• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Fukua matchups

Very early impression, obv up to change etc

Wins free against:
- Parasoul (everything you do beats everything she tries to do)

Feels good against:
- Fortune (headon is zoneable and headoff is kept in check with L.ADart and L.Shadow)
- PW (M.Shadow can't be flown over)
- BBand (has a hard time handling just jumpback Fireball)

??? against:
- Bella (sometimes feels good sometimes okay, midrange air game is hard for her to handle and reflect is not very relevant as Fukua recovers too fast and often can even make the reflect projectile whiff)
- Filia (no Filia here, but I could see her being too fast to really zone)
- Peacock (metered this is pretty decent, and M/H Fireball at midrange keep her in check I feel, but probably more on the bad side overall - no zoning Peacock here)
- Double (no Double here)

Feels bad against:
- Val (avoids most of the zoning pretty ez and is too fast for just M.Shadow to keep her in check)
- Squigly (Can't keep her from getting punch charge, then Sing SBO is a rather notable threat)

Everyone loses:
- Fukua (wtb fighting game without mirrors)

Wins free against:

Feels good against:
- Fortune (headon is zoneable and headoff is kept in check with L.ADart and L.Shadow)

??? against:
- Bella (sometimes feels good sometimes okay, midrange air game is hard for her to handle and reflect is not very relevant as Fukua recovers too fast and often can even make the reflect projectile whiff)
- Peacock (metered this is pretty decent, and M/H Fireball at midrange keep her in check I feel, but probably more on the bad side overall - no zoning Peacock here)

Feels bad against:
- Val (avoids most of the zoning pretty ez and is too fast for just M.Shadow to keep her in check)
- Squigly (Can't keep her from getting punch charge, then Sing SBO is a rather notable threat)

Everyone loses:
my sentiments are somewhat the same except......squigs. reason being is because it depends on how fukua opens up the round. if she throws out M shadow it can be answered by double jump and maybe divekick but essientially getting a charge would be rather annoying with fireballs.
i feel the peacock matchup is easy on 1v1 but if you let peacock get fullscreen it freaking sucks for fukua. that being said shadows at mid range stops it completely.
fortune wants her head on. headless doesn't do much for her its not a good matchup for fortune at all.

BB i feel is equal due to brass > emerg brake and take the a-train. he has to be wary of L shadow and a whiffed brass gets shadow for their troubles. i'll post more about my thoughts when i get home.

my sentiments are somewhat the same except......squigs. reason being is because it depends on how fukua opens up the round. if she throws out M shadow it can be answered by double jump and maybe divekick but essientially getting a charge would be rather annoying with fireballs.
If she's just throwing out fireballs, either partition the charge (both ground and tk/air) or just take the hits continue charging (only vs tk unless you like getting hard knockdown'd). The reward is far greater than the chip/damage from 2 fireballs.

excuse me what is TK?
btw i meant if an actual fukua mixes in everything its going to be annoying.

basically if fukua smart rushes down. it allows squigs to get in....with no charge. bascially this COULD very well be an even matchup

Wins free against:

Feels good against:

??? against:

Feels bad against:

Everyone loses:
I'm basically going to parrot this because I think it is pretty similar to how I feel

I do think that against Double and Peacock it is a slight advantage though. Bella and Fillia about even, maybe slight disadvantage or perhaps slight advantage.

It is early though.

I would like to think in the Squigly matchup , Squigly is slightly better because of her very good air to air options, and the fact that she can double jump out of M Shadow range, But I havnt played many *good* squiglys much so I cant say for certain

Also to add vs filia i fought pikmario's filia. here's how i feel about it.

she's NOT that fast that you can't zone her....but you pretty much gotta be daring at times otherwise she can LK airball to victory. most times she'll waste an airdash trying to get in. so maybe you can get a CH s hp for a combo since they drop down with j mp.

the biggest problem lies in when to shadow and when to know since IAD j hp and the other tools are there for filia making it a bit more annoying. to do shadows. ironically if you're smart H fireball actually stops the IAD. so pretty much you can train them into a situation of your preference. H shadow will be your friend if you train them apporpiately since they will like to dash duck

excuse me what is TK?
btw i meant if an actual fukua mixes in everything its going to be annoying.

basically if fukua smart rushes down. it allows squigs to get in....with no charge. bascially this COULD very well be an even matchup
TK is Tiger Knee, aka when you do an air special as soon as possible once leaving the ground. 2369 would get you a fast air fireball.

