• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Fire Emblem

Besides which more characters need pants.
The weird one-peice swimsuit school of design can die off any time now, all characters should have a good pair of pants on them, or at least some shorts.

I didn't mention armor, my point was about pants, sorry.

Besides which more characters need pants.
The weird one-peice swimsuit school of design can die off any time now, all characters should have a good pair of pants on them, or at least some shorts.
I think there's a fine mix of with and without.
I mean there's about nine of both pants and no pant (I'm counting with skirts/dresses, and 4 of the latter nine being characters that fight as big monsters)

No, all characters will have pants.
If you've got a skirt, put on some Levi's under that shit.
It is now law.

Reactions: SanoBaron
I doubt they have a Levi's store in Fire Emblem world.

how about everyone wears pants
but they wear them
as shirts

I skimmed while skipping the (maybe?) spoiler stuff.

Anyways, that is my entire opinion on Fates. Gameplay is totally salvageable, it might be better, or maybe worse than Awakening. I've never played it, I can't say.

Read the gameplay (and a bit on characters) feedback I posted above, looks like game of the year material.

Story and characters are supposed to be really good in execution from what I've read from people who've actually played it.

Jesus christ it's so dumb. It sounds so dumb that I actually think I lost some IQ points reading it. I just-

You mean you had any left after suffering through Blazblue's terrible story :3

Last edited:
Reactions: abc
Story and characters are supposed to be really good in execution from what I've read from people who've actually played it.

I mean, a good execution doesn't stop the base concept from being absolute garbage.
The gameplay could be the absolute greatest of any Fire Emblem game but you still bounce off your sister's boobs in a first-person cutscene and that makes me not want to play it.

i didn't know that the base concept of the game was "your sister's tits"

You're right I'm sorry, let me try and be specific.

Fire Emblem Fates seems to ironically caught between two, on the one hand it wants to be a tragically written story about family and bonds and which is more important to any individual player, but at the same time it wants to copy Awakening so bad, especially one of the most prominent mechanics, that whole dating sim aspect. So the base concept for Fates' options for the player interacting with characters within the game is romancing your immediate family, and the game even emphasizes this in the character designs and that petting nonsense. The game tries to cover up the fact by acknowledging it in a I guess neat and realistic way, but that doesn't change the fact that there are in fact a handful of mechanics based around romancing with your extended family and I do not like that.

Reactions: Meow-Professor
I mean, a good execution doesn't stop the base concept from being absolute garbage.

The base story concept (the whole Hoshido Nohr thing) seems okay tbh. The strength of that, and whether it turns out cliche or very good, depends on execution.

I could care less about petting or incest. Gameplay has been confirmed to be good by people who have played it. Characters and story have generally been stated as good by people who have played it. That's all I need.

The gameplay could be the absolute greatest of any Fire Emblem game but you still bounce off your sister's boobs in a first-person cutscene and that makes me not want to play it.

That's a shame imo.

On forums where I hang around, this tends to be a common opinion

Playing an rpg for the story? All rpg and game stories are shit.

You want a story? Read a book. Not a manga. A book.

I don't quite agree with that. I like game stories, even if I don't think they have the depth of great literature. I like fantasy, adventure, and escapism, and I like those things in an interactive medium like games because they let me pretend I have friends get immersed in the world and atmosphere.

But, what I look for in games, whether it be on a story or gameplay basis, is some sort of emotional reaction. And gameplay absolutely can do that. Most games these days don't, but gameplay has every potential to deliver heart pounding excitement, nail biting tension, and gut wrenching visceral reactions that leave you feeling like you had an experience.

Fire Emblem gameplay already does that.

So now that I know the gameplay is up to or beyond the series standards, I already know I'm going to have an experience. Hopefully the story will also give me a different, but equally great, experience alongside it. But either way, I already got all dem feels I need to justify the time and money I'll be putting into the game.

Honestly, I'm sick of the whole pointless debates about story and characters from people who not only haven't played it yet, but don't seem to value gameplay too much. I'm getting close to just muting this thread, because these opinions are rather worthless to me.

Fire Emblem Fates seems to ironically caught between two, on the one hand it wants to be a tragically written story about family and bonds and which is more important to any individual player, but at the same time it wants to copy Awakening so bad, especially one of the most prominent mechanics, that whole dating sim aspect.

