• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Filia Combo Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the burst whiffs, the opponent can't attack, block, or tech throws until they touch the ground. You have plenty of time to start a new ground series.

Note how they flash red when you hit them, as if they were counter-hit. That's because the game considers them in counter-hit state the whole way down.

Okay, so that's what's going on. I did j.LP and held back to block the burst. The burst didn't whiff at all.... and if I DON'T hold back, the burst hits me. Is there any way for me to fast-fall out of this maybe?

Okay, so that's what's going on. I did j.LP and held back to block the burst. The burst didn't whiff at all.... and if I DON'T hold back, the burst hits me. Is there any way for me to fast-fall out of this maybe?
j.MK sends you downward. Try that.

Easiest Filia burst bait is jump back hp. You don't need to do anything excepted use j.hp in your combo beforehand just jump back and hp and if they don't burst you can still dash forwards for some pressure just watch out for an air reversal.

Wait, what burst bait did I mention? I don't think I brought one up specifically in this thread. The thing with using j.LP was just about having j.LP "used up" as far as IPS goes immediately at the start of the combo so you have the option of using it for baits immediately (when the other option there, j.LK, has no particular use for burst baiting).

If you want to see where j.LP can be used as a really nasty burst bait hit, turn on hitboxes and compare where the red disjointed hitbox on a j.LP is to burst hitboxes. You want to be able to hit someone with the j.LP where the burst can't reach your green hurtbox. Generally any time you can hit someone from the front and below is a prime spot to do a burst bait j.LP hit. Like for a example, during the corner carry combo at midscreen, after airball H dash cancel, instead of doing s.lp s.mp c.hp into finishing the combo, do s.lp c.mp. After the c.mp you can jump up/back and hit with a j. lp and it's a nice burst bait. You can mix it up with a neutral jump airthrow to make it a more robust mixup if they won't mash there. If someone bursts and it completely whiffs (as in, you don't block it and it doesn't hit your assist) they are in recovery all the way to the ground and you can hit them with anything.

(I personally think you should j.LP instead of j.LK there though
If I use j.LP instead of j.LK in my combo, then that will trigger a burst situation.

j.LP is Filia's burst bait tool and you can have that option right away).
You then mentioned that j.LP is Filia's burst bait tool, which you just said can replace the j.LK in my combo string. This is the burst bait I mention you referring to.

In any case, I tried this out with Broken Loose and even if this bait IS possible, the timing is so strict that I don't really want to use it for my BnB. If I need a bait, I'll probably end up using winnie's suggestion and use an up-back j.HP somewhere. This won't trigger a burst with my combo since I don't have j.HP in it, but it could do so in the advanced corner combo mentioned in the OP (which is what I'm going to try next)

Not your combo, the starting chunk of the "intermediate" OP combo... whatever, this is too complicated

I talked with him about it. He likes using the janky old SDE combo because you don't risk switching directions (making it easier to corner carry).

A big thing is that the MDE combos use early j.HP for resets (because j.HP leads to cross under), frontloaded damage post-reset, and burst bait potential. I highly recommend at least switching to the intermediate combo if you can.

edit: Oh fuck, this is the part where I realized I transcribed it wrong. The series after the reground to last launcher is all grounded normals. I'll fix it in the morning.

I talked with him about it. He likes using the janky old SDE combo because you don't risk switching directions (making it easier to corner carry).
It's janky? :(

I highly recommend at least switching to the intermediate combo if you can.
Never hurts to have another combo learned.... especially if this one does more damage than my current SDE-era BnB. I don't suppose there's a video of both the intermediate ones in action, either with damage numbers or in some match vid? (couldn't find it in the OP)

Also, I've been trying out the advanced corner combo, and it's pretty hard to get everything to connect. The first st.HP after the j.HK seems to work only if I IAD as low to the ground as possible, and I can't seem to get the st.LP to connect after the j.HP most of the time. I think I've gotten it to connect ONCE on Fortune, but the training dummy always air-blocks the st.LPs every other time. I've tried delaying the j.HP after the launch, and I've tried mashing the j.HP as fast as possible, but neither seems to work. Is it the timing of the j.HK, or the j.LK afterwards maybe?

Learn the advanced midscreen combo, it's the best option after a raw gregor on light characters.

