 is the moral Lab.
I don't think I've mentioned in a while how much I love your casual complete encyclopedic knowledge of the Labs.

I love your casual complete encyclopedic knowledge of the Labs.

Unrelated, but who else was waiting till the end of the credits to see if there was an extra clip at the end like Squigly's?

Last edited:
Unrelated, but who else was waiting till the end of the credits to see if there was an extra clip at the end like Squigly's?
I was a little down when I didn't see a clip after the credits rolled, but I loved Big Band's storymode and I'm glad we finally got a happy(ish) ending!

I wait till the end of the credits regardless, Skullgirls has the best credits sequence ever.

By now I think I know the lyrics to In A Moment's Time by heart.

Yeah, I waited too. I'm a slave to waiting through credits for stingers. Ironically, the one story mode that has one was the first time I watched the whole credits through since the first time through Filia's story.

Note that my estimate doesn't mean we'd necessarily do it if we got the money, but it's more likely than not. :^)

How much memory would it take to have audio during the dialog/cut scenes? I know some of them had some short sound effects. Also, Hi Mike!
Yeah, but the way that Otter works, all the sounds required by the scene are loaded at once, so we'd have to redo his story mode as a bunch of separate scenes I thinkkkkkkkkk.

I don't think I've mentioned in a while how much I love your casual complete encyclopedic knowledge of the Labs.

I love your complete encyclopedic knowledge of the Labs.

Aww thanks :> What can I say? When I love the lore of something, it just sort of sticks to my brain.

Note that my estimate doesn't mean we'd necessarily do it if we got the money, but it's more likely than not. :^)

Yeah, but the way that Otter works, all the sounds required by the scene are loaded at once, so we'd have to redo his story mode as a bunch of separate scenes I thinkkkkkkkkk.

Not about Big Band's story in particular, but in terms of potential future storymodes--so it would actually be possible to have voiced cutscenes in things, barring the cost factor? I was under the impression that the memory issues mentioned just made the idea of it flat-out unfeasible in general for any storymode.

Curiosity. How many work hours it takes to fully voice a single character?

Edit: Also, what is the cost (in money and time) to update the old characters battle dialogue after a new character gets in?

Not about Big Band's story in particular, but in terms of potential future storymodes--so it would actually be possible to have voiced cutscenes in things, barring the cost factor? I was under the impression that the memory issues mentioned just made the idea of it flat-out unfeasible in general for any storymode.
Dunno, we haven't done it yet.
I mean, as a programmer, the answer is "if we spent enough time making it work it could likely work", but what "enough time" is and whether it's worth spending that time to make it work is the thing. And for that, I'd have to know whether or not it already would work easily and approximately what would need to change to make it work.
(This answer applies to basically any "What would it take to do X in the game?" question. A good programmer never says No unless time or cost prohibits doing the thing, because otherwise the answer is Yes.)

Curiosity. How many work hours it takes to fully voice a single character?
A very long time (like, months) to agree on a script, between 2 and 4 hours of studio time and recording, and then a few weeks to a month of work for the voices to get put in/levels/effects/fixed/etc.

Edit: Also, what is the cost (in money and time) to update the old characters battle dialogue after a new character gets in?
Dunno, we haven't done it yet.

Would be interesting to try, though this could mean you'd be seeing LOADING right in the middle of conversations if it doesn't actually fit.

Now I wonder what kind of hellish bugs would pop up trying to implement sounds to every piece of dialogue. For example, Brady and I spent a combined 7 hours just trying to figure out why a single line of dialogue inexplicably caused the scene it was spoken in to inherit the persistent animation of the previous shot. The dialogue had nothing to do with anything so why was it messing with a shot it doesn't even have control over??? Just crazy bugs for seemingly no reason.

A very long time (like, months) to agree on a script, between 2 and 4 hours of studio time and recording, and then a few weeks to a month of work for the voices to get put in/levels/effects/fixed/etc.
Huh, I didn't know that.
See, another thing about Skullgirls I like is that I get to see the development period and hard work you guys put into the game.
Trying not to sound like a kiss ass but failing.

To be fair, for that first thing it's mostly the "agreeing" part rather than the "script" part. :^P
Do you guys cut lines you wish you could of had? There must of been some bloopers too.
(Potential material to sell?)

Definitely enjoyed Big Band's story mode. I like how there's a lot more character interaction, ESPECIALLY between him and Peacock.

I kinda wished that after you beat Marie, she and Peacock would still have their little moment before she dies. THEN they can escape. But oh well.