I agree petting vs dramatic story is bad for tone.

But if it turns out the story is good and the characters are likable, and it seems to be heading that way, at some point I just stop giving a fuck and enjoy what's good.

It reminds me of a friend of mine who wouldn't watch South Park for years because it was "too filthy" and then finally caved ten years later, at which point it instantly became one of her favorite shows of all time.

Last edited:
you're acting as if your only options for romance are your siblings, though
there's several handfuls worth of characters that you can romance and give affectionate rubs

not to mention, the rubs aren't even a required mechanic for increasing Supports. it's literally a "do as you like, ignore as you like" thing
you can increase supports the normal way, with no rubs involved

plus, if we're gonna get into the spoilery business
the only character within the main cast that you are related to by blood is Azura, who is your cousin by virtue of Queen Shenmei and Queen Mikoto being sisters. Romancing Azura is it's own deal entirely, but we all know the deal in some cultures with cousins. Your Hoshido and Nohr siblings are step-siblings and adopted siblings, respectively. And while romancing these characters requires a convenient ignoring of the westermarck effect, japan has, time and again, proven to have more lax mindsets in regards to these kinds of things in fiction.
Regardless of that, whomever you romance if you decide to romance anyone in the game at all, is at player discretion
I don't care to pursue any of the siblings myself (my heart belongs to arthur and my luchador son), but I feel that you are, once again, boiling the game down to "your sister's tits"

again, from what I can tell, romancing characters takes time, so if you want to try to push your MC and your sister hard early on, that's because YOU want to.
not because the game wants you to.

But that's just it, so much emphasis is placed on the incestuous aspects. Aside from the sister's tit bouncing cutscene, there's also the fact that the first trailer we got for the two family mechanic that the entire game is based around, introduced the Nohr side with your sister's tits, and that fact that she still calls you onii-chan after marriage when you're rubbing her goddamn face.

I understand that the incest is optional, but it's also emphasized and really the fact that it's even allowed is gross.

Also, yeah

the only character within the main cast that you are related to by blood is Azura, who is your cousin by virtue of Queen Shenmei and Queen Mikoto being sisters. Romancing Azura is it's own deal entirely, but we all know the deal in some cultures with cousins. Your Hoshido and Nohr siblings are step-siblings and adopted siblings, respectively. And while romancing these characters requires a convenient ignoring of the westermarck effect, japan has, time and again, proven to have more lax mindsets in regards to these kinds of things in fiction.

Pardon me, I'm gonna go dry heave.
The idea that an incestuous relationship is fine because it's not by blood is still gross because they still act like your siblings and they still treat you like a sibling, the mindset doesn't go away because of that technicality.
And there's still the fact of the onii-chan facerubbing business because while the game doesn't technically contain incest, it's still fetishizing it.

I honestly find some of the "gameplay is no good without story" stuff more offensive and vomit worthy then anything incest related.

If everyone's a consenting mature adult, hey, whatever floats your boat. Not like it's hurting anyone. But don't you dare ruin my games with your casual bullshit. Then it's go time motherfucker.

Last edited:
But that's just it, so much emphasis is placed on the incestuous aspects. Aside from the sister's tit bouncing cutscene, there's also the fact that the first trailer we got for the two family mechanic that the entire game is based around, introduced the Nohr side with your sister's tits, and that fact that she still calls you onii-chan after marriage when you're rubbing her goddamn face.

I understand that the incest is optional, but it's also emphasized and really the fact that it's even allowed is gross.
that's not a problem with the game, that's a problem with the marketing.

Off topic, but since I'm close to muting this thread, I just want to get one actual complaint off my chest:

I've always felt Fire Emblem's character designs were mostly forgettable. They usually fall into "generic" and top off at "solid". Awakening and If/Fates just follows this trend.

