• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Combo breaker and game speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alpha counters can be considered combo breakers (granted you use it properly) but no one uses them.

Like the Fantastic Mr. Fox above me said, Alpha counters can't break combos because you can only use them while blocking (meaning the combo has already ended). Also, I use the hell out of Alpha counters because they are amazing.

I'm not that great at math , but if the game was in fact slowed down (however that'd work...), then wouldn't it completely throw balancing off? Sure things would still be "proportional," but some moves would essentially be useless because they're extended past the worst useable frame limit for startup/recovery? And even if it wasn't to mess up everything balance-wise, it is essentially changing the game itself...not even the rules, but speed (obviously). That's something that is learned and can't really be unlearned. Like for example, I learned how to dodge some high jump attacks instead of blocking from ha Blazblue (hakumen) and punishing after. I wish I could say I had a hard time w/it too and I grew to like it, but to be honest, I've felt like a fish (not duck yet) in water from Blazblue & skullgirls. If
The system was off, it would have been an issue brought up a while ago :p

And as for the combo breakers, we have inherent combo breakers because combos HAVE to end at a certain point no matter what. And depending on who you play, often optimized combos will take around half your bar only if scaling isn't involved...which it often is. I actually do like bursts, but they're better in a different kind of game than skullgirls. I wish I had more coherent answers, but I'd say just play with things first and play with some other beginners. I honestly hated Street fighter for a long time, but wandered into a best buy & a bunch of people were playing on this huge screen. Picked up Sakura and bam, I started having fun w/mind games. Anyways, I really hope you'll change your mind.

So, we have another "I don't know how to defend, this game sucks" thread? Seriously?

Reactions: ClarenceMage
I'm moving this to the game play general.

I'm trying to be...respectful here...but...I mean...You're telling me that you don't play any other fighting games, yet you feel you have the experience and the authority to question the design of somebody else's game. And then responding to counterpoints with "you're wrong" without any kind of proof or backup whatsoever. I'm actually offended now. wow. that doesn't happen often. (only the 2nd time this year actually)
I suggest people stop posting until this guy proves he's not just trying to be a shit.

The guy puts forth his opinion and so some of you choose to insult him or worse, you ignore his point altogether and attack his grammar/spelling? While I don't agree that adding a burst mechanic is what Skullgirls needs why are you being such douchebags? "Why do people not play SG?" "Why are we not at EVO?". Stay small community, jesus f*cking christ.

The guy puts forth his opinion and so some of you choose to insult him or worse, you ignore his point altogether and attack his grammar/spelling? While I don't agree that adding a burst mechanic is what Skullgirls needs why are you being such douchebags? "Why do people not play SG?" "Why are we not at EVO?". Stay small community, jesus f*cking christ.

If shitting on people caused smaller player bases, the FGC wouldn't exist.

To be fair, it's kinda hard to take this thread seriously when the opening post has a picture like that in it.

To be fair, it's kinda hard to take this thread seriously when the opening post has a picture like that in it.
I almost forgot about that. Yeah, I have to agree.

I just noticed Valentine and Parasoul on the wheels.

Parasoul seems an odd choice, given his complaints, since she's relatively slow, and not a hardcore rushdown pixie.

TvC has spend-meter-for-bursts. You end up never going below that much meter because you want to burst.
In short, that's a bad idea for multiple reasons.

MvC2 has 1f normals and the game speed is faster than this. Things are reactable enough in that game.

Can we lock this thread so the bike can stay here forever, though?

I'm trying to be...respectful here...but...I mean...You're telling me that you don't play any other fighting games, yet you feel you have the experience and the authority to question the design of somebody else's game.
Stop your stupid fantasy, I have never said this. I played MvC3, SF3-4, MC, and others (some 3D fighting games too). What do you think you are?
There is so many angry replays. Why you and other people are so angry? Have I destroyed your beautiful little world of the best fighting games ever?

What actually angers me is that you think that some stupid chart dictates SG's longevity. We here at SkullHeart have a tight-knit community.
and very small :P
Are your trying to prove yourself that all things are OK?
So much people in steam... I even recognize some people by ping in quick match! At most times there is a big problem just to find someone with playable ping in QM.
Novices dies whithout a chance to do some damage to a little bit experienced players. And then they are just drops the game forever. Cool system, very friendly to novices :P

Can we lock this thread so the bike can stay here forever, though?
The bike is symbolizes SG. Are you want to lock the game forever? ;)

bye bye, lets see what happens, when DLS will be ready. But I don't think that this greatly helps to increase amount of people, that constantly plays SG.