Learn the advanced midscreen combo, it's the best option after a raw gregor on light characters.
The one major problem with the advanced one is that it requires different timing for virtually every single character. This means I'll have an extraordinarily high probability of dropping the combo in a real match, which is what I want least of all. I don't mind if a combo requires a slight adjustment on heavy characters, or if it needs some tweaks to work on a certain character.... but it needs adjustment on ALL characters. I'd rather go for consistency over practicality at this point, which is why I'm trying the advanced corner and maybe the intermediate mid-screen variants for now.

The timing differences aren't that major. It's mainly divided by weight class, where against Cerebella and Parasoul you can cancel c.HP as early as you want and it'll be the right height. Against lighter characters, you have to wait a tiny moment. Then Filia and Cerebella have to cancel j.MK early on, and that covers about the sum of it.

try the first corner combo I posted then(:D), it doesn't work on double but requires basically no adjustments on any other character and does 10.4k from j.hp, j.hk starter.

just keep in mind that confirming into damage is very important in this game, specially from counters.

Exhibit A:
I can't record right now because the computer I'm using is crap, but these are the inputs for my 10k combo:

j.Hp, j.Hk, s.Hp
j.Hp, j.Hk, j.Mk(1 hit), j.Hp, s.Hp
j.Lk, j.Mk(1 hit), j.Hp, j.Hk, H hairball
adc, j.Mp, j.Hk(restand)
s.Lp, s.Lp, s.Mp, c.Mk(all hits), s.Hk, H hairball
c.Lk(otg), s.Mp,(restand)c.Mk(all hits), s.Hk, H hairball, Fenrir Drive

10396 damage

Is anyone willing to record it for me?

Exhibit B:
Okay, I checked it.

Turns out it either doesn't work on cerebella or is a VERY tight link, it felt like it was possible, but her small hitbox and weight made the c.hp, c.mp bit too hard for me. Should be fine on everyone else though (surprisingly, double was the easiest).

Also, I just realized I didn't put the inputs so here it is:

j.hp, j.hk, s.hp
j.hp, j.hk, dash, j.mk(1 hit), j.hp
s.mk, c.hp, c.mp, s.hp
j.lp, j.lk, j.hp, j.hk, H hairball, adc, j.mp, j.hk(restand)
s.lp, s.lp, c.mk, s.hk, H hairball
c.lk(otg), s.mp(restand), c.mk, s.hk, H hairball, Fenrir

@CailLugon Are you talking about A or B? The video looks like a blend of both... it's ver.B up until the c.HP and then it's A? In any case, it's got the same starter that Broken Loose's OP has with the Japanese corner, so I guess I'm technically working on both at the same time. :) I still have a bit of trouble getting j.HK -> s.HP to connect.... I'm forced to start my combo like this, just to make sure that launcher connects: j.HP -> j.HK -> s.LP -> s.HP -> rest of combo. Also once I get started, the dummy tends to block the s.MK (just like how dummy blocks the s.LP in Broken Loose's version). I'm still trying out different timings to get that part to connect somehow.

Sorry, here are the correct inputs for the combo I just posted

j.HP, j.HK, s.HP
j.HP, j.HK, dash, j.MK(1 hit), j.HP, s.MK, s.HP
j.LK, j.MK(1 hit), j.HP, j.HK, H hairball
adc, j.MP, j.HK(restand)
s.LP, s.LP, s.MP, c.MK(all hits), s.HK, H hairball
c.LK(otg), s.MP,(restand) c.MK(all hits), s.HK, H hairball, Fenrir Drive

You can ignore the jump-in, just learn it from the first ground chain and you should be good.

I'm trying to learn Filia's beginner corner combo, but I can't finish it with heavy Airball. I can get up to the first 11 hits on the combo, but I never connect with the airball. Can someone post a video showing how it's done? Also, should s.lk be c.lk instead?