And if you get in with Squig, even with no charge you're good as you could hang right on top of her and she can't do much of anything about it (esp. in the corner.) Usually they end up rawtagging at that point.

Squigly can Seria Cancel into blocks and jumps so she can jump away from inevitable Snuggle and guard against any random super that Fukua can throwout (and when I mean any I just mean Fireball and BFF)

the main concept is simple. squigs waits for fukua to go in really stupid.

while fukua would need to paitiently go in.

fukua hanging back would kill her in this matchup. but once she's in squigs doesn't have too many answers and the same goes with fukua (DO NOT COUNT H DRILL I SWEAR TO GAWDDDD...ok count it)
so if you count squigs without charge. fukua can take hits and run that back if she's VERY smart with her shadows.

its an interesting matchup for sure i'm sure i could play with @Luweewu to gain more insight on this for the both of us and all of fukua players

Fukua Can easily zone Double out too, as double lacks a good anti air and the fact that Fukua's air to air is better as well as her ground to air beats Double, Easily in Fukua's favour

Reactions: Cadenza
Against Squigly, she doesn't have much to stop you from getting in other then having a good assist backing her up. At the right angle you can punish j.HP. Her dive kick if it hits high enough she will not have enough hitstun to actually connect a combo when she lands so you can mash just about anything to get her off of you.

For peacock you have to monitor what they are doing against you. There will be gaps in the pattern you just need to double jump and maybe get some help with any lock down assist to get in. The key is to not be reckless.

Good big bands will eventually start parrying full screen fireballs. You gotta watch for Big Steps and find a way in. Upbeat and A train are nasty AA moves. Once you are in though you can abuse j. HK>j.HP though.

Her dive kick if it hits high enough she will not have enough hitstun to actually connect a combo when she lands so you can mash just about anything to get her off of you.
Never stop doing this Fukua players. I'll love you forever.

Reactions: gllt and Arcana
Against Squigly, she doesn't have much to stop you from getting in other then having a good assist backing her up. At the right angle you can punish j.HP. Her dive kick if it hits high enough she will not have enough hitstun to actually connect a combo when she lands so you can mash just about anything to get her off of you.

For peacock you have to monitor what they are doing against you. There will be gaps in the pattern you just need to double jump and maybe get some help with any lock down assist to get in. The key is to not be reckless.

Good big bands will eventually start parrying full screen fireballs. You gotta watch for Big Steps and find a way in. Upbeat and A train are nasty AA moves. Once you are in though you can abuse j. HK>j.HP though.
the BB is in favor of fukua.

fukua has to be wary of the ground.....but so does big band for L shadow. eventually either they advance forward or backwards and either or allows fukua in. it'll get to the point where big band has to do something stupid because beat extend isn't a problem due to shadows.

those are excellent points, but Assists are outliers and skew the data, we should veiw the match ups as one v one situations

can we get some val players to get in on this?

that matchup is.....weird. its an annoying matchup for me. but i don't understand why other than shadows and fireballs have to be apprpiately placed.

Squigly moves vertically quickly and has long, horizontal hitboxes. For this reason she can maneuver around Fukua pretty easily. Fukua wants to get in, in this matchup and that is why I think it is Squigly's advantage. You can't let her sit at full screen because Fukua isn't good at stopping Squigly from getting charge and Squigly with charge is scary.

Never stop doing this Fukua players. I'll love you forever.

You act like mashing is unique to Fukua players

Reactions: gllt
played a set vs a somewhat decent bella.

the matchup should be about even.

if fukua TK fireball a mid range. bella reflects its pretty much combo time. along with reflecting shadows. it ultimately comes down to actually training bella to a point to where she's looking for the reflect and then all you have to do is snipe her for the most part. fukua's wake up options kinda suck against bella. if you go for fireball you can get reflected and blown up and BFF takes a bit long. Lvl3 can do some wonders if you're REALLY random about it.

Fukua's wake up options generally suck in general though, which is why she has to play the zoning game alot to make sure she stays out of the corner

You act like mashing is unique to Fukua players
The difference is that they are playing a character that can't royally fuck up Squigly with their mash.