But what bugs me is that I found out that Awakening and If/Fates character designer was/is the artist for No More Heroes. That game has hella inspired character designs and art style. It's almost like he forced himself to be more generic to fit in with the series standards.

tbh I was quite turned off about the game based on what we'd heard. But after hearing about the story and that the gameplay is harder and more alike that of previous games, I'm getting more ready to pick this up. What turned me off wasn't necessarily the romanicing, but the side stuff with supports again. What I've read about the gameplay being deeper and more complex like in previous games while still keeping the simple systems and the fact the stories are still good both have reinvigorated me about this. I probably shoulda looked at those first instead of getting caught up in stuff I probably won't pay to much attention to. Time to stop being negative and enjoy the gameplay!

imo though, story can heighten gameplay, but in FE's case, the only time where story really does anything for the combat is when it clashes with what's going on, and that's very rare. Only example I can think off the top of my head is the stage in the rain where you're running from Gangriel's men. It's a suspensful and emotional time, with you realizing the men aren't really guilty of anything but being under Gangriel's thumb, but its still a mission about killing the boss, instead of just plain escape, which would have worked better for it. Other than that one example, however, the two generally support each other but don't interfere. I could be totally down with just an iron man of random stages to play through, that'd be hella fun!

I've always felt Fire Emblem's character designs were mostly forgettable. They usually fall into "generic" and top off at "solid". Awakening and If/Fates just follows this trend.

But what bugs me is that I found out that Awakening and If/Fates character designer was/is the artist for No More Heroes. That game has hella inspired character designs and art style. It's almost like he forced himself to be more generic to fit in with the series standards.
He's the character designer and artist, not the art director.
He's at the whims of those above him and what they approve to be in the game.
Kozaki isn't even in charge of armor and weapon design, iirc.
If you look the concept art for Awakening, you'll see that basically every character went through a small handful of designs, but the more minor characters, the ones more representative of a class in their design like Sumia and the pegasus class, generally had their body/armor design consistent across each concept, with different heads/faces/accessories, giving the impression that Kozaki was just making unique heads for those characters, and then making the official art for them once everything got approved

It actually annoys me when everyone throws all the blame his way, considering he is, again, not the art director and not in charge of much of anything.
I agree that NMH has better designs though, Kozaki's style fits with the more out-there modern style than the anime fantasy setting.
Bring back Senri Kita, PoR and RD had the best character designs

What I've read about the gameplay being deeper and more complex like in previous games

Actually it's the same systems as Awakening, it just gives them some polish and fixes the minor flaws that screwed up Awakening's end-game.

*edit* missed this

He's the character designer and artist, not the art director...It actually annoys me when everyone throws all the blame his way, considering he is, again, not the art director and not in charge of much of anything.
Heh, my mistake. I'll blame the higher ups then lol.

And yeah, I agree that Fire Emblem is certainly not fit for quite the same weirdness that NMH embodies, but something a bit more striking would have been nice.

Last edited:
Just like to say here, I think when you have beach scenes like, straight off the bat with pictures like Camilla's...I think that's kinda pushing incest. IDK. It might just be Japan being wacky, or me being overly sensitive, but why did it have to be there? Did it develop the plot? The characters?

I skimmed while skipping the (maybe?) spoiler stuff.

Read the gameplay (and a bit on characters) feedback I posted above, looks like game of the year material.

I did. None of it really seems that important to me, honestly. "It has a lot of levels" probably just means it'll drag on. And the other comments don't really reach me. Doesn't seem anything much, let alone reason to just fire off "GOTY". Lunatic Mode re-balancing is nice though.

You mean you had any left after suffering through Blazblue's terrible story :3

But Squire-Senpai, Blazblue's story actually made s-s-sense!
When you read the manga.
And the light novels.
And watch the animation.
And read the other manga.
And play the games.
And...The Bloodedge Xperience.
And Remix Heart.

I did. None of it really seems that important to me, honestly. "It has a lot of levels" probably just means it'll drag on. And the other comments don't really reach me. Doesn't seem anything much, let alone reason to just fire off "GOTY". Lunatic Mode re-balancing is nice though.

94 chapters between all 3 routes, so no it won't drag on. That's standard length, just 3 games. In other words, they're actually selling us 3 games, not 1/3rd of a game.

I guess you don't care too much about gameplay. What all that says to me is that my favorite srpg franchise just got massively deeper, more challenging, more varied, and better. Awakening had the seeds of good new ideas (pairing and dual strike are brilliant on paper) but desperately needed some fine tuning and polish. Fates seems to deliver that.

