• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Focusing Community Turnout at SG Tourney Events

What about SoCal regionals? Has anyone been to both tournaments, does SCR seem like they'd be more willing to work with us if we could promise them numbers?

@Sunset Radiance do you think you could ask people at the next Salty to post their thoughts in this thread?

Iirc, the main complaint of SoCal Regionals was the small venue size. And yeah, I'll ask them.

Reactions: FuLLBLeeD
If SoCal Regionals is going to be at e-Sports Arena, I'm not sure anyone has a reason to actually want to go.

It's incredibly far from everyone except say Weatherbee and Red Witch.
The Venue is INCREDIBLY small for a major.
People already have previous disdain for Valle.
Parking costs decent money for local players.

If it weren't for the absolutely small size, I'd definitely consider it.

Sure, it isn't' a flight's worth of pain, but couldn't we find anywhere else before we consider eSports Arena

If SoCal Regionals is going to be at e-Sports Arena, I'm not sure anyone has a reason to actually want to go.

It's incredibly far from everyone except say Weatherbee and Red Witch.
The Venue is INCREDIBLY small for a major.
People already have previous disdain for Valle.
Parking costs decent money for local players.

If it weren't for the absolutely small size, I'd definitely consider it.

Sure, it isn't' a flight's worth of pain, but couldn't we find anywhere else before we consider eSports Arena

I didn't even realize that SCR was moving to esports arena. I've heard not great things about the management of Valle's tournaments though.

Are there are any other multi-day events in that area that I'm not aware of?

I'm not SoCal of course, but like midiman said Valle seems to think very little of SG and I dont think there's any real hope at this point of SG being treated with any sort of decency at any of his events. I like the idea of a "super-Salty" but idk how the logistics of that would work out.

As for northeast, I hadn't heard of GUTS not happening this year but that's unfortunate. I hope DTN ends up being good, last year people were saying it was pretty sus but if sage is running it this time I'll give it a shot. Would it be feasible for Xeno to have some sort of larger event? (I know the venue isn't that big but idk if they have access to other space)

I'm helping run an event in upper NY in July. It's Defend the North. If you're on the east coast you should make it out! I'll be running SG so it will be all gooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

Wasn't there some controversy last Defend the North with Skullgirls? I recall some of the community being upset with it.

I'm really interested to hear which Cali major the SG community thinks we should rally behind. I've gone to a lot of tournaments, but I've never been to one in that region.

NCR is having a side tournament for SG and is part of the SG tour. SCR is the other option. There's been talks about having some sort of larger scale Salty tournament. I think the sooner we get this discussion on this and get the ball rolling, the better. California has the largest SG weeklies in the country but no official regional presence for the game yet.
If worse came to worst would a "Super Salty" tournament really be that out of the ordinary?

Wasn't there some controversy last Defend the North with Skullgirls? I recall some of the community being upset with it.
From what I remember:

DTN wanted a minimum of like 40(?) out of state(?) players, which just was never going to happen at that point in time. Some people also didn't want to go for some reason I don't remember, might have been past experience at that event. There was something about it happening too close to another event as well (which is why the open TO letter was made iirc). The few people who did go were upset because no one else was there, and I think the TO was upset they didn't get the numbers they wanted.

I didn't go so I don't know for sure, but that's what I remember of DTN. It'd be nice if it went better this time.

edit: yeah, just search "defend the north" and "dtn" in this thread. It was talked about a lot.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone. This has been an ongoing conversation over here in the west coast of wanting a major to host SG. I let you guys know how NCR goes, since I be out there hosting a tourny there for it. Given I have heard stories from other people that NCR is not kind to anime in general, but I will see this for myself if its true or note.

As far as other places, yea Valle doesn't think very much of the SG scene. I was going to say what about Anime Accession? I like the idea of a Super Salty, but the logistics would need to be ironed out. Maybe attaching outselves to possibly the smash majors? Throwing out ideas here.

I would also like to add that from my time talking to Hellpockets about NCR, NCR is mostly seen as a capcom major for the most part with it being a CPT event. Plus I found out that the anime community up here is pretty happy not being a part of NCR, and running weeklies at dogfights. There were talks of making a major or something of the sort, but nothing much came from those talks.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone. This has been an ongoing conversation over here in the west coast of wanting a major to host SG. I let you guys know how NCR goes, since I be out there hosting a tourny there for it. Given I have heard stories from other people that NCR is not kind to anime in general, but I will see this for myself if its true or note.

As far as other places, yea Valle doesn't think very much of the SG scene. I was going to say what about Anime Accession? I like the idea of a Super Salty, but the logistics would need to be ironed out. Maybe attaching outselves to possibly the smash majors? Throwing out ideas here.

Wasn't Anime Ascension being advertised on Revelator's main menu featured events for awhile? I think that would be a great home for Skullgirls, and it would probably be pretty easy to convince them to run it.