Fukua's wake up options generally suck in general though, which is why she has to play the zoning game alot to make sure she stays out of the corner
except most fukua's play the keepaway game and with bella. unknowingly they get pushed to the 2/3rds of the stage which is the general area of the corner.

@Luweewu

Fireball super IF it hits will cause a 25/25/25 on the hard knd. however its not advisable as it is not invinci. lvl 3 makes it too scary for squigs to go in. as she can be reset at various points.

And then? They still take damage and you still build meter. Doesn't get them anywhere?

Does he still take damage? If so then I really missed that.

parry's give chip damage

Thanks for clearing that up.

Is there any tips for the Valentine match up? She can be a handful.

And earlier it was brought up that Fukua had a good match up against Parasoul. Can anyone elaborate?

Last edited:
Parasoul's movement doesn't allow you to easily get in vs a Fukua who stays at range. Varying between the ground fireballs, mk shadow, and TK heavy fireballs keep parasoul out. She can't even really use the shield soldier as shadows go through it. Also, Parasoul is week to left/right mixups on wakeup. The zone where Pillar hits is really easy to avoid with fukua

Thanks for clearing that up.

Is there any tips for the Valentine match up? She can be a handful.

And earlier it was brought up that Fukua had a good match up against Parasoul. Can anyone elaborate?
with val you would really need to be attentive.

tbh your best tools for the matchup is simple. use shadows sparingly. most vals will do a pre-emptive j hk to dash j mp. problem? since she dashed to do the move your jumping normals will be faster since they had to dash to do another air normal. to keep her in check i used j hp. problem? no combo opportunity. In this matchup you pretty much have to pay attention to a val's playstyle. Once you do, do fukua's air crossover resets. not crossunder since she has access to scapels...which will lead to combos. ultimately you will need to subtly lead her to the corner in which she's REALLY REALLY screwed. if she tries anything you just do j hp > fireball > double jump combo to convert and then you can reset her using c mp things of your choosing

I would say it is even with Squigs because they both have good Air game

Squigly is one of Fukua's more difficult matchups actually imo.

Fukua lacks horizontal hitboxes in the air other than air fireballs, air fireballs though, cover a downward arc... Squigly's quick vertical movement gives Fukua real trouble, especially coupled with her amazing horizontal hitboxes in j.LK, j.MP and even j.HP.

Squigly doesn't struggle to stay in higher airspace than Fukua and Fukua has only downwardly angled air normals that are actually good.

The problem is Squigly can sit full screen dodging you fireballs vertically and building charge, once she has charge, as in any matchup, Fukua needs to be super careful. There isn't really much Fukua can do full screen when Squigly has charge. Fireball super takes far too long to hit fullscreen to be useful.

It is a pretty turtley matchup for Squigly, Fukua wants to rush Squigly down as hard as she can, never let her breathe. I feel Squigly just has the vertical mobility to keep out of Fukua's effective zones very well.

So ran set vs @Luweewu and i would like his thoughts on that matchup vs squigs.

its definitely one of the more obscure matchups tbh.
Just a warning that this just some thrown-together thoughts from the 1v1 Squigly player's perspective. So, lets see...

Squigly will likely be at a large meter deficit in this matchup, so spend your meter wisely as Fukua will always have more. Do not get baited into Sing xx Opera (you can't punish fullscreen air fireballs with it. Don't try.) Get your meterless combo routes and conversions down so you can save as much meter as possible.

You shouldn't have too much of a problem getting charge so get kick charge first to punish Fukua's ground game (completely open to chord.) Punch charge is of course still valuable, but keep it for a rainy day instead of throwing it out all day (as said before, you don't have much meter to play with).

If Squigly wants to approach, it's best from the ground if Fukua is playing the zoning game instead of double jumping around. You have better options and access to your stances.

Squigly can punish blockstrings with a shadow ender with PBGC 2LK(close)/2MK/2MP.

At midrange, punish shadows and ground fireballs with chord or sing xx opera. jLK can help you in the mid-close air-air and air-ground engagements. jMP can be useful at stuffing moves in close-range. You're likely going to get yourself killed with unwise jHPs so use it sparingly, beating out fireball attempts if you're in the air before Fukua.

You can easily punish an M Shadow call while in the air with a falling jHK xx Opera conversion, but if you do it too late you're going into the Fukua blender.

