• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Endless Beta vs main game

Driveshaft

Reaction score
Cerebella Ms. Fortune
I just started trying the endless beta recently to try out big band and squigly. Is there any big differences between endless beta and the main game? I am not sure why I would play the main game for any reason other than the story modes because the endless beta has more characters. Thanks in advance!

People don't usually play quick match on the beta client. The beta client is also constantly being experimented on, meaning that some of the things possible on the beta client will never make it to vanilla.

Beta will also eventually disappear when the game's done, so if you didn't get the DLC you'll have to at that point. :^P

Reactions: Arcana
when the game's done

gfJRvpb.gif

The beta contains experimental changes to the game's balance which then may be used in the retail version of the game. This includes testing new characters and tweaking old ones.

The retail version (main game) is contiguous with consoles (PS3/Xbox) but gets bug fixes.

Endless, has experimental movesets, and mechanics, changing constantly
main, shits permanent

Beta will also eventually disappear when the game's done
prophetitwillneverend.gif

Beta has broken ass lobbies that make it a hard time to play with friends. Which speaking of, Mike, is that on your eventually-to-do list or did it somehow slip through your radar? Cause with Beo coming to beta soon it'll be the same problem that was with the past 3 characters, where I want to playtest the new character but am unable to as the lobbies keep bugging out constantly for no apparent reason and I have to either take it to doing isolated lab work in training mode or wait till the character's finished and hits retail.

Is there even any particular reason as to why the lobbies in the two versions would work differently? If only it functioned as well as the retail one (which is still not perfect but aside from one specific bug it's very functional) this would be a non-issue and help playtesting a lot.

Beta has broken ass lobbies that make it a hard time to play with friends. Which speaking of, Mike, is that on your eventually-to-do list or did it somehow slip through your radar? Cause with Beo coming to beta soon it'll be the same problem that was with the past 3 characters, where I want to playtest the new character but am unable to as the lobbies keep bugging out constantly for no apparent reason and I have to either take it to doing isolated lab work in training mode or wait till the character's finished and hits retail.

Is there even any particular reason as to why the lobbies in the two versions would work differently? If only it functioned as well as the retail one (which is still not perfect but aside from one specific bug it's very functional) this would be a non-issue and help playtesting a lot.
You sure they're still different?

Lemme grab some friends and playtest it again, but the last time I did so which wasn't that long ago (I believe it was when you put the replay system in place) it was still fairly disastrous. I'll report back here after I test this again.

Huh, seems it is indeed fixed. Did you do some work on it recently? I always try to keep a close eye on patch notes partially to hear news from this and I don't think I caught any speaking about it. Did I perhaps miss it?

Either way, thanks a ton for fixing it. Will surely be using the beta lot more now.

I know that peacock and double are going through major changes right now and its not even worth playing either on retail IMO, right now because they're about to be dramatically changed. @Mike_Z please stop holding up the rest of the game because of beowulf these double changes have been in beta wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to long.

Won't happen because synchronisation of console and PC builds for competitive reasons.