It's also not the same month as any other tournaments, which is always a good thing, and almost a full month after Frosty's.

http://aksysgames.com/animeascension/games-bonuses/

There's tons of crossover with SG's players and other games on this list.

I mean, it's not gonna be another full year before the next Anime Ascension, but I really have a good feeling about this one.

Reactions: clawmaster
Wasn't Anime Ascension being advertised on Revelator's main menu featured events for awhile? I think that would be a great home for Skullgirls, and it would probably be pretty easy to convince them to run it.

It's also not the same month as any other tournaments, which is always a good thing, and almost a full month after Frosty's.

http://aksysgames.com/animeascension/games-bonuses/

There's tons of crossover with SG's players and other games on this list.

Yea I be down for this idea.

Nah

I'm helping run an event in upper NY in July. It's Defend the North. If you're on the east coast you should make it out! I'll be running SG so it will be all gooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.
thank god, last year's dtn was trash for sg

On the topic of NCR with SG: Yeah, let's not do that next time IMO. Clawmaster was a great TO for the event, but we found out last minute that there was only 1 PS4 setup at the event so we had to use our laptops as makeshift setups just to run the event on time for the stream. Absolutely the most fun sets of SG I've played over there, but not having a decent venue in California is frustrating.

I do have a proposal to make though! How does the SoCal and NorCal community feel about driving to Fresno to play SG? We had a big 1-day FG event called Cen-Cal Standoff last month, with a very stacked UMvC3 and Street Fighter V (and Melee/Smash4 too!) bracket consisting of NorCal/SoCal players plus a few from Vegas and Mexico. The venue has multiple rooms/floors where we can potentially setup a decent 30-man bracket and there's a giant theater room to watch Top 8s. Venue fee is also around $15-$20 depending on if you're early registering or not. It's a fairly new regional event here so I understand the reservations people may have, but personally I can say that I had a ton of fun here despite being SFV hater #5000. I'd have to do a quite a lot of convincing with the TOs(since it was a joint project between all of the Central California TOs), but interest in this thread would make it easier. They're a nice team so I'm sure I can work out a way to get main stage + stream time if it were possible.

(Also I THINK Game Realms sponsored this event?)

edit: in regards to timing, it would probably be right between frosty and nwm (early march) if cen-cal standoff were to happen again next year

Last edited:
That would suit me just fine.

Agreed with jawnsun about the idea. NCR is not a place for skullgirls as I had hope for. I dolike the idea of cen-cal being the SG place since its at Fresno and the center point of Cali for both parties. Plus working with the TO from cen-cal (Leftshoe) this weekend he would be a big help to the event.

Agreed with jawnsun about the idea. NCR is not a place for skullgirls as I had hope for. I dolike the idea of cen-cal being the SG place since its at Fresno and the center point of Cali for both parties. Plus working with the TO from cen-cal (Leftshoe) this weekend he would be a big help to the event.

So that event.

Plus Anime Ascension? (this is where I'd put eye emojis if skullheart had them)

Any more feedback on Anime Ascension?

Also, what is the East Coast tournament the community is wanting to support? If we could rally behind Defend the North, would they be able to bump us up to a tier 1 game in the future? Is it worth trying to talk to Big E again about NEC? @dekillsage @keninblack +any other EC players

Would not do Big E tournament again.

He dropped us despite pulling numbers in after the numerous times he shafted us.

"your" call.

He dropped Skullgirls due to people complaining behind his back instead of talking directly to him about problems.
Just sayin.
I'm sure he'd be open to things again, given a proper discussion.

I dunno, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results doesn't seem like a productive idea to me. One way or another he did know there were problems, and instead of owning up to it he just kicks us out for having the nerve to expect setups and payouts. Should we really go crawling back to him to beg for more of that?

Is there anything else at all near Philly we could try instead?

Big E is a nice guy, but his tournaments are a mess with the exception of the most recent NEC I went too which had some problems for other games like Uniel. If communication is key its not likely we can work with those events.

If we could show Defend the North we want to make that the East Coast (northeast) tournament to focus on, would they be able to give us more stuff next time? Main game status, stream time, etc?

I mean, who knows. Hard to be a main game when our average is 30 entrants. We'll have stream time at this years DTN.

My thinking was, we got the community to rally and support NEC before. We could do that with another Northeast event, might as well be Defend the North.

I'll be going to DTN.

Our average isn't 30 entrants. GUTS was the lowest turnout tournament this year with 31 and NWM was close with 35, but CEOtaku had 70, Frosty had 60, and CB is gonna have whatever it's gonna have (last year was like 160). We can probably get about 70 at an NE major if we pushed for it. Isn't 70 enough for main game status?

I think it's really important to start pushing for attendance at DTN and also trying to get something going on the West Coast (which is why I've been pushing for Anime Ascension so hard). Frostys, CEOTaku, and Combobreaker always get good numbers so those are locks for support. NWM is too but it's the only SG major that had less entrants this year than last year.

Getting the number of majors Skullgirls is featured at from 4 to 6 would be really great, and there would be a major in every region for Skullgirls, including 2 in the midwest!

