• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Gravity Breakers - New Character GERZIL!

Started working on another character: GERZIL

Gerzil is a weird cycloptic alien with some bug-like qualities. I tried not to borrow too many elements from HR Giger but some of his influence definitely crept in. As for the movement, I was going for creepy and erratic.

Weapons:
  • Retractable Spikes
  • Bodily Fluids
  • Parasites

Last edited:
Cool design. Insectoid monstrosities are somewhat underused these days, and the fusion of that motif with what looks like a non-bipedal and leatherbound S&M Gimp is an inventive and striking concept. Looking forward to seeing him in action!

Reactions: mayhemking
Hey, that's a really nice lineup. Even if i'm not completely in love with the artstyle itself, the fact that you went out of your way to make 8 designs of completely different, size, shape, proportions, number of appendages, and wildly varying color combinations totally sells it for me. One thing that completely kills any fighting game for me is two characters being even remotely similar to each other, especially in the department of shape and color scheme, unless they are a clone/remix character. You really hit it out of the park, I'm impressed.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if "Bluejay" were made a proper character.

PS: Sorry, I was gone for a while, so i didn't see anything new like the lineup until now.

@Cheesedragon Thanks! I had a lot of fun designing the characters and making the roster diverse and weird! Tbh some of these characters I've been working on for years and I envisioned some of them being their own separate IPs but I decided to just throw them all together.

Hmmm, Bluejay is a possibility maybe way down the road... I have a lot of original characters I'd like to do before we start doing clones.

Cool design. Insectoid monstrosities are somewhat underused these days, and the fusion of that motif with what looks like a non-bipedal and leatherbound S&M Gimp is an inventive and striking concept. Looking forward to seeing him in action!
Just to clarify that's not leather, that's Gerzil's own webbing wrapped around her body. Oh yeah and he's a SHE. All of the Gerzil soldiers are female.

Heads up, things will probably slow down a bit as I'm doing animation for Rick and Morty for the next 4 weeks. I'll probably only have time to work on the game at night and on weekends. I'm going to try recording myself painting some key art for Dallas this weekend.

I guess I haven't talked about it much here but my day job is as an animator. I've been lucky enough to get a job on Rick and Morty. I'm also doing some contract animation for Lab Zero's upcoming game Indivisible.

Last edited:
Woah, thats....really good. It's a shame you didn't mention Indivisible earlier, seeing as how this is a L0 focused forum. Posting on one of the threads over there will likely get you a lot of needed exposure from the rest of the userbase here, if you're interested. As for R&M.... I would call it a waste of your talent if your specialty wasn't super-weird aliens, so I know you're having a blast over there too.

Even though i'm an aspiring 3D animator, I still envy your situation. Amazing job man.

I've been fortunate these past few years to work on some amazing shows! It's still pretty tough making a living as an animator though.

But, yeah I suck at marketing myself :/

it's okay man.

you're doing good either way!

as one animator to another i support you! Good luck on Rick and Morty!

Ohh, I've been seeing that topic get attention every now and then without really paying attention.
I gotta say I quite regret it, that's some really cool looking stuff there!!!! I love it !!!

You're doing real good >:3

Gal is fine for me. ^^

So after seeing the Dragon Rush mechanic in DBFZ I'm thinking of making a few adjustments to our throw mechanics.
  • increase hitstun so combos are possible after throws
  • increase startup to 7-9 frames (was 2 frame startup)
  • add forward movement on startup frames (I was already planning on adding this to most close range attacks)

So the throw goes from a simple guard-break that leads to a bit of damage+frame advantage to an unblockable combo starter. It's a bit slower to prevent throw loops but still unreactable. We might add a flash or glow effect to help make it clear that you are being hit with an unblockable grab.

OH and here's a mockup for the new UI:

Reactions: North888 and Shan
Heads up, things will probably slow down a bit as I'm doing animation for Rick and Morty for the next 4 weeks. I'll probably only have time to work on the game at night and on weekends. I'm going to try recording myself painting some key art for Dallas this weekend.
Just remember to not overwork yourself!

OH and here's a mockup for the new UI:

The background pops more than the characters in this image.
Cardinal featuring neon red doesn't stand out as much as it should when the background is neon green, with neon pink plants, and all of the HUD is neon colours too.

Perhaps character outlines or something?

For some reason I can only imagine him with Scaramouche The Merciless's voice.

As far as weapons go, I would settle on three or four of those and maybe exclude two or three of them. You don't want to make his fighting style all over the place, and I really like it when FG characters have just one or two tools they use extensively and creatively, like Parasoul. Makes them feel more skilled than having 100 things they use once (like Valentine lol). A small riot-shield would definitely augment his defence in a rather unique way.

The main thing I like is that there's a guy that just wants to go good ol' fisticuffs/kickboxing in a cast full of weirdo alien fighting styles :b(Old Joseph from the Capcom Jojo fighter comes to mind). The classic pugilistic pose you've got already sells that idea well. Hope to see you iterate on it without changing the basic pose too much.

Last edited:
That is a loooooooooong heat-sword. How do you even dodge that first one?
It's slow startup and it's not fullscreen.
giphy.gif

use shield and then dash in. boom.
Also, projectiles pass right through. You might be able to fire off a fast projectile and have enough time to shield before the sword hits you...

Last edited:
Hey everybody, sorry I haven't been very active here but we are hard at work on a new build of the game which will feature:
  • Fully playable NANCY
  • New background art
  • Gameplay adjustments and bug fixes

CQDNUR3MmVWTmvlP3j31u_cys70Zk8pZmjkiAWOfiRN-_AncLj6osb3EP10BXszuwSpSSM1nfwE6l3N7tVlNRBtykG6iVZWQPqjhmt9PJLVdX9YOEcW04ymNBQA74Zrlzs-QFwEzInoMCMgv3yVn0zdI6TaRBSvFaHALSEYvoQEI798Ci1QifnN_HB0334aVt1J8G7lcncCyYGQQG0NGxtCZ9BSArrHk60jTyoNEj7ycj9xuUj4BXN9Qjg8OWef4lQED4Mz7s9L9jjNFzhE9YLrIlJEj-L6DrwV3ChdCdi-TpgYPnd1xUIrJgHUJafqJBym5QI25yZppexuSu464wVXBcOPMDZD4eMEB4VvEC5BTBfo1GT8ly4tcBAy0j0SLkK0WFJgJHMq85ndQcMv72_bc5hJ--Jt7ywTvBWMS-8pom7Uqy5tH-HiTcJErAL65KcKJA2KkIxRnZc-JdwLZe7y-tjsW5y_W0roieBkeI7SzKyWSI3-N5LcD8PthBFiV46RvRuw8f7q1NVQl3qYy_ik0qr7jtPjEQ3bah1X43syOpO-S4ovLAR1UYSbzJ0diXXNUDr0e2UttgHPbeatELl7s9VCyUap1O5QQCziATQ=w1310-h819-no

You can still pay what you want right now for the WIP Nancy build. Note: All itch.io keys will be transferable to Steam. We'll be raising the price to $5 when the Nancy build is ready. We really appreciate any support you can provide!

Also, come chat with us on our Discord server. We're always looking for feedback :D

Reactions: Fumako
Here's a quick gameplay breakdown. I said 'uh' too much lol.