• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Blazblue

Appreciate the resources.
I've been looking into getting good at Xrd, but I've got too many fighting games I'm trying to improve in right now, so it'll need to wait...

Guilty Gear is much, much, much faster then Blazblue in pretty much every way. If you feel slower, it's because you haven't adapted to the movement or character options as well.

Like I said (or rather attempted to ninja edit into my last post) combos are rather irrelevant compared to an excellent neutral game with good pacing and strong fundamentals, which Guilty Gear absolutely has. If you're playing fighters for combos and not strategy, IMO you'd be better off playing a rhythm game.

Guilty Gear Combo. Not sure why you'd want anything longer then this, would be a good way to disrupt the flow of the match.

Hell, give me Vampire Savior combos. That games speed is insane.

Guilty Gear just feels slow.
I can't explain it. Blazblue feels like it's more interesting in every way. Meanwhile Guilty Gear combos are nearly effortless, the neutral is just a lot of running around, and once a player achieves any kind of momentum, matches feel one sided.
Mixups are easy to read so offense is just a lot of blocking until eventually you wait them out. When am I ever actually going to get hit by Ky's overhead spin.
Grabs feel really awkward to actually perform...It's just unpleasant. And as I said, combos are not long. They are incredibly damaging, but I don't feel like I deserve that damage.

Plus I refuse to play the prior versions to Xrd. Xrd might be slower, but I'd rather take that than even more of the same problems I've listed already. I've played the older versions and they're either worse, or just bad.

Even in the matches you provided, a player gets a combo, and then proceeds to just pressure until the match ends. In Blazblue, defense feels more potent, and it isn't just "Okay I'll wait this out I guess". Instead of having an onslaught of easy to block attacks, Blazblue has mixups to differ just mindless pressure and reaction.

Xrd IS slower though. People were even saying so from the first sessions with the alpha/beta builds.
My main experience is with Xrd, so that might be why.
Played a bit of #Reload on Steam to get adjusted with the mechanics, though.

Guilty Gear just feels slow.
I can't explain it. Blazblue feels like it's more interesting in every way.

Abstract "feeling" that can't be explained in a game you've barely played vs feeling in a game you've played a lot.

I wonder if that "feeling" of being slow and awkward could have anything to do with not playing it, since almost all fighters feel that way when you first pick them up and aren't well adapted to their techniques/execution/engine/controls/etc.. Naw, couldn't be.

Not trying to be snarky here, but seriously.

Mixups are easy to read so offense is just a lot of blocking until eventually you wait them out.

Have you even watched high level/tournament play? I'm sorry, but saying a game filled with borderline unreactable mix ups (holy shit Millia), unblockables, etc. is "easy to read" pretty much disqualifies you from continuing this conversation.

*edit* note I am talking about pre-Xrd only. I completely agree that game worse than Blazblue.

Plus I refuse to play the prior versions to Xrd. Xrd might be slower, but I'd rather take that than even more of the same problems I've listed already. I've played the older versions and they're either worse, or just bad.

Xrd is slower, simpler, shallower, and not half as well balanced. If that's what you like...

Even in the matches you provided, a player gets a combo, and then proceeds to just pressure until the match ends. In Blazblue, defense feels more potent, and it isn't just "Okay I'll wait this out I guess". Instead of having an onslaught of easy to block attacks, Blazblue has mixups to differ just mindless pressure and reaction.

I'm not sure what you're even trying to argue here. On one hand you're saying that Blazblue has more defense, but you're also saying Guilty Gear has more blocking. You fault the game for having pressure/wake up game (which pretty much every fighter does, Blazblue as much or more so) and then say it has poor defense? Contradictions etc.

Last edited:
Abstract "feeling" that cant be explained in a game you've barely played vs feeling in a game you've played a lot.

I wonder if that "feeling" of being slow and awkward could have anything to do with not playing it, since almost all fighters feel that way when you first pick them up and aren't well adapted to their techniques/execution/engine/controls/etc.. Naw, couldn't be.

Not trying to be snarky here, but seriously.

Have you even watched high level/tournament play? I'm sorry, but saying a game filled with borderline unreactable mix ups is "easy to read" pretty much disqualifies you from continuing this conversation.

Are we still talking about Pre-Xrd, or Xrd?
I already said that Pre-Xrd isn't worth playing. So if this is Pre-Xrd than I had no idea. As with Xrd, If there's "Unreactables", I've never felt like it. The closest I've had to trouble reacting is some Zato setups. And if there are unreactables in Pre-Xrd, that's a flaw in itself.
Xrd itself is flawed, but I can see it's points. And I have actually played quite a bit of Guilty Gear. It's just I'm not invested in it. It just doesn't have the kind of things a game needs to be interesting to me. Meanwhile Blazblue just has better mechanics and a better roster/gameplay than Guilty Gear. I can't get into it, and maybe it's hurting my idea about it.
I have adapted to it though, and I just don't like the thing I've adapted to. It's boring, and then combos are not hard.

Last edited:
I'm talking entirely about Pre-Xrd. Xrd is as I (again attempted to) ninja edit into my post, slower, shallower, and has far worse balance then say, Guilty Gear AC.

I have adapted to it though, and I just don't like the thing I've adapted to. It's boring, and then combos are not hard.
You just admitted to basically never playing, or giving no time, to Pre-Xrd. So no, you haven't.

lol at saying combos are not hard. Guilty Gear is often faulted for having one of the most insane execution curves there is. False Roman Cancel mean anything to you?