NWM is too but it's the only SG major that had less entrants this year than last year.
Frosty had less entrants than last year as well.

Edit: Oh wait, nvm. Was looking at the wrong thing.

Last edited:
Our average isn't 30 entrants. GUTS was the lowest turnout tournament this year with 31 and NWM was close with 35, but CEOtaku had 70, Frosty had 60, and CB is gonna have whatever it's gonna have (last year was like 160). We can probably get about 70 at an NE major if we pushed for it. Isn't 70 enough for main game status?

Northeasts average is 30 and that includes players who came from other regions. 70 for main game is not enough. What does main game even mean to you guys anyways? At FF is was a "main game" and we were put on the side stream, so does it really matter if it has that title or not?

Northeasts average is 30 and that includes players who came from other regions. 70 for main game is not enough. What does main game even mean to you guys anyways? At FF is was a "main game" and we were put on the side stream, so does it really matter if it has that title or not?

No, not really. Good point. I just want to get the community to rally harder behind more events.

Northeasts average is 30 and that includes players who came from other regions. 70 for main game is not enough.
Oh, you mean NE major average? Isn't that just GUTS and BigE at this point? Like within the past 2 years. We also got like 90 at the last NEC people wanted to go to, and we've grown a bit since then.

What does main game even mean to you guys anyways? At FF is was a "main game" and we were put on the side stream, so does it really matter if it has that title or not?
Every tournament treats main game status differently, so it's I guess a meaningless phrase in any capacity at this point in the FGC's life. Things I'd like from any tournament we'd go to would be Top 8 on a main stream, and having more just Top 8 streamed.

Oh, you mean NE major average? Isn't that just GUTS and BigE at this point? Like within the past 2 years. We also got like 90 at the last NEC people wanted to go to, and we've grown a bit since then.

Northeast made up 36 of those entrants. Not that many people for a tournament in our region. And no, we really haven't. We're stuck at this spot where people have left and joined the scene but numbers have not gone up. They've remained low(North East events) or pretty alright (Taku, FF)

Every tournament treats main game status differently, so it's I guess a meaningless phrase in any capacity at this point in the FGC's life. Things I'd like from any tournament we'd go to would be Top 8 on a main stream, and having more just Top 8 streamed.

With our recent numbers at none CB events its not likely. Big E not giving us main stage didn't bother me nearly as much as the other stuff that happens at those events. Focus less on main stream or main game and focus more on getting more players to events and having a well run tournament. Side stream is fine when we can expect the event to get 30 people.

Reactions: Chip Blaster
no, we really haven't. We're stuck at this spot where people have left and joined the scene but numbers have not gone up.
Tournament numbers for Skullgirls have observably gone up since 2015.
Frosty had 23 entrants in 2015, 40 in 2016, and 60 in 2017. CEOtaku had 52 entrants in 2015, 70 in 2016. NWM and GUTS are the only events that've stayed within 10 entrants of what it had in 2015, with NWM going from 27 in 2015 to 35 this year and GUTS going from 22 to 31 entrants. That's I guess excluding Combo Breaker, if we're doing that, which had 105 in 2015 and 153 in 2016.

If you don't think that's enough growth or that it's not an even enough growth across every region that's fine, but our numbers have statistically gone up in the past 2 years.

I recall Hadou saying that Skullgirls was amongst the highest YoY growth games for Combobreaker as well. IIRC only Guilty Gear and VSav had higher YoY growth for the tournament.

I'm curious how the CB turnout will be this year. I was planning to go to NWM and CB again this year, but after the election I wasn't sure what was going to happen with travel and foreign entry, and if I didn't have things sorted by March they weren't going to happen anyway.

I was sent to this thread from the "Have an idea for a tournament we should focus attendance on? Suggest it here." link under the list of tournaments on the main page. Defend The North should be on that list imo. Lots of people are planning on going to it, as far as I know.

Revolution would be nice too, if you're still listing European tournaments.

Not sure if this will help with the tournament listing or not, I can confirm that all offline tournaments listed on the 2017-2018 Skullgirls Tour will have a significant pot bonus associated with them.

Those events are:
Defend the North
CEOtaku
Northeast Championship (NEC)
Frosty Faustings
Anime Ascension
Northwest Majors (NWM)
Combo Breaker​

We are currently working on adding Revolution to the list, but do not have definite confirmation as of yet. I would still argue that due to the support the EU SG players have put towards this event, even if they are unable to secure a pot bonus, it is 100% worth putting on the tournament front page listing to encourage other EU players to attend.

Revolution would be nice too, if you're still listing European tournaments.
Added.

Those events are:
Defend the North
CEOtaku
Northeast Championship (NEC)
Frosty Faustings
Anime Ascension
Northwest Majors (NWM)
Combo Breaker
Thanks. I haven't added the events from NEC onwards because they're still a long way off and details might change before then.

Reactions: Mr Peck