• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

EC VS The World 10v10 @ Combo Breaker 2016

I'd like to add a couple notes to this:

- If you want to challenge for a spot, please inform myself or @keninblack BEFORE that 1pm block starts. After we begin at 1pm, NO MORE CHALLENGERS WILL BE ACCEPTED. We're already running this last minute and I don't want a bunch of people running up saying "wait but I wanted to try" merely for time constraints.

- You must also declare who you wish to challenge for a spot. If Wing and Fuzzy both say they're willing to play for a spot, you have to say which one of them specifically you want to challenge ahead of time. If they don't want to play you, you're welcome to try to challenge someone else, but remember, these people have already qualified for the team, so it's their decision to play or not.

An announcement from one of us will likely be made before this block of matches starts just so everyone is clear on the rules, but most of this is going to be locked in before we start.

Reactions: keninblack
Challenger sets should be FT3 or FT5.
FT2 isn't used for anything anymore so I don't think that's a good idea.

This is just for members of the world team, not the east coast team, right? Cause I'd play east coast people in a set for my spot

Here's a couple hypothetical situations to help clear any potential confusion about this

1. Two people want to challenge Wing for a spot. Wing agrees to play both of them a week before the event. The day before the tournament, Wing agrees to play Challenger 1, but changes his mind and doesn't want to play Challenger 2. Challenger 2 is welcome to ask another team member open to playing as long as they agree BEFORE the 1pm block begins, but they do not get to play Wing.

2. Challenger wants to play Wing and they both agree to it. Wing defeats Challenger and keeps his spot on the team. Challenger is now done playing, he CANNOT ask to play another team member after the loss.

3. Challenger wants to play Wing and they both agree to it. The 1pm block starts, but just before they play, Wing changes his mind and decides not to play Challenger. Wing keeps his spot and does not have to play, and Challenger CANNOT ask to play another team member.

I know some of this seems harsh but I will reiterate that this will all be locked in by 1pm. Any additional challenges will not be accepted after we start.

Here's a couple hypothetical situations to help clear any potential confusion about this
Those are fairly reasonable and very stringent. Respect for you ++.

What if two challengers want to play Wing, and he loses to the first one? Does challenger 1 have to play challenger 2, or is challenger 2 just SoL?

Again, no additional challengers will be accepted after 1pm. This is a very hard rule merely so we can keep an eye on time (pools will be starting at 3pm right after this) and so we don't have a circle of people going back and forth challenging each other.

So yes, Challenger 2 just has to hold that shit. BUT that doesnt mean they cant request a fight the next night at Saturday Night Salt :)

1. Two people want to challenge Wing for a spot. Wing agrees to play both of them a week before the event. The day before the tournament, Wing agrees to play Challenger 1, but changes his mind and doesn't want to play Challenger 2. Challenger 2 is welcome to ask another team member open to playing as long as they agree BEFORE the 1pm block begins, but they do not get to play Wing.

2. Challenger wants to play Wing and they both agree to it. Wing defeats Challenger and keeps his spot on the team. Challenger is now done playing, he CANNOT ask to play another team member after the loss.

3. Challenger wants to play Wing and they both agree to it. The 1pm block starts, but just before they play, Wing changes his mind and decides not to play Challenger. Wing keeps his spot and does not have to play, and Challenger CANNOT ask to play another team member.

I know some of this seems harsh but I will reiterate that this will all be locked in by 1pm. Any additional challenges will not be accepted after we start.
Poor @WingZero , everyone wants his spot...

Weird question (or maybe I misunderstood), why would anyone that has a spot on the team volunteer to accept a challenge and risk losing it?

I'm ready to phase out of Skullgirls and my heart isn't in it anymore. There's people who really really want to the chance, so I'm more than happy to give it up to them. At the same time the original roster was the way it was for a reason. Then fenster stepped out. Then fuzzy stepped out. Then Sev stepped out and Fuzzy felt up to practicing the game again, so the team picked him.