He listed:

-Smarter map design that requires more tactics
-More varied map design with more gimmicks
-More balanced dual strike mechanics that make both enemies and player characters more dangerous, meaning more tactics needed
-No more bullshit rng on dual strikes
-Everyone can kill, so no more "baby sitting" half the team while the good units kill everything
-All 3 routes are the length of full length FE games, so it's not just 1/3rd of a game.
-More challenging overall
-Lunatic is actually good
-Thoughtless weapon durability replaced with something that requires more tactics

So basically massively improves everything that makes an srpg tactical, thoughtful, tense, and fun.

That's enough for a game of the year for me, although it might tie with Xenoblade Chronicles X. Doubt I'll like the gameplay as much in that one though, so Fates will probably take the crown.

But hey, if you don't care about gameplay in your video games...well I can see why you're a Blazblue fan. Heheheh.*

But Squire-Senpai, Blazblue's story actually made s-s-sense!
When you read the manga.
And the light novels.
And watch the animation.
And read the other manga.
And play the games.
And...The Bloodedge Xperience.
And Remix Heart.

That's a nice soap opera ya got there. Can't wait for the next 20 installments.

Too bad none of it is actually good ;)*

Keep in mind I'm just messing with ya. I have nothing against Blazblue. Not a fan of it, but it's okay. Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
94 chapters between all 3 routes, so no it won't drag on. That's standard length, just 3 games. In other words, they're actually selling us 3 games, not 1/3rd of a game.

I guess you don't care too much about gameplay. What all that says to me is that my favorite srpg franchise just got massively deeper, more challenging, more varied, and better.

He listed:

-Smarter map design that requires more tactics
-More varied map design with more gimmicks
-More balanced dual strike mechanics that make both enemies and player characters more dangerous, meaning more tactics needed
-No more bullshit rng on dual strikes
-Everyone can kill, so no more "baby sitting" half the team while the good units kill everything
-All 3 routes are the length of full length FE games, so it's not just 1/3rd of a game.
-More challenging overall
-Lunatic is actually good
-Thoughtless weapon durability replaced with something that requires more tactics

So basically massively improves everything that makes an srpg tactical, thoughtful, tense, and fun.

That's enough for a game of the year for me, although it might tie with Xenoblade Chronicles X. Doubt I'll like the gameplay as much in that one though, so Fates will probably take the crown.

But hey, if you don't care about gameplay in your video games...well I can see why you're a Blazblue fan. Heheheh.

Smarter map design is a plus, yes. Not too big of a fan on gimmicks, but variation is nice.
But when it comes to dual strike I don't feel either way. They handled it in a meh way for me. I feel like the only time I'd see myself using the attack version (Again, might be different with a hands on experience, but I wouldn't know.), would be for killing a boss.
Meanwhile the fact that units can all kill actually removes some of the challenge when it comes to using units correctly. I think the idea of some units not being able to kill effectively made Awakening more strategic when it comes down to it. I liked that every unit wasn't just "1 HIT KILLS 1 HIT KILLS DIE" the whole time. Maybe it's because I used the more durable and defensive units, but again, the experience might be different hands on.
I still feel that the whole "there's a lot of levels" means nothing. I would probably just play Nohr and be done. I don't think I would exactly be craving any more than that, unless a large time gap was provided.

Challenging doesn't equal a good game, I don't think. If you play games for difficulty you could just bang your head against a wall for a while instead.

Now on weapon durability, I think it's the biggest turn off I've ever seen. Weapon durability was a fantastic way to balance the player's budget, and remove the ability to only ever buy healing items, or consumables. Now, you only need to buy a single weapon for every unit you plan on using (Perhaps two or three depending on the unit), let alone the ones you don't use. You could simply just convoy them around between missions anyways, since they will not degrade. It is by far one of the most disappointing and terrible things Fates could have done. Honestly it removes a huge amount of depth from the game, which they replace with mechanics I feel are not drastic enough to actually make up for the loss.

Again, these are nice additions, but nothing GOTY worthy, I don't think. It just seems like some minor fix-ups for some minor complaints.