Speaking of the Fukua blender, that P charge you had in the back will come in handy here. DP or Sing xx Daisy will serve you well. Otherwise, good luck on guessing right to get out.

It's not wise for Squigly to autopilot reset attempts. Fukua meterless can catch you with armor grab (if on the ground and do something like 2LK, stancel and jump or throw, cancel into daisy if you want to spend meter, chord if you're quick enough, 2HK to sweep, or 5HK and jump cancel.) One meter and she can use BFF (Daisy it late on reaction and Squig should win.) Three meters and she has lvl 3 (block high or chicken block; easy punish afterward. You could also make a hard read and daisy, which would beat it.) Neutral jump chicken block will keep you safe from most of Fukua's options and leave you in a good position to punish. LK Divekick xx Sing xx Daisy/Opera is also a thing if you still have P charge and meter.

Just a warning that this just some thrown-together thoughts from the 1v1 Squigly player's perspective. So, lets see...

Squigly will likely be at a large meter deficit in this matchup, so spend your meter wisely as Fukua will always have more. Do not get baited into Sing xx Opera (you can't punish fullscreen air fireballs with it. Don't try.) Get your meterless combo routes and conversions down so you can save as much meter as possible.

You shouldn't have too much of a problem getting charge so get kick charge first to punish Fukua's ground game (completely open to chord.) Punch charge is of course still valuable, but keep it for a rainy day instead of throwing it out all day (as said before, you don't have much meter to play with).

If Squigly wants to approach, it's best from the ground if Fukua is playing the zoning game instead of double jumping around. You have better options and access to your stances.

Squigly can punish blockstrings with a shadow ender with PBGC 2LK(close)/2MK/2MP.

At midrange, punish shadows and ground fireballs with chord or sing xx opera. jLK can help you in the mid-close air-air and air-ground engagements. jMP can be useful at stuffing moves in close-range. You're likely going to get yourself killed with unwise jHPs so use it sparingly, beating out fireball attempts if you're in the air before Fukua.

You can easily punish an M Shadow call while in the air with a falling jHK xx Opera conversion, but if you do it too late you're going into the Fukua blender.

Speaking of the Fukua blender, that P charge you had in the back will come in handy here. DP or Sing xx Daisy will serve you well. Otherwise, good luck on guessing right to get out.

It's not wise for Squigly to autopilot reset attempts. Fukua meterless can catch you with armor grab (if on the ground and do something like 2LK, stancel and jump or throw, cancel into daisy if you want to spend meter, chord if you're quick enough, 2HK to sweep, or 5HK and jump cancel.) One meter and she can use BFF (Daisy it late on reaction and Squig should win.) Three meters and she has lvl 3 (block high or chicken block; easy punish afterward. You could also make a hard read and daisy, which would beat it.) Neutral jump chicken block will keep you safe from most of Fukua's options and leave you in a good position to punish. LK Divekick xx Sing xx Daisy/Opera is also a thing if you still have P charge and meter.
Thank you. Now to offer my findings from the Fukua side of the perspective.

In this match up you want to pressure squigly, forget trying to stop her from charging because fukua just isn't that mobile at all. You want to open up squigly as quickly as possible due to the nature of squigs with a charge (which will ALWAYS occur in this matchup).

use shadows sparingly and wisely. at mid range fukua can eat j hp to SBO then squigs can do her squigly things as she pleases. full range you also don't want to throw out fireballs if squigly has meter due to lvl2 sing to SBO. at close A2A you might want to use j lk (a surprisingly good normal) and then chain to j hk to get things going.

its also likely in this match up you DON"T want to mash any supers except maybe lvl 3. BFF is just TOO SLOW and fireball is not invinci.

another thing you would like to do against squigs is go for hard knockdowns. sadly you cannot do Ball super while she's charging.

what else to cover.....ah yes.

so back to the mashing process you really don't want to mash anything against squigs as c lk does its jobs of testing the waters. shadows get dodged by double jump easy so like i said this is to be used sparingly.
ironically LK drill should be used a good bunch as its a plus and it allows you to c lk if squigs like to upback or you can do H shadows and try out your troubles.

ultimately this matchup is a test of observance of each player's tactics and blowing them up to the fullest. there's nno real straight way to beat X option for neutral.

Edit: this matchup is purely based on who can subtly move who to the corner first. once there both characters have limited options against each other.