The sudden politics around it are tiring honestly.

Maybe that feeling will change at CB or I'll get a drive back between then and now? Though I doubt it.

Much different now from how I felt about the game a short time ago.

Weird question (or maybe I misunderstood), why would anyone that has a spot on the team volunteer to accept a challenge and risk losing it?
Because they want to show the best SG at the 10v10 exhibition and think that some players currently not on the team should deserve a chance to prove themselves?
It's not like you get $5000 for participating in the 10v10, it's just a fun show. If you believe that someone else can provide a more fun show to other people than you, why wouldn't you surrender your spot (or at least give people a chance to fight for it)?

In particular the Europe players simply never had a chance. There were no qualifiers for them. They can't just casually "go out to NWM and place well". So if you think they are better than you are, or that they would be more enthusiastic about showing themselves off than you are, it seems quite reasonable to me?!

Again, no additional challengers will be accepted after 1pm.
If both A and B have challenged Wing already, and Wing loses to A, why would B have to hold that if we already had a spot for "B fights someone"?

Because then what if A loses to B and A wants a runback? Or what if A loses to B, and now Wing wants to fight B?

I know it's not a perfect system, but we're trying to keep this as locked down as possible. This is not something we were even planning to do until literally a couple hours ago when people started swapping out spots.

I guess the issue is that if you aren't picked to fight first you have an much lower chance to get in since you're also not allowed to challenge someone else.
If A and B want to fight C, and A wins, then that should hypothetically mean A is better than C, but B also wanted to play.
So B should now fight A because he was in line to fight as well.
(This means it wouldn't take any extra time because it was a potential set that could have played out if C had beaten A.)

If B beats A, then hypothetically he should be better than both A and C now so he will take the spot on team world.

I think that's what Mike is getting at, at least?

In that case I wanna challenge @Fuzzy_Snugs.

Nothing personal. Wait, yeah it is.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OK SO UPDATES

We've discussed this concern (which was reasonable) and we've come up with a solution. Here's how it will go down:

- We will have a list of team members willing to fight to keep their spots. Each team member will have a sub list of the potential challengers they've agreed to play.
- All challengers will participate in small round robins to decide who fights the team member. (Example: the 3 people that want to challenge Wing will play each other, and the winner of that round robin will fight Wing at the end. the 4 people that want to fight Fuzzy will fight in their own separate round robin, etc)
- There will be a maximum of 5 challengers per team member

All of these matches will still take place in the 1pm-3pm block as previously discussed.

So only one challenger will fight the team member? Just to be clear.

Yes. Here's a more in depth example.

Players X, Y, and Z all want to fight Wing, and he agrees to all of them.
At 1pm, X, Y, and Z will participate in a round robin
X wins the round robin and gets to fight Wing
X wins and gets Wing's spot/Wing wins and keeps his spot

The number of games played is likely tbd until we know the exact number of challengers we have.

likely tbd until we know the exact number of challengers we have.
Would help to have a list of players who are up to have people fight for their spot, first

A bit silly if everyone now challenges Wing/Dolfinh/Fuzzy and you throw up a schedule and whatnot, and then a week later four more people say "btw you can challenge me too"

We're still waiting to get confirmation from everyone. Like I said, this just happened a few hours ago so we're kind of scrambling to put something together.

Whoa what a mess....

Ok so whoever wants my spot on team world I'm more than willing to give it up if you can best me.

Damn

I've decided that I want to keep my spot. I want to play. I'm tired of the sudden politics surrounding the spots on the team.
MM instead?

Edit: Or we can just play a set at CB for fun. The thing I cared about in my original post in this thread was that I wanted to prove to Team World that they shouldn't be sleeping on me and zeknife, so it would suck if the weakest players on Team World started dodging me.

Last edited:
Dolfinh and Wing are wide open, join in on a round robin.

Don't forget we also still have Saturday Night Salt for things exactly like this

Reactions: Kai