Meanwhile the fact that units can all kill actually removes some of the challenge when it comes to using units correctly. I think the idea of some units not being able to kill effectively made Awakening more strategic when it comes down to it. I liked that every unit wasn't just "1 HIT KILLS 1 HIT KILLS DIE" the whole time.

You need to make use of dual strike and buffs though. It's not just "anyone can one shot", more "everyone is useful"...which counts for the enemies too.

But when it comes to dual strike I don't feel either way. They handled it in a meh way for me. I feel like the only time I'd see myself using the attack version (Again, might be different with a hands on experience, but I wouldn't know.),

Well, hardcore srpg fans with hands on experience say otherwise so...

Challenging doesn't equal a good game, I don't think. If you play games for difficulty you could just bang your head against a wall for a while instead..

Do you even know who you're talking to? (This took me like 3 play sessions after I beat the game. Hour or two each.) Seriously you picked the wrong guy to talk disparagingly about challenge!

In all seriousness, more challenging doesn't equal better, but having difficulty suited to the skills of a player makes it easier to attain a level of tension and excitement necessary to enjoyable combat gameplay.

I like gameplay for excitement and tension, which a well adapted difficulty is necessary to.

Now on weapon durability, I think it's the biggest turn off I've ever seen. Weapon durability was a fantastic way to balance the player's budget, and remove the ability to only ever buy healing items, or consumables. Now, you only need to buy a single weapon for every unit you plan on using (Perhaps two or three depending on the unit), let alone the ones you don't use. You could simply just convoy them around between missions anyways, since they will not degrade. It is by far one of the most disappointing and terrible things Fates could have done. Honestly it removes a huge amount of depth from the game, which they replace with mechanics I feel are not drastic enough to actually make up for the loss.

You're in the minority here. Weapon durability was always pointless. I can't think of one time I actually had to balance my budget, or avoid weapon breakage, because it's absurdly easy to do so. It was a brainless chore that didn't force me to think at all.

What it's been replaced with is a system of buffs and debuffs that actually adds more tactics and teamwork to missions. Massive improvement.

It just seems like some massive fix-ups for some massive complaints.

ftfy. It was pretty much the only issues holding back Awakening from being the best in the franchise, gameplay wise.

Last edited:
You need to make use of dual strike and buffs though. It's not just "anyone can one shot", more "everyone is useful"...which counts for the enemies too.

Well, hardcore srpg fans with hands on experience say otherwise so...

Do you even know who you're talking to? (This took me like 3 play sessions after I beat the game. Hour or two each.)

More challenging doesn't equal better, but having difficulty suited to the skills of a player makes it easier to attain a level of tension and excitement necessary to enjoyable combat gameplay.

I like gameplay for excitement and tension, which a well adapted difficulty is necessary to.

You're in the minority here. Weapon durability was always pointless. I can't think of one time I actually had to balance my budget, or avoid weapon breakage, because it's absurdly easy to do so. It was a brainless chore that didn't force me to think at all.

What it's been replaced with is a system of buffs and debuffs that actually adds more tactics and teamwork to missions. Massive improvement.

ftfy. It was pretty much the only issues holding back Awakening from being the best in the franchise, gameplay wise.
What I'm Interpreting is (And please excuse me being rude):
"This is my opinion, your opinion is wrong."

The definition of this post is you are stating that, in your opinion, that you like these things better. You're saying that these things make the game better, I'm saying they do not. The difference is you (At least from the conclusive tone of your writing), seem to think your opinion is fact and mine is just baseless conjecture. It's wrong to just say certain things are better simply because you think so. I'm saying these systems are not a big deal, and I have minor problems with them, or like them, whatever, at a basic level. That I feel these make Fates a lesser or greater game. You're saying that these are all just flat improvements. That they could not be seen as problems.

None of these changes are more than a slight improvement, and I feel that I have the right to say that's my opinion. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm saying I feel that way. But you're saying you like it, and that those are changes every person should like.

It's opinions, man. If you wanna PM or something, okay, but I don't want to have a giant argument that I've already had multiple times IRL. I get it, I'm an oddball.

I don't have huge problems with Fates. It's not a catastrophically bad game or whatever. Heck, I love games worse than Fates will probably be (I can feel the word Blazblue being typed in my soul), but I just don't think I like it as much as Awakening.