I'm trying to learn Filia's beginner corner combo, but I can't finish it with heavy Airball. I can get up to the first 11 hits on the combo, but I never connect with the airball. Can someone post a video showing how it's done? Also, should s.lk be c.lk instead?
I was able to do this in training room against a dummy Parasoul after about 30 minutes of trying (no video though, sorry!). You are correct, it should be a cr.LK after the OTG (a st.LK would whiff). As for the heavy airball, it needs to be done RIGHT after the j.HK, and will connect only if the dummy isn't too far below you after the j.HK.... that timing window is actually quite strict for a beginner combo. It might help to set the training room to 75% speed... that's what I did and it made the task of figuring out the timing significantly easier.

Re-transcribing the combo:
cr.LK -> st.MK -> st.HP (launch) ->
j.HP -> j.HK (land) ->
cr.LK (otg) -> st.MK -> st.HP (relaunch) ->
j.LP -> j.HP -> j.HK -> H-airball

Personally speaking, I would prefer my janky SDE BnB to this one even if I'm in the corner. This combo did ~5100 damage pre-Fenrir versus ~4900 pre-Fenrir with the SDE combo, and the SDE combo's timing isn't as tight IMHO. I'd trade 200 damage for consistency any day of the week.

But then again I'm still trying to learn this game myself, so you might want to get a second opinion from the more adept players here. :/

Last edited:
How many hits are in the full combo, including the h.airball? I'm getting 14 when I manage to get it right.

why is it the filia forum standard to post starters from jHP jHK

(10843 I guess)

Reactions: Icky
How many hits are in the full combo, including the h.airball? I'm getting 14 when I manage to get it right.
I count 15 when I do it....11 from the regular hits, and 4 from the airball

why is it the filia forum standard to post starters from jHP jHK

(10843 I guess)
My numbers start from c.LK usually, but I know the corner Japanese combo has to include the jump-in because using your airdash during the jump-in leaves you at Stage 3 during the first ground series.

Because getting cool numbers is obviously more important than ingame usefulness
This is exactly why I want to practice combos that are useful versus combos that are flashy, and why I mentioned (in multiple instances) that I prefer combos that have less likelihood of dropping to combos that have maximum damage output. However, being the n00b that I am, it is VERY hard for me to discern the difference between a "useful" combo versus a "flashy" combo. Due to my lack of combo knowledge, I tend to depend on the community to help me filter out the most practical ones from the rest so I get those down first.

As a few examples, I tend to prefer my SDE corner carry combo as my BnB because I've seen it used in many match vids before, so I know that it's useful in actual matches. For the corner combo that I'm playing with now, I noticed that several combos by various people have the same starter string, namely

j.HP, j.HK, s.HP (launch)
j.HP, j.HK, dash, <some fast move, either j.LK or j.MK>, j.HP (land)
<move to link a launcher, like st.LP or st.MK>, s.HP (relaunch)

Because I've seen this in actual matches (ie Duckator vs BrandX in skullbats top8) as well as posts (both Broken Loose and CaioLugon have similar openings), I came to the conclusion that this would be a good sub-string to learn. But when it comes to knowing whether a full combo is "cool numbers" as IsaVulpes said, or actually practical..... well, that I have no idea. An example of this is the beginner corner combo in the OP. Is that one practical or flashy? I've tried it out with the training dummy, but the timing for the H-airball seems pretty tight for a beginner combo. Is that just me?

Last edited:
Suggest a better one if you like. The reason why it has H-Airball at the end is because it's designed to be a teaching tool more than a real combo. It's also the only actually "difficult" part.

I wanted an accessible way for beginners to understand that Filia corner combos are about j.HP j.HK and how a few of those does more damage than a shitload of tiny hits.

My 'shitload of tiny hits' combo does more than anything posted here so far iirc

(also 9466k from cLK MK HP starter, 10120 from jLK jHK LK cMP MK HP starter, also universal)

Last edited:
But your first 7 hits do 5k damage, which proves my point perfectly? Filia's damage increases massively if you frontload her high-damage single-hit normals on her combos, and then you still have the freedom to do HK (H)airballs and j.MPs to your heart's content for free extra damage.

Anyway, your combo will probably replace the corner one in the OP because connecting j.MK after j.HK is kind of a pain in the ass.

Are mediumweights and/or double supposed to restand or something during the part of the severin corner combo where you link a s.lk after a j.hp?

Are mediumweights and/or double supposed to restand or something during the part of the severin corner combo where you link a s.lk after a j.hp?
A restand is desirable at that point anyway because c.MK only connects on grounded opponents.

you restand double, bella, and parasoul during the jLP bit. it's a bit odd to get used to but it's totally doable.