Also, I LOVE that little burn BB gave Peacock at the end.

Reactions: LKArtillery
I'd love to see the original 8 characters have their story modes get the 'new character' treatment with more fleshed out dialogue and character interactions but I guess that's not likely to happen any time soon.

Yeah, I'd be more worried about getting all the other characters out there before that happened. But at least from what we can take from Big Band's story and all the positive feedback, we'll be getting some even greater stories for the new characters.

Kind of excited for Eliza now since she's the most plot relevant character we got in the dlc vote by a landslide.

It'll also be interesting to see how they pull off Beowulf, especially with how they need to make it just as good as Big Band's so that he can get attention and not be ridiculed for not being female.

I'm excited for Beowulf because he's going to give us an entirely new side of the story that we've never seen before. It's a fact that Beowulf has had no interaction with the playable cast until now, so I expect that Alex Ahad and the rest of Lab Zero are going to pull out all of the stops for this final DLC.

Kind of excited for Eliza now since she's the most plot relevant character we got in the dlc vote by a landslide.
If Alex replaced Umbrella with Big Band, does that means he has some plot relevance?
Would it be NDA-breaking if we got a list of least relevant to story to most relevant?

If Alex replaced Umbrella with Big Band, does that means he has some plot relevance?
Would it be NDA-breaking if we got a list of least relevant to story to most relevant?
I seriously doubt that there are NDAs for lore.

I seriously doubt that there are NDAs for lore.
There was one for Juju (then again, the entire character was revealed, so maybe there is no lore NDA, but maybe Alex wants the story to be a secret and he wants to reveal stuff throughout the story on his own)

There was one for Juju (then again, the entire character was revealed, so maybe there is no lore NDA, but maybe Alex wants the story to be a secret and he wants to reveal stuff throughout the story on his own)
That was an NDA on the business processes behind allowing juju to be in the dlc vote. NOT an NDA on juju's lore.

Reactions: Denizen
There's no NDA on lore, but it's Alex's baby so no one says stuff about the storyline unless he okays it. Likely most people on the team don't even know anything about the lore aside from him.

Do you guys cut lines you wish you could of had? There must of been some bloopers too.
(Potential material to sell?)
The idea scares me... a lot.

Remember what happened with THAT timeout animation they cut from filia?

One wrong sentence/idea and we'll get another headache for them.

@Denizen Yeah agree with everything you said (except for Cerebella being a scrub, she's awesome.)
I had a sneaking suspicion that Irvin and Big Band had a history together, being detectives, and I was happy when that came into the plot. (I agree he looks younger than he is, but then again so does Big Band.) It's interesting that he and Nadia team up even without her first defeating the Skullgirl. Assuming the kidnappings happen at the same time in every 'reality' then we can assume Big band's story starts later than Fortune's.

We should also note that Medici Tower only get's destroyed in Squigly and Big Band's stories. You can argue that the 'Rooftop Assault' stage didn't exist back then, but the tower does appear (in tact) in Cereballa, Ms. Fortune's and Peacock's story modes. SO maybe the original 8 beat Marie before she has a chance to destroy the tower and Big Band and Squigly are too late to stop her.

Last edited:
I was so shocked Big Band didn't fight Squigly in his story, I mean what other chance would she get to appear as an opponent?

@Flotilla I think it's awesome that the DLC characters are getting these fleshed out story modes, but it kind of makes the original 8 characters' stories look kinda bland in comparison.

Last edited:
We should also note that Medici Tower only get's destroyed in Squigly and Big Band's stories. You can argue that the 'Rooftop Assault' stage didn't exist back then, but the tower does appear (in tact) in Cereballa, Ms. Fortune's and Peacock's story modes. SO maybe the original 8 beat Marie before she has a chance to destroy the tower and Big Band and Squigly are too late to stop her.
Nah, it probably has to do with the real world fact that Lab Zero just didn't make the stage yet. I consider the story modes of the DLC characters far more trustworthy since they were made later and have more content to show us.

Compared to Big Band's story, Filia's story is barely even a story.

Story, story, story.

@Denizen Totally agree, you can tell lore and concepts changed as the game progressed. I'd love 'updated' story modes for the original cast, but I guess I'll have to wait for Skullgirls 2: Re-Encore. But I think we'll have to get the complete story of SG1 first, meaning Dahlia, Umbrella and Marie's stories.

We ARE saying 'story' a lot aren't we?