The difference is you (At least from the conclusive tone of yoour writing), seem to think your opinion is fact and mine is just baseless conjecture.

Actually, I agree that taste in games is entirely subjective. However, I thought you were the one stating things as fact, by saying things like "only minor improvements" etc. Miscommunication :3 Probably some bad reading comprehension and communication on my part too, sorry.

From the feedback I've heard, most of the changes make for deeper, better balanced game, which are objective to some extent. Of course, this could still not be to someones tastes, but I wanted to point out that these are significant changes that are worth getting hyped over (or at least interested in) and just saying "oh the story sounds bad, FUCK THIS GAME" sounds like an easy road to missing out, big time.

Also be fair, a lot of your posts were very conjecture heavy (ie "I haven't played or tried this but I bet it'll work like this").

but I just don't think I like it as much as Awakening.

Heh, I'm in the minority who actually likes Awakening a lot myself. I was just trolling with the Blazblue stuff, dun worry about it, heh.

I hope I haven't given you the wrong impression or anything. I'm pretty easy going and I don't mean to be too pushy with any opinions or whatever. Just trying to have a friendly discussion.

I apologize if I came off too strong.

Anyway, I think I'm done with this thread for a while. Bored of reading all the incest blah blah blah for 8 pages straight, and doubt anything else will get talked about for the next few months. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Last edited:
Some more DLC info from Siliconera for Fates.
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/2...c-map-will-feature-characters-from-awakening/

I loved Awakening (I'm pretty excited to see Chrom in the DLC). It is probably my favourite FE game so far just because of all the improvements the game had over the previous FE games. I'm really hyped for Fates despite the character criticism/fan service. I think it will be a fantastic game that I will do another play through immediately after finishing it like I did with Awakening.

It really is just Awakening 2 at this rate.

which is not a bad thing.

I've had more fun with Awakening than any other fire emblem I've ever played.

Eh, I'm looking forward to Fates not as Awakening, because I have a massive list of issues with Awakening, but the tighter and more varied gameplay and greater challenge in some areas definitely catches my interest. It's definitely Awakening 2 in many regards, but at least this time I may be able to stomach it...

Though I do hope they go back to something more...traditional with the next game. Even if its a more classic-style adventure, I want to see whatever comes after Fates to be its own thing, not tied to Awakening's popularity and trying to do anything outrageous like the 3 alternate paths. I want innovation, but I'd also like to see them do something with that innovation in the vein of FE7 or maybe a rerelease of an old Jap exclusive FE? Iunno.

I want innovation, but I'd also like to see them do something with that innovation in the vein of FE7 or maybe a rerelease of an old Jap exclusive FE? Iunno.

The issue with a straight-up remake of one of the never-localized games is that, baring the two remakes that we lost, there's only Gaiden, which might be interesting, Genealogy of the Holy War, which would actually be pretty cool, Tharcia, which I think I may have mentioned once as being literal garbage, and Binding Blade, which, even though I still like it, is absolutely nothing special. We already have most of the good or interesting games in our language, so remaking any of them outside of Genealogy and maybe Gaiden again would be reaching.

A remake to make them better could work though...I could see geneology given the direction things are going. I'd actually be interested in seeing that...

honestly the only remake I particularly want is Tellius HD with Actual Good Visuals and some fixes to the gameplay

I'm playing through Path of Radiance for the first time ever basically blind (mostly going to the wiki to make sure someone is actually recruitable or a boss). I'm really enjoying it a lot so far and I want to play Radiant Dawn afterwards.

Also, yeah

Pardon me, I'm gonna go dry heave.
The idea that an incestuous relationship is fine because it's not by blood is still gross because they still act like your siblings and they still treat you like a sibling, the mindset doesn't go away because of that technicality.
And there's still the fact of the onii-chan facerubbing business because while the game doesn't technically contain incest, it's still fetishizing it.

a) Japanese game made by japanese people in Japan where the "onii-chan" stuff is seen differently than in the west
b) Medieval setting with medieval-like characters inspired by the middle ages where marriages between family members were a thing for political reasons.

It can gross you out, but they have a basis to be there.

also she doesn't call you "onii-chan" she called herself "onee-chan"
get it right jfc

Reactions: SanoBaron