Last edited:
Why you and other people are so angry? Have I destroyed your beautiful little world of the best fighting games ever?
You know, you started out as that sort of innocent "probably trolling but they could honestly be frustrated" poster... Where did that go?
If you really want something to change you shouldn't be using the oldest trolling tactic in the book.
Anyway, I'm not about to say sg doesn't have any room to improve, it has plenty. Just stop pretending like you're some expert that knows exactly how it should work. You come off as really pretentious, like you think you couldn't possibly be wrong, and it's rubbing everyone the wrong way. If there was any chance of your suggestions being taken seriously, you ruined it by changing them into demands.

Novices dies whithout a chance to do some damage to a little bit experienced players. And then they are just drops the game forever. Cool system, very friendly to novices :P
Ultimately, this is the nature of fighting games. Other games don't work like this because anywhere from 8 to 100+ people are in a game at once; if someone on the other team is way, way, way better than you, you can avoid them. In a fighting game, two go in, one goes out; you have nowhere to hide from people who are way way way better than you. Not to mention the skill ceiling in these games is usually much higher. The only way to give the underdog a fighting chance is to ruin the game by adding a random element to it, such as giving each attack a chance of being a critical hit or something. Nobody wants that; not you, not me, not a single logical person in the entire fgc.

Reactions: Vladislav_Paizis
I said this before - it sounds like Skullgirls isn't your thing Dredd. Nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of other great fighting games with systems that match your specific likes.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
TMNT tournament fighters

I suggested Guilty Gear, but that is very not beginner friendly. There are no respected fighting games where novices have a chance against experienced players - even smash. That's the point of the genre. You jump into the deep end and you sink or swim. Now that I think about it, how many more threads have been on skullheart that come down to this exact point? How many more do we have to have?

... Kaiser Knuckle.

I think people were way too harsh on dredd, which led to him lashing out. Calling him and his suggestions stupid instead of just calmly explaining why his ideas may not help the game. It was multiple people as well. I don't think he was a troll, a troll wouldn't take the time to create that kickass bicycle illustration.

Is the community small? Yes. Does the game have flaws? Yes! Are YOUR suggestions the things that are the biggest problems? Nope.

For example, the back wheel of the bike is "combo reset combo reset". Every time you see "reset", that's a spot you can block or attack, meaning you don't need a combo breaker to escape because that is an ESCAPE SPOT. Learning when you can escape is part of improving, and the fact that you list escape spots in your complaint means combo breakers aren't necessary, just an improvement of player skill.
If that wheel were "100% combo, 33/33/33 incoming mixup, 100% combo" likesay Zero is in MvC3, then arguing for combo breakers would have some justification.

A few quick corrections
At most times there is a big problem just to find someone with playable ping in QM.
"Playable ping" in SG on PC is under about 275.

That's no different in SG from other games...just that other games have a wider base of people who suck. If you think novices can do any damage to someone who is good at GG, for example, you've been playing people who aren't any good at GG. And don't start with MvC3...

My aim was a game that people who got GOOD at it can enjoy for years, as opposed to a game that invites everyone in with stupid noob BS and then ends up with good players constantly complaining about parts of it. Which, so far, has mostly worked.

I said this before - it sounds like Skullgirls isn't your thing Dredd. Nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of other great fighting games with systems that match your specific likes.

So, MvC3? That way, he can feel like a winner even when he's losing!

Can that bike have .1% chance of coming in on parasoul's super?

I support this, or the bike making some other cameo.

Have the bike as part of Parasoul's tag in animation with a .1% chance of occurring, and have her say, "I have a bad feeling..." when she comes in.

Let skullgirls be skullgirls. Play guilty gear if you want what you're suggesting.
I hate you so much right now.

@KhaosMuffins You can take a burst in this game, it's just not as hype.

I mean, not on it's startup, god I wish that was a thing.

Last edited:
Bike is way to hype.

I wish had an srk 'rockin' smiley to go with that... And coffee as well.

SG is pretty unforgiving, actually. That's not really a bad thing, though.
Since your opponent is going to make mistakes, too.
But if you want to play a fighter with those things in it, there are plenty to choose from.

Patience helps a lot in fighters, especially when you're losing.
You can't enter a match expecting to win; you never know what will happen.

My first few days playing the game I fought GiantTurtle several times in quickmatches and got owned without ever hurting him/her.
(He/she's pretty good tbh)

Now I can actually hit people like that, and it feels good to know that I've gotten better, and it also feels good to know that I decked that motherf***er.

Think of yourself as Eminem in 8 Mile and you'll be alright.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
To be fair, with Millia or I-No, since it's a lot more okizeme focused, it's a lot easier to tell *when* you have to play the guessing game. It's not like SG where not only is there a mix-up, but you don't even know when it's coming.
When you get more indepth with a character, you'll start to see there really aren't that many ways characters are going to mix you up from certain moves.

It's not like Val's going to do jumping strong into air throw.

You're going to the ground and there you have the guess.

The question is, which strong option is she taking?

Reactions: codeN1nj4
Status
Not open for further replies.