I'm talking entirely about Pre-Xrd. Xrd is as I (again attempted to) ninja edit into my post, slower, shallower, and has far worse balance then say, Guilty Gear AC.

You just admitted to basically never playing, or giving no time, to Pre-Xrd. So no, you haven't.

lol at saying combos are not hard. Guilty Gear is often faulted for having one of the most insane execution curves there is. False Roman Cancel mean anything to you?

I seem to remember saying "Are we still talking about Pre-Xrd."

I played both Pre and Xrd. Then I decided Pre looked too flawed and played Xrd. I've gotten used to Xrd. Xrd's combos are not hard, so far as I've played. I'm not saying I'm a master, but at the level I've met, it's not difficult. Meanwhile Pre-Xrd's combos may be harder. I don't care. Xrd is just a more complete game, and I feel like Pre-Xrd just lacks elements to feel like a good game either. They have different problems, but Xrd's are lesser so. Xrd itself I can like, but I still see it's problems. Pre-Xrd I don't like. I stated so.
I have adapted to Xrd. Not Pre-Xrd.

(Also I only now notice this is becoming Guilty Gear.thread, I feel like this is partially my fault ;w;)

Last edited:
How long have you played pre-Xrd?

2 hours? 3?

I'm sorry, but you're setting yourself up like you actually know what you're talking about with Guilty Gear. I'm no tournament player, and it's not my favorite air dash fighter (more of a Mvc2 fan, Vampire Savior as well), but it doesn't take a pro to realize that most of what you're saying is extremely ignorant.

If you like Blazblue's style better, that's fine. To each his own. I don't hate the game myself. But talking shit about Guilty Gear when you really have no idea how it plays (again, not talking about Xrd here. Ever) is just really a waste of time.

How long have you played pre-Xrd?

2 hours? 3?

I'm sorry, but you're setting yourself up like you actually know what you're talking about with Guilty Gear. I'm no tournament player, and it's not my favorite air dash fighter (more of a Mvc2 fan, Vampire Savior as well), but it doesn't take a pro to realize that most of what you're saying is extremely ignorant.

If you like Blazblue's style better, that's fine. To each his own. I don't hate the game myself. But talking shit about Guilty Gear when you really have no idea how it plays (again, not talking about Xrd here. Ever) is just really a waste of time.

God I look like an idiot right now. You're right, I have little to no experience with Pre-Xrd. But I just didn't make that as clear as I should have. I'm really sorry man.

I never meant to demean Xrd or GG in general, it's just as I see it, I can't get into it. I'll always prefer Blazblue off pure bias, I guess. But after giving Xrd like, a month or something(?), I can't see it's appeal. Though I know what I'm saying for Pre-Xrd doesn't apply. I never intended to speak about a game I never knew, and I'm sorry if I did. I just mean to say Xrd, while I like it better, seems to be slower and stuff.

IDK. I gave Pre-Xrd like, a couple days. I'd have given it more, but it just didn't interest me from there.

Last edited:
Back on the BB trail, Dengeki and Famitsu have exclusive palettes (there is a code if you buy their magazine). I have no idea if these will ever come out here.

Dengeki (there isn't a preview of what the rest of the cast looks like in this palette)
04_cs1w1_545x400.jpg

Famitsu (pics of everyone is here: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201504/22077095.html)
l_5536362715656.jpg

More importantly, the English trophy list is out. There isn't any spoilers unless you don't want to know what the trophies are called.
http://www.exophase.com/game/blazblue-chronophantasma-extend-trophy-psn/trophies/

Since the game comes out tomorrow, due to the time difference, those who want the game NOW can probably do so on the PSN store with a JP account (note you will need a JP PSN card or access to a JP credit card which I doubt no one has).

The last time Japan got colors through magazines the US just got them for free, so I assume it'll be handled the same way.

the only thing I liked was her calling Tager Minerva's big brother
Her telling Jin to stop bothering his brother was funny.

Because she's like their alternate timeline mom. Or something.

Blazblue!

I like where Minerva stops Celica from touching Hakumen at all.

"Ey! Get back here!"

"let me at em! I can take him!"

It came out in Japan and you can download it if you have a Japanese PSN account.

Also, Amane is objectively the best character in the game and anyone that says otherwise is wrong and stupid and I hate you.

Amane's great because he subverts all the gay tropes and just wants to bang anyone he thinks is hot strong
I mean he's still got all the gay tropes there
but he's more or less pansexual
and that's rad
(Also he's got two great voice actors)
(and drills)

He's also chill as fuck and super friendly
like early stuff made him out to be like some haughty bastard but he's just kind of a friendly airheaded dancing immortal

It came out in Japan and you can download it if you have a Japanese PSN account.

Also, Amane is objectively the best character in the game and anyone that says otherwise is wrong and stupid and I hate you.

While I've always respected you due to our mutual admiration for A.B.A, you are wrong on this. Arakune is the best character and anyone who's anyone knows this.

While I've always respected you due to our mutual admiration for A.B.A, you are wrong on this. Arakune is the best character and anyone who's anyone knows this.

I also respect you for the A.B.A love, so I'll allow you to have your wrong opinion.

Anyone have the picture of DDB getting swatted at by a broom?

Can someone do the same for North for having bad taste?

Back