I'm asking because I can't hit it on the medium+ characters EDIT - ah thanks

i think of myself as having bad execution but I got that combo to a solid success rate in 20 minutes of training mode on lightweights, highly recommended if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong to keep it from being universal.

Edit - I find substituting the j.lp j.mp j.mk(2) j.hp rejump bit with j.lp j.mp j.mk(1) j.hk to be dead easy on the mediums and on double if anyone is willing to sacrifice a little bit of universality and damage.

Last edited:
i think of myself as having bad execution but I got that combo to a solid success rate in 20 minutes of training mode on lightweights
:O
It would take me about 20 minutes just to TRANSCRIBE severin's combo. If you happen to have the move list handy, would you mind posting it?

c.lk c.mp s.mk s.hp
j.hp j.hk xx H. airball xx airdash j.mp j.hk
s.mp c.mk s.hp
j.lk j.mp j.mk (2) j.hp
(normal jump from the ground)
j.lp j.mp j.mk (2) j.hp
s.lk s.mp c.mk s.hk xx H groundball
OTG c.lp c.lp s.lk s.mp c.mk s.hk xx H groundball xx DP super

my sub for heavies (I feel I have the right to add this for transcribing all that, sue me):

j.lp j.mp j.mk (2) j.hp becomes -> j.lp j.mp j.mk (1) j.hk

Last edited:
c.lk c.mp s.mk s.hp
j.hp j.hk xx H. airball xx airdash j.mk j.hk
s.mp c.mk s.hp
j.lk j.mp j.mk (2) j.hp
(normal jump from the ground)
j.lp j.mp j.mk (2) j.hp
s.lk s.mp c.mk s.hk xx H groundball
OTG c.lp c.lp s.lk s.mp c.mk s.hk xx H groundball xx DP super

my sub for heavies (I feel I have the right to add this for transcribing all that, sue me):

j.lp j.mp j.mk (2) j.hp becomes -> j.lp j.mp j.mk (1) j.hk
Is that the same combo severin posted above? It seems from the video the starter goes something like this:

j.HP - j.HK (land)
cr.MP - st.MK - st.HP (launch)
j.HP - j.HK - H-airball - dash - j.MP - j.HK (land)
<rest of combo>

I'm confused....maybe I'm looking at the wrong combo.

Nah you didn't mess up, it's the same combo from a c.lk starter, and I wrote a j.mk j.hk instead of a j.mp j.hk for the restand that's in every filia combo blah

According to the Queen of Skullgirls, the combo notation is as follows:

Aaaand I'm throwing it into the OP.

Edit:
I had a shower thought that led to (according to the damage calculation spreadsheet) 900-1000 MORE DAMAGE in my advanced midscreen combo at the cost of adding a legit 1-frame link and a 1/2 frame link (whatever j.hk to c.mp is) I guess? This puts us at 9k damage midscreen off a jump-in! Supposing I didn't completely fuck up the numbers or anything. Which I probably did. I'm very delirious right now.

I've tested the new bits on Parasoul and Valentine. This should work on everybody but Double and Squigly.

The hardest part is connecting c.LK after the dash. Also, you have to stagger the last grounded series (to reground the opponent) or s.HP won't launch.

And j.MK only works if you do the jump arc perfectly. I ended up getting it to connect only when I did a crossover, heh.

I want to say that this is basically impractical but dumber shit has been done in real matches for less gain.

Last edited:
is that "nj".LP in severin's wall combo supposed to mean neutral jump or normal jump (to distinguish it from a launch cancel/raw super jump state)?

is that "nj".LP in severin's wall combo supposed to mean neutral jump or normal jump (to distinguish it from a launch cancel/raw super jump state)?
Both, really. It's a neutral jump forward (not a super jump) that isn't done as a jump cancel.

its like what i did in mine (around 5 seconds in or so) i like to call it a rejump...

I think its easier to just call it a jump. In every combo except for a few you never have to manually super jump the game dose it for you after a launcher. So I think its just easier to right it out normally instead of making up some confusing new term for it. But what ever its not that important and as long as you get your point